/* */

PDA

View Full Version : POLL: For Reverts to Islam, what belief did we come from?

Woodrow
04-09-2010, 06:12 PM
Many of us on this forum are reverts from other religions. I (and perhaps others) am curious as to what our past belief was.

I know it would be impossible to do a poll that would apply to all of us as we do come from many backgrounds. For that reason I am putting up an other option. If you use that please post what.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Somaiyah
04-09-2010, 09:13 PM
Assalamo alaykom,

Wow you really got every belief in the same poll lol ;) I was protestantic Christian, very active believing though and not passive.

Rabi Mansur
04-09-2010, 09:28 PM
The last thing I actually belonged to was Mormon. I'm probably the only one on here coming from that background.

:wa:

glo
04-09-2010, 09:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by rabimansur
The last thing I actually belonged to was Mormon. I'm probably the only one on here coming from that background.

:wa:
Did you follow other religions before then, rabimansur?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Rabi Mansur
04-10-2010, 02:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Did you follow other religions before then, rabimansur?
No, I was born a Mormon and lived as a very "active" member for many years. With time I realized it was a false religion, based on the lies of its founder and "prophet" Joseph Smith. Since losing my faith I have been investigating a lot of different beliefs but I never really followed any other religions. Islam seems to me to make the most sense. I'm still learning about it and am new to it. But it is the way I feel Allah wants us to live. One God, and a final messenger.

Peace and love.

Aprender
07-12-2012, 02:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rabi Mansur
No, I was born a Mormon and lived as a very "active" member for many years. With time I realized it was a false religion, based on the lies of its founder and "prophet" Joseph Smith. Since losing my faith I have been investigating a lot of different beliefs but I never really followed any other religions. Islam seems to me to make the most sense. I'm still learning about it and am new to it. But it is the way I feel Allah wants us to live. One God, and a final messenger.

Peace and love.
That's very interesting. I've been researching Joseph Smith lately. I read a part of the Book of Mormon when I was studying other Christianities just out of curiosity. What in your opinion did he lie about and what drew you to the conclusion that it is a false religion? I live in a part of the US (not Utah) where Mormonism was pretty dominant in the past but is fading a little bit with different sects of Christianity coming up.

All that I learned in school about Mormons was that it was only in the late 1970s that they allowed people of color to be apart of the church as they believed that darker people were a group of rebellious ones that are mentioned in the Book of Mormon, the Lamanites, although I'm not really 100% sure about that claim.

Don't Mormons try and baptize people who have died too? I think I was reading an article a few months ago with Jews getting upset because they were baptizing Jews who were already dead? What's that all about?

Yuki Nomose
09-15-2012, 12:58 PM
i not found shinto and i chosen "other", i'm born in Italy but not get christian and for shinto not exist baptism and i wasn't strictly follower but i was near to my mum to salute her relatives dead in certain days of year :nervous:

sister herb
09-15-2012, 01:30 PM
I was protestant as I was member of church but never really believed what they teached neither believe to God so maybe I was "atheist protestant". From "atheist protestant" was quite big jump to religious muslim.

;D

glo
09-15-2012, 02:11 PM
Only 8 votes? There must be more converts to Islam from other religions in this forum ...

MustafaMc
09-16-2012, 08:00 PM
I grew up as a Baptist and became a member of the Church of Christ (both Protestant) before becoming a Muslim.

Marina-Aisha
09-16-2012, 09:01 PM
I voted for other Christian I was born Greek orthodox Christian, never understood the trinity or why we wear crosses around our necks when Jesus was murdered on there.. Too many questions, and then when met my husband I wanted to learn bout his faith islam just seemed to click for me. No confusion, plan and simple. I believe Islam is the true message Allah wanted to send too us. I love being Muslima.

Jedi_Mindset
02-22-2013, 06:19 PM
Atheist or atleast i didnt believe in God nor a religion. There was a short period when i was agnostic for a while but at the start of my teenage years i slowly moved to islam, mainly due to have many contact with muslims.

Abu Loren
02-24-2013, 07:51 AM
Interesting to see that nobody from the Jews, Hindu's nor Budhists have converted to Islam. I know that this poll is for members here and not a true representation of the outside world but I believe it is an indication. You will not see many Jews converting because they STILL believe that they are the chosen people of God. So they all live in their arrogance. As for the Hindu's I suppose Islam is so far off course for them being a monotheistic religion. It must be pretty hard to believe in One God when you could chooses hundereds.

On the flip side of the coin, it's also very interesting that many of the converts are Christians. The reason, I believe, is that Christianity is very similar to Islam if you take away the Trinity and the divinity of Jesus (Alayhi Salaam). Christians profess to believe in One God but the maths doesn't add up.

1+1+1=1

Abu Loren
02-24-2013, 07:52 AM
By the way, I am from a Roman Catholic background. I wasn't an active member but going to church on weddings, funerals and Christmas.

:hiding:

MustafaMc
02-24-2013, 02:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Loren
The reason, I believe, is that Christianity is very similar to Islam if you take away the Trinity and the divinity of Jesus (Alayhi Salaam).
Assalamu alaikum, you are eactly correct. That was the critical issue for me and once I saw that God and Jesus were distinct, then it was a small matter to accept Islam. Although the actual practice of Islam and the journey to becoming a Muslim has seen its ups and downs, the essential paradigm shift from a Christian to Islamic belief system was fairly easy for me.

Hulk
02-24-2013, 02:19 PM
Interesting to see that nobody from the Jews, Hindu's nor Budhists have converted to Islam. I know that this poll is for members here and not a true representation of the outside world but I believe it is an indication.
Not really, just that people from those countries don't really come up to religious forums that often. I know a few muslims who used to be hindu/buddhist. Not many jews where I am from so not much I can say on that. Islam is clear to any human being who seeks the truth so it's really no surprise that one would find converts from different backgrounds.

Al-Mufarridun
02-24-2013, 02:34 PM
That reminds me of this Verse from Surat Al-Ma'idah v. 82

You will surely find the most intense of the people in animosity toward the believers [to be]
the Jews and those who associate others with Allah ; and you will find the nearest of them in affection to the believers those who say,
"We are Christians." That is because among them are priests and monks and because they are not arrogant.

Jedi_Mindset
02-24-2013, 02:39 PM
Interesting to see that nobody from the Jews, Hindu's nor Budhists have converted to Islam. I know that this poll is for members here and not a true representation of the outside world but I believe it is an indication. You will not see many Jews converting because they STILL believe that they are the chosen people of God. So they all live in their arrogance. As for the Hindu's I suppose Islam is so far off course for them being a monotheistic religion. It must be pretty hard to believe in One God when you could chooses hundereds.

On the flip side of the coin, it's also very interesting that many of the converts are Christians. The reason, I believe, is that Christianity is very similar to Islam if you take away the Trinity and the divinity of Jesus (Alayhi Salaam). Christians profess to believe in One God but the maths doesn't add up.

1+1+1=1

Abu Loren
02-24-2013, 04:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Mindset
A Budhist Christian?

Jedi_Mindset
02-24-2013, 04:48 PM
A Budhist Christian?
First he was buddhist but later on he turned a bit towards christianity.

Abu Loren
02-24-2013, 05:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Mindset
First he was buddhist but later on he turned a bit towards christianity.
Yea sorry I guess as much, just that I didn't watch the video. I can imagine the poor bloke converting to Christianity and saying to himself "Oh god I've made a big mistake". :giggling:

Shawn01
03-01-2013, 08:48 PM
imsadOnce again I'm the only ex-Jew to be Muslim here ;D

MustafaMc
03-02-2013, 05:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Shawn01
Alhamdulillah that there is at least one!

Abu Loren
03-02-2013, 06:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Shawn01
Alhamdulilah!

Share with us your story of conversion bro, it will be fascinating. Of course, if it's really personal then you don't have to. :)

tearose
03-02-2013, 11:52 AM
I was brought up as a Roman Catholic but I as I got older I grew further away from the church. By the time I was an adult, I couldn't accept doctrines like the Trinity, and I couldn't find any answers to my doubts and issues, either in the Catholic church or any other Christian denominations. I don't remember ever really believing in the divinity of Jesus as such, and once I realised that's what the church was preaching it was the major problem for me, so the pure monotheism of Islam attracted me right away and made me question Christianity even more. There was a period after that though, where I believed in God but didn't follow any particular religion. After a while I started to realise that would never be enough and alhamdulilah eventually I found what I was looking for in Islam.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!