/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Just simply walk away from depression & anxiety!

جوري
04-30-2010, 01:43 AM
Exercise and Depression Research Reveals Exercise Helps Depression

Exercise and depression has been the focus of many scientific studies. This research has repeatedly shown that exercise really does help depression. (1,2,13,14) In fact exercise has been shown to be as helpful in reducing depression symptoms as...

• antidepressants (1)
  • individual psychotherapy (6,8,12)
  • cognitive therapy (4)
  • group psychotherapy (10)

The book, The Healing Power of Exercise: Your Guide to Prevention and Treating Diabetes, Depression, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Arthritis, and More states, "A universal finding in exercise studies is that people experience a greater sense of well-being." (p. 14) In the book, it is explained, "Our cardiovascular system, endocrine glands, muscles, and bones still function best when the body is challenged by regular bouts of exertion." (p. 5)
You can, in fact, walk away from depression!
Walking is one of the best exercises for helping depression. But exercise and depression research has found that other exercises also work to help depression.

To read more about the types of exercise that help depression, click here.

Exercise Helps Depression Quickly Exercise and depression research has demonstrated that exercise helps depression quickly.
One exercise and depression study showed that the improvement in mood begins just ten minutes after you start exercising. Mood was found to continue to get better for up to twenty minutes. (7)
Another exercise and depression study found depression had improved after participants had walked on a treadmill for thirty minutes a day for only ten days. (2) Antidepressant medication usually takes at least two to three weeks to begin improving mood.
More lasting change in mood was found to have occured after study participants exercised for just two to three weeks. (9)

The Benefits of Exercise Last Exercise and depression research follow-up studies have found that the improvements in mood lasts for months.
An exercise and depression study in which participants walked daily for seven weeks found that the decrease in depressive mood and the improvement in vigor continued after five months. (11)
Another exercise and depression study which compared exercise alone, medication alone, and exercise plus medication found lasting improvements after six months in participants who had exercised without medication. (1)
When the participants continued to exercise the on going improvement was even greater. This study concluded that medication may produce quicker relief but exercise yields more long term benefit.
As has already been seen, however, medication may not even be faster. Certainly, exercise has fewer side-effects than medication.

Almost Anyone Can Benefit Exercise and depression research shows almost anybody can benefit from exercise. It works with...

• children (16)
  • college students (15)
  • minority women (11)
  • older people (1)

The benefits which were experienced by the participants in these exercise and depression studies included...
  • increased positive mood
  • decreased negative mood
  • improved vigor
  • less anxiety
  • less depression
  • less anger
  • less fatigue
  • less confusion
  • less stress
  • improved motivation
  • improved self-esteem
  • less cynical distrust
  • increased feelings of coherence
  • increased feelings of social integration
  • improved mental functioning

The botton line is...If you are depressed, exercise can help you feel better quickly and the results last.

Take Action So, it's time to take action. The first thing I encourage you to do is talk with your doctor.
You shouldn't start a new exercise program without first making sure it is OK medically. Although exercise has few side-effects, there are some precautions which you may need to take.
For example, when taking certain medications, you are sensitive to sunlight. Thus, you should, in this example, avoid walking in the sun.
All-in-all, its best to be safe and talk to your doctor first.
Once you have been cleared medically, decide on which exercise you want to do. You may even want to pick several so that you can add variety to your routine.
On Monday you can walk, on Tuesday ride a bike, on Wednesday go to the YMCA and swim, and so on. Such change will make your exercise more enjoyable.
Also, having someone else exercise with you can make it more fun.
The How To Transform Your Life E-Workshop teaches that to successfully change your life you need to have support. Having another person exercise with you can help provide this support.
The next step is to set aside or schedule a time to exercise. You may want to exercise daily. Or you may want to exercise less often.
As a minimum, you need to exercise three days each week for thirty minutes.
Caution--don't start off at this level. Start slowly and gradually increase. At first you may want to exercise for just ten minutes...then move up to fifteen...then twenty...keep increasing until you reach your goal.
For a list of the exercise and depression references cited in this article, click here.

To return to the depression-help-for-you.com homepage, click here.

http://www.depression-help-for-you.c...epression.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
CosmicPathos
04-30-2010, 03:12 AM
jazakAllah for that sista!

جوري
04-30-2010, 03:27 AM
:sl:

I stopped exercising for a while during my blue period and took 'st john's wort, but I couldn't do it for more than two weeks.. started exercising again and believe it or not getting the most amazing workout from the tiniest machines

yes you can have it in pink or silver lol

and no I didn't get mine in pink.. I hate the color (but as an encouragement to our dear sisters who might find the coloring endearing)

40 minutes a day but I think you can get away with 15 mins.. and I am regaining my old self back..
the first thing that happened is I got rid of my jello legs and knees.. I was bed ridden for a while and found my muscles atrophied from disuse :(

:w:

Innocent Soul
04-30-2010, 04:15 AM
Jazakallah!
I have also started walking from school to home from a short distance 3 months ago but I stopped it as my school holidays are on. :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
marwen
04-30-2010, 04:58 AM
I love jogging. I do it at least 2 times a week, if not every day. I think the Idea is to do an activity that you love and you enjoy doing, and that's enough to remove depression. If you do some sport that you don't like (like Golf for me ;D) that will increase your depression for sure :D

Ramadhan
04-30-2010, 06:10 PM
physical exercise releases endorphins, right?

Often, after an hour of running on the threadmill I would feel "high", which spurred me to keep going and do more activities in the gym.

Karina
04-30-2010, 06:18 PM
Yay for exercise. I've recently started jogging and I'm getting better - when I first started I could hardly run betwen two lamp-posts, but last week I ran 2 miles! I know it's not much to some, but it's quite an achievement for me.
And yes, I feel brighter, more confident, more alert and dare I say it... happier? I'm employed in an office and also a full-time student so I really spend faaaarrrr too much time sat on my backside!
Oh that exercise equipment looks intriguing too! I wonder if they sell them in the UK>.....
*Just out of interest....what does Islam say about the benefits of exercise and activity?*

cat eyes
04-30-2010, 06:22 PM
a twenty minute jog around the park feels great also. i feel great after anyways :) because your getting fresh air at the same time. id highly recommend it.

جوري
04-30-2010, 06:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Safiya 1
Jazakallah!
I have also started walking from school to home from a short distance 3 months ago but I stopped it as my school holidays are on. :)
al7mdlillah sis.. just 15 minutes at least three times a week will prove beneficial insha'Allah.. the most important thing is starting with that first small step.

format_quote Originally Posted by marwen
I love jogging. I do it at least 2 times a week, if not every day. I think the Idea is to do an activity that you love and you enjoy doing, and that's enough to remove depression. If you do some sport that you don't like (like Golf for me ;D) that will increase your depression for sure :D
lol.. so true.. I think the reason many people don't stick to it, is because they find it tedious and I dare say painful.. so long as you find your niche and stick to it, it is all that matters..

format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
physical exercise releases endorphins, right?

Often, after an hour of running on the threadmill I would feel "high", which spurred me to keep going and do more activities in the gym.
absolutely .. 'meditations/ aka prayers' and exercise are amazing gifts from Allah swt to help us deal with the downers of life without chemically modifying our bodies to acquiesce to bad circumstance ...I can't imagine an hour though lol.. today I increased the intensity of my workout and I thought I was going to die lol..

format_quote Originally Posted by Karina
Yay for exercise. I've recently started jogging and I'm getting better - when I first started I could hardly run betwen two lamp-posts, but last week I ran 2 miles! I know it's not much to some, but it's quite an achievement for me.
And yes, I feel brighter, more confident, more alert and dare I say it... happier? I'm employed in an office and also a full-time student so I really spend faaaarrrr too much time sat on my backside!
Oh that exercise equipment looks intriguing too! I wonder if they sell them in the UK>.....
*Just out of interest....what does Islam say about the benefits of exercise and activity?*
1- It is quite an achievement .. there was a joke going around about 'new year's resolution' which is to exercise .. today I put on my jogging uniform and drove around the gym and I feel better already.. everything should be done in a step wise fashion, you are not in competition with anyone, you are doing it for the better of yourself ..

The prophet PBUH used to race with his wife.. and Islam encourages with swimming, archery and horse back riding'

you do have the same machine in England..

http://www.sweatband.com/vfit-fte1-m...l-trainer.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/V-Fit-FTE1-M...2653010&sr=8-1

comparable in price to the U.S me thinkus ..
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
a twenty minute jog around the park feels great also. i feel great after anyways :) because your getting fresh air at the same time. id highly recommend it.
al7mdlillah.. I was going to recommend this for you based on your other thread where you expressed that you were under-the-weather..

جوري
04-30-2010, 08:12 PM
thought I'd add this as an encouragement:

Exercise Induced Anxiety

2 Comments
In response to my call for help I received a great topic idea from one of my readers. The topic is exercise induced anxiety and whether or not lightheadedness and dizziness are caused by anxiety while exercising or is there something else going on?
If you have spent any time reading this blog or any other online resource about anxiety disorders then you know one of the most common bits of advice given to anxiety sufferers is that they exercise. Sometimes though even something as positive and good for you as exercise can cause problems.
So you walk into the gym with your brand new exercise gear and take a look around. You see that someone has just gotten off the stair master machine so you race over so someone else doesn’t beat you there. You climb on and begin the not so fun process of exercising – so far so good.
After you climb off the stair master you notice something just isn’t right. Your out of breath, dizzy, lightheaded and the room may even be moving around just a tad. Is this anxiety or is it exercise related?
Let’s look at the connection between exercise and lightheadedness first. Can exercise cause you to feel dizzy and lightheaded? Yes it can.
You don’t have to have an anxiety disorder to feel off balance or dizzy after physically exerting yourself. The process by which this occurs is normal and not anxiety related.
The What How and Why

When we physically exert ourselves, a.k.a exercise, there is a lot happening in the body. First things first – your heart muscle will begin to beat faster so it can send blood to the muscles doing all the work. This in turn increases blood flow and causes your blood vessels to expand. This makes it easier for the body to send the needed blood to those hard working muscles.
When you stop exercising the blood circulation slows down because those hard working muscles are not asking for as much oxygen/energy. Although your circulation has been slowed the blood vessels in the body remain expanded and this can cause your blood pressure to fall which may cause dizziness.
Prevention
Although feeling dizzy after a good work out is not unheard of you should take steps to avoid it or at least decrease its prevalence.
There are a few things you can do to lower the occurrence of dizziness after exercising. For starters you need to eat right and keep hydrated. When we work out we are using a great deal of energy and we need to make sure that our bodies are prepared for the job ahead.
This doesn’t mean that you have to eat a huge meal before working out but you definitely want to make sure you eat at least a small snack and drink water before and during your workout.
In addition, make sure that you breathe. When people workout, especially with weights, they tend to hold their breath without knowing it. This is obviously not a good idea because your body needs all the oxygen it can get. You should think of oxygen as your fuel.
How you breathe I don’t think is as important as the pace of your breathing. Whether you breathe through your nose, mouth, or both just make sure it is steady and constant. Remember the idea is to intake oxygen not to get fancy or complicated with your breathing.
Another very important preventative measure is warming up and cooling down. Like I mentioned before when you suddenly stop exercising your blood circulation slows down but your blood vessels are still expanded. If you take the time to warm up and cool down then you give your body a chance to ‘catch up’ with your heart rate. This will allow your body to be more in sync with your heart.
In order to warm up and cool down effectively stretch before and after your workouts. When you decide that your workout is coming to a close don’t just stop. You have to come to a gradual stop. If your running slow down to a slow jog and then a brisk walk.
If you are on a stair master simply slow the pace down gradually until you feel relaxed and not laboring to breathe. The key is to gradually stop whatever you’re doing over several minutes.
Even if you are planning only a light workout make sure to keep it steady and be certain to keep your comfort level reasonable. Working out does not have to be a punishing experience.
Lastly, be patient. Sometimes we don’t workout for months or even years. It is unrealistic to not exercise on a regular basis and then think that you can jump back into the saddle and workout very hard.
Take your time and build up your bodies stamina. There is no need to rush because your body will do what you want it to do, but you have to give it time to build the necessary strength.
The Anxiety Connection
Now can exercise bring on an anxiety attack or startled nerves? Yes it can. This is because working out causes the body to undergo a lot of the phyiscal changes that occur during a bout of anxiety.
Profuse sweating, uncontrolled breathing, increased heart rate, dizziness, sound familiar? This is especially true if you are new to exercising vigorously. You may feel a little out of control and off balance. This can cause uneasiness and anxiety. But remember over the long term exercise is good for you!
It is normal to feel uneasy when you physically exert yourself. Your memory is tied into your phyiscal symptoms so much that the very fact that your heart rate is at 150 bpm can scare you. You may be making an unconscious connection between how you feel during or after a workout and your past experiences with anxiety – very normal.
As anxiety sufferers we are simply tuned into our bodies much more than the average person. So if anything feels off it becomes a great concern. We have to train ourselves to understand that not every bump is fatal.
Concerns
Being dizzy and lightheaded after a workout is not normal. It may happen from time to time but is should not be a regular occurrence. If you ever feel like you’re about to pass out sit down or lie down. This will balance blood flow and let your body correct itself.
In addition if you ever feel dizzy or lightheaded during a workout this could be a sign of a serious problem. In this case go see your doctor right away.
Remember that if you start to feel discomfort with respect to your balance and orientation to slow down. Scale back what you are doing or cut your workout short for the day.
Moreover if you tend to workout outside be sure to avoid intense heat or cold as these weather conditions can also cause problems.
Conclusion
The reader who asked that this topic be brought up did so because he is a healthy male in his 20’s with this very problem. He could not figure out why this was happening. Like many of us do when concerned about our health he went to his doctor and was given a stress test and found to be in good health.
I also had the exact same experience. I had a couple of workouts that caused me to feel dizzy and uneasy. I was tested for this and that and the doctor simply told me to breathe while I worked out and to not push myself too hard.
In other words, this is all very common. If you have this problem than going to your doctor is a safe bet. In fact if you are experiencing this problem and are afraid or if this problem is stopping you from exercising go and get checked up.
Once the test are run and you are cleared than you can feel confident about exercising safely. Be sure to follow the tips laid out in this post and don’t be afraid to burn off your excess adrenaline.
Fear comes so easily to us but at the same time we have to find a way to accept it. Accept that you’re sometimes fearful, uneasy, and anxious. But don’t accept any limitations on where you can go or what you can do. We can all be brave when we need to be.

http://www.anxietyguru.net/exercise-induced-anxiety/

Life Artist
05-01-2010, 03:06 PM
nice =)

there is a technique I discovered about one year ago called EFT, good for all this stuff!

thank you for sharing..

جوري
05-01-2010, 03:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Life Artist
nice =)

there is a technique I discovered about one year ago called EFT, good for all this stuff!

thank you for sharing..
:sl: why not share what you have learned with us insha'Allah? that way others can benefit too :w:

Life Artist
05-02-2010, 05:44 AM
In fact all what I learned was from youtube videos, which sometime has non hijabi women, or music introductory. I think its against forum rules. but searching for an article and posting it will not be beneficial as it needs face to face learning. maybe any one would find a better article than I may =). but my main resource is youtube.

I wish I've added something :)
good luck

glo
05-02-2010, 07:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by marwen
I love jogging too.
I find it very therapeutic, because as well as providing me with physical exercise, it also gives me time and freedom to relax my mind.

I am trying to build up to 8K at the moment ...

Jennie
05-15-2010, 07:30 PM
I had strong depression for 4-5 years so I don't believe it's possible to beat/surmount depression just with exercise.
Thanks still for this topic.
I have started to do some exercise and it really make me feel good. I have tried jogging too, and that really is fun and therapeutic.

جوري
05-15-2010, 08:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jennie
I had strong depression for 4-5 years so I don't believe it's possible to beat/surmount depression just with exercise.
Thanks still for this topic.
I have started to do some exercise and it really make me feel good. I have tried jogging too, and that really is fun and therapeutic.

I have suffered from depression, plus bouts of panic attacks sometimes nocturnal and agoraphobia, but can say from my own experience that medications weren't helpful.. I am doing as well exercising as I am on meds but without the side effects and after further reading embarked upon studies that showed that anti/depressants whether pharmaceutical grade or st. John's wort didn't fare as well as placebo..

I believe in cognitive behavioral therapy along with a balanced diet and life style modification and taking it one day at a time..

Argamemnon
05-23-2010, 12:19 AM
until a few years ago exercise relieved my anxiety tremendously but nowadays it makes me feel worse.

جوري
05-23-2010, 12:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Argamemnon
until a few years ago exercise relieved my anxiety tremendously but nowadays it makes me feel worse.

post number 10 click me deals with exercise induced anxiety .. you shouldn't give it up just because it makes you feel strange or have a sense of impending doom or something isn't right.. always remind yourself of a worst feeling that you have had and survived.. and remember that not every bump on the road is fatal!

w:

Argamemnon
05-30-2010, 05:12 PM
Be Aware Of These Harmful Myths And Relieve Anxiety and Depression

Treating anxiety and depression effectively means knowing what works and what doesn't. There are many myths surrounding anxiety and depression that can prolong the suffering. In this article, I'm going to debunk some myths so you don't allow them to deepen your anxiety or depression.

If you're taking an antidepressant and it isn't working, you will be told that:
"some drugs are more effective than others. What works on one person may not be as effective with another. That's why doctors repeatedly change the type of drug. It's simply a matter of finding the drug that is right for you." This simply isn't true. There are other factors - tolerance to a drug, dosage of a drug and the simple fact that chemical imbalances aren't the root cause of your anxiety or depression. Tellingly, Yale University has published results showing that for 70% of people, antidepressant drugs are totally ineffective. Other treatments, especially cognitive therapy, are far more effective.

Anxiety and depression are all in the mind. This is another huge myth, mainly believed by people who have never suffered from these problems. There are many other symptoms that are part of anxiety and depression: back ache, muscle cramps, exhaustion, loss of appetite or increase in appetite, sleeplessness, hyper-tension, and loss of sex drive to name but a few. Dismissing anxiety and depression as being "all in the mind" simplifies them and shows a complete lack of understanding about them. All of these symptoms combined make it so very hard for sufferers to do even the simplest of daily tasks and cause so much anguish. If anyone tells you it's "all in your mind" ignore them, they don't know what they're talking about.

In today's modern society, the food police are continually advocating their belief that a poor diet is at the root of all of our ills. Indeed, obesity is a major health problem and increases your risk of heart attack and strokes. But can food cause and cure stress, depression and anxiety? No it cannot. A poor diet has no bearing whatsoever on anxiety or depression and this is easily proven by asking a simple question: Does everyone who eats a poor diet suffer from anxiety and depression and does everyone who eats a healthy diet never suffer from them? In both cases the answer is no! Your diet will not cause anxiety or depression and it won't cure them. However, eating a healthy diet will boost your overall health and healthy eating should be a part of your treatment to address anxiety and depression. Feeling good physically will help you feel better mentally.

Global industrialization has led to claims that harmful toxins are being released into the atmosphere and are the reason why anxiety and depression have increased so dramatically. This claim is absolute nonsense. If it were true, everybody who lives in major cities - Los Angeles, New York, London, Beijing, Tokyo, Moscow, Mumbai, Berlin, Paris etc. - would ALL suffer from anxiety and depression. Conversely, everybody who lives in rural locations well away from the toxic clouds hovering above our cities would never suffer from anxiety or depression. Clearly, both of these scenarios simply don't ring true.

You may hear fitness gurus promoting exercise as the best way to ease anxiety and depression. Although exercise is great for physical health, it cannot cure anxiety or depression. Lack of exercise has absolutely nothing to do with depression and exercising regularly will not cure you. Indeed, certain exercises - running, treadmills, biking to give just 3 examples - may even fuel depression as they allow you to brood over your problems. Exercises where you have to concentrate, such as tennis, badminton, squash, are more beneficial. Exercise can help, but you also need to treat the root cause of anxiety and depression as well. And if you perform the behaviours that cause anxiety and depression when you stop exercising, exercise won't help you conquer either of these problems.

Being aware of the myths that don't help you get better will give you a big advantage in coming out of anxiety and depression. Put your knowledge to work for you and concentrate on selecting the right treatment and you will find relief quickly.

http://www.conqueringstress.com/anxiety-depression.html

Argamemnon
05-30-2010, 05:14 PM
^^ I tend to agree with this person even though he wants to sell his own myths of course (after convincing you about what is not working), which I'm not interested in. But I agree with him that anxiety or depression can not be relieved by eating healthy, exercise and taking anti-depressants because that has been my own experience since 2001. I've had at least eight different anti-depressants, I have been eating very healthy for years, for example; brown rice, lentils, whole wheat bread, vegetables, fruit, dried fruit (especially figs, the health benefits of figs are mentioned in the Qur'an by the way), nuts, extra virgin olive oil and so on. I don't want to discourage other people suffering from depression by saying that none of these things work, but that they should not solely focus on these things.

جوري
06-02-2010, 05:47 AM
I think depression can be managed as you'd manage hypertension or diabetes, most maladies we suffer are ours to keep for life.. it is just a matter of how we manage and cope. I don't personally and after rigorous believe that anti-depressants have any role to play.. perhaps there are drugs out there to cure depression but they are not on the market yet.. thus, I do believe that certain things can help us manage our depression better.. I have myself suffered from anxiety and depression for years, some which were pretty scary because it would be nocturnal with absolutely no triggers..

I think research has come a long way but it is still not free of certain biases and confounders, but I'd definitely get my information at least from the NIH as opposed to some random joe who thinks he has a cure for $29.99 I am aware how many methods are out as well ridiculous herbal concoctions all which are utterly useless .. like you said there is no cure, it is just a matter of how you manage your condition.. and that sometimes means allowing yourself to feel uncomfortable sensations without too much judgment.. it is the human condition after all.

exercise is actually one of the single best thing a person can do for themselves.. if you are 'lamenting over your woes' then you are not in the right type of exercise.. one should do physical work that is enjoyable not punitive, it is about an outlet that allows you to release tension, feel tired enough at the end of the day to fall asleep without tossing and turning and ultimately release of endorphins.. even debilitated, invalid patients are required to ambulate or have some sort of physical therapy..

the guy who wrote the article is just lazy, unless a person is instructed by their doctor not to exercise for a legitimate health concern, it is probably one of the single best things one can do for themselves and not merely for the good of the mind but for the good of the body..

there is an Arabic adage as old as sin itself it foes 'al3aqal asaleem fi iljism asleem' the right mind exists in the right body.. Even people not very sophisticated with measures and data can come up with that, then this fellow with a new scheme really doesn't stand a chance..

for me personally I found a few things that work and one of them is that I allow myself to feel the uncomfortable sensations and call them on to come full blast, the more I am ready to concede to them the less noisy and apparent they become.. everybody can find their niche ...

aight I am off to bed.. had like three hrs of sleep in two days :(

Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Just out of Curiousity
Would housework also count as exercise? That can prevent Depression?
Not saying i do housework for my exercise either:-\ so dont even think about saying anything! :-\

So yeah lol

جوري
06-02-2010, 02:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by мυѕℓιмαн 4 ℓιfє
Just out of Curiousity
Not saying i do housework for my exercise either:-\ so dont even think about saying anything! :-\

So yeah lol
Anything that keeps your body in shape, uses your muscle, even lifting up your baby several times a day is a form of exercise.. it has to be for a prolonged period and makes you workout a sweat.. although I am not sure people sweat when they do pilates lol.. but still even if that is what you choose then then doing something is always better than doing nothing..

and Allah swt knows best

Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-02-2010, 03:25 PM
LOL Jazakallahu Khayr ukht. . was jus a lil curious
Alhamdulilaah i walk alot and use excersing machines such as Treadmill etc, including loadsa other tasks
although the machine you posted not much of fan of them :-\ But Alhamdulilaah great to hear all are doing something to keep themselves in a good shape.
Even Salaah is a good exercise :) MashaAllaah so much benefit Alhamdulilaah

Snowflake
06-02-2010, 03:28 PM
Just out of Curiousity
Not in my experience. It makes depression worse. It's nothing but a punishment.

Ramadhan
06-02-2010, 04:22 PM
I dont know the correct answer, but my guess is that the housework should help.
By doing houseworks:
1. you are doing physical exercises even if its not sport
2. you are accomplishing something (the house is cleaner, more neat, food are cooked and served, etc), which should make you feel good (releases endorphins etc), which should help towards minimizing/controlling/eliminating depression
3. You are making your household family happy, which in turn should make you happy.

Ramadhan
06-02-2010, 04:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scents of Jannah
Not in my experience. It makes depression worse. It's nothing but a punishment.
oh. i guess my guess about doing housework is incorrect

Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-02-2010, 07:16 PM
I actually enjoy housework, it doesnt get me depressed or anything, but some people may not enjoy it as much

جوري
06-03-2010, 12:38 AM
I think there too it depends on what you do.. for me and I have mentioned here several times, that doing the laundry is very therapeutic for me.. just love fresh clean linens the smell is awesome.. I think one of the things that instantly de-stress you are clean sheets on the bed.. One should do all they can to help themselves feel better imho ..
taking herbal baths with products like badedas or using lavender oil or primrose .. just inhaling something calming is helpful and can change your affect and your mood..

and Allah swt knows best

Ramadhan
06-03-2010, 09:31 AM
For me, I love cooking and I find it very theraupatic. I truly enjoy the process of cooking, be it stir-frying, baking, etc.
However, washing dishes stress me out. LOL.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-03-2010, 11:46 AM
^Yes maybe because you just stand there with thousands of dishes in ze sink lol thats why maybe i think :-\
But doesnt that kinda require same movements for cooking, or maybe you just enjoy cooking
Allaahu Alam Indeed

Snowflake
06-03-2010, 01:51 PM
It works for some akhi. I hate it but do enjoy the end result.

I actually enjoy housework, it doesnt get me depressed or anything, but some people may not enjoy it as much
I can't think of anything more boring and stressful. At the mo, I'm doing the jobs of three people and I'm shattered. I would rather be only fully concentrating on my biz. InshaAllah when I get rich I'm going to hire maid and never do housework again - except cooking sometimes.

format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ
I think there too it depends on what you do.. for me and I have mentioned here several times, that doing the laundry is very therapeutic for me.. just love fresh clean linens the smell is awesome.. I think one of the things that instantly de-stress you are clean sheets on the bed.. One should do all they can to help themselves feel better imho ..
taking herbal baths with products like badedas or using lavender oil or primrose .. just inhaling something calming is helpful and can change your affect and your mood..

and Allah swt knows best

Mmm true.. we need to do little things that lift the mood.. I find lighting oil burners after cleaning the house really mellows me out. Awesome! And got some smellies from the body shop the other day that take you near heaven. And like you, I love smelling fresh laundry but still it doesn't make loading the washing machine any more appealing to me. I'm getting the strange feeling that think I've started thinking like a man? :scared:

Argamemnon
06-03-2010, 06:11 PM
aight I am off to bed.. had like three hrs of sleep in two days :(

because of work/duties or because of stress? for me it's normal not to sleep all night, especially when i know i have important things to do next day. this is probably the main reason i have lost all my previous jobs and failed to get my bachelor's degree..

Argamemnon
06-03-2010, 06:14 PM
Would housework also count as exercise?
housework makes me feel very stressed and anxious.

جوري
06-03-2010, 07:26 PM
because of work/duties or because of stress? for me it's normal not to sleep all night, especially when i know i have important things to do next day. this is probably the main reason i have lost all my previous jobs and failed to get my bachelor's degree..

I think you need to enroll in a sleep study.. perhaps what you perceive as chronic fatigue syndrome is sleep apnea or snoring or something which you don't perceive that keeps you from getting a full dose.. (I had work to finish that is why I was up) but I have tried since to compensate for my lack of sleep..
you are not yourself when you have had no sleep or are hungry..

p.s. you can always get your bachelors, I know there are many online universities where you enroll and go at your own pace

Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-03-2010, 07:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scents of Jannah
I can't think of anything more boring and stressful. At the mo, I'm doing the jobs of three people and I'm shattered. I would rather be only fully concentrating on my biz. InshaAllah when I get rich I'm going to hire maid and never do housework again - except cooking sometimes.
lol really sis i guess we are different MashaAllaah, i dont know i like cleanin and stuff but when i do get married the whole Cooking thing will surely stresss me out :(, scares me thinking about it,donno y tho :-\

housework makes me feel very stressed and anxious.
Aahh we are indeed different people , maybe you have lots going on in life, so when theres cleaning involved maybe you just dont like it :-\ . . .
But hope all goes well, coz you have to do it at the end of the day lol, or else you`ll be living in a dirty filthy house, and that is for sure SCARY:skeleton:, hope you agre:statisfie

Snowflake
06-06-2010, 06:01 PM
lol really sis i guess we are different MashaAllaah, i dont know i like cleanin and stuff but when i do get married the whole Cooking thing will surely stresss me out :(, scares me thinking about it,donno y tho :-\
It's probably because I got lots going on ukht and housework zaps my energy when I could be putting it into work, so I've come to hate it with a passion lol. But yeh.. if there was nothing else in my life, I probably wouldn't mind.. might even enjoy it :p

tango92
06-08-2010, 02:22 PM
i get weird pains in my lower leg from jogging, i think their called shin splints.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-08-2010, 04:08 PM
^ooh geeky case. . .
Jogging is healthy, i dont understand you get pains, maybe your doing too much of it :-\

So yeah

tango92
06-10-2010, 04:04 PM
^maybe im just a weakling?

i used to be a reely good runner when i was a bit littler. now that im growed up i got lazy

glo
06-10-2010, 06:07 PM
I love outdoor activities, such as walking, jogging, cycling and gardening, and I can certainly confirm that I feel heaps better when I have spent time being physically active.

This week I have made a real effort to cycle into work - despite the changeable weather. I clocked up 44 miles this week, and I am quite proud of myself. (Mind you, my legs are aching too! :D)

tango92
06-10-2010, 06:25 PM
^thats 6.3 miles a day :omg::phew good one, its gonna hurt in the mornings though

Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-10-2010, 11:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tango92
^maybe im just a weakling?

i used to be a reely good runner when i was a bit littler. now that im growed up i got lazy
Weakling LOL, indeedeth for you are an Weekling

Indeed for you shall suceed, you should begin again wit ze running Indeed you shalleth be back on ze track!!!!!

espada
06-10-2010, 11:56 PM
الحمد لله

For fitness! I love all types ... whether it be jumping rope, lifting weights or punching stuffed bags.

But walking has always been one of my favorites, especially in the forest. I used to just hike in the spring or summer but a few years ago, i began to go in the winter. It wasn't especially easy hiking for hours in knee deep snow but when it was amazing. Everything was so still and silent (dead). And then to return to the same spot in spring/summer, so green and alive and full of animals. Definitely makes one think of Allah and the Quran.

And i definitely love hiking up the mountains although i've never been up anything more than about 6500 feet. One of the best we went on was a 20 mile loop in the Adirondack Park of New York State. It was grueling but the whole process is very symbolic, and much was learned. Most recently (last year) i hiked in B.C. Canada, the Stawamus Chief.

I love the ascension as difficult as it is, but the stillness of the summit ... that's great too.

Thank you for letting me share.

جزاك اللهُ خيراً

glo
06-25-2010, 04:08 PM
Yesterday I finished work an hour early. I remembered this thread and thought to myself, why not walk home instead of waiting for the bus?
So I did!

I really enjoyed myself, and managed to walk 3.5 miles in just over 50 minutes.

Argamemnon
06-25-2010, 06:55 PM
It's unbelievable, I've been feeling almost "normal" in the past few days. Normally my chronic depression never leaves me alone.

جوري
06-25-2010, 07:07 PM
It's unbelievable, I've been feeling almost "normal" in the past few days. Normally my chronic depression never leaves me alone.
al7mdlillah akhi.. have you done something different in your routine? try to also take proper vitamins and minerals (minus iron) and some cod liver oil (uncapsulated) with a brisk 20 minute a day insha'Allah you'll be 'normal' for good..

Argamemnon
06-25-2010, 07:18 PM
al7mdlillah akhi.. have you done something different in your routine? try to also take proper vitamins and minerals (minus iron) and some cod liver oil (uncapsulated) with a brisk 20 minute a day insha'Allah you'll be 'normal' for good..

salam,

Thank you for those tips. I don't know but I've been going out more often and try to keep myself busy.. i feel much more alert and my mind doesn't wander! I can breathe.. I had really forgotten how it felt to be alive!! Alhamdulillah. Thank you for your concern, and I hope you are doing well insha'Allah:)

Argamemnon
06-25-2010, 07:21 PM
I've been eating lots of organic spinach, broccoli, wild salmon and other healthy stuff lately.. no bread.

glo
06-25-2010, 08:16 PM
Do you miss not eating bread, Argamemnon?

جوري
06-25-2010, 09:35 PM
salam,

Thank you for those tips. I don't know but I've been going out more often and try to keep myself busy.. i feel much more alert and my mind doesn't wander! I can breathe.. I had really forgotten how it felt to be alive!! Alhamdulillah. Thank you for your concern, and I hope you are doing well insha'Allah:)

Al7mdlillah.. I think busying oneself with a very consuming project or work really curbs on all the other things, including the time to contemplate what is wrong with ones body..

Jazaka Allah khyran

CosmicPathos
06-26-2010, 06:10 AM
How can I motivate myself to do exercise? I mean when I think about my life in a larger perspective, I have to die one day. How is doing exercise and investing time in it, an important resource, going to help me prevent or at least prolong life's quality provided I already have normal body fat etc? Any ideas?

CosmicPathos
06-26-2010, 03:59 PM
jazakAllah dear ukhti lily.

Dagless
06-26-2010, 04:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist
How can I motivate myself to do exercise? I mean when I think about my life in a larger perspective, I have to die one day. How is doing exercise and investing time in it, an important resource, going to help me prevent or at least prolong life's quality provided I already have normal body fat etc? Any ideas?
Competition or at least having a friend join you is a good way. You can motivate each other. If you don't want to work out with a friend set yourself challanges like "by x_date I will run y_miles in z_time".
Nobody knows when they'll die but exercise is likely to help you with quality of life and overall risk to disease. Even thin people can get heart disease.

glo
06-26-2010, 05:24 PM
Greetings, mad scientist

Dagless has made a good point.

Personally, I enjoy pushing myself a little and setting myself a new challenge. That might be in intellectual terms, for example by studying a new topic; or in social terms, for example by facing a 'scary' situation; or in physical terms, for example by aiming for a new running distance.

What I like about physical exercise is that - with just a little effort and perseverance - you can see your fitness, stamina and strength improving.
What seemed impossible in week 1 suddenly is quite easy in week 4.

If God gave us a wonderful body and mind, is it not simply right to use those to their full potential by training and strengthening them?

Argamemnon
06-26-2010, 08:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Do you miss not eating bread, Argamemnon?
Hi glo,

Not really.. I'm used to eating healthy fibrous foods because I have irritable bowel syndrome. Occasionally I do crave things like pizza, pastries etc..

cat eyes
06-26-2010, 08:58 PM
i exercise one day then i do not feel motivated to do it the next day so ive joined a gym, i might feel motivated there.

glo
06-26-2010, 09:11 PM
Hi glo,

Not really.. I'm used to eating healthy fibrous foods because I have irritable bowel syndrome. Occasionally I do crave things like pizza, pastries etc..
It's fabulous that you are feeling so much better! You must be over the moon!

Be prepared for having occasional off-days and set-backs. It's to be expected.
Just persevere and keep going.

Salahudeen
06-27-2010, 08:41 AM
I understand what you mean, I've only started working out cos I have holidays and nowt else to do. When uni starts I probably won't even bother till holidays come around again. Maybe workout with the intention, "for the pleasure of Allah"? so you can keep your body in good shape. As it's a blessing from Allah. And you can worship him better by exercising cos you will be more energetic for Salah :)

Argamemnon
06-27-2010, 02:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
It's fabulous that you are feeling so much better! You must be over the moon!

Be prepared for having occasional off-days and set-backs. It's to be expected.
Just persevere and keep going.
Thank you, yes I am.. although someone almost ruined my mood. Yesterday, my father paid a visit to his friend (not really a friend actually), and this person kept asking him why I'm not marrying and he even bluntly told him that he was certain that I've never had any relationship with the opposite sex whatsoever (if you know what I mean). He said a few other things which I don't find appropriate to reveal here. My father was a bit shocked too, but this man is not very religious. Not only that but he clearly isn't very considerate either. My father avoids him most of the time, now I know why, lol..

Anyway, it just amazes me how it bothers other people so much that I'm not married and don't have a relationship (which is totally forbidden in Islam). Millions of people are being slaughtered in wars, dying from starvation and suffering from terrible diseases, there are much more important issues to ponder about in life. I guess some people have nothing better to do than worshipping wordly pleasures such as sex and money. And when it turns out that you are not like them they are absolutely horrified.. lol

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!