/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Neighbors

Beardo
03-11-2010, 11:49 PM
How many of you actually know your neighbors? At what level?

I ask this because I feel majority of us do not have contact with our neighbors, which is not good at all.

“Seek the neighbor before the house and the companion before the path.”

The Arabic saying (NOT a Hadith of the Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhe Wasallam)) is basically relaying that we should first assess the house by its location in terms of neighborhood. Are the neighbors good or are they rowdy/rude?

And a companion before the path: seek someone to go with on a journey. I suppose that means one should not travel alone.

just a few gems I thought I’d share with you.
http://diariesofahafiz.com/home/?p=396

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Strzelecki
03-14-2010, 03:57 AM
I wave sometimes when I drive past.
They know my face?

Life_Is_Short
03-14-2010, 03:01 PM
We knew our non-muslim neighbours really well. We used to send them chocolates, BBQ and iftar during Ramadhan. I don't know what happened now. I think it's the house extension. :(

S<Chowdhury
03-14-2010, 03:28 PM
I use to know most of my neighbours and people in the flats, but since we've moved to a house only know a couple of them :hmm:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Beardo
03-14-2010, 03:41 PM
Yeah, it's pretty sad how we don't keep contact with them. How will they ever know what nice people we really are? :hmm:

S<Chowdhury
03-14-2010, 03:44 PM
I think it also where you live, if you take south Asia countries for example again we are very close knit communities everybody knows everybody, yet in the west it seems everyone is busy with there own life let alone making time for others, and then again some people just like the distant sort of relationship where he doesn't bother and so you won't bother him sort of attitude :hmm:

syilla
03-14-2010, 03:47 PM
When you have a masjid infront of your house... and you have children....you can't avoid having close relationship with the neighbours...huhu.

Twice my aunt forget to pickup my son from school...and the teachers have to walk him home...lol :hiding:

Beardo
03-14-2010, 03:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by S<Chowdhury
I think it also where you live, if you take south Asia countries for example again we are very close knit communities everybody knows everybody, yet in the west it seems everyone is busy with there own life let alone making time for others, and then again some people just like the distant sort of relationship where he doesn't bother and so you won't bother him sort of attitude :hmm:
We act busy, we're not really busy. If we have time to watch a soap opera every day, then we have time to say hi hows it goin to our neighbors.

Throw in a cup of extra water in your soup and share it with them. Throw a few extra grains of rice and give it to them with some curry. No harm in it!

innocent
03-18-2010, 04:02 PM
I read somewhere that you have to keep good relations with neighbours in 40 houses from all directions of your house. So thats 40 houses to your left and 40 houses to your right and 40 houses to your front and 40 houses to your back. How is this possible? Do any of you do this?

Binyamine
03-24-2010, 09:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by innocent
I read somewhere that you have to keep good relations with neighbours in 40 houses from all directions of your house. So thats 40 houses to your left and 40 houses to your right and 40 houses to your front and 40 houses to your back. How is this possible? Do any of you do this?
Peace Mercy And Blessing of Allah be upon all of us.

First time i am hearing of such things:hmm:

Could you if possible provide a source???

marwen
03-24-2010, 09:55 PM
Yes it's possible : you don't have to visit all these 40*4 = 1600 houses in your neighbourhood every day to have good relations with them. But just every time you meet some of your neighbours, you have to be kind with him/her with respect to islam manners : i mean you have to say greeting to them, you have to not hurt them, you have to be patient if one neighour is a little bit annoying :D, and every time you hear that a neighbour has a problem you try to help him if you can or just try comforting him.

Insaanah
03-24-2010, 10:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Binyamine
First time i am hearing of such things:hmm:

Could you if possible provide a source???
:sl:

It's from: No 109, Al-Adab al-Mufrad al-Bukhari, by Imam Bukhari, as far as I know.

http://www.sunnipath.com/library/Hadith/H0003P0006.aspx

See also the following post: http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...ml#post1241641

GuCcI
03-28-2010, 02:08 AM
we have an excellent relationship with our neighbours alhamdulillah. well the neighbours on the right anyway. the neighbours on the left keep getting arrested at least twice a year.

but anyway, with the ones on the right, every ramadan we always share iftar, and wen my parents left for a month, they came by and gave food, and wen i got married she brought by a gift, and one time her oven wasnt working so she used ours and then left me some cake :D ahhh alhamdulillah for the neighbours on the right.... :D

ardianto
03-30-2010, 12:00 PM
My area has turned into business area. So, I make a small office/sales counter in my home.

Neighbor in left side is an old man, he comes to my office everyday and chat with employees here. In right side is a company, they are my customer. And I know other neighbors, some of them also my customers.

Somaiyah
04-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Assalamo alaykom,

I live in an apartment so I have many neighbours above me and below me, but the neighbours to the left and right of me are just two. And I have spoken to nobody except saying "thanks" when the man at the right holds up the elevator door for me, or speaking a little in the elevator with the lady living to the left of me who is mentally handicapped. So I don't call that knowing any of them. Swedes are not very social people lol...

EllyDicious
04-17-2010, 04:22 PM
I don't know my neighbors at all and am not interested in knowing them.
Life has changed. People are busy and more individualists. No time to waste getting to know neighbors more.

ardianto
04-19-2010, 09:24 AM
Sadly, many middle class people in Indonesian big cities have left their easterner values.
They don't know and don't care who are their neighbors.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!