PDA

View Full Version : Arabic helb blease

Re.TiReD
03-16-2010, 01:26 PM
AssalamuAlaykum.

So I've been wondering yeh.

If Al kitabu ahmar means the book is red

And Al ilmu nurun means knowledge is light

Does as-sabrun jameelun means patience is beautiful?

And if that is the case why do people say sabrun jameel when tryina console somebody, like dont worry sabrun jameel....when isnt it that sabrun jameel means beautiful patience?

And also, why is it al ilmu nurun wen that would be the knowledge is light? What if I just want to say knowledge is light?

And kitab ahmar means a red book so al ilmu nurun without the al would mean a light knowledge wouldnt it so either way it doesnt make sense to ma and I'm so confuzzled :(

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Asiyah3
03-16-2010, 01:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hafsah
AssalamuAlaykum.
:wa:
This doesn't sound natural :hmm: I think it should be as-sabru jameel.

al ilmu nurun without the al would mean a light knowledge
I don't think so...

wouldnt it so either way it doesnt make sense to ma and I'm so confuzzled :(
I realize my post is a bit vague... Insha'llah someone more knowledgable will answer your questions.

Re.TiReD
03-16-2010, 02:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by _muslim_
This doesn't sound natural :hmm: I think it should be as-sabru jameel.

I don't think so...

I realize my post is a bit vague... Insha'llah someone more knowledgable will answer your questions.
You're right, I think its as-sabru jameelun

Gah.

BintAbee
03-16-2010, 02:09 PM

Hafsah, I don't get what you confused about, :><: But I just wanna say I love the title of the thread :shade: :X

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Re.TiReD
03-16-2010, 02:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by BintAbee

Hafsah, I don't get what you confused about, :><: But I just wanna say I love the title of the thread :shade: :X

:w:
Bleh you dont get me? Erm ok I got an answer from another sis but I didnt get her answer, she said:

sabrun jameel is just how u would pronounce it, cos u dnt prn the harakat @ the end when stopping

in the ayah its sabrun without the al thats y most ppl say like that? it does make sense like that, it doesnt hav 2 be "patience is beautiful" in an equational way, its just a reminder "beautiful patience"

is it cos u wana write it on a canvas? if so i wd write sabrun jameelun, or fasabrun jameelun orr u could put fasbir sabran jameelan
but probs not as-sabru jameel cos its not mentioned like that?

Re.TiReD
03-16-2010, 02:28 PM
I fink it makes sense to me now, I think my brain is overheated so I cant think straight :exhausted

BintAbee
03-16-2010, 02:37 PM
AssalamuAlaykum.
Wa alaykumus Salaam :)

So I've been wondering yeh.

If Al kitabu ahmar means the book is red
Agreed...

And Al ilmu nurun means knowledge is light
Agreed...

No. As-Sabru Jameelun means patience is beautiful, like the sis muslim said

And if that is the case why do people say sabrun jameel when tryina console somebody, like dont worry sabrun jameel....when isnt it that sabrun jameel means beautiful patience?
sabrun jameel = sabrun jameelun which means a beautiful patience. Sabrun Jameel is just the "stopped" version of Sabrun jameelun. like when you have to stop on an aayah lol.

And also, why is it al ilmu nurun wen that would be the knowledge is light? What if I just want to say knowledge is light?
I dunno. :><:

And kitab ahmar means a red book so al ilmu nurun without the al would mean a light knowledge wouldnt it so either way it doesnt make sense to ma and I'm so confuzzled :(
I don't think so, coz ilm and noor are both nouns, while kitab is a noun and ahmar is an adjective. you can't say ilmu noorun, you'de havta say ilmun noorun, that just makes it 2 nouns: knowledge, light.

Bleh you dont get me? Erm ok I got an answer from another sis but I didnt get her answer, she said:
sabrun jameel is just how u would pronounce it, cos u dnt prn the harakat @ the end when stopping
yeh, just think about when you stop at the end of an aayah in the Quraan.

in the ayah its sabrun without the al thats y most ppl say like that? it does make sense like that, it doesnt hav 2 be "patience is beautiful" in an equational way, its just a reminder "beautiful patience"

is it cos u wana write it on a canvas? if so i wd write sabrun jameelun, or fasabrun jameelun orr u could put fasbir sabran jameelan
but probs not as-sabru jameel cos its not mentioned like that?
agreed... I'd go with Fasbir sabran jameelan... it sounds beautiful :D:w:

Sampharo
03-16-2010, 03:02 PM
Dear Hafsah,

As-Sabru Jameel, means "Patience is beautiful", Patience there having the standing of "The Patience" as a trait. Sabrun Jameelun means "beautiful patience", which is linguistically referring to having patience in hardship, unidentified patience that is. As-Sabru Jameel is actually an expression describing or reminding of having beautiful patience, while Sabrun as it stands is the invitation to maintain beautiful patience. The second is mentioned in the Quran:

فَاصْبِرْ صَبْرًا جَمِيلًا "Faisbir sabran jameelan":Therefore do thou hold Patience,- beautiful patience (in contentment).[70:5]

Also Jacob -a.s.- says it in the Quran when his sons lost Joseph and when years later they came back without Joseph's brother:

وَجَآؤُوا عَلَى قَمِيصِهِ بِدَمٍ كَذِبٍ قَالَ بَلْ سَوَّلَتْ لَكُمْ أَنفُسُكُمْ أَمْرًا فَصَبْرٌ جَمِيلٌ وَاللّهُ الْمُسْتَعَانُ عَلَى مَا تَصِفُونَ
Wajaoo AAala qameesihi bidamin kathibin qala bal sawwalat lakum anfusukum amran fasabrun jameelun waAllahu almustaAAanu AAala ma tasifoona:
"and they produced his tunic with false blood upon it. [But Jacob] exclaimed: "Nay, but it is your [own] minds that have made [so terrible] a happening seem a matter of little account to you! But [as for myself,] patience in adversity is beautiful; and it is to God [alone] that I pray to give me strength to bear the misfortune which you have described to me."

Similarly, Al-Ilmu nurun is "Knowledge is enlightenment", refering to having Knowledge as a trait. It is identified. There is no expression that says Ilmun nurun in the unidentified like that. There is however a duaa: ربي زدني علما "Rabbi zidnee ilman": God, grant me (some) knowledge.

So to answer the questions:
- As-Sabru Jameel does indeed mean "patience is beautiful"
- People say Sabrun Jameelun because it means (maintain) beautiful patience, and because it is the one used in the Quran.
- You can indeed if you wish for example say أي علم نور "Ayyo Ilmin nurun" which means "Any knowledge is light"
- kitabun ahmar works because ahmar is an adjective describing the book, but Al-Ilmu nurun is more "Knowledge is (like) light", nurun is not an adjective. So if you say Ayyo Ilmin nurun, you're really saying "Any knowledge is (like) light". And nur in arabic only means the light that shines, it does not mean the adjective opposite to heavy or opposite to deep, for those are actually خفيف "khafif" and فاتح "fateHH" respectively.

Hope that helped remove a bit of confusion (instead of adding :))

Cabdullahi
03-16-2010, 06:41 PM
Cool i do arabic at cov uni and we just had an exam :)...it was easy peasy alhamdulilah

Na7lah
03-16-2010, 06:54 PM
Also as a side note, you can't add tanween to a noun that has 'Al' in the beginning, so you can't say As-sabrun

Re.TiReD
03-16-2010, 07:40 PM
JazakAllah khayr peoples, that has helped alot! :D

Also, side note, would it be possible for anybody to write the following for me, Laa yakallifullahu nafsan illa wus3aha in arabic, not in standard arabic font but a nice one, like with PS?

Cabdullahi
03-16-2010, 07:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hafsah
JazakAllah khayr peoples, that has helped alot! :D

Also, side note, would it be possible for anybody to write the following for me, Laa yakallifullahu nafsan illa wus3aha in arabic, not in standard arabic font but a nice one, like with PS?
Can we get one art piece through the post free of charge, if we do it ?

Re.TiReD
03-16-2010, 07:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
Can we get one art piece through the post free of charge, if we do it ?
Yeh why not. Write it out for me so that I'm happy with it, email me your address at info@qawarirahart.com and I'll send you your very own piece

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!