/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody who knows Arabic,please help!

hafize
04-29-2010, 10:16 PM
I hope this is the right place to ask my question,thank you in advance for reading my post.I'm 7 months pregnant and I'm going to have a girl(insallah).My husband and I are both muslims and want to give an appropriate name to our baby girl.A friend of mine(actually her mother who knows Arabic) suggested the name "Lia" and said that it means "luck" in Arabic.I don't know anybody else who knows Arabic and want to make sure if there is such a name or even a word "lia" in Arabic.Do you think this is an Islamic name?I would appreciate any help,thank you.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
04-30-2010, 03:05 AM
:sl:

http://www.babynamescountry.com/orig...by_names1.html

Woodrow
04-30-2010, 03:18 AM
I believe Lia is Darija rather than pure Arabic. I recall using it in Morocco. I personally do not consider it an Islamic name as we do not believe in "Luck"

جوري
04-30-2010, 03:21 AM
I have to say the first thing that came to mind is Alya not lia but then there are lots of L names in Arabic .. some that aren't mentioned.. my niece' name is Lulwah and that is pure Arabic but you hardly see it mentioned anywhere.. so who knows.. maybe lya is--

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
marwen
04-30-2010, 05:37 AM
I don't really think Lia is an arabic name, and it doesn't mean luck. I think it's an italian name.

hafize
05-01-2010, 12:58 PM
thank you very much for your replies,but I still don't get a satisfactory answer.I hope more people will share in some information on the topic.

Abdul Wahid
05-01-2010, 04:17 PM
:sl: sister

Lia is not an Arabic name.

The girl name Lia is pronounced Liyah. Lia is of Hebrew and Latin origin, and it is used mainly in Dutch, English, Greek, Italian, Russian, French, German, Hebrew, and Portuguese.

Lia is a Dutch, English, Greek, Italian, and Russian pet form of the English, Greek, and Italian Evangelia.

Lia is also an English, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, and Portuguese spelling variant of the English, Hebrew, and Yiddish Leah.

Sister there are plenty of good Arabic names you can choose that have very good meanings.

:wa:

ardianto
05-02-2010, 08:31 AM
Lia ?

There are many women named Lia in Indonesia. But this is not originally from Arabic.

Life Artist
05-08-2010, 01:46 PM
Laila or Layla is Arabic, but not Lia.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!