/* */

PDA

View Full Version : help plz .. chemistry question

*Yasmin*
03-23-2010, 08:39 PM
how do i know that CHCL3 is nonpolar ? yani i know that it's geometric sturcture is tetrahdral but how the diopoles cancel each other ? how do i know without making calculation for the diopoles ?

thanks in advance

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Alpha Dude
03-23-2010, 08:57 PM
This might be useful. It actually indicates that CHCl3 is polar though. As does this answer.

*Yasmin*
03-23-2010, 09:17 PM
i'm totaly mixed :S i read that it's a nonpolar , there was a question in a small exam to indicate the soluble molecules , so if it's polar so it's soluble right ? but i asked few of my classmates they didn't indicate it !

thanks for your effort brother ..

Life_Is_Short
03-23-2010, 09:31 PM
*Edit*

Sorry, i thought it was was carbon tetrachloride. :embarrass

It's polar. Carbon and chlorine both contribute one electron to the covalent bond that holds them together. But chlorine is a more electronegative atom than carbon. This means that it pulls the electrons in the bond towards itself. It ends up with a slight excess of negative charge and the carbon ends up with a slight deficiency of positive charge. Each of the three carbon-chlorine bonds are polarised and therefore the molecule is polar.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Alpha Dude
03-23-2010, 09:40 PM
If you scroll down (just a bit) to point number 4 here, it says CHCl3 is polar too.

Carbon tetrachloride, CCl4, is another molecure that, like BeF2, is non-polar despite the presence of polar bonds. Each of its four bonds is a dipole. However, because the bonds are arranged symmetrically around the carbon atom, they cancel. As a result, the molecule has no net dipole, it is nonpolar. If one of the Cl atoms in CCl4 is replaced by Hydrogen, the situation changes. In the CHCl3 molecule, the H -> C dipole does not cancel with the three c -> Cl dipoles. Hence, CHCl3 is polar.

*Yasmin*
03-23-2010, 10:04 PM
hmmm i see , thanks alot , i have another question if they asked to indicate all the molecules that are good soluble in water do i indicate this molecule i mean CHCL3 ?

Life_Is_Short
03-23-2010, 10:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *Yasmin*
hmmm i see , thanks alot , i have another question if they asked to indicate all the molecules that are good soluble in water do i indicate this molecule i mean CHCL3 ?
This molecule forms very week H-bonds with water so it is immiscible.

*Yasmin*
03-23-2010, 10:53 PM
hmmm i see yani the dipole is small enough to make it immiscible ...
ahhh maybe this is the reason why some ppl consider it nonpolar !

so thanks sister may Allah reward you .

Life_Is_Short
03-23-2010, 11:00 PM
hmmm i see yani the dipole is small enough to make it immiscible ...
ahhh maybe this is the reason why some ppl consider it nonpolar !

so thanks sister may Allah reward you .
It's still a polar molecule because it has a net dipole moment.

Any more questions?

Kind of a good revision for me. :p

*Yasmin*
03-23-2010, 11:05 PM
no more chemistry questions :D i'm studying bio now :S

what is your specialization sister if i can ask ^^?

Life_Is_Short
03-23-2010, 11:13 PM
no more chemistry questions :D i'm studying bio now :S

what is your specialization sister if i can ask ^^?
I've completed my studies and are now on a gap year. Hoping to get into med school.

You have any biology questions. I love biology. :D

*Yasmin*
03-23-2010, 11:18 PM
^^ oh very nice , in sha' Allah you'll get into med school ;)
you love biology :D while i wanna jump from the window cuz of biology ^^
even tho' till now(just for now^^) no i don't have questions ^^
really thanks for your effort ;)

salam

sully
03-25-2010, 10:45 PM
everyone luuurves Biology coz its the easiest!:p. In my lifetime, yes I am old..., anyways, as i was saying...I've come to realise that men like Physics and women like Biology. Physics is kinda hard I must say buts its prob the most useful when it comes to saving money...I mean at electricity costs or finding out other stuff-geeeky stuff:D

*Yasmin*
03-26-2010, 11:07 AM
biology is the easiest ??????? it's known that biology one of the hardest subjects in medicine faculty !

CosmicPathos
03-26-2010, 11:19 AM
biology is the easiest ??????? it's known that biology one of the hardest subjects in medicine faculty !
what do you mean? There is no subject called "biology" especially in any medicine faculty.

CosmicPathos
03-26-2010, 11:23 AM
The molecule has a net dipole moment because the electronegativity difference of C-H bond is not sufficient to counter act the electronegativity differences of C-Cl bonds and there are three of them. If it was CCl4 then the molecule would still have polar bonds but would not be polar itself because the moments cancel each other out.

*Yasmin*
03-26-2010, 11:26 AM
what do you mean? There is no subject called "biology" especially in any medicine faculty.
no there is , at least in my uni ?! i'm learning pharmacy and i did learn a course called bio.

CosmicPathos
03-26-2010, 11:30 AM
no there is , at least in my uni ?! i'm learning pharmacy and i did learn a course called bio.
This is interesting. But again, UK system is weird with all that M.Phil and D.Phil stuff and a program is called "course" :p

Life_Is_Short
03-26-2010, 01:17 PM
Yeah there is pure Biology degree. Biology is easy compared with physics and maths at university level. At GCSE level i would say all of them are a walk in the park.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!