View Full Version : Horrible Handwriting

Beardo
03-07-2010, 06:40 PM
How do you improve your handwriting? :hmm:

Believe me, practice does not seem to be helping much

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
03-07-2010, 06:42 PM
you become a doctor and then everyone just nods in understanding!

:w:

cat eyes
03-07-2010, 06:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
How do you improve your handwriting? :hmm:

Believe me, practice does not seem to be helping much
just keep writing ;D practice makes perfect

Life_Is_Short
03-07-2010, 06:55 PM
Learn braille instead. You won't have to write.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Karina
03-07-2010, 06:57 PM
We were taught caligraphy at junior school and that seemed to work wonders with all of the pupils..... I remember we all developed really neat writing styles.

Shame schools don't focus on that more these days. :hmm:

Danah
03-07-2010, 08:17 PM
I think many people have their hand writing getting worse because most of our writing is "typing" in the computer instead of manual writing in papers. So yeah...practice more can improve it.

Misz_Muslimah
03-07-2010, 08:20 PM
:sl:
HANDWRITING DON’TS:

1. Don’t hold a pen or pencil in a “death grip”.
Too much force can cause joint pain, cramps, fatigue and muscle weakness.
If you write using small print, consider changing to a larger cursive style. Cursive writing is free flowing and requires far fewer strokes to complete.

2. Avoid white knuckles, excessive flexion, or hyperextension of the thumb and finger joints.
These postures can cause forearm stain and even elbow tendonitis!

3. Don’t “plant” your wrist on the table when writing.
Perching results in excessive finger motion to move the pencil.
Planting your wrist will also force you to stretch your wrist to reach across the paper to write.

4. Don’t write with the elbow and wrist flexed.
Left-handed writers are especially prone to these awkward postures.

5. Don’t hold a pen while typing.
Hyper-extending and spreading the knuckles can lead to finger pain.

6. Don’t cradle a telephone while writing.
Many people multitask without thinking. Attempting to write while cradling a telephone can be dangerous.

HANDWRITING DO’S:

1. Use the right (write) tools!
Choose low force writing devices. Replace standard ballpoint pens with easy flow ink fountain pens, roller ball pens or fine line markers. Make sure you don’t have to press hard, and that the ink flows smoothly.
Select writing tools that fit your hand. Pens that are too small or too large can be hard to grip. Try different sizes before you settle on one that fits. Use tape, tubing or grips to increase the diameter of existing pens.
Writing tool surfaces can affect grip. Wrap adhesive or tubing around smooth barrel pens. Textured pen grips can reduce grip force. Place Leaf-It-Finger dots and grips on fingers to increase friction.

2. Maintain proper hand and arm position.
Use your wrist and forearm to move your pen rather than your fingers. Excessive finger motions can result in tighter grips and tired muscles.
Write using neutral or straight wrist positions. Move your entire forearm while writing; your hand should float over the paper. Correct writing technique resembles proper mousing techniques, using the larger and more proximal muscles of your arm.
If necessary, re-orient or slide writing paper up as you write in order to relax your wrist and move your forearm to a neutral position, especially for left-handed writing.
Keep your forearms close to the “handshake” position when writing. Resting on the little finger side of the hand can result in awkward wrist postures.
Write with your elbow in an open angle (more than 90°). Excessive elbow flexion can strain tendons and nerves in the arm.

3. Position writing materials close.
If multi-tasking, evaluate how you use work tools and materials. If you write frequently, place writing materials within easy reach.
For example, when writing on documents placed on a desktop over a keyboard tray, push the tray in close to the desk to reduce reach. Writing stands that lower below the desk can also help bring documents within easy reach.
If writing more than keying, consider using your keyboard on the desktop and place documents in front of the keyboard.
Consider using a writing platform directly above the keyboard to reduce reach. The Microdesk writing platform is an example of a platform that can be used above the keyboard.

4. Position writing materials on surfaces 2 inches above seated elbow level.
Writing on surfaces slightly above seated elbow height helps to maintain an upright posture.

5. Consider sloped desks or writing platforms.
Desktops that slope between 15° and 25° can reduce neck flexion and forward sitting (anterior) postures.
If sloped desks are not available, try writing on angled platforms or use a horizontally placed 3” binder notebook. Position the binder edge away from you.

6. Optimize your workstation design.
Consider desks with cockpits or side extensions on the dominant side. Place writing materials directly beside you and within easy reach.
The chair-desk relationship is important. Make sure you can pull your chair up close to the desk to work. If you can’t get close enough, consider sitting parallel to the work surface to write.
Set up a work area so you can alternate sitting and standing to read and write for a posture change. Use a file cabinet to position materials.

7. Try to vary grip patterns to rest muscles.
Hold your pen between middle and index fingers, rather than between your thumb and index finger. This can help if you experience thumb pain or have arthritic joints.
Tape can provide feedback to reduce excessive grasp when writing. Apply tape loosely over the top of the thumb and index finger while holding the pen in a relaxed grip. The tape will pull when you increase force to remind you to relax.
Hold the end cap of a magic marker lengthwise between your ring and little finger and your palm. Pick up your pen, and continue to maintain a loose grip on the cap.
Anatomically, most grip force comes from the ulnar (small finger), side of the hand. Holding the cap inhibits the grasp reflex and reduces tension when writing. Try using this technique for 5 to 10 minutes at a time. You may need to practice relaxed grip patterns for a few weeks.

8. Left-handers have special issues.
Some left-handers use the “hooked” style of writing as they attempt to see and/or avoid smearing as they write.
Use these tips to improve writing technique:
o Grip the writing device far enough away from the point (about 1-1 ½”) to see what is being written. This also helps avoid smearing.
o Tilt the paper so your arm is at a right angle to the bottom edge of the paper. Position the top right corner closer to you when you write.
o Keep your hand below the writing line and your wrist straight.
o Don’t worry about writing with a right slant. Upright or left-slanted letters are just as easy to read.
Writing can be a potentially harmful repetitive task involving awkward postures and excessive force. Select appropriate tools and set up “writing friendly” environments to avoid injury. Write at a reasonable pace, and take frequent breaks to rest and change postures.

May Allah make it easy for you..
:wa:

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-07-2010, 11:26 PM
^^lol for some reason i didnt understand a lot of those explanations.

i always practiced writing in different styles since i was a kid. I mixed some of the writings together, making my own kind of unique letters lol. I always practiced coz i wanted my writing to always look neat and pretty :D So that improved my writing. When I think my writing is messy coz im writing too fast, others find it neat O.o

Strange.

As for taking our time to write, you can't always write at a relaxed pace. Some professors make u write way toooooo much and they try n speed through fast.

Beardo
03-08-2010, 12:57 AM
^ I can relate to that explanation. Like the "Death Grip"... My hand always hurts and I realized it is because I grip my pen too hard.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-08-2010, 01:13 AM
My hand hurts when they make us write so much :(

Ummu Sufyaan
03-08-2010, 01:30 AM
maybe its the lines of the page that arent helping? i mean, maybe they are too wide/too narrow?

start writing and stop typing?

Beardo
03-08-2010, 01:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan
maybe its the lines of the page that arent helping? i mean, maybe they are too wide/too narrow?

start writing and stop typing?
Do i start scanning my posts onto IslamicBoard? :X

PouringRain
03-08-2010, 02:41 AM
I think some aspects of handwriting are inborn. Obviously, practice can improve ones writing.

I could never in a million years write in the bubbly girly manner that I see lots of girls write in. No amount of practice could get me there.

Misz_Muslimah, good post!

Gossamer skye, Ha! Yes!

Life_Is_Short
03-08-2010, 09:44 AM
Teachers don't care about fancy & neat handwriting, they just want to be able to read it. That's all.

If they can't understand your class work then you have a real problem.

As long as it's not like this:

;D

^I am sure your handwriting is not that bad.

Asiyah3
03-08-2010, 09:48 AM
You could try to change the style.
ps. I love horrible handwritings! It's much more fun to read. :hiding:

cat eyes
03-08-2010, 01:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
^ I can relate to that explanation. Like the "Death Grip"... My hand always hurts and I realized it is because I grip my pen too hard.
that use to happen with me when i was like 10 :hmm:

Is there a pressure in your class not to write messy?

I felt that way in school but id write more messy because i was nervous...

MY Writing is okay but it could be better but if i write a lot it dose improve.

To be honest i never concentrate on how neat my writing is, i concentrate in what goes in to my head so i never really cared about my writing when i want to learn something it takes the focus of everything else.

so i would not worry about it to much

Tony
03-08-2010, 01:58 PM
mines illegible even to myself, i have to write in block capitals all the time bro

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-08-2010, 04:04 PM
I know, how about we all post our handwritings? :D LOL.

I would like to see how all of you write...:D

Would be interesting actually.

Life_Is_Short
03-12-2010, 07:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Light of Heaven
I know, how about we all post our handwritings? :D LOL.

I would like to see how all of you write...:D

Would be interesting actually.
Why don't you start by posting yours? I am sure it's very good.

Periwinkle18
03-12-2010, 08:03 PM
lolz my writings really weird wen i make cards n stuff its realy nice buh wen i write fast or normally it become weird. :P n sometimes its big n sumtymes it small :P

MMohammed
03-12-2010, 08:15 PM
Dont say it Rashad!
Mine handwriting is also very horrible.Sometimes I couldn't read it myself!!
I have practiced alot holding pens with different directions(LOL LOL LOL) but its like my hand says "Do whatever.I will write how I want to" :p:p:p;D;D
Mine handwriting is also known as Doctor's Writing
And I do not feel proudy saying that :D

S<Chowdhury
03-12-2010, 08:21 PM
Sometimes my handwriting is also bad usually when I'm time restricted, but the main problem with me is my writing isn't consistent, one page of writing totally different to another page of writing, it deteriorates or just changes font, i could be writing in a italic style one minute and the next page could be..........:hmm:

Periwinkle18
03-12-2010, 08:29 PM
alhumdulillah i don't hav tht 'doctors handwritting' i've got the cute girlie one :P tht i can change wen eva i want. i can write in many ways except the cursive one thts hard.

MMohammed
03-13-2010, 06:11 PM
You know what?
Girls have enough time to waste for creative handwriting :p LOL LOL LOL IMAO
Boys goal is to write quickly as long as it could be understood(Yeah thats smarty pants :P)
Kidding :P

Cabdullahi
03-13-2010, 09:32 PM
If anyone saw my handwriting they'd think its a 5 year old's scribble :(

I wish i could write like the sisters...so eloquent and neat

MMohammed
03-14-2010, 04:00 PM
Oh My God!
We have many similarities!
- My Handwriting is horrible(Rashad and more)
- I change my font every two seconds(S>Chowdry)
- Its like a five year old boy has written it(Abdullahi)
- Illegible to my self(Tony)
IMAO IMAO IMAO
LOL LOL LOL
:p :p :p

Sawdah
03-14-2010, 04:53 PM
Guys, your handwritings can't be THAT bad, right?
I mean, how bad is bad?

Beardo
03-14-2010, 04:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by seekerofjannah
Guys, your handwritings can't be THAT bad, right?
I mean, how bad is bad?
I'll see if I can scan a page of my notes and post it up here for example's sake.

OurIslamic
03-16-2010, 03:17 PM
Rashad, what hand do you write with? Btw, I'll see if I can post some of my scans of my hand writing so I can show you my different "fonts" haha.

Hayaa
03-16-2010, 06:01 PM
:X Maybe y'all should start using stencils. ^^

Life_Is_Short
03-16-2010, 08:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hayaa
:X Maybe y'all should start using stencils. ^^
Excellent idea!

Re.TiReD
03-16-2010, 10:37 PM
I've always wondered why people cant just neaten up their handwriting :skeleton: its such a pain to read sometimes

Cabdullahi
03-18-2010, 08:22 PM
I need drastic change :(

☆ღUmm Uthmanღ☆
03-18-2010, 08:36 PM
^^^:omg:Was that scrap work?????::hiding:

Cabdullahi
03-18-2010, 08:37 PM
no sister that's my uni work...beautiful innit?

-Fallen Angel-
03-18-2010, 08:45 PM
my handwriting is quite bad imsad

☆ღUmm Uthmanღ☆
03-18-2010, 08:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
no sister that's my uni work...beautiful innit?
:ooh:Yikes!! U need a stencil.:X

Sawdah
03-18-2010, 08:55 PM
^ Really? I don't think it looks that bad..

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-18-2010, 08:55 PM
I doubt anyone would like my handwriting :P

*charisma*
03-18-2010, 08:59 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

Looks average to me...there's a large space between your words though otherwise I really don't think its hard to read or anything.

fi aman allah
w'salaam

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-18-2010, 09:19 PM
Yea it's not that awful...still legible.

Re.TiReD
03-18-2010, 09:33 PM
edit edit edit
Wassalam

Cabdullahi
03-18-2010, 09:51 PM
wow! masha'Allah...how do i join up letters like that

Re.TiReD
03-18-2010, 09:53 PM
edit edit edit

sully
03-25-2010, 10:49 PM
One word-KEYBOARD!!!! The wonders of modern technology *sighs* what a beautiful thing to have!:cry:

Life_Is_Short
03-25-2010, 11:19 PM
My handwriting.

Can you read it? :hmm:

Sawdah
03-26-2010, 12:58 AM
I can read it.
It's nice,mashaAllah. I like it. :)

Beardo
03-26-2010, 01:02 AM
That beats mine by a mile.

'Abd Al-Maajid
03-26-2010, 01:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Life_Is_Short
My handwriting.

Yes, its pretty legible...Masha Allah...I too like this.

Hashim123
03-26-2010, 01:51 AM

:omg: That looks almost identical to my writing!!
Except my words are closer together
I'm a lefty:shade:
It's actually much harder to write with the left hand

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-29-2010, 10:20 PM
Umm....Edit...

'Abd Al-Maajid
03-30-2010, 03:10 AM
^ those links are still in our mail...

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-30-2010, 12:23 PM
Lol wot? It wasnt showing up so...I deleted it.

So u saw it then? :x

Cabdullahi
03-30-2010, 12:28 PM
^ must have been really nice...with the letters all joined up :(

i need to work on my writing.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-30-2010, 12:29 PM
Yours is still nice compared to a lot of guys. Even girls I know have bad handwriting lol. so its not just a girl thing. This kid back in high school had really neat handwriting, was a guy.

I was gunna put a better one up coz that one i scanned n it looked bad plus it was messy lol.

'Abd Al-Maajid
03-30-2010, 12:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Light of Heaven
Lol wot? It wasnt showing up so...I deleted it.

So u saw it then? :x
Yes, I saw them. I thought girls love to write and write it artisticalllllllly :X;D;D;D

jk...legible enough...

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-30-2010, 02:27 PM
lol@ legible enough...thats messy!

'Abd Al-Maajid
03-30-2010, 02:34 PM
^ I meant somewhat legible, pretty legible....;D;D;D

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-30-2010, 02:38 PM
Lol judging by ur comments, yours must be awesome :mmokay:

Show us urs dude...:D

'Abd Al-Maajid
03-30-2010, 02:46 PM

Sorry....;D;D;D;D

Rialah
03-30-2010, 07:15 PM
When I went to school, it was comphulsory that from year 3 in primary school, we had to write with a pen, i.e a fountain pen that you fill with ink from an ink well. Honestly, if you write horribly, you will suffer so much with a fountain pen, we had to make sure we wrote without blotting the book or pludging ink on our things, the number of days I went home with ink stained hands then innumerable, but the number of times I write and people comment on my good writing.....worth it. The down side of course is I find it hard writing with any other pen in the same way but these days i find ease using a rollerball pen which is lightweight.

@ Abdullahi,

You have not seen some peoples writing, I can actually read yours and the annotations and shorthand, I assume they mean something to you which is round about right, or was that your exam answer sheet in which case you need redemption Lol!!!

Fטлку
04-24-2010, 10:32 AM
I still got the childish scrawl i have been stuck with since kindergarten :hmm:

Mine's waay worse x]
And whats avaible? Did you mean to write available?

My handwriting.

I can read it :D

The Ruler
05-03-2010, 01:42 AM
My handwriting.

Yes, and the last sentence to me reads "because U.K has never had a lusting".

Beardo
05-03-2010, 01:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by The Ruler
Yes, and the last sentence to me reads "because U.K has never had a lusting".
LOLOL. I hope that was actually listing. :X

PouringRain
05-03-2010, 03:43 AM
I thought it said "a lasting..." and would finish on another line not pictured. LOL

Life_Is_Short
05-03-2010, 05:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PouringRain
I thought it said "a lasting..." and would finish on another line not pictured. LOL
That's correct. :X

"because U.K has never had a lasting revolution".

shuraimfan4lyf
05-06-2010, 11:15 AM

My hand writing as a kid was pretty good because our teachers used to hit our knuckles with sticks if we mess it up.:phew But after moving to U.S., all those skills went away, it got really bad lol(American public schools suck in all categories) :hiding:

Perfect practice makes perfect ;D

Fטлку
05-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Ow. You were expected to write good with throbbing knuckles? ^o)

shuraimfan4lyf
05-06-2010, 01:06 PM
^^ Lol, Yes if we write in a "disgusting" handwriting.:hmm:

Supreme
05-07-2010, 09:53 PM
My handwriting is messy. I've been trying to improve it all my life, but it's never really been that important. Right now, I'm trying to teach myself how to write coherently with my left hand (I'm right handed).

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!