/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Pocket money

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
03-30-2010, 10:35 PM
How much did you get and how much would/do you give to your kids?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Bungy Dude
03-30-2010, 10:40 PM
I work for a debt counselling charity and do budgets with people everyday, most tend to give around £10 a month for children over say 6, but tbh I think thats spoiling them or setting them up for being greedy later.

As we werent well off, all my brothers and sisters used to get £1 at eid and £1 on birthdays, its was best when we got these in coppers so we could jingle them in the pockets. Ah to be a kid again..

Life_Is_Short
03-30-2010, 10:40 PM
I never got/get regular pocket money. Whenever i need to get e.g. books i just ask my parents for money.

-Fallen Angel-
03-30-2010, 10:47 PM
I didn't get much pocket money, if ever. The only money i got was on on eid or on other special occasions, and if i needed anything i asked my parents. But i wouldn't give my children pocket money, who knows what they may spend it on, instead i would buy them whatever they want, and they are mature and older then i would give them money.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Lonely Gal
03-31-2010, 07:58 PM
we didnt really get pocket money as kids, if mum and dad had to go far away for the day, we'd get 1pound which we'd get a video or sweets..
if we was really good we might get another pound but nothin that was regular..
as i got bit older i started takin 5 pounds of me dad lol (daddy's lil girl) but then that soon stopped too loll
kids are spoilt these days with far too much treats, us kids hardly had anything as kids, but we didnt go without the important things and i think its done us good than harm...

bint begum
03-31-2010, 11:29 PM
:sl:

I get £10, sometimes £20 a week. If I have children, then they'd get £5 a week.

aadil77
03-31-2010, 11:36 PM
don't give them any or they'll get too independent, just choose to buy them what they need or want

جوري
03-31-2010, 11:38 PM
Think you can give them a basic allowance and if they want more then you can have them do chores to earn it.. in general I think that is a good method.. so maybe set the table when it isn't their turn or vacuuming or mowing the lawn or cleaning the bathroom etc...

my family tends to do it in times of good grades as an encouragement (to nieces and nephews) .. been a while since I had an allowance and I must say it was meager I used to spend it all in one day on toiletries and then complain lol

:w:

Beardo
03-31-2010, 11:49 PM
Now that I drive, my parents give me grocery and gas money.

GuCcI
04-01-2010, 12:38 AM
I did not get pocket money..., only Eid money, and that too only on Eid.

I would not give my kids pocket money. I don't believe in giving kids money at an early age. I think pocket money can be given in high school - but that too only once in a while, and not on a regular basis.

And even if I do give money, it'll be quarters and dimes - no bills!

Nimboo
04-01-2010, 09:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bungy Dude

As we werent well off, all my brothers and sisters used to get £1 at eid and £1 on birthdays, its was best when we got these in coppers so we could jingle them in the pockets. Ah to be a kid again..

We weren't well off either, but My dad used to drop £10's and £20's then work extra to make do.

If I have kids, I will teach my kids not to be materialistic and reward them in other ways.

Ummu Sufyaan
04-02-2010, 08:22 AM
i would give as much and at whatever age i feel they will take responsibility of it and know how and what to spend it on.

if they wanted to buy something in particular for themselves, i would tell them to save up for it so that they know how to take care for their money and mature in that respect.

aadil77
04-02-2010, 08:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan
i would give as much and at whatever age i feel they will take responsibility of it and know how and what to spend it on.

if they wanted to buy something in particular for themselves, i would tell them to save up for it so that they know how to take care for their money and mature in that respect.
That is good, but doin it from a young age can be bad, I've seen my younger brother try to become to independent and greedy cause of money he's been given. They're still kids and they might want to buy crap thats a waste money and if you stop em they'll say its my money and I can spend it on what ever I want, thats why if you just provide for them they'll learn that they are dependant on you and that they can't just buy rubbish when ever they want. You can keep money given to them in a savings box or account only giving it to them when they're mature enough to know how to spend it.

Later when they're enough they can get part time jobs and learn to provide for themselves

Ummu Sufyaan
04-02-2010, 08:59 AM
^fair enough, but what i was getting at is that only after a certain age then i would implement that method. obviously, giving them money from the age of three, for example and telling them to go spend it on what ever they want, is disastrous.
its important to teach them whats useful to buy (not just what they want) and whether or not its worth its value, BEFORE they reach that age. i think they should pick up on that kind of thing through their parents...so the parent should be as moderate in their spending habits as possible, knowing that's what their kids are most likely to pick up on.

i remember in the past the kids in my family would want something in-particular so they would save up and spend their Eid money, or money that their parents give them for doing odd jobs around the house. i think something like that is ok, because the kid gets what they want, and has gained it in a way that makes them realize they need to be smart about spending. also, i think it gives them a sense of satisfaction, knowing that their parents gave them a responsibility that they were able to fulfill.
of course, you would guide/advice them if they wanted something useless, etc.

i dont think at any stage of their childhood, children should be taught that money is so precious (or a bad thing) that they cant go near it or dont see it. i think its important for parents to teach their kids about spending from an early age that way they dont grow up all stingy and/or have no idea about how to spend.

aadil77
04-02-2010, 09:05 AM
^Yeh definately, they can't grow up stingy and they should be taught how to spend, now whenever my lil bro gets money he insists on giving it as zakah

Asiyah3
04-02-2010, 10:01 AM
I didn't get pocket money except on Eid £20 (later 50£). I asked my parents for money whenever I needed to buy something.

I'd give my kids money when they ask or need it perhaps I'd ask them to do some chores to ear in, and not some regular pocket money. Also, I'd buy them whatever they need as I wouldn't want them lack or be in need of anything "essential". As my father did, we mostly had everything at home.

S<Chowdhury
04-02-2010, 10:13 AM
Pocket Money/Allowance wow new terms to me haha if you got desi parents you living under the roof and providing the basics is allowance anything extra you earn it unless its educational we never put a price on education lol, i joke, but its true about education we never put a price on that, but pocket money never received its more when i need something I'll ask for it and if its reasonable then you usually get it, apart from the special occasion such as Eid and things that when we receive a bit of money but most things you want you gotta earn it and not by doing crappy chores at home, your suppose to do that anyway money shouldn't be an incentive to that. But going out into the real world and earning now that's working mind you I'm talking about children above the age of 15/16 to go out and work part time if they really want something

aadil77
04-02-2010, 10:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by S<Chowdhury
Pocket Money/Allowance wow new terms to me haha if you got desi parents you living under the roof and providing the basics is allowance anything extra you earn it unless its educational we never put a price on education lol, i joke, but its true about education we never put a price on that, but pocket money never received its more when i need something I'll ask for it and if its reasonable then you usually get it, apart from the special occasion such as Eid and things that when we receive a bit of money but most things you want you gotta earn it and not by doing crappy chores at home, your suppose to do that anyway money shouldn't be an incentive to that but going out into the real world and earning now that's working mind you I'm talking about children above the age of 15/16 to go out and work part time if they really want something
hahaha yeh ;D we didn't get bribed by pocket money to do chores like english parents have to do, thas just standard or you get battered.

Yh true about educational stuff, anythin you want - it has to be educational, like a laptop or sumin lol. Once I had to convince my mum that a trip to disneyland in paris was educational lol, she fell for it!

Eid money is standard, kind of like christmas for us, money or presents from good results - standard. Unlike english anythin less than A's didn't count.

S<Chowdhury
04-02-2010, 10:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
hahaha yeh ;D we didn't get bribed by pocket money to do chores like english parents have to do, thas just standard or you get battered.

Yh true about educational stuff, anythin you want - it has to be educational, like a laptop or sumin lol. Once I had to convince my mum that a trip to disneyland in paris was educational lol, she fell for it!

Eid money is standard, kind of like christmas for us, money or presents from good results - standard. Unlike english anythin less than A's didn't count.
^^^^ Disneyland in paris is educational it is you just don't see it, firstly by travelling to foreign country there is experience in travelling, going to France your learning French :hmm:, going on the roller-coaster there is your science being in a theme park/resort - Business studies, going to the Disney Studio - Media Studies the list is endless LOL haha

Yeah standard about doing good in results and education in general A not gd enough bro A* anything below that is bad LOL, im joking just pass with decent grades is good enough i believe we shouldn't put so much pressure on a child but using a bit of financial gain or perhaps buying them there first car or paying for a few driving lessons won't hurt.

True that about chores though haha "somebody gonna get hurt" if they ain't done hehehe

aadil77
04-02-2010, 10:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by S<Chowdhury
^^^^ Disneyland in paris is educational it is you just don't see it, firstly by travelling to foreign country there is experience in travelling, going to France your learning French :hmm:, going on the roller-coaster there is your science being in a theme park/resort - Business studies, going to the Disney Studio - Media Studies the list is endless LOL haha
Nah bro that sounds like something I said to convice my parents, this was an economics trip, we learnt nothing relating to economics or anything that would help us in exams, it was just a pure doss about.

And Lol who's gonna bother with french when all the workers speak english? :hiding:

S<Chowdhury
04-02-2010, 10:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
Nah bro that sounds like something I said to convice my parents, this was an economics trip, we learnt nothing relating to economics or anything that would help us in exams, it was just a pure doss about.

And Lol who's gonna bother with french when all the workers speak english? :hiding:
I was just joking Brother i went disney land paris aswell for business studies trip and i don't even do business LOL pure fun fun fun hehe, but we stayed outside the resort in another hotel so you picked up a little French lol Bonjour haha :p

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!