/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Dress in Egypt

3bdullah
04-29-2010, 11:07 AM
Greetings all. !السلام عليكم

Someone mentioned Fajr Center in Cairo to me. I have spent hours looking at every site for all the schools in Cairo. I have found this one to not only be most extensive, but least expensive, and seems more Islamic oriented. Most other schools seem like they are aimed at non-Muslim students. Which is great! Just not what I really am looking for (They show very sexy, half dressed girls in class with men on some sites. I cannot study anything in that environment. Fajr has separate gender classes).

They are really cheap too. Most languages schools in the world cost $10-15,000USD for a 1-1.5 yr class. Fajr is $800-1200. Even a simple person like me can afford that! (not to mention rent in Egypt is pennies compared to the USA. Most people pay more for a parking place here for their car, than the price or a 3 bedroom in Egypt!)

I just got a grant from the Veteran's Affairs for my Army service! Now I pursue the dreams I've had for many years! Alhamdulillah!

I have a question about dress in Egypt. In the US, I dress western, but wear a kufi. That alone is enough to get me looks everywhere, even in big cities. And gets me stopped 6 times for "random" inspections at every airport. Even though MANY world cultures and religions wear a similar hat. Not to mention I am of Polish and German decent. I am pale white, large-framed, and have blue eyes! lol No one is safe from American paranoia!(of course everyone at Masjid always thinks I'm Syrian. lol)

I understand Egypt is very Western. And despite being more conservative, Egyptians dress pretty much like Americans.

MY QUESTION: I was wondering if it would be advisable to wear a thawb?

In America, wearing a thawb would probably get me shot. lol. And while most people don't wear them in Egypt, it's not uncommon. There are a lot of reasons why I would like to wear a thawb. It is modest, traditional, and comfortable (I wear one for Juma and Khutba).

I am strong in faith, but I am also open-minded about others. I do a lot of inter-faith relations with Christians and Jews especially (and know Hebrew, Greek, Latin, Coptic, Syriac, Aramaic, etc. And their holy writings). However, I want to give the airs of one who is in Egypt for faith, moral strength, and study. I understand there are a lot of temptations in Egypt, as anywhere else. I want people to have an idea of my intents, just my looking at me.

Will wearing thawb demonstrate this? Or is Egypt so western I will just look like a freak? Or a religious nut, that no one will want to approach or talk to, for fear or religious conviction?

Thank you all for your time and reading this!

(sorry for the length of this, it is also my introduction)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!