/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Seven Ahruf (styles)?

Danah
02-26-2010, 04:51 PM
There is an info I need to make sure of about the Seven Ahruf of Quran. There are many views on that but the most popular views I found explaining the nature of them are two:

The first view said that they are dialects:
The defination of the term ahruf has been the subject of much scholarly discussion and is included in the general works of the Qur'an. The forms matched the dialects of following seven tribes: Quraysh, Hudhayl, Thaqîf, Hawâzin, Kinânah, Tamîm and Yemen. The revelation of the Qur'an in seven different ahruf made its recitation and memorization much easier for the various tribes.
Source: Versions Of The Qur'an?
and there are some other sources stated that too like here. Al Zarqani mentioned that too in his book "Manahel Al 3erfan"

While the second view said that they are not dialects depending on the narrations of Umar Bin Al-Khatab here:

Some of the scholars said that what was meant by ahruf was the dialects of the Arabs, but this is far-fetched, because of the hadeeth of ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab who said: “I heard Hishaam ibn Hakeem reciting Soorat al-Furqaan in a manner different from that in which I used to recite it and the way in which the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) taught me to recite it. I was about to argue with him whilst he was praying, but I waited until he finished his prayer, and then I tied his garment around his neck and seized him by it and brought him to the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said, ‘O Messenger of Allaah, I heard this man reciting Soorat-al-Furqaan in a way different to the way you taught it to me.’ The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to him, ‘Recite it,’ and he recited it as I had heard him recite it. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, ‘It was revealed like this.’ Then he said to me, ‘Recite it,’ so I recited it and he said, ‘It was revealed like this.’ This Qur'aan has been revealed in seven different ways, so recite it in the way that is easiest for you.’”
(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 2287; Muslim, 818)
It is known that Hishaam was Asadi Qurashi (i.e., from the clan of Bani Asad in Quraysh) and ‘Umar was ‘Adawi Qurashi (i.e., from the clan of Bani ‘Adiyy in Quraysh). Both of them were from Quraysh and Quraysh had only one dialect. If the difference in ahruf (styles) had been a difference in dialects, why would two men of Quraysh have been different?
Source: Islam Question and Answer - The revelation of the Qur’aan in seven styles (ahruf, sing. harf)

So what is the more accurate view here?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Danah
03-01-2010, 10:55 AM
I thought this thread didn't get approval to be posted, why we don't receive PMs notification anymore?

Ibn Abi Ahmed
03-01-2010, 03:03 PM
:sl:

Check this:
http://www.bismikaallahuma.org/archi...of-the-quraan/
http://www.bismikaallahuma.org/archi...-of-the-quran/

Danah
03-02-2010, 08:07 PM
^ JazakAllah khair for posting those link. I read the first one and went quickly through the second one. To be honest, I am getting more confused now with more opinions. Anyways, I think its as the following says:

Therefore, it should be understood from the outset that to arrive at one specific conclusion, and claim with certainty that it alone is correct and all else is wrong, is pure folly. What is desired, however, is to narrow down the various opinions and eliminate as many as possible based upon evidences.
But one more thing though, how to explain this to Non-Muslims who might ask about this? can we show all the opinions that had been taken in this?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!