/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islams view on space

nasir_1990
03-08-2010, 01:14 AM
Recently I've been thinking about the universe etc and I wondered what the Quran said about space and the universe and beyond it?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Sawdah
03-13-2010, 02:45 AM
:sl:
Here's an explanation of the expansion of the universe (Quran & Science video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36nFq...eature=related

Also on stars :

With regard to the stars, the scholars of Islam say that Allaah created these stars for three reasons: to adorn the heavens, to drive away the devils (shayaateen) and as signs for navigation. (Saheeh al-Bukhaari, Kitaab Bad’ al-Khalq), as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“It is He Who has set the stars for you, so that you may guide your course with their help through the darkness of the land and the sea…” [al-An’aam 6:97]

“And indeed We have adorned the nearest heaven with lamps, and We have made such lamps (as) missiles to drive away the shayaateen (devils), and have prepared for them the torment of the blazing Fire.” [al-Mulk 67:5]
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/1528

Hope that helps inshaAllah.
ASA.

CosmicPathos
03-13-2010, 03:08 AM
I do not think that Stars are there to drive the jinns away. There is a difference in stars and comets. Stars dont run across the space, they do rotate and revolve around the center of the galaxy but they dont "shoot around."

I do not think Allah (swt) needs stars/comets to fire away as MISSILES at the jinns. Can I fire away a stone as a missile at the jinn? no ... why would then comets (sort of humongous stones) move the jinns away?

nasir_1990
03-13-2010, 02:10 PM
Thanks for that video, truly amazing how it was written so long ago and yet scientist have recently discovered that the universe expands. All the stars and the galaxys out there and yet we are so small.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ardianto
03-13-2010, 03:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist
I do not think that Stars are there to drive the jinns away. There is a difference in stars and comets. Stars dont run across the space, they do rotate and revolve around the center of the galaxy but they dont "shoot around."

I do not think Allah (swt) needs stars/comets to fire away as MISSILES at the jinns. Can I fire away a stone as a missile at the jinn? no ... why would then comets (sort of humongous stones) move the jinns away?
According to some scholars, there was a mistake in translate/interpret "old style Arabic" in Qur'an into "today Arabic" or other languages. "Rajm" in surah 67:5 is not throw or drive away, but 'tell fortune map' for astrology.

CosmicPathos
03-13-2010, 05:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
According to some scholars, there was a mistake in translate/interpret "old style Arabic" in Qur'an into "today Arabic" or other languages. "Rajm" in surah 67:5 is not throw or drive away, but 'tell fortune map' for astrology.
jazakAllah. Reading that verse as it is translated has weakened my faith in the past as it is completely unscientific, superstitious and grossly wrong. I told my mom that stars/comets are not missiles for driving the jinns away, she only said that i am letting "science" take over my beliefs and was worried about my supposedly decreasing faith ... imsad

The word is properly translated as "lamps." These lamps DO NOT have to be stars or comets. I believe these are meant to be spiritual lamps, which we humans cannot see, but spirits can.

Muhammad
03-13-2010, 05:52 PM

^ Akhee, we are not allowed to interpret the Qur'an based upon our own opinions and limited understanding. To look at the usage of words etc. one must have a solid grounding in the Arabic language and even then, interpretation requires knowledge of the other sciences of the Qur'an (which are many). Note that there are other ayat which also refer to the phenomenon of Jinns being chased by meteors/stars, as well as hadeeth such as the one quoted from al-Bukhaari.

As to the exact nature of the object - whether it is a star or a meteor etc. - Allaah (swt) knows best, but we should acknowledge that such a phenomenon exists even if we don't understand the exact details. If we were to start using our own intellect, this might lead one to think that the whole concept of Jinns is "unscientific", yet we affirm whatever Allaah (swt) has taught us, even if we do not understand it, and have certainty that it is the truth.

And Allaah (swt) knows best.

CosmicPathos
03-13-2010, 07:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad

^ Akhee, we are not allowed to interpret the Qur'an based upon our own opinions and limited understanding. To look at the usage of words etc. one must have a solid grounding in the Arabic language and even then, interpretation requires knowledge of the other sciences of the Qur'an (which are many). Note that there are other ayat which also refer to the phenomenon of Jinns being chased by meteors/stars, as well as hadeeth such as the one quoted from al-Bukhaari.

As to the exact nature of the object - whether it is a star or a meteor etc. - Allaah (swt) knows best, but we should acknowledge that such a phenomenon exists even if we don't understand the exact details. If we were to start using our own intellect, this might lead one to think that the whole concept of Jinns is "unscientific", yet we affirm whatever Allaah (swt) has taught us, even if we do not understand it, and have certainty that it is the truth.

And Allaah (swt) knows best.
:wa:

I understand what you mean. Regarding jinns being unprovable via science, I know that yet still have faith in their existence.

But regarding comets chasing them down, it appears from studies that these comets are orbiting around the Sun and there is nothing unusual about them. They are made of rock and ice and continue to travel in orbits ... I do not see how that can act as a missile for jinns? :hmm:

I also realize that one has to be versed in Arabic to do the correct translation by keeping in view the modern understanding of reality. In this case, it seems inappropriate to wrongly interpret Quran: to say that comets are missiles for Jinn.

Wallahu Aalam.

Regarding faith, yes, we have faith in unseen things. But faith in a seen thing (comet) acting as a missile for a jinn ..... I cant seem to take this leap of faith. I do however agree with the verse in Quran that there are certain things which Allah (swt) has adorned the lowest heaven with and these things are somehow related to controlling devils etc. Allhamdulillah, no reason to reject the verse as that would be kufr. Just trying to properly understand it.

M.A.S.H.
03-14-2010, 12:58 AM
The word is properly translated as "lamps." These lamps DO NOT have to be stars or comets. I believe these are meant to be spiritual lamps, which we humans cannot see, but spirits can.
What about the hadith (mentioned in a previous post) that says these lamps are used for navigation?

Ishaaq
03-14-2010, 01:06 AM

This is incorrect.

The lamps as mentioned in the Quraan are the stars, shooting stars, comets, etc. (the sun is also referred to as a lamp in the Quraan). This is because the verse also mentions that these lamps are located in the nearest heaven, (as there are seven heavens). The nearest heaven refers to the outer space which contains the sun, moon, planets, stars, comets, shooting stars, etc.

And indeed We have adorned the nearest heaven with lamps, and We have made such lamps (as) missiles to drive away the Shayâtin (devils), and have prepared for them the torment of the blazing Fire. (Al-Mulk 67:5)

Ummu Sufyaan
03-14-2010, 01:18 AM
here is something useful, inshallah.

CosmicPathos
03-14-2010, 01:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ishaaq

This is incorrect.

The lamps as mentioned in the Quraan are the stars, shooting stars, comets, etc. (the sun is also referred to as a lamp in the Quraan). This is because the verse also mentions that these lamps are located in the nearest heaven, (as there are seven heavens). The nearest heaven refers to the outer space which contains the sun, moon, planets, stars, comets, shooting stars, etc.

And indeed We have adorned the nearest heaven with lamps, and We have made such lamps (as) missiles to drive away the Shayâtin (devils), and have prepared for them the torment of the blazing Fire. (Al-Mulk 67:5)
Well.

So what is it? Star? Shooting star (comet)? A comet is not made of blazing fire so the verse cannot be referring to that. A star is however never shot! It does not move around like a comet does. A star revolves, rotates around galactic axis OR explodes .... how does it pelt shayateen?

CosmicPathos
03-14-2010, 01:34 AM

This is incorrect.

[وَلَقَدْ جَعَلْنَا فِى السَّمَاءِ بُرُوجًا وَزَيَّنَّـهَا لِلنَّـظِرِينَ - وَحَفِظْنَـهَا مِن كُلِّ شَيْطَـنٍ رَّجِيمٍ - إِلاَّ مَنِ اسْتَرَقَ السَّمْعَ فَأَتْبَعَهُ شِهَابٌ مُّبِينٌ ]

(And indeed, We have put the big stars in the heaven and We beautified it for the beholders. And We have guarded it from every outcast Shaytan. Except him who steals the hearing then he is pursued by a clear flaming fire.) (15:16-18).

It does not say that the flaming fire is that of the lamps/stars/comets.

Ishaaq
03-14-2010, 01:36 AM
Well.

So what is it? Star? Shooting star (comet)? A comet is not made of blazing fire so the verse cannot be referring to that. A star is however never shot! It does not move around like a comet does. A star revolves, rotates around galactic axis OR explodes .... how does it pelt shayateen?
Forgive me for not being a scientist like you, but whatever shooting stars are called (comets or whatever) are what is being referred to in the verse as "missiles", and their purpose is to stop the evil devils and demons and spirits known as jinns from flying up to Allaah the Majestic and obtaining secrets of the unseen. As the commentator of the Quraan, ibn Katheer (may Allaah have mercy upon him) mentioned that the stars which are stationary are not being referred to as the missiles, but rather the stars which are being shot like missiles (shooting stars).

M.A.S.H.
03-14-2010, 01:39 AM
Perhaps "lamps" denotes different celestial objects that share the property of giving off light .. Stars that can be used in navigation. Stars that cannot be used in navigation (I'm not an astronomer, I'm not sure if every star can be used in navigation, if not, those can be used as an adornment) and comets.

“And indeed We have adorned the nearest heaven with lamps, and We have made such lamps (as) missiles to drive away the shayaateen (devils), and have prepared for them the torment of the blazing Fire.” [al-Mulk 67:5]

The problem is that it says we made such (--> refering to the stars used for adornment) stars as missiles.

CosmicPathos
03-14-2010, 02:13 AM
Forgive me for not being a scientist like you, but whatever shooting stars are called (comets or whatever) are what is being referred to in the verse as "missiles", and their purpose is to stop the evil devils and demons and spirits known as jinns from flying up to Allaah the Majestic and obtaining secrets of the unseen. As the commentator of the Quraan, ibn Katheer (may Allaah have mercy upon him) mentioned that the stars which are stationary are not being referred to as the missiles, but rather the stars which are being shot like missiles (shooting stars).
I understand what you are saying. The issue though is that what we know of the stars or shooting stars in astronomy, they do not seem to be acting as missiles for anything ... My issue is the current gap between Quranic understanding of this verse and the cosmic reality of what is happening in the lowest heaven as we can detect/observe it.

I'd like any Muslim astronomer to throw light on this contentious issue.

Ishaaq
03-14-2010, 02:24 AM
Of course its not apparent that the shooting stars are missiles against the devils considering that the devils are invisible.

CosmicPathos
03-14-2010, 02:30 AM
Of course its not apparent that the shooting stars are missiles against the devils considering that the devils are invisible.
precisely. I would also reckon that devils travel at enormous speeds! So if a shooting star is moving towards the devil as a missile with speeds slower than that of light, the devil can just get out of its way ... :exhausted:hmm:

Ramadhan
03-14-2010, 03:28 AM
[وَلَقَدْ جَعَلْنَا فِى السَّمَاءِ بُرُوجًا وَزَيَّنَّـهَا لِلنَّـظِرِينَ - وَحَفِظْنَـهَا مِن كُلِّ شَيْطَـنٍ رَّجِيمٍ - إِلاَّ مَنِ اسْتَرَقَ السَّمْعَ فَأَتْبَعَهُ شِهَابٌ مُّبِينٌ ]

(And indeed, We have put the big stars in the heaven and We beautified it for the beholders. And We have guarded it from every outcast Shaytan. Except him who steals the hearing then he is pursued by a clear flaming fire.) (15:16-18).

It does not say that the flaming fire is that of the lamps/stars/comets.
I agree with you.

I don't think "the clear flaming fire" is comet/meteor, because as you wrote, comets and meteors travel at slow speeds and they are clearly not blazing fire.

I suspect this "blazing fire" to be some sort of exotic particles that are emitted by stars (in the verses referred to as "lamps") or maybe by novas/supernovas that could destroy the nature of djinn.

ardianto
03-14-2010, 03:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad

^ Akhee, we are not allowed to interpret the Qur'an based upon our own opinions and limited understanding.

I know, Akhee.

If I say "According to some scholars .... " it doesn't mean I agree with them.

:)

ardianto
03-14-2010, 03:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by M.A.S.H.
Perhaps "lamps" denotes different celestial objects that share the property of giving off light .. Stars that can be used in navigation. Stars that cannot be used in navigation (I'm not an astronomer, I'm not sure if every star can be used in navigation, if not, those can be used as an adornment) and comets.
At the past, all ship navigators used stars in navigation.

See, history of nautical navigation.

Muhammad
03-16-2010, 04:35 PM

The issue though is that what we know of the stars or shooting stars in astronomy, they do not seem to be acting as missiles for anything ... My issue is the current gap between Quranic understanding of this verse and the cosmic reality of what is happening in the lowest heaven as we can detect/observe it.

I'd like any Muslim astronomer to throw light on this contentious issue.
There is no contradiction between the interpretation of the verse and the cosmic "reality". As we have limited knowledge of both the cosmic reality as well as the Jinn and angels, the exact nature of this phenomenon is unknown to us and we should leave it at that, instead of rejecting its tafseer by the Mufassireen and trying to re-interpret the verse based upon conjecture.

Once again, I would like to remind us that we must be very cautious against interpreting the Qur'an without proper knowledge, which is a very serious matter.

Once, the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam) passed by a group of people arguing over the Qur'an. He commanded them,
"Verily the nations before you were destroyed by this action of yours; they would try to contradict part of the Book of Allaah with other parts. Indeed, the Book of Allaah came to confirm its verses with each other (and not to contradict them). Therefore do not reject its verses due to other verses. When you know something from it (the Qur'an), say it, and if you do not know it, then leave it to one who does know!"

Reported by Ahmad and An-Nasaa'ee; cf. Mishkaat #237
Moreover, the Companions were very strict when it came to speaking about the Qur'an without knowledge. For example, Aboo Bakr one time said, "What earth would give me place to live and what sky would shade me if I should speak about the Qur'aan with my opinion or by something I do not know." And `Umar ibn al Khattaab, he also said, "Beware of using your opinion in religious matters."... (More)

May Allaah (swt) forgive us for our mistakes, Aameen.

Thread closed.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!