/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Wuzu for reading Quran

zakknight1
04-09-2010, 08:20 PM
Salaam,

Do we need wuzu for reading the quran ? I dont think we do if its a translation, but I was wondering if we're clean is it ok just to pick it up and read?

Jazak allah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ayesha.ansari
07-19-2010, 11:57 AM
Yes wadu or ablution is very important to read Quran. Quran i your Holy book, you can't touch it with dirty hands, its agaisnt its respect. Do have respect of Quran in your heart then do ablution and recite it at neat and silent place.

Tyrion
07-20-2010, 12:58 AM
I've heard differing opinions about this from scholars, and personally I feel like it's okay to pick up the Qur'an without Wudu. (Although, if you can it's obviously encouraged) The verse from the Qur'an that most people point to when discussing this issue is verse 79 from the 56th Surah, Al Waqiah:

That this is indeed a Qur'an most honourable, (77) In a Book well-guarded, (78) Which none shall touch but those who are clean (pure): (79) A Revelation from the Lord of the Worlds. (80)

And my understanding is that this is not referring to purity gained by performing Wudu, but rather the purity of the Angels who handled the Qur'an as it was being revealed. This understanding of the verse makes sense to me, since if you think about it, the Qur'an wasn't a physical book when it was first revealed, but rather a recitation that was memorized. Having Wudu as a mandatory requirement also doesn't make sense in the context of sharing or spreading the message of Islam, since we can't exactly force every non Muslim to make Wudu before they pick up the Qur'an, and if we did it would probably turn most of them away. :p I know there are numerous videos on Youtube as well which cover this topic... One by Zakir Naik comes to mind, but I'm sure there are more. I would supply you with links, but seeing as I'm still a limited member, I can't... Sorry!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!