/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Vomitting

Supreme
04-03-2010, 06:59 PM
...is one of the worse feelings. I hadn't vomitted in years until today, where I thought I was going to vomit my organs out. It's a horrible feeling, where your body tightens and I couldn't breathe. It also leaves a disgusting aftertaste.

However, I understand there are some people medically savvy members here, so can someone answer me this: after I'd vomitted, I was blind for three or four minutes. Like, everything was dark, even outside, although I could just about make out the outline of things. What could have caused this? Obviously I was panicking, as I thought I had lost my sight. Also, I haven't eaten anything today since breakfast, which I vomitted back out. Do you think if I have a good nights sleep tonight, I will be alright to have breakfast tomorrow? I ask because being hungry (and right now I am starving) is far better than vomitting, although it's not nice either.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Dagless
04-03-2010, 07:22 PM
Call NHS direct and see what they say - 0845 4647.

marwen
04-03-2010, 07:23 PM
I'm not good in medecine to give you an advice, but I hope you will feel all right.
I don't think vomiting is bad, I think vomiting is good to purify our stomack and body. I usualy feel better after vomiting.
Concerning the blindness, sometimes I feel blind after vomiting because of the tension I had to do, but not for so long. I don't know if it's the same cause for you. and it depends on the reason why you vomited (sickness : flu, fever..., haven't sleep enough, ...)

I think there is some learned members here who can give you a more medical advice.

Hope you feel better :)

And yes, I think a good sleep can repare everything, and you can have your appetite again.

جوري
04-03-2010, 07:31 PM
how old are you and did you have any trauma to the back of your head prior to the vomit episode? did you have any other retching episodes since and was this the first time you experienced this blindness after such an episode? was there an accompanying headache or any other alarming symptoms? what did you eat or what do you think brought on the vomiting episode?

temporary blindness can be caused by any number of things.. I suspect what you have is what we call '' amaurosis fugax'' you can google that see if it applies to you and either way I'd definitely see someone about it so they can run some tests..

and Allah swt knows best

hope you feel better

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Supreme
04-03-2010, 07:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by marwen
I'm not good in medecine to give you an advice, but I hope you will feel all right.
I don't think vomiting is bad, I think vomiting is good to purify our stomack and body. I usualy feel better after vomiting.
Concerning the blindness, sometimes I feel blind after vomiting because of the tension I had to do, but not for so long. I don't know if it's the same cause for you. and it depends on the reason why you vomited (sickness : flu, fever..., haven't sleep enough, ...)

I think there is some learned members here who can give you a more medical advice.

Hope you feel better :)

And yes, I think a good sleep can repare everything, and you can have your appetite again.

Thank you. I had been experiencing nausea all morning, and it was such a relief to vomit, as this expelled the feeling. Although the feeling of not being able to breathe followed straight after by temporary blindness panicked me. I also felt like I was going to faint. It was a feeling like I didn't know what was going to happen to me and I couldn't stop it, so I may as well go with the flow.

how old are you and did you have any trauma to the back of your head prior to the vomit episode? did you have any other retching episodes since and was this the first time you experienced this blindness after such an episode? was there an accompanying headache or any other alarming symptoms? what did you eat or what do you think brought on the vomiting episode?
I'm 18 and I had no trauma in the back of my head. I had no retching episodes since, and yes, this was the first time I'd experience blindness. I did have a headache afterwards, although that is now gone with the help of paracetamol. I think it's a bug or virus, as my sister vomitted this morning too, although not with the blindness. I don't think it's food poisoning.

temporary blindness can be caused by any number of things.. I suspect what you have is what we call '' amaurosis fugax'' you can google that see if it applies to you and either way I'd definitely see someone about it so they can run some tests..
I googled it and it is something to do with strokes...? Although, I don't think it's serious enough to see somebody about it.

Gossamer, you appear more medically knowledgable than me, however I have studied biology, and from what I remember, white blood cells produce antibodies to counter viruses/bacteria. If this is a 'bug', do you reckon my body will have produced antibodies to stop it coming back?

Cheers everyone.

Supreme
04-03-2010, 07:51 PM
It's also worth bearing it mind, it wasn't *complete* blindness- I could still see and make my way downstairs, but it was as if someone had switched the lights off, even when I pulled the curtains and looked out into blazing sunshine, it seem almost pitch black.

جوري
04-03-2010, 07:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme

I'm 18 and I had no trauma in the back of my head. I had no retching episodes since, and yes, this was the first time I'd experience blindness. I did have a headache afterwards, although that is now gone with the help of paracetamol. I think it's a bug or virus, as my sister vomitted this morning too, although not with the blindness. I don't think it's food poisoning.
then most likely it was a benign episode!

I googled it and it is something to do with strokes...? Although, I don't think it's serious enough to see somebody about it.

Gossamer, you appear more medically knowledgable than me, however I have studied biology, and from what I remember, white blood cells produce antibodies to counter viruses/bacteria. If this is a 'bug', do you reckon my body will have produced antibodies to stop it coming back?

Cheers everyone.
surprisingly wiki has a good lay-man article on Amaurosis fugax.. it doesn't necessarily have to do with stroke it literally translates to transient darkening and any number of things cause that as is mentioned:

embolic, hypoperfusion, angiospasm, and unknown

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amaurosis_fugax

I suspect you had a severe episode of retching that partially caused a vasospasm to the vessles in your brain due to hemodynamic instability & yes though I am willing to bet given your young age and the fact that this an isolated episode that it isn't serious, nonetheless you shouldn't leave anything to chance, and should go check with your GP simply to get the clear.. they should run some basic tests on you make sure everything is running as it should.

all the best

جوري
04-03-2010, 09:27 PM
sorry I just read the last part of your query..
I think you probably had a self-limiting episode of gastroenteritis.. sure your body will make antibodies but there is a zillion serotypes so if you get this sick again in a similar fashion hopefully you won't think your body has betrayed you just that there are many bugs out there..

if it doesn't kill you it can only make you stronger as the adage goes..

peace

Supreme
04-03-2010, 09:35 PM
Thank you very much Gossamer.

I'm starting to feel sick again, although I suspect it's more out of hunger than anything else (at least I hope it is). Would pepsi trigger sickness again would you think? Because I've deliberately not eaten anything all day so to stop myself being sick, but pepsi cures both my thirst and my hunger. I really don't wanna be sick again and I'm going to bed in a minute.

Thanks for all your help and advise so far.

جوري
04-03-2010, 09:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
Thank you very much Gossamer.

I'm starting to feel sick again, although I suspect it's more out of hunger than anything else (at least I hope it is). Would pepsi trigger sickness again would you think? Because I've deliberately not eaten anything all day so to stop myself being sick, but pepsi cures both my thirst and my hunger. I really don't wanna be sick again and I'm going to bed in a minute.

Thanks for all your help and advise so far.
do you have saltine crackers in England? I recommend you have some ginger ale and saltine crackers and nothing else until your bowels settle down.. usually when people are very sick we put them on a liquid diet if severe they are made NPO and if you can eat then you start off with saltine and ginger ale..

let's us know how you are..

peace

جوري
04-03-2010, 09:44 PM
this is what you are allowed to have for the day..

Supreme
04-04-2010, 10:37 AM
I feel much better, just had breakfast :-). Although, I only had a maximum of two hours sleep last night, and I have had to give church a miss today, on the most important date in the Christian calender. Oh well, life's a *****. I'm just happy God answered my prayers for better health.

marwen
04-04-2010, 10:55 AM
Happy to hear that brother. Hope you a good health everyday. Take care.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!