/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Controlling Laughter

Beardo
04-30-2010, 03:24 AM
How do you control your laughter? I find it so difficult. I tried biting my lip, to no avail. I try to divert my thoughts... that doesn't work too well either.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
04-30-2010, 03:57 AM
you should enjoy laughter when it overtakes you.. from my personal experience the happy laugh from the heart moments are far and in between..

:w:

Beardo
04-30-2010, 04:05 AM
^ Well, let's just put it this way... I laugh way too much and I need to control it.

جوري
04-30-2010, 04:06 AM
then carry a sour lemon and suck on it, that ought to do the trick!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Beardo
04-30-2010, 04:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ
then carry a sour lemon and suck on it, that ought to do the trick!
I honestly will seriously try that if you're not being sarcastic. But it would be a little awkward carrying that into school. What other methods did you have in mind?

جوري
04-30-2010, 04:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
I honestly will seriously try that if you're not being sarcastic. But it would be a little awkward carrying that into school. What other methods did you have in mind?
I don't know but the thought of you taking a sour lemon out of your pocket and sucking on it made me burst out laughing ;D

marwen
04-30-2010, 04:16 AM
I have the same problem. hope you find the solution soon (if there is one lol).

Beardo
04-30-2010, 04:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by marwen
I have the same problem. hope you find the solution soon (if there is one lol).
Well, that makes two of us. Anyone have any solutions? Seriously, people. C'mon. =/ Help us out. It's really become a nuisance to me now, laughing so much.

Maryan0
04-30-2010, 04:41 AM
I dont laugh alot but when I do feel like laughing it's at the most inopportune times ,like when I'm around random people who look at me like i'm crazy when I start giggling or smiling out of the blue and I cant help it and when I try to hold it in it only gets worse.
I also start to feel like laughing when Jehovah Witness people try to give me brochures and I dont do it to be mean I just get the urge to laugh and I dont know why and I end up with a weird smile on my face. It's not even funny and it's rude too. So I cant help you there.
Salaam

Beardo
04-30-2010, 04:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lisa0
I dont laugh alot but when I do feel like laughing it's at the most inopportune times ,like when I'm around random people who look at me like i'm crazy when I start giggling or smiling out of the blue and I cant help it and when I try to hold it in it only gets worse.
I also start to feel like laughing when Jehovah Witness people try to give me brochures and I dont do it to be mean I just get the urge to laugh and I dont know why and I end up with a weird smile on my face. It's not even funny and it's rude too. So I cant help you there.
Salaam
Ah, I have a similar problem. It's so difficult. :X Especially when you laugh at the wrong time. I don't know why, but I also laugh like a maniac during Nikkahs. o_O

I don't know but the thought of you taking a sour lemon out of your pocket and sucking on it made me burst out laughing ;D

FYI, I was really going to try it.

Darth Ultor
04-30-2010, 04:52 AM
What's wrong with laughing?

marwen
04-30-2010, 04:52 AM
I don't know why, but I also laugh like a maniac during Nikkahs. o_O
lool that's really embarrassing ;D
Sometimes, during exams, I can't control my laugh when I hear a joke from some stupid guy in the next table, I just laugh loud while people are writing and concentrating on the paper and that's really horrible.

marwen
04-30-2010, 04:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Boaz
What's wrong with laughing?
the wrong timing lol

Darth Ultor
04-30-2010, 04:55 AM
True. I laugh at inappropriate times occasionally so I mainly bite down on my lip.

Beardo
04-30-2010, 04:57 AM
Sometimes, during exams, I can't control my laugh when I hear a joke from some stupid guy in the next table, I just laugh loud while people are writing and concentrating on the paper and that's really horrible.
You can also risk your grade like that. You could be accused of teaching.

Edit: I meant cheating by the teacher. Somehow or another, I condensed it to teaching. >_>

marwen
04-30-2010, 05:08 AM
You can also risk your grade like that. You could be accused of teaching.

Edit: I meant cheating by the teacher. Somehow or another, I condensed it to teaching. >_>
Yes that's really a serious problem. Sometimes I risk to be kicked out the class, not only for "tea'ching", but also for being a clown during the exam.

Beardo
04-30-2010, 12:29 PM
Yes that's really a serious problem. Sometimes I risk to be kicked out the class, not only for "tea'ching", but also for being a clown during the exam.
In math class, for example, I literally sit next to the class clown. I asked him one day if he's like the class clown and he said "well, i try to be". I'm all for cracking jokes as well but only with relevance and correct timing. :X

Darth Ultor
04-30-2010, 12:33 PM
The best jokes come spontaneously even in serious moments and in a cynical manner.

Beardo
04-30-2010, 12:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Boaz
The best jokes come spontaneously even in serious moments and in a cynical manner.
But cracking jokes at wrong times is just dumb. It depends on the situation of course and sometimes it does help lighten the mood. Even besides that though, a serious emotion can save you from regret more than joke can.

cat eyes
04-30-2010, 12:58 PM
well laughter is good in limits. i find that if i see something funny i think about it during the day and i laugh and people look at me as if i had been spoking hash or something i laugh that much..

But when i say in limits like you could end up burst out laughing in middle of your salah that has happened to me too so to much laughter aint good at all. i think that there is hadith that says it deadens the heart or something?

there use to be this guy i went to school with and he use to always laugh when he was not laughing he use to smile 24/7 i honestly use to feel like smacking him one to be honest he was that annoying lol:hmm:

Beardo
04-30-2010, 01:18 PM
You know for example, I teach 9 - 12 year olds on Saturdays. We were learning Istinjaa the other day and everytime the words poop or pee would come up, we'd all laugh. And I mean each and everyone of us, including myself. =/

aadil77
04-30-2010, 01:49 PM
controlling laughter for me is the worst, if something is funny I just have to laugh- doesn't matter who's around or where it is, the worst thing is when it happens in masjids or in class :ooh:

Sawdah
04-30-2010, 02:02 PM
Well, it sort of depends on the situation.

If you're laughing at an innapropriate time, just simply repeat in your head "Wrong place, wrong time". It works for me. The laughter dies and you'll probably be smiling instead.

If there something funny happening live, look away and laugh in secrecy. (This doesn't work for me all the time, I've tried it and I still laugh out loud. :X)

Hiding under your hijab works too. (This obviously doesn't apply to you brothers lol)

Oh, and never hold you're breath in. You'll burst out laughing big time.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
04-30-2010, 02:36 PM
Aslaamu alaaykum..
lol reading this thread just makes me giggle like a nerd ...but yeah i also have problems lol, laughing at the wrong time is a bit bad lol, as people around you think your laughing at them..
I think you should learn to smile more and try to control your laughter (not that its bad,but theres a time for it), you should think about how it deadens your heart by laughing too much..
hmm try having a hot chilli with you whereever you go lol maybe that will help keep your laughter back :p...if i had a lemon that would just make it worse for me LOL coz i will just end up thinking about how im trynna eat a lemon to keep my laughter away :\...so yeah :D....

btw did anyone else laught while reading this thread? jus lil curious indeed :\..

Wa alaaykum Salaaam

Alpha Dude
04-30-2010, 02:46 PM
At the onset of laughter, try to remember death.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
04-30-2010, 02:49 PM
^Indeed! . . .

aadil77
04-30-2010, 02:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
At the onset of laughter, try to remember death.
:skeleton: just think of the injustices against muslims

or hide your head in a book

زهراء
04-30-2010, 03:00 PM
Read "a3oodhu billahi minashaytaan nirrajeem".. it works for me.I just stop laughing and get serious again.lol

Hidaaya
05-01-2010, 12:36 AM
OH I laugh a lot too :/ especially when I get yelled at, or inappropriate times.
If I happen to laugh during class, I put my head down on the table..seems to work..but then everyone starts asking if I'm okay.
and in other cases, I try to literally put on a straight face, but my eyes go wide and my face goes weird..

oh well, let's all just continue to live in laughter.

Beardo
05-01-2010, 12:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abraar
Read "a3oodhu billahi minashaytaan nirrajeem".. it works for me.I just stop laughing and get serious again.lol
that works for me most of the time. I need some security for the times it doesn't. :X

format_quote Originally Posted by Hidaaya
OH I laugh a lot too :/ especially when I get yelled at, or inappropriate times.
If I happen to laugh during class, I put my head down on the table..seems to work..but then everyone starts asking if I'm okay.
and in other cases, I try to literally put on a straight face, but my eyes go wide and my face goes weird..

oh well, let's all just continue to live in laughter.
Well, the thing is that if I hold it in too long and there's excessive laughter, I end up snorting. Not snorting, but ... I don't know. It's sort of like if you let the water boil. It's all silent at first but once it's down boiling, it starts cracking up and whistling etc.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-01-2010, 04:47 PM
^which im sure is called snorting, but just in your description sounds ultra diferent ;D...

BintAbee
05-01-2010, 06:55 PM
Rashad, if you wanna stop laughing, don't read this thread! And you should also think about a problem you experienced, think about a severe pain you experienced or you've seen someone else go through, think about sickness, hospitals, death, Jahannum, the grave etc......... I'm sure you not smiling now ...........

Güven
05-01-2010, 07:48 PM
Just let it go for now, sooner or later you will get tired of laughing.

Beardo
05-03-2010, 01:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
Just let it go for now, sooner or later you will get tired of laughing.
After 17 years of letting go, it doesn't seem like it.

I don't want to get tired of laughing. I just want to be able to control it.

The Ruler
05-03-2010, 08:28 PM
Live a solitary life.

Beardo
05-06-2010, 04:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by The Ruler
Live a solitary life.
that's not really a solution.

yahia12
05-06-2010, 12:22 PM
actually am also sensitive, sumtime i do laugh at exams when my teacher looks strange at me or when i ask silly questions ,then i cannot stop pretty hard to focuse on my exam afterwards :D

Beardo
05-06-2010, 12:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by BintAbee
Rashad, if you wanna stop laughing, don't read this thread! And you should also think about a problem you experienced, think about a severe pain you experienced or you've seen someone else go through, think about sickness, hospitals, death, Jahannum, the grave etc......... I'm sure you not smiling now ...........
You're right. Insha'Allah, I'm gonna try that today and let you know the results.

Beardo
05-10-2010, 08:12 PM
Forum of over 20K could not resolve this issue. Disappointing.

Myself
05-11-2010, 06:01 AM
my sister had this problem back in the days and she would get me started too. then she'd 'advice' me to think of something that happened in the past that wasn't really great. then she'd herself come up with some personal story of how she fell off from the chair (which wasn't so great) but would crack her (and me) up all over again... lol.

but yeah, i think the remedy for this would be to think of upsetting events that has happened in one's life and what fate has in store for us... that's surely not something funny, rather it's quite nerve wracking.

Life_Is_Short
05-11-2010, 12:13 PM
For the sake of not embarassing yourself, you say "Pardon me" and walk out the room like a lady and next time (maybe) you won't laugh that hard.

I don't know. lol I've never been in a situation like that.

aadil77
05-11-2010, 12:43 PM
I remember doing something similar to my little brother, he would munch anything, so once I took a bit of chilli power on my finger then stuck it in his mouth, it took him about 10 seconds to process the taste then he looked at me and started crying :D

it certainly developed his taste

Myself
05-11-2010, 02:13 PM
^ talking about chilli powder going into mouths, i've done something similar with my bro. he was laughing and laughing one night and i was making my favourite cup of coffee when i dropped a pinch of coffee granules into his mouth... gosh, his face was worth a million dollars at that point. it looked worse than taking a lemon into the mouth, lol.

Ansariyah
05-11-2010, 09:55 PM
Laughter seems to strike me at the oddest moments, n wen I start theres no stopping...

Like sitting at the dinner table wit guests....thats emberrassing!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!