/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Double Standard?

Beardo
04-07-2010, 05:31 AM
Is it double standard if I act poor in front of a poor friend and then act normal with my normal class friends?

By poor, I don't mean poor poor, but like, I won't take out my iPod or text in front of them, etc.

Poor is a harsh word to use, some say. But the fact of life is that not everyone is rich. Not everyone is middle class. So anyway, please excuse me if the word choice offended anyone.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Nokiacrazi
04-07-2010, 05:33 AM
I would consider it being modest. You are trying to look out for the feeling of others, because you may think that people may be upset if they see you with wealth.

Alpha Dude
04-07-2010, 08:45 AM
:sl:

I wouldn't say it was a double standard. I'd actually consider it a wise thing to do bro. I'm sure we know the story of Luqman Alaihe Salam in which he ate a watermelon given to him from his boss and gave off the impression that he liked it even though it wasn't all that good just to not hurt the boss's feelings. :)

CosmicPathos
04-07-2010, 07:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
Is it double standard if I act poor in front of a poor friend and then act normal with my normal class friends?

By poor, I don't mean poor poor, but like, I won't take out my iPod or text in front of them, etc.

Poor is a harsh word to use, some say. But the fact of life is that not everyone is rich. Not everyone is middle class. So anyway, please excuse me if the word choice offended anyone.
I think its very good act on your part. Something only a believer can think of. Most people in this world are not rich and they cannot afford to buy such these things yet they have such pure hearts. Just to use one's wealth in front of them, or showing it off, might make them sad about their fate, I doubt they would care if htey had a pure heart but they might feel low that they dont have enough money its a normal human emotion, but its not a good gesture and Allah might not like it you using your luxuries in front of them. So its a good thing that you are doing, I cannot imagine a godless man thinking about others in that way and due to this affect of Islam on believers I find attraction in the deen.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ardianto
04-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Be yourself, bro Rashad.

You don't need to hide what you have from your poor friends, but of course don't ever tell them "Look, I have it, I have that". It's OK to use your expensive stuff in front of them when you NEED to use it (not when you WANT to use it).

And, is it double standard if you act poor in front of poor friends and act rich in front of rich friend ?.
Yes !. It is double standard, and this is not good because it is means you treat your friends differently.
Always treat your poor friends same as you treat your rich friend.

(Actually, I don't like like to use term "Poor")

aadil77
04-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Bro no need to act this way, if your friend has some sense in him he'll know these are just comman items of dunya that people have and nothing to feel deprived of

Salahudeen
04-08-2010, 11:26 AM
It's very considerate of you, I also have a friend like this, and whenever I buy something like a packet of crisps or chcolate bar I get him 1 also cos I know he wants it but can't cos he;s counting his pennies.

cat eyes
04-08-2010, 12:02 PM
i just love buying stuff for people, of course they never tell me that they dont have the money but i kinda know well enough but there to afraid to say anything food is not a problem

but over here where i live people are very spoiled when this country started booming, a person earning 6 to 7thousand euro per month would be classed as middle class and not wealthy

a rich person over here is one that can buy a house for half a million. so what is rich and what is middle class. i would say that we are just okay. poor is a harsh word to use. none of us are dirt poor if we have food and shelther

Mr.President
04-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Don't admit you as a rich or poor guy just talk / be a friend if he ask just give him a reply like aboobakkar siddeek RAA gave when prophet muhammed SAW and aboobakkar siddeek RAA on hijrath

What if the poor man get to know that you are rich man
he might think u r acting in front of him some times he may feel uneasy

Life_Is_Short
04-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Say you do take your ipod out. How do you think your friend must feel?

It really depends on the kind of friends you have. Does your friend care about material possessions?

Mr.President
04-08-2010, 12:41 PM
^_^

ohh you got an ipod I don't have an iPod !!!! lol

why you wanna take ur iPod out to see ur friend ?

ardianto
04-08-2010, 02:34 PM
It's OK if you show your poor friends you have delicious foods if you share this foods with them.
It's OK if you show your poor friends you have a car if you use this car for go with them.

But don't ever show only. In example, you show them you have delicious food then you eat it alone, or show your poor friends you have a car then say goodbye and go only with your rich friends.

Beardo
04-08-2010, 04:04 PM
A few of you above mentioned to just be myself and act normal. Thing is, certain human traits are natural. Jealousy etc, sometimes cannot be prevented by simple means. It's not that I think bad of them or that I think they have those qualities, but to be on safe side from evil eye, you know?

ardianto
04-08-2010, 04:42 PM
A few of you above mentioned to just be myself and act normal. Thing is, certain human traits are natural. Jealousy etc, sometimes cannot be prevented by simple means. It's not that I think bad of them or that I think they have those qualities, but to be on safe side from evil eye, you know?
After you tell me your reason ................., I know.

Dagless
04-08-2010, 04:50 PM
Trust in Allah, if you start worrying about the evil eye over things like this you'll basically be living in fear. This is your friend! If you can't be yourself around friends and family then when can you be yourself?
Use the ipod (its purpose is to be used right?) but don't flaunt it. I'm sure you know the difference.
Your friend probably has a music player on his phone, if not then get him a phone with one for his birthday (you can use the money from the vbulletin refund ;) j/k).
Act normal, don't boast but also don't give in to fear or deprive yourself from using something you bought for a purpose. Your friend would not like you doing that and people are not all as jealous as you seem to think. I doubt he'll care too much (I mean pretty much every kid in a western country has an ipod these days).

zakirs
04-08-2010, 05:20 PM
If you are doing this because you are trying to avoid hurting people's feelings , then thats really GOOD.If you want to avoid showing off , then thats good. If you do it for the sake of evil eye then BLEH, grow up :)

Beardo
04-08-2010, 05:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless
Trust in Allah, if you start worrying about the evil eye over things like this you'll basically be living in fear. This is your friend! If you can't be yourself around friends and family then when can you be yourself?
Use the ipod (its purpose is to be used right?) but don't flaunt it. I'm sure you know the difference.
Your friend probably has a music player on his phone, if not then get him a phone with one for his birthday (you can use the money from the vbulletin refund ;) j/k).
Act normal, don't boast but also don't give in to fear or deprive yourself from using something you bought for a purpose. Your friend would not like you doing that and people are not all as jealous as you seem to think. I doubt he'll care too much (I mean pretty much every kid in a western country has an ipod these days).
Thing is, in college... I noticed the main subject of discussion is working alongside school. Some of them work full-time and also attend full-time in college. Here I am jobless and sitting among them. Taking out my iPod or something along those lines... That definitely must attract some attention. You know what I mean? :X

zakirs
04-08-2010, 10:43 PM
Thing is, in college... I noticed the main subject of discussion is working alongside school. Some of them work full-time and also attend full-time in college. Here I am jobless and sitting among them. Taking out my iPod or something along those lines... That definitely must attract some attention. You know what I mean? :X
of course .. they must be thinking -> " there goes the spoilt rich brat , taking out his ipod" :) ..

GuCcI
04-09-2010, 02:46 PM
It really depends on your friends if things like this bother them. I dont have any of the iCrap products but most of my friends do, and they're constantly on them but do I care... nope... and if they tried to hide it and show 'modesty' I'd be like, how low do you think I am to feel bad for not having an iPod/smart phone,etc???

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!