/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Moods

Snowflake
05-01-2010, 07:32 PM
:sl:

I was wondering if we can have a feature which allows us to show what kind of mood we are in? I seen it on some forum ages ago (can't remember which). I think it will encourage people to be more sensitive when dealing with others.

:wa:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-01-2010, 09:46 PM
lol yeah it certainly would :p..
Im sure you know what geeky mood im in lol ;D....but khayr wud still b cool to have the geeky feature :) :(:)

marwen
05-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Yeah ! great idea, I hope there will be a field for 'mood' in the profile. But for now, we can use the User Title to show our mood, no?

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-01-2010, 10:43 PM
LOL.. thats awesomee...

"My MOOD" for today is =Happy ;D...ofcourse u can all see that or maybe you can not but untill them goodbye your the weakest link :(:):(

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
PouringRain
05-02-2010, 12:46 AM
I think it is a nice idea, and I have seen forums with the mood feature on it, but they were using a diff. vBulletin version to my knowledge. I'd have to go re-look and I am too lazy right now. LOL You have to watch some of those mood though. I think we could do without things like "flirty." LOL

Snowflake
05-02-2010, 01:37 AM
Cheers all!

Any idea how to portray a geeky mood Muslim World12? :p

We could show our mood in the U.T. Marwen, but the hassle of it might cause a mood swing before we could type it lol

I think it is a nice idea, and I have seen forums with the mood feature on it, but they were using a diff. vBulletin version to my knowledge. I'd have to go re-look and I am too lazy right now. LOL You have to watch some of those mood though. I think we could do without things like "flirty." LOL
Lol, that's a big no no and I'm impressed to see it coming from a non muslim. Did you see that on an Islamic forum btw?

PouringRain
05-02-2010, 01:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scents of Jannah
Lol, that's a big no no and I'm impressed to see it coming from a non muslim. Did you see that on an Islamic forum btw?
No, it was not on a muslim forum. It was on a Christian forum. One thing I have always liked about the Musim forums is the no free mixing stuff. I know that may sound odd from a non-muslim. LOL I am single, but I do not date, and I am not looking for a man. There is nothing I like less than if I tell a guy "hello" or I say something nice and suddenly a guy thinks I am hitting on him or thinks I like him. LOL I have never had that problem on a Muslim forum ever. I like that the genders are much more respectful of each other as humans and can interact in a mature manner with each other. I always tell people that if I ever overstep gender boundaries then please tell me, because often others see things that we may not be aware of. My intention is never to be inappropriate. Anyhow......... I am off on a tangent. :)

Snowflake
05-02-2010, 02:15 AM
Aw no worries. It's the best 'off on a tangent' I've come across lol. :) You sound so pure and sweet mashaAllah (as Allah likes). It'd be interesting to hear more about your beliefs and thoughts on Islam and Christianity. Do you mind if I PM sometime?

Beardo
05-02-2010, 02:34 AM
LOL! This certainly sounds like an interesting concept. However, you are aware that you can attach smilies to the title of your post which has a lot of different emoticons? In the meantime, you can ask the staff their opinion. It may be proven beneficial but it could also open doors and avenues to Fitnah as well. I leave it to the Reds, Blues, and Yellows to come up with the consensus.

Snowflake
05-02-2010, 02:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
LOL! This certainly sounds like an interesting concept. However, you are aware that you can attach smilies to the title of your post which has a lot of different emoticons? In the meantime, you can ask the staff their opinion. It may be proven beneficial but it could also open doors and avenues to Fitnah as well. I leave it to the Reds, Blues, and Yellows to come up with the consensus.
Lol, didn't know you could attach smilies to your post title. Well let me try now then

Fitnah would not be an issue inshaAllah. The emoticons will appropriately reflect states as happy, sad, lazy, angry, tired sick etc. The purpose is to remind others that a person may be feeling down, be angry about something unrelated to the forum, or unwell etc. I hope this will increase tolerance towards each other - especially when there are disagreements. Things can get pretty heated sometimes.

I hope the other crew agree :)

Snowflake
05-02-2010, 02:57 AM
The smily in the title didn't work.

PouringRain
05-02-2010, 03:18 AM
Aw no worries. It's the best 'off on a tangent' I've come across lol. :) You sound so pure and sweet mashaAllah (as Allah likes). It'd be interesting to hear more about your beliefs and thoughts on Islam and Christianity. Do you mind if I PM sometime?
Feel free to PM me anytime. :)

Snowflake
05-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Thank you PouringRain :)

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-02-2010, 09:56 AM
Cheers all!

Any idea how to portray a geeky mood Muslim World12? :p

Pfft there you go again with your new so called "GEEKY" Words.. using "portray" and "idea" with me :|..no wonder you got anywhere when you ask me questions sis SHEESSH

LOL kapowww ;D

Snowflake
05-02-2010, 01:28 PM
hahahaha May Allah bless you my dear sis :)

Snowflake
05-03-2010, 05:45 AM
:sl: Haven't any of the other mods read this? :><:

جوري
05-03-2010, 06:12 AM
:sl: Haven't any of the other mods read this? :><:
:lol:

I guess this should be your current mood

Snowflake
05-03-2010, 07:19 AM
LOL sis! :happy:

Snowflake
05-03-2010, 12:02 PM
:sl: I like the idea of it being next to the username. It'll be like looking at someone's face and being able to see what mood they're in lol.

Or.. you could add a field in the profile but it wouldn't be as good and no one might notice it.

Fטлку
05-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Why don't y'all use the siggy space for it for the time being? Like the emoticon in Unknown_JJ's?

cat eyes
05-06-2010, 11:25 AM
like people on here will really care what mood a person is in? lol

Snowflake
05-07-2010, 08:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
like people on here will really care what mood a person is in? lol
I realized :( :offended:

Mods, can you close the thread please.

Ummu Sufyaan
07-19-2010, 08:31 AM
what if you dont want a mood? is there an option to make it disappear?

Ummu Sufyaan
07-19-2010, 08:38 AM
there isn't any way we can get those options removed from above our avatars? i mean cant it be completely gone out of sight?

~Raindrop~
07-19-2010, 10:03 AM
I suppose we should thank you for the effort.

Ummu Sufyaan
07-19-2010, 10:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by zÂk
Don't think so :ermm: There isn't any such option in the settings :><: If majority of members don't like this, I'll remove it. And maybe replace it with something like an extra field in profile info, that appears only when set, like the location/gender/religion bits.

Poll added.
no worries, i was just asking. i suppose we should wait for sister scents of jannah to come on and not destroy it for her.

glo
07-19-2010, 10:19 AM
How do you set the new function?

~Raindrop~
07-19-2010, 10:24 AM
^^Click on one of the little pencils. A drop-down list should appear for the second one and a blank box for the first one. :ermm:

glo
07-19-2010, 10:25 AM
Ah, that's simple enough. Thank you, LI Aunty! :)

~Raindrop~
07-19-2010, 10:28 AM
You're welcome.
*Gulp* :embarrass

marwen
07-19-2010, 10:47 AM
Added for a trial. :ermm:
2 words zÂk : YOU ROCK !

Misz_Muslimah
07-19-2010, 04:55 PM
I like it! :)

~Raindrop~
07-19-2010, 05:16 PM
Because you can announce your awesomeness to the world? *raised eyebrows* :p
Personally, I think it draws too much attention to...certain other things that I'd rather people didn't see. :ermm:

~Raindrop~
07-19-2010, 05:22 PM
Hide?

Unless you mean hidden in plain sight

It COULD work...

Cabdullahi
07-19-2010, 05:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aisha
Because you can announce your awesomeness to the world? *raised eyebrows* :p
Personally, I think it draws too much attention to...certain other things that I'd rather people didn't see. :ermm:
like aunty pro bike racer?

~Raindrop~
07-19-2010, 05:44 PM
^^I give up. *sigh*

Edit: PS- I'm neither of those things.<_<

cat eyes
07-19-2010, 07:01 PM
how come we cant decorate our profiles with colors. i miss this feature. can the admins install that again?

Asiyah3
07-19-2010, 08:52 PM
On one side, not bad. On the other side I prefer simplicity, and the smiley thing is a bit distracting and unnecessary. I think the forum should feel homely and comfortable. The status thing could be well beneficial for the reasons the OP stated.

To conclude, remove the smiley thing & leave the status.

Woodrow
07-19-2010, 09:53 PM
You mean that silly mood thing works?

Wonder if I can use my admin powers and change any gouchy members to happy? This could be more fun than giving infractions.

piXie
07-20-2010, 06:08 PM

I was wondering if we can have a feature which allows us to show what kind of mood we are in? I seen it on some forum ages ago (can't remember which). I think it will encourage people to be more sensitive when dealing with others.

:wa:
we should be sensitive and considerate to each other anyway... regardless of mood. :hmm:

glo
07-20-2010, 06:55 PM
But why do most people seem to be tired??

piXie
07-20-2010, 07:01 PM
Unc woody was tired which made me feel tired which made someone else feel tired which..

Insaanah
07-20-2010, 07:02 PM

I think, as sis **muslimah** said, get rid of the moods, but I'm don't know about the status.

Everyone should be able to say what they need to without the other person's mood coming into the equation, esp when it comes to communicating with those of the opposite gender. If a brother is feeling sad, that shouldn't influence what I say when I post, nor should I feel it has to. Also it can cause misunderstandings,eg people expecting to be dealt with very gently when they're sad, well that is not going to happen from the opposite gender, and sometimes tough things need to be said.

Sometimes people forget to change moods, eg showing as sad when they're now happy, while people may be tiptoeing around them because of it.

It's unnecessary in my opinion (the mood that is). We wouldn't tell non-mehrams our moods in real life, and I'm not going to do so here in public.

And I think effective communication is more straightforward and to the point without the moods.

Just my opinion...

glo
07-20-2010, 07:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by piXie
Unc woody was tired which made me feel tired which made someone else feel tired which..
It's infectious like yawning then ... :D
I think I'm starting to feel tired too ...

Woodrow
07-20-2010, 07:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
But why do most people seem to be tired??

Can only answer for myself. Farm life is physically exhausting although mentally refreshing.

glo
07-20-2010, 07:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insane Insaan
It's unnecessary in my opinion (the mood that is). We wouldn't tell non-mehrams our moods in real life, and I'm not going to do so here in public.

And I think effective communication is more straightforward and to the point without the moods.

Just my opinion...

Actually, I think Insane Insaan makes a good point.

Making good use of the emoticons and trying to communicate clearly with each other is probably much more useful than the Moods function.
It may be a little light-hearted feature, but I don't think it's going to be helpful or particularly beneficial.

piXie
07-20-2010, 07:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Can only answer for myself. Farm life is physically exhausting although mentally refreshing.
Exam life is physically exhausting and mentally exhausting too...esp with other commitments. Time for me to be off again.

glo
07-20-2010, 07:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
That sounds like a good combination. :)

Sometimes, when I have spent much of my time in the office, I feel exactly the opposite ...

Nájlá
07-20-2010, 07:45 PM
I've set it, now I want to remove it :hmm: how do I do that?

and there isn't enough 'mood' options. :><:

glo
07-20-2010, 08:23 PM
Nájlá, I clicked on the mood options, but then didn't choose one.
Now it says 'Please select a category to choose from: - Cancel' in the mood section

What can you read when you look at my mood section? Is it empty, or do you read the same?

Nájlá
07-20-2010, 09:01 PM
glo, I still read the same 'Sad mood' on your mood section... I tried doing that but it just stays the same.

Sister Unknown
07-20-2010, 09:13 PM
I want to remove it, and I don't know how...

Snowflake
07-20-2010, 10:21 PM
Oh my Gosh! I never expected it! Thank you, you lovely buvly people for making me think you're not doing it and then WHAM just surprising us all out the blue! :D This is so awesome! JazakAllah khayr. Who dunnit? I wish I could send some mithai but it's bad for you lol jks. Thank you. I love it. Hamdulillah! (actually saw it on my way out this morning but I was going to get late somewhere if I stayed to reply, but it made me day!) :) May Allah reward you far more than you could ever anticipate and then reward you some more lol. Ameen.

It's good to be able to see what mood people are in, but I'm also going to worry about the 'sad' ones. And sis ummu sufyaan, why don't you want a mood dear sis? I can see :? as your 'mood' because you ask lots of questions. It'll suit you :p Whaddya say? :giggling: :wub:

Thanks again peeps. That was a really nice surprise :statisfie

Snowflake
07-20-2010, 10:41 PM
I've just read a few posts and noticed that this mood thing isn't to everyone's taste. I don't know what to say tbh. I don't want anyone feeling bad because of me. I'll leave it to the staff and other members to decide. I just got excited cuz I'm a big kid at heart. But I'll be happy whatever the decision inshaAllah.

Sister Unknown
07-20-2010, 10:44 PM
They cause fitna (smile).

Snowflake
07-20-2010, 11:07 PM
^I don't get how? :? I mean who's going to be tempted, and in what? I really don't get it :hiding:

Sister Unknown
07-20-2010, 11:10 PM
Hope this answers your questions sister:

Ruling on drawing smiley faces when chatting on the internet
Drawing faces or pictures of living beings is haram, but on forums and other places on the internet people draw emoticons using symbols, for example (Rasema had to delete it) represents a smiling face if u look at it vertically. is this haram?.

Praise be to Allaah.

It seems – and Allaah knows best – that this face, whether it is smiling or sad, does not come under the same ruling as images that it is forbidden to make, draw, or use, for two reasons:

1 – It contains none of the features of a real face, such as eyes, mouth and nose, and it has no head or ears.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The image is the head; if the head is cut off, there is no image.” Narrated by al-Ismaa’eeli in his Mu’jam from the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Abbaas and classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in al-Silsilah al-Saheehah no. 1921 and in Saheeh al-Jaami’ no. 3864.

2 – The majority of fuqaha’ are of the view that if something is cut off from an image without which it could no longer live, then it is not a haraam image. For a detailed discussion of this issue and the views of other madhhabs, see Ahkaam al-Tasweer fi’l-Fiqh al-Islami, pp. 224-240.

But we should point out two things:

This usage in chatting on the internet does not come under the drawing of images, rather it comes under the use of images.

Please see the answer to question no. 78963.

Secondly: A woman should not use these images when speaking to a man who is not her mahram, because these faces are used to express how she is feeling, so it is as if she is smiling, laughing, acting shy and so on, and a woman should not do that with a non-mahram man.

It is only permissible for a woman to speak to men in cases of necessity, so long as that is in a public chat room and not in private correspondence. See question no. 34841.

And Allaah knows best.

Islamic QA

Ummu Sufyaan
07-21-2010, 09:35 AM
And sis ummu sufyaan, why don't you want a mood dear sis? I can see as your 'mood' because you ask lots of questions. It'll suit you Whaddya say?
i dont think a picture is an accurate representation of any mood...besides some moods are beyond all normal human level of emotion....i may consider it if you really want and insist =)

Cabdullahi
07-21-2010, 09:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan

i dont think a picture is an accurate representation of any mood...besides some moods are beyond all normal human level of emotion....i may consider it if you really want and insist =)
^ mood should be permanently set to angry

~Raindrop~
07-21-2010, 10:00 AM
What's the new mood thing at the top of the page? It seems to be rather....different :-\

Ummu Sufyaan
07-21-2010, 10:02 AM
@ sis aisha: what do you mean? but i can see that its been changed again and it looks alot better.

~Raindrop~
07-21-2010, 10:04 AM
Ah. I viewed it before you removed some of them, methinks.
Looks like you missed one...

marwen
07-21-2010, 10:21 AM
assalamu alaykom !
erm... where did the mood go ? How to show it again ?

marwen
07-21-2010, 10:52 AM
^ ok, jazaka Allahu Khayran.

__follower
07-21-2010, 10:57 AM
will be nice to have somethign new here
but its not dat big deal
its reli gud enuf with moods even now

Snowflake
07-21-2010, 11:08 AM
A woman should not use these images when speaking to a man who is not her mahram, because these faces are used to express how she is feeling, so it is as if she is smiling, laughing, acting shy and so on, and a woman should not do that with a non-mahram man
I think this matter has more intricacies than what is immediately apparent. Of course if a woman is doing that with the intention of flirting, then she will be accountable. I'm sure things like whether she is behaving in that manner for the wrong reasons, or was her response a genuine human reaction, are taken into account. In real life as well as the internet, brothers and sisters see each other joking laughing with their own genders. So it's not exactly the 'showing of moods' that is questionable, but rather, the fact that a sis is behaving inappropriately with non mahrams. For instance, I don't think Allah will punish us for chuckling at seeing a brother tripping over, or his topi flying off in the wind and him chasing it down the road. C'mon anyone would chuckle seeing life's little mishaps like these.

There are times when expressions are unavoidable. In real life situations you can't go round wearing an expression like you've been pulled out of a mortuary. Imagine a female doctor treating a kid who says something funny as kids do, and this makes the doctor laugh/smile in the presence of the kids father. Or the father jokes back with the kid, and the doctor smiles/laughs with them? Allah will punish her because she caused fitnah? I don't think so.

The prophet (pbuh) joked with female companions in good intentions.

Once Prophet Muhammad told a lady that her husband has a white spot in his eyes.The woman came to the side of her husband being very sad and related what the Prophet had said. Her husband told her that the Prophet had joked with her and that he actually meant that everyone has a white spot in their eyes (En-Nuveyri, IV, 3; Ibn Kuteybe ,439; Krs. Koten, IV,466).

Another version

A woman once came to the Prophet (p.b.u.h.) complaining about her husband, so he said to her, "Is your husband the one whose eyes are white?" The woman became worried and thought that her husband had become blind, in light of what Allah said about Jacob, "His eyes whitened from grieving so much..." meaning, he became blind. She went back to her husband terrified and began to look into his eyes carefully. He asked her what the problem was. She said, "The Prophet (p.b.u.h.) said that there is whiteness in your eyes!" The man said, "O woman! Did he not tell you that the whiteness in my eyes is more than the blackness?" meaning; everyone has whiteness and blackness in his eyes.

So it's not a simple as using a smilie/expression used innocently will cause fitnah. If does, then it is those who are tempted that need to be stronger in themselves. Honest, sometimes we have to use our own judgement as to what is appropriate and when and how it isn't.

Snowflake
07-21-2010, 11:24 AM

Of course, it's just a rough projection of 'how we are today'. LOL@besides some moods are beyond all normal human level of emotion. That's true. You don't have to do it sis. It won't make me any happier or sadder. And I'd never have recommended it if I'd known not everyone was going to be happy with it. :)

Nájlá
07-21-2010, 01:37 PM
I'll see if I can add something as 'Blank/not set' option there :ermm:

I'll replace this whole set with another one with loads of options[I just need to remove some inappropriate ones from the list and upload].
Jazakallah khayr. Looks much better.

Sister Unknown
07-21-2010, 01:45 PM
I think this matter has more intricacies than what is immediately apparent.
Dear sister, the scholar is not blaming nor is he speaking of any punishment for this. He is simply saying that if we use it, men may get some reaction or emotion from it. And what applies on men also applies on females.

I hope you understand.

ziyad
07-21-2010, 02:02 PM
Is this mood thing only for full members?? or do we second class citizens also qualify, I don't see any moody thingy on my stuff.

glo
07-21-2010, 04:03 PM
You are only 3 posts away from ceasing to be a second class citizen, ziyad. You can do it!! :D

glo
07-21-2010, 04:43 PM
I like the new moods better, zÂk.
Firstly there are more options, and secondly the images are quite funky.

The 'fine' face looks a bit goggly-eyed though! :D

Well done!

aadil77
07-21-2010, 04:56 PM
^good for you, now how about you fix the width of this forum?

Snowflake
07-21-2010, 04:58 PM
Should we be able to see the emoticons in the drop down list? All I see is the descriptions.

~Raindrop~
07-21-2010, 05:00 PM
^^Yep you should.
I can see the emoticons, no idea why you can't :?

Snowflake
07-21-2010, 05:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aisha
^^Yep you should.
I can see the emoticons, no idea why you can't :?
Wudn't that take long to load for ppl using slow internet connections? :er
mm:
Still can't see them despite waiting over a minute to load. They just aren't there : \

~Raindrop~
07-21-2010, 05:26 PM
It was my mistake. No one can.
I thought you meant the ones at the bottom lol

Alpha Dude
07-21-2010, 06:28 PM
I don't know how to :p
It's an easy fix if you are able to modify css files.

For element blue, try and modify the red value on this line:

body{min-width:650px;width:auto;margin:0 12px}
Reduce it to 0 to get rid of the sides altogether or something lower than 12.

There might be other places where changes might also need applying but this one seems most obvious right now and hopefully is the only required one.

You could add this:

#body{
margin: 0 0;
}

to the end of the file instead of editing the line above (it overwrites the previous value) and simply remove it if it doesn't work as expected.

Edit: this is the file: http://www.islamicboard.com/images/e..._blue_plus.css

Snowflake
07-21-2010, 06:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sister Unknown
Dear sister, the scholar is not blaming nor is he speaking of any punishment for this. He is simply saying that if we use it, men may get some reaction or emotion from it. And what applies on men also applies on females.
I hope you understand.
ooh I see. ok mashaAllah that's true : )

I meant... I've enabled only text, as that'll take long to load for some members. Let me try the images list.
Oh ok.. np inshaAllah

Ummu Sufyaan
07-22-2010, 12:41 AM
i think the only ones that should be removed are the 'in love' and 'bashful' ones.

PouringRain
07-22-2010, 04:23 AM
i think the only ones that should be removed are the 'in love' and 'bashful' ones.
I like those. Someone could be feeling "in love" with their husband, or "bashful" about an upcoming job interview. Hmmmm, I guess "in love" can go. I'll vote for that with you. Can we keep bashful? LOL Bashful is like shy or could even be used for embarrassed. I'd be more concerned if it said "coy." ;D

__follower
07-22-2010, 06:49 AM
ya its just a mood anyways , and it can mean in love with some posts aswell
so i think its ok
aha

Muhammad
07-22-2010, 05:00 PM
Assalaamu Alaykum,

I personally don't like the whole 'Moods' thing. In addition to concerns about fitnah, it doesn't feel right - perhaps because it makes the place closer in resemblance to some kind of aimless social networking site/chat room rather than an Islamic site that serves to benefit. I feel it somehow takes away from what LI is supposed to be.

Just thought I'd add my voice to the minority. :)

aadil77
07-22-2010, 05:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad
Assalaamu Alaykum,

I personally don't like the whole 'Moods' thing. In addition to concerns about fitnah, it doesn't feel right - perhaps because it makes the place closer in resemblance to some kind of aimless social networking site/chat room rather than an Islamic site that serves to benefit. I feel it somehow takes away from what LI is supposed to be.

Just thought I'd add my voice to the minority. :)
thats what I thought, it gives us a social discussion/chat room kind of look, too much personal touch for an islamic forum

Snowflake
07-22-2010, 09:00 PM
I've never been on a social networking site, and have no idea what they look like. So my perspective of the moods is different. But an Islamic forum should be one place where everyone feels comfortable. I'm sure those who like the moods feature won't mind seeing it go. Speaking for myself, I was comfortable before and will still be. Over to the admins.

PouringRain
07-22-2010, 10:48 PM
I do like the aspect of what it was intended for by Scents of Jannah when she suggested in the OP that it can help others be more sensitive to each other when posting to them. Maybe this is a female thing? I know that I look at moods and notice if someone is sad, or tired, or other. Our mood is not an excuse for our behavior, but it certainly can help others understand why we may post the things that we do.

But I do agree that if the admins choose to get rid of it, then it would not bother me. I think those of us who are sensitive to those things, are sensitive to others even when we do not know their mood. :) The visual "mood" just helps on a medium where conveyed emotion is often missed. (Which is also why smilies are nice.) If I wrote something while feeling "aggressive" versus feeling "playful" versus feeling "sick" then it could completely change the meaning behind what I wrote.

glo
07-23-2010, 06:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by PouringRain
I do like the aspect of what it was intended for by Scents of Jannah when she suggested in the OP that it can help others be more sensitive to each other when posting to them. Maybe this is a female thing? I know that I look at moods and notice if someone is sad, or tired, or other. Our mood is not an excuse for our behavior, but it certainly can help others understand why we may post the things that we do.

But I do agree that if the admins choose to get rid of it, then it would not bother me. I think those of us who are sensitive to those things, are sensitive to others even when we do not know their mood. :) The visual "mood" just helps on a medium where conveyed emotion is often missed. (Which is also why smilies are nice.) If I wrote something while feeling "aggressive" versus feeling "playful" versus feeling "sick" then it could completely change the meaning behind what I wrote.
In theory that sounds like a good idea, but I don't think it works in practice.

Even if I identify a 'general mood' it doesn't mean that all posts will be written in that mood. Putting 'relaxed' as my mood, doesn't mean I cannot feel tense or annoyed when replying to a particular posts.

Worse still, as we change our mood icon, it will change that icon on all posts previously written. So mood I was in when I wrote the post does not remain visible in the future (Only emoticons used within the text body do that).

I think for the general purpose of conveying how we meant a post to be understood by the reader, emoticons are by far more accurate.

Snowflake
07-23-2010, 10:13 AM

Well said! I'd thought of suggesting the moods feature because I thought it would reduce the friction between members, and people may be more tolerant if they see the person behind the post is having a bad day etc. Maybe instead of smilies we can have reminders like 'patience is a virtue' and so on. It'd be more along Islamic lines and therefore more beneficial. Haha! Poor admins seem to have their work cut out here ;D

May Allah reward their efforts. Ameen

Asiyah3
07-23-2010, 12:32 PM
Isn't the moods a bit childish and immature for an Islamic forum? :ermm: Just my opinion.

PouringRain
07-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Glo, you made some good points, and that is especially true for people who may change their mood icon more frequently. Maybe we need a "post mood" rather than a "forum mood". :p

My mood has been "tired" or "sleepy" since we started this mood thing, and I must confess that I am generally always tired or sleepy, but really it doesn't tell a whole lot else about my mood. I could be tired and irritable, or tired and silly, or tired and vulnerable, or tired and tired. :statisfie This morning I woke up tired and a bit ..... hmmm, difficult to describe my secondary as it is a complex one that generally is upbeat and feeling good, with a slight daring capacity, and eager anticipation to get going on all my cleaning that needs done as soon as I finish my morning tea.

Muhammad
07-23-2010, 02:04 PM
I guess from this perspective it has a good intention behind it. But I also think that one of the good things about forums is that our posts need not be affected by the mood we are in. There is time to go away and simmer down, get some sleep or refresh one's mind before replying to someone else's post. In fact, this often helps to increase the quality of posts as opposed to those written in haste and in the heat of a moment. It is true that we all get influenced by our emotions to some degree when writing posts, but we need to learn to control our emotions rather than have them dictate our posts. As you said, they should not be an excuse for our behaviour, which is a potential problem that may arise.

Also, sometimes it is possible to pick up someone's mood from their way of writing a post - especially if they are angry. Other emotions may not be as important to know, like whether someone is feeling "relaxed", "angelic" and so on. And as glo said, there are practical problems with using the facility to understand someone's posts. So I'm not sure how effective the moods facility will be in reducing friction between members.

Isn't the moods a bit childish and immature for an Islamic forum?
It does seem to take away some of that maturity or seriousness...

Anyway, I'm sorry sister Scents of Jannah to be critical of your idea - I can see there are good intentions behind it. If it's votes that the decision will be based on, then I'm not sure whether any changes will be made.

جوري
07-23-2010, 02:36 PM
I have to disagree with most of what is written here.. it is just an emoticon with no underlying dimensions.
in fact studies do show that what is said has very little to contribute to how others perceive what we are saying, rather the tone of voice and body language neither which is conveyed through a forum. I can't tell if someone is gassy or hurting, or angry, or emotionally labile, or homicidal, we take things at written value, I think much fuss about nothing.. what it does is simply add color or dimension to the forum.. to me it is no different than decorating with enlighten skin or different color handwriting.. it is merely there to take away from the monochromatic monotony of what otherwise would be bulk writing..

:w:

glo
07-23-2010, 02:45 PM
^
According to A. Barbour, author of Louder Than Words: Nonverbal Communication, the total impact of a message breaks down like this:

7 percent verbal (words)
38 percent vocal (volume, pitch, rhythm, etc)
55 percent body movements (mostly facial expressions)
http://www.minoritycareernet.com/new...5q3nonver.html

Nothing can replace proper face-to-face conversations, which includes facial expressions, tone of voice, body language etc - but the nearest we have to conveying our emotions in this forum environments are the emoticons.
Even then, they are open to different interpretations and usage, which may at times create confusion.

Only this morning I asked a brother why he kept using this emoticon :p. To me it conveys being cheeky or not overly serious. But he explained that to him is was just a friendly smiley face.
Same symbol, but different ways of reading it ...

glo
07-23-2010, 02:48 PM
LOL

I'm just trying the chatty one. Manic, or what!! :D

~Raindrop~
07-23-2010, 02:52 PM
It's giving me a headache between the eyes. And an irresistable urge to give it a good thump :X

lol

glo
07-23-2010, 02:58 PM
^

I notice that my chatty mood is making you angry! :D

Let me go and change it to something a little less stressy ...

~Raindrop~
07-23-2010, 03:00 PM
lol no, I was messing. It's just rather irksome. Reminds me of chatty students who never shut up lol
And who wants to be reminded of that on the first day of the Summer hols?
:D

glo
07-23-2010, 03:05 PM
You're a teacher? At the start of the summer holidays?
You must be the happiest person alive!! (You and millions of students, of course) :D

Snowflake
07-24-2010, 10:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad
Anyway, I'm sorry sister Scents of Jannah to be critical of your idea - I can see there are good intentions behind it. If it's votes that the decision will be based on, then I'm not sure whether any changes will be made.
No worries akhi. I'm not offended at all. But it's a very uncomfortable feeling knowing that something you've initiated is uncomfortable for others. I doubt the votes will change now. But since it was my suggestion, I'll ask bro zAk if he would remove it.

But I also think that one of the good things about forums is that our posts need not be affected by the mood we are in. There is time to go away and simmer down, get some sleep or refresh one's mind before replying to someone else's post. In fact, this often helps to increase the quality of posts as opposed to those written in haste and in the heat of a moment. It is true that we all get influenced by our emotions to some degree when writing posts, but we need to learn to control our emotions rather than have them dictate our posts. As you said, they should not be an excuse for our behaviour, which is a potential problem that may arise.
Agreed. That made me think. JazakAllah khayr.

Danah
07-25-2010, 11:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by **muslimah**
Isn't the moods a bit childish and immature for an Islamic forum? :ermm: Just my opinion.
yeah I think so.

No offense to those who are supporting the idea, but it really takes away some maturity of the forum.

And I don't think that this is helping people to know my mood when I posted a specific post, simply because anyone else might read the same post few days after I posted it and I might change the mood I am in. Its rarely happened that a person have the same mood for weeks, isn't it? :hmm:

So my vote is: No, remove it!

marwen
07-25-2010, 11:39 AM
I like moods. If we used smilies, why don't we use moods ?

But I'm not a very learned muslim to decide. So on whatever you agree I'm with you, if that will please Allah.

Haya emaan
07-25-2010, 03:02 PM
i hav found moods a good addition i liked it too.... bt it was going alrite without it also ...

Periwinkle18
07-25-2010, 03:19 PM
i like the idea :) plus the smileys with every mood r so cute :P

Neelofar
07-25-2010, 03:27 PM
Salaamz! I like the mood feature too :D could someone please tell me how to get that on my profile because i can't seem to find it! :(

Haya emaan
07-25-2010, 03:32 PM
sis on very top of the page it gives u the option of my mood

Neelofar
07-25-2010, 03:38 PM
Were you referring to the poll? perhaps you misunderstood my question? urmm i'm asking how i can get the moods thingy on my profile because i don't know how to get it?..

Haya emaan
07-25-2010, 03:48 PM
not the poll sis... i meant on very top of this page

Neelofar
07-25-2010, 03:54 PM
Ohhh! i'm so sorry but i still can't seem to find it! * embarrassed* i think i may not be able to access it because i'm not a full member yet :(

Ğħαrєєвαħ
07-25-2010, 09:09 PM
I like the new feature MashaAllaah its geekyficial :D
Great work Thread starter you got listeners out there aye!

glo
07-29-2010, 04:31 PM
Marwen, your 'dead' mood is cracking me up!

Something tells me you are lying, and you are not really dead ... ! :D

<Wonders is being dead can be considered a mood ... :skeleton:>

Ğħαrєєвαħ
07-29-2010, 08:44 PM
^I also wondered that too but i just cudnt stop wondering as i never recieved an answer :-\

Sistah Glo thats geeky people for you aye :-\ they just never stop being officially geeky darnn Geeky people

marwen
07-29-2010, 09:44 PM

^ lol lol ;D
Yes I'm dead now, and I'm sorry for the late reply, coz you know, when you're dead it's difficult to have internet access. :skeleton:
lol J/K. I used that icon to say that I'm so tired that I have no mood. Let's say my mood is dead right now.

@sister Muslimah 4 Life :
1) Just to reassure you, I'm not yet dead. Anyway, if I'm dead I won't be able to put it in my mood icon ;D.
2) You should do a copyright

to your famous word "Geeky". Otherwise, it risks to be stolen by other members who will use it to look as geeky as you (ouups I used your word again, hope you don't mind).

Ğħαrєєвαħ
07-29-2010, 09:53 PM
^Well you can see my Mood, check it out because it says everything about how i feel abou what you just claimed Brother Marwen :-/

Indeed as you people claimeth!

cat eyes
07-30-2010, 12:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by marwen

^ lol lol ;D
Yes I'm dead now, and I'm sorry for the late reply, coz you know, when you're dead it's difficult to have internet access. :skeleton:
lol J/K. I used that icon to say that I'm so tired that I have no mood. Let's say my mood is dead right now.

1) Just to reassure you, I'm not yet dead. Anyway, if I'm dead I won't be able to put it in my mood icon ;D.

to your famous word "Geeky". Otherwise, it risks to be stolen by other members who will use it to look as geeky as you (ouups I used your word again, hope you don't mind).
i believe we are dead yet we are alive yet when we will die we will be alive :D

can anyone understand this??

marwen
07-30-2010, 12:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes

i believe we are dead yet we are alive yet when we will die we will be alive :D

can anyone understand this??
Yes, if you're taking about the true life, when we'll be dead we will be able to see the full truth (al yaqeen), indeed we'll be more alive (conscious) after death.
:)

cat eyes
07-30-2010, 12:27 AM

Yes, if you're taking about the true life, when we'll be dead we will be able to see the full truth (al yaqeen), indeed we'll be more alive (conscious) after death.
:)
yes subhanAllah brother u got it :D

Beardo
07-30-2010, 07:17 PM
I'm being bashful.

This whole mood thing is making me feel like a girl. :l

Ğħαrєєвαħ
07-30-2010, 07:19 PM
What does Bashful even mean? :-\ Can someone geeky enough care to geekily explain pls InshaAllaah if your not geeky enuff

Beardo
07-30-2010, 07:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by мυѕℓιмαн 4 ℓιfє
What does Bashful even mean? :-\ Can someone geeky enough care to geekily explain pls InshaAllaah if your not geeky enuff
I was told that I am geeky. Most people classify me as dorky though. Alhamdulillah. :]

But bashful means shyful, I believe.

glo
07-30-2010, 07:23 PM
Bashful means "Shy, self-conscious, and awkward in the presence of others."
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/bashful

Ğħαrєєвαħ
07-30-2010, 07:24 PM
^lol your not Dorky akhee you geeky now because you answered a Q

Jazakallahu Khaayran i remember the Prophet Muhamamad(SAW) was described as really Shy and the word Bashful was included

Beardo
07-30-2010, 07:27 PM
^lol your not Dorky akhee you geeky now because you answered a Q

Jazakallahu Khaayran i remember the Prophet Muhamamad(SAW) was described as really Shy and the word Bashful was included
It's you're, not your. ("Your not dorky....") Consider me a... "Grammar Nazi". =P

Anyhow, indeed, I also heard that description somewhere. Yet, he must have also had confidence to preach to the masses as well. Masha-Allah, he was the perfect balance.

marwen
07-30-2010, 07:28 PM
^ I think it means "shy" or "timid", not sure :-\

@ bro Rashad :
you may use these moods as well :

LOOOOL
;D

Ğħαrєєвαħ
07-30-2010, 07:29 PM
MashAllaah he was and sorry my "grammar" is bad, or "Grammer" however it is spelt :-\

Ofcourse he was the best of Creation!

Ğħαrєєвαħ
07-30-2010, 07:29 PM
^ I think it means "shy" or "timid", not sure :-\

@ bro Rashad :
you may use these moods as well :

LOOOOL
;D
How Geeky :-\

glo
07-31-2010, 12:09 PM
I wanted to put 'stressed' as my mood ... but seeing the little stressed face made me even more stressed!!

:phew

Nájlá
09-11-2010, 01:17 PM
My mood isn't changing for me.. I don't know why so if its possible can any of the staff please set my mood to 'none'.

Ansariyah
09-11-2010, 02:26 PM
I thınk ıts nıce to have these mood smılıes, why not? It just shows how people are feelıng thats all...

marwen
09-23-2010, 02:10 PM
I have a question : Why the "none" mood does not have a picture ? :ermm:

oh ! I got it. Never mind.

Amoeba
09-23-2010, 03:01 PM
Hahaha... my mood changes at the drop of a hat. So I can't see myself ever using this feature since by time I have changed it I'll need to change it again.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
09-23-2010, 05:07 PM
^same here, i just do it for fun :-\

I know geeky right :-\

'Abd Al-Maajid
09-23-2010, 05:18 PM
I am waiting for my mood to change and then I'll update here. :)

Ğħαrєєвαħ
09-23-2010, 05:27 PM
^ that must take a lot of time, since your mood is set to "worried"

Geeky stuff
:-\

'Abd Al-Maajid
09-23-2010, 05:28 PM

^I also wondered that too but i just cudnt stop wondering as i never recieved an answer :-\

Sistah Glo thats geeky people for you aye :-\ they just never stop being officially geeky darnn Geeky people

^ lol lol ;D

I think that 'dead' mood is to update the status 'dead'. I'll let my mood changed to 'dead' and request for account ban (if banned accounts are to show moods) when I really die. :) Then people will know that I really died. :)

'Abd Al-Maajid
09-23-2010, 05:33 PM
1) Just to reassure you, I'm not yet dead. Anyway, if I'm dead I won't be able to put it in my mood icon .
2) You should do a copyright to your famous word "Geeky". Otherwise, it risks to be stolen by other members who will use it to look as geeky as you (ouups I used your word again, hope you don't mind).
Sister Muslimah4life gave a new definition to this smiley :-\, geeky! ;D

Ğħαrєєвαħ
09-23-2010, 05:58 PM
^Indeed as you claim, why does everyone all of a sudden think i love the word "geeky" ?

Indeed as you all claimm!!!!!!

'Abd Al-Maajid
09-23-2010, 06:01 PM
^Sorry.:phew (Her mood says angry)

S.Belle
09-23-2010, 06:02 PM
I have a question : Why the "none" mood does not have a picture ? :ermm:

oh ! I got it. Never mind.
bahahaha this made me laugh so hard
if it did maybe it should just be faceless....just a yellow circle..

Yanal
09-24-2010, 03:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mila
bahahaha this made me laugh so hard
if it did maybe it should just be faceless....just a yellow circle..

I think the smilies that are included are there for a reason;which is to give a better understanding on what the specific mood actually is if someone doesn't know the meaning, or plainly just to entertain some members.

'Abd Al-Maajid
01-19-2011, 12:29 PM
Can a new mood, solitary/solitude be added to the list?

Beardo
01-29-2011, 05:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdulmājid
Can a new mood, solitary/solitude be added to the list?
Lol, you and Grofica! She requested "curious." Moods should be general. Otherwise, with all these Sisters on this forum, we'll have a list of million+ moods!

Ğħαrєєвαħ
01-29-2011, 08:53 PM
^Yep thats indeed Geeky people for you! :-\

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!