/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Who has more right over a mans earnings. Wife or parent?

innocent
02-28-2010, 01:48 PM
Salam.
If a man is in UK not working and is being supported by his wife for years and then he gets a job should he be supporting his wife and children first or his parents in Pakistan? His parents have another married son who lives with them.
Who has the most rights to a mans earnings from an islamic point of view?
Jazakallah khair

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Raaina
02-28-2010, 10:39 PM
Well, I thought it would be the wife. Because he is now the head of your family, thats you and him and any children you may have.

But, i'll let someone with more knowledge answer you better :)

*edited because I didn't realise you were a sister lol, sorry. :)

CosmicPathos
02-28-2010, 10:48 PM
No one has any right on man's earning. It is his money and he keeps it wherever he wants.

He spends his money on his parents as much as is required of him Islamically. He spends his money on his wife and children as much as is required of him Islamically. His money is his though. No one has right over it except Allah.

جوري
02-28-2010, 11:30 PM
actually there is a hadith that says,

'anta wa'malak le'abeek' I can't find the hadith right now, but basically, you and your money belong to your father.. Of course no parent really takes advantage of that, but kids should be aware of it..
women should earn their own money as well since life isn't good to anyone.. husbands die, they lose their jobs, they become disabled etc.
so everybody learn a useful craft insha'Allah

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ummu Sufyaan
03-01-2010, 01:52 AM
:sl:

Who has priority, one’s mother or one’s wife?

To whom should a married man should give much preference, either his mother or wife?

Praise be to Allaah.

The Muslim should always give preference to his mother, because it says in a hadeeth that a man said to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “Who among the people is most deserving of my good company?” He said, “Your mother.” He asked, “Then who?” He said, “Your mother.” He asked, “Then who?” He said, “Your mother.” …
(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5514; Muslim, 4621).

But the wife takes precedence over the mother in one case, and that is the matter of spending. If the husband cannot afford to spend on both his wife and his mother because he is poor, then in this case he should put his wife before his mother. The Muslim has to give what is due to each person who has a right over him, and he has to help the one who is oppressed. If his mother mistreats his wife, he has to put a stop to it, in a kind and fair manner.
And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

tigerkhan
03-01-2010, 11:27 AM
There are 4 question on day of Qayamat, one of them is HOW U SPENT UR MONEY.......???
So i think all of us muslims bro and Sis must seek knowledge about spenting money, where to spent, how much and how ???? the the source should be AUTHENTIC ULAMMA, not person like me.
life is exam and to get successfull we must have pass this question mentioned above. So we must have this thing question while spending money... i have seen vv.v.v.v.v.less person in my life who have knowledge/hadiyaat how to spend their Money ( i am also one of them who dont have bu i am trying.....) Anyway i blv no1 is perfect...try to learn more andtry to be more better.i hope all of us will try.......

now reply to above thread....i think HE himself must consult some AALLIM and ask him that i have that much earning and my family is in pakistan+ my wife here, what are the Heading in islam about issue.....
i hope u got.
JZK

cat eyes
03-01-2010, 02:42 PM
:sl: so if the parents are getting all the money what is his kids and wife living on? :hmm: wow a very big responsibility for one person. this makes me a little confused how is one person meant to support a load of people? did Allah not say he did not want to put a burden on anyone that what is to hard for them

well ive heard many a times where the wive is expected to hand over her hard earned money to her parents in law also and the wife is used as some time of a bank rather then a wife cos its just impossible to support your own family and your parents also i mean i think you should ask a scholar about this sis because we don't know what your husband is working at either or what position you are in.

all the best:wa:

Sampharo
03-01-2010, 03:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by innocent
Salam.
If a man is in UK not working and is being supported by his wife for years and then he gets a job should he be supporting his wife and children first or his parents in Pakistan? His parents have another married son who lives with them.
Who has the most rights to a mans earnings from an islamic point of view?
Jazakallah khair
Islamically speaking, spending on his wife and children is a required obligation on the husband based on his ability. If he has enough, and his parents ask, then yes he is required to spend on them too, but spending is required first towards the wife and children, to satisfy all their basic and necessary needs of shelter, food, clothing, eduction etc. and second towards one's parents.

The correct view regarding this matter is based on the hadiths where the prophet -s.a.a.w.- says: "The best a man would eat from is his earnings, and your children are from your earnings so eat from their earnings." (Abu Dawood, Tirmithi, Ibn Majeh and others) Also on the authority of Aisha -r.a.a.- she narrates that the prophet -s.a.a.w.- said: "Your children are a provision for you, He (Allah) provides whom He wishes with females and whom He wishes with males, and their money is yours if you need it." (Muttafaqon Alaih Muslim and Bukhary) This was clear indication to people that they may indeed live off their children's income as long as they can support themselves, because based on another hadith, a person's money first and foremost goes to himself, and then his children, before being spent on anything or anyone else.

The hadith that Gossamar mentioned "you and your money are for your father" is also supporting this (note it was classified weak), and was reported in a matter of a man wanting to collect a debt off his father and was told off by the prophet -s.a.a.w.-.

Just for information, scholars also agree that spending on grandparents and higher is also an obligation if they need it, but it's an obligation on the direct children first, before it passes on to grandchildren if children are incapable.

Now as far as the support of the wife is concerned, it is considered by unanimous view of scholars that it is NOT an obligation to spend on the husband, but is an obligation to spend on the children IF the father is unable to provide for them. If she does provide for the husband out of her free money, then that is an optional choice for her. Evidence derived from Quran "And who received a newborn upon him bears provision of food and clothing in good terms" [2:233]

HOWEVER according to the majority of scholars, spending on the children can be regarded and treated as a debt that the father should pay back when times are better for him if his lack of provision was due to hard times and loss of income, or when he has returned to guidance if his lack of provision was of arrogance and neglect.

Therefore the wife is allowed to treat the money spent on the children during the years of hardship as a debt that the father needs to repay.

وقالوا في قول ثالث إن عجز الأب فالأولى أن لا يتكفف مع وجود قريب ينفق عليهما كالزوجة الموسرة والتي تعد أولى من غيرها بالإنفاق على زوجها وابنه من سائر الأقارب بما فيهم الجد لأب وترجع على الأب إذا أيسر.

That is the opinion of Hanbali and Hanafi scholars and others, whereas Maliki ones who see spending on children in case of inability of father as an expected obligation, should not go back on the father and treat it as a debt.

So after considering the above:
- The wife and children come first in spending.

- The parents of the man have a right in being spent on by their son if they need it or ask for it, and the wife may not object unless that spending is going to reduce the ability to provide the necessities for her and the children.

- the wife may demand that the debt is settled under realistic payment terms until she regains the wealth she used to support the children during this time.
Any further details of how to sort this exactly, you should meet with a scholar to solve it for you.

Wallahu 'AAlam

Raaina
03-01-2010, 03:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes

well ive heard many a times where the wive is expected to hand over her hard earned money to her parents in law
:hmm: I thought whatever money the wife makes she is allowed to keep for herself if she so wishes :hmm:

cat eyes
03-01-2010, 03:18 PM
and there is alot of difference also since the time of the prophet (saw) days and now. most inlaws of today especially in pakistan are considerably wealthy and own several buisnesses compared to earlier times. it would be understandable though if the inlaws were poor it would be a different story then nobody would mind supporting them.

cat eyes
03-01-2010, 03:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mystical_moon
:hmm: I thought whatever money the wife makes she is allowed to keep for herself if she so wishes :hmm:
islamically speaking she is! but some husbands do not care about islamiic obligations

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!