/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Cool to be late?

Beardo
03-18-2010, 11:43 PM
I noticed this many-a times. People think it's nerdy and overly formal to be places on time. If they say 5:00 pm, it means 5:30 pm. If you go at 5 pm, you feel out of place. As if you came early. As if you came uninvited.

Why is this? Why do people do things so late? Sometimes there's reasons for it. Sometimes, or most of the time, people just try to act cool or easy going. They want to do some sort of grand entrance and act casual.

am I the only one that notices this?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ğħαrєєвαħ
03-18-2010, 11:59 PM
Aslaamu`alaaykum bro..

Lol its good manners to be on time, its rude to be late.
Unless you have a good reason..
In todays society, well particularly in the western society, its classified as nerdy in the areas where people mostly act cool, where there are gangsters or whatever...

Yeah some people are geeky and are attention seekers, so no your not the only 1, i feel embarrased when im late, and everyone like stares at you. but sometimes its okay...But it is kinda rude to be late, unless your class is empty lol, but still better to be on time..Khayrr hope you get better replies and other geeky answers bro Insha`Allaah

Wa`alaaykum Salaaam

*charisma*
03-19-2010, 12:00 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

Well it does feel out of place at times :X, cuz it's something everyone subconsciously does since its so common and you inevitably will be awkwardly sitting there alone wishing you came later. I remember there was a wedding and I asked why don't we leave now so that we can be there when it starts and the reply was something like, "People won't be arriving yet..we'll leave in an hour." It's for socialization purposes I guess...when you go somewhere you wanna immediately be able to socialize with someone familiar rather than sit there with strangers waiting for familiar others to arrive.

I personally like being on time. I get agitated if I feel that I'm running late.

fi aman allah
wsalaam

Hayaa
03-19-2010, 12:12 AM
:sl:

It's called.. Desi Standard Time! -_-

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IslamicRevival
03-19-2010, 12:29 AM
I know exactly where you're coming from. Its like the in thing these days, Maybe people do it to show other people who's boss and to assert their authority in an indirect way.

May sound strange but believe it or not...it does happen.

Beardo
03-19-2010, 03:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hayaa

I actually heard it's called PST. Pakistani Standard Time. DST probably works better.

Sort of like on our Quiz Shows... One Mufti who participants on the quiz shows was saying we always advertise our shows at 9 PM, but by the time we start, it becomes 9:30 or 9:45.

For those of you who did tune into the show, you guys heard my Urdu time joke. :X

So is it TRENDY to be late? I'd say yes.

جوري
03-19-2010, 04:33 AM
The prophet Ismael (PBUH) used to be known as always on time, in fact one time someone gave him an appointment and the prophet Ismael waited for him all day though the man never showed up.. I can't find reference to this now but I am sure someone can validate this story..

in fact I find it very un-cool for someone to be late.. shows poor character, lack of regard, and disrespect!

:w:

PouringRain
03-19-2010, 04:38 AM
I think some of it depends on where you live and can also be cultural. Where my people originate from (not where I currently live) we are early. It is important to be early. You always want to be a good 15 minutes early. Where I currently live people are always late. If something is supposed to start at 10 a.m., then really it will start around 10:15 after enough people have arrived. I once arrived to a doctor's appointment early, knowing full well I was early and I was prepared to wait with things to occupy my time, and the nurse got so angry at me for being early. She was so upset that she stuck me several times to get my blood and finally sent me to a lab down the street to have it taken. I honestly don't understand people sometimes. :) I was the first patient of the day. You'd think she would have been happy to not have her first patient be late and back up the whole day's list.

Ramadhan
03-19-2010, 04:58 AM
Well, most Indonesians self-acknowledge that we are very tardy. I don't know if it's because we are living in tropical archipelago where things naturally move slowly.
It's kinda changed in big cities though.
Here this tardiness is familiarly known as "jam karet" or "rubber/plastic time", where time is relative and can stretch (hence the "rubber") for hours either way.

Beardo
03-19-2010, 05:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
The prophet Ismael (PBUH) used to be known as always on time, in fact one time someone gave him an appointment and the prophet Ismael waited for him all day though the man never showed up.. I can't find reference to this now but I am sure someone can validate this story..

in fact I find it very un-cool for someone to be late.. shows poor character, lack of regard, and disrespect!

I really wanna read that story. I haven;t heard many stories about Ismael Alayhe Salam.

syilla
03-19-2010, 07:13 AM
In Malaysia... it is a bit rude to come to the 'party' or 'reception' early...but its okay to be late... :D

I know people love to be late because they hate waiting and feel awkward to be the first there. But when you grow older...you seem don't care too much of what others tend to say...you'll just try your best to be punctual... :)

جوري
03-19-2010, 04:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
I really wanna read that story. I haven;t heard many stories about Ismael Alayhe Salam.
I read it so long ago in stories of the prophets in Arabic, along with Prophet Enoch (idris) having a job as a tailor, whenever he'd mend clothes he'd mention the name of Allah swt.. two factoids I never knew before...

There is no way I can locate it on the web now.. hopefully insha'Allah someone will..

Mysterious Uk
03-19-2010, 04:46 PM
Hmm well my family (extended family too) are always late, we call it Bengali time. E.g. if someone says I'll come to your house at 6, they mean 8. If they say I'll be there in 10 minutes, they mean an hour.

ardianto
03-19-2010, 05:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
Well, most Indonesians self-acknowledge that we are very tardy. I don't know if it's because we are living in tropical archipelago where things naturally move slowly.
It's kinda changed in big cities though.
Here this tardiness is familiarly known as "jam karet" or "rubber/plastic time", where time is relative and can stretch (hence the "rubber") for hours either way.
Oh, No ...! You reveal our bad habit to other people !.

;D;D;D

S<Chowdhury
03-19-2010, 09:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hayaa

AGREEED ;D haha soo true, if a wedding function begins at 2pm, you'll begin to get ready at 2pm you'll probably leave around 3pm and arrive around 4 - 5 pm depending on how far it is haha its jus our nature to do this hehe

Ğħαrєєвαħ
03-19-2010, 11:13 PM
Lol funny tho..

Some people get angry if your late..
Some people get angry if your early..
Some dont care..
Weirdd tho SubhaanAllaah

Geeked up peeeps i sayy

islamirama
03-19-2010, 11:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye

Not only that its is unislamic as well. Islam teaches us to good in all things. when you start being "fashionably" late then you are putting due hardship on your brother/sister. I read a lecture by someone that we should learn from the west and imitate good qualities at least since we are so quick to copy the bad ones and don't listen to Islam at all. The west is good in this manner that they know the value of time and they are there in fact 10 minutes early than late. Muslims these days have no value of time at all.

There are still some people who value their own time and others. Who show up on time and expect others to be on time. One friend of mine is like that. They invited few people and this one couple showed up like 10pm when everyone ate, had tea and were getting ready to leave. Then they have the nerve to say set up the table and we'll eat and go, you can go to sleep if you want.

waqas maqsood
03-19-2010, 11:40 PM
Salam to all...

I must say I have this really bad habit... Whenever my parents call and tell me to come home... I always say 10 MINUTES even though i'm 1 hour away...

I say to my friends i'll be there in 10 minutes... yet I meet them after an hour...

that 10 MINUTES is stuck in my mind and is the 1st words that come from my mouth if someone asks 'how long?'

Beardo
03-19-2010, 11:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by waqas maqsood
Salam to all...

I must say I have this really bad habit... Whenever my parents call and tell me to come home... I always say 10 MINUTES even though i'm 1 hour away...

I say to my friends i'll be there in 10 minutes... yet I meet them after an hour...

that 10 MINUTES is stuck in my mind and is the 1st words that come from my mouth if someone asks 'how long?'
:exhausted You and most desis.

Seriously, time is of the essence. Be more punctual.

I don't want to jynx myself. I'm not immune to this syndrome either. It's just a reminder for us all that our time is short. Do things in a concise manner.

SPARkle123
03-20-2010, 12:31 AM
I think it is not funny at all to turn up late for anything, shows such bad manners, and is very upsetting, for example. if you are in a strange place, waiting around for someone you become nervous drawing attention to yourself, people around you start to notice this and begin to stare at you wondering why you are alone looking upset, if you have been invited to someones house at say 6pm, how awful for your host to worry that you will not come, what if they have other plans for latter, when you finally appear a couple of hours late, your host will be very stressed and unhappy because maybe they have made a hot meal that is now spoiled, maybe there was someone else invited along that would really like to meet you, but have had to leave without seeing you because you did not turn up on time,to be late for an appointment or a job interview is extremely rude, and you would most probably loose the job, after all why employ someone who would show no respect for the business, why should someone employ a person who's time keeping is bad, when that person would probably be late in meeting a client who maybe very busy and has had to rearrange the days schedule to meet you. i could give many many more reasons why being late would inconvenience others, but respect is a big reason. time is very precious to all of us, why should someone else's time, be less important than your own.

Beardo
03-20-2010, 12:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SPARkle123
I think it is not funny at all to turn up late for anything, shows such bad manners, and is very upsetting, for example. if you are in a strange place, waiting around for someone you become nervous drawing attention to yourself, people around you start to notice this and begin to stare at you wondering why you are alone looking upset, if you have been invited to someones house at say 6pm, how awful for your host to worry that you will not come, what if they have other plans for latter, when you finally appear a couple of hours late, your host will be very stressed and unhappy because maybe they have made a hot meal that is now spoiled, maybe there was someone else invited along that would really like to meet you, but have had to leave without seeing you because you did not turn up on time,to be late for an appointment or a job interview is extremely rude, and you would most probably loose the job, after all why employ someone who would show no respect for the business, why should someone employ a person who's time keeping is bad, when that person would probably be late in meeting a client who maybe very busy and has had to rearrange the days schedule to meet you. i could give many many more reasons why being late would inconvenience others, but respect is a big reason. time is very precious to all of us, why should someone else's time, be less important than your own.

You hit the spot precisely.

I personally think being on time is apart of honesty and good conduct. Would you not agree that coming late is somewhat dishonest? We just don't look at it like that because it's become such a light thing in society nowadays. Pitiful if you ask me.

GuCcI
03-28-2010, 02:12 AM
people are usually late, not because they want to be cool, but i think its because we just leave things off for the last minute. wen was the last time you saw anyone show up on time for weddings? I was 2 hours late for my own walimah lol

Grofica
03-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Im everywhere 10 min before time... it drives me nuts to be even 1 min late. :-( (blushng)

sully
03-28-2010, 01:52 PM
well erm...I've had dirts and daggers thrown at me for being late...how about you?

S<Chowdhury
03-28-2010, 01:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by GuCcI
people are usually late, not because they want to be cool, but i think its because we just leave things off for the last minute. wen was the last time you saw anyone show up on time for weddings? I was 2 hours late for my own walimah lol
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Hehe ;D ;D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!