/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Tell me. pls, how things are with

Monika.A
05-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Tell me, pls, how things are with portraits of people. I am portrait maker. Why Islamist doctrine says I do something wrong when I create face of someone on paper or in stone?
And whats a deifference between potrtrait and photograph?
Thank You for Your opinion.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
05-12-2010, 08:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Monika.A
Tell me, pls, how things are with portraits of people. I am portrait maker. Why Islamist doctrine says I do something wrong when I create face of someone on paper or in stone?
Just quoting without opinion. You may want to investigate further.

Hadith - Bukhari 3:428, Narrated Said bin Abu Al-Hasan

While I was with Ibn 'Abbas a man came and said, "O father of 'Abbas! My sustenance is from my manual profession and I make these pictures." Ibn 'Abbas said, "I will tell you only what I heard from Allah's Apostle . I heard him saying, 'Whoever makes a picture will be punished by Allah till he puts life in it, and he will never be able to put life in it.' " Hearing this, that man heaved a sigh and his face turned pale. Ibn 'Abbas said to him, "What a pity! If you insist on making pictures I advise you to make pictures of trees and any other unanimated objects."

Hadith -Bukhari 4:47, Narrated 'Aisha

I stuffed for the Prophet a pillow decorated with pictures (of animals) which looked like a Namruqa (i.e. a small cushion). He came and stood among the people with excitement apparent on his face. I said, "O Allah's Apostle! What is wrong?" He said, "What is this pillow?" I said, "I have prepared this pillow for you, so that you may recline on it." He said, "Don't you know that angels do not enter a house wherein there are pictures; and whoever makes a picture will be punished on the Day of Resurrection and will be asked to give life to (what he has created)?"

غزالی
05-12-2010, 11:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Monika.A
Sister Here you can see complete islamic ruling on Images and image-making from every point of view.

ruk
05-13-2010, 08:33 PM
Praise be to Allah (The Glorified and Exalted).

In Islamic theology, Allah (God) (The Exalted) has created a system of rules, right and wrong on this Earth. He has His own Jealousy or sense of Honor, this is why sometimes His Rules may not necessarily be the same as other individual people (that have shaped their own ideas based upon their society, family, education, etc). This is the reason He sent revelation and prophethood to teach mankind His Rules. In the end, He will Judge the people on the Day of Judgment based on whether they followed His Rules or not. Those that follow His Rules go to Heaven and those that refuse go to Hell. The Almighty states that He does not want humans creating images of animate beings (humans and animals). This is His Law. This may have to do with His Jealousy over His creation, which He made by His Own Hand. This is perhaps why He (The Glorified) does not want anyone, by their hand, mimicking His animate beings. This is perhaps why the Almighty becomes Angered and Tells the individuals that have created animate beings by their "hands" (either by portrait or statue) to "breath life into it" on the Day of Judgment.

There is a concession given to creating toys, books, cartoons, for young children or drawing images of people in order to find them, such as missing people or criminals. In the medical profession, drawing images is also permitted, in case of performing surgeries, or etc.

In terms of taking pictures, there is a difference of opinion. Some say it is also forbidden, but others say it is permitted because it is not something done by the "hand," (meaning as intimate as creating with one's hand) but a process of snapping a photo. Recording videos is also permitted, likewise.

In other traditions, creating images of animate is also forbidden. For example, fundamentalist christians known as old amish, do not like have their images taken or image making. There are also fundamentalist jews that are the same. It may have to do with the following commandment from among the Ten Commandments:

"You shall not make for yourself an image, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth."

Learn more about Islam at the following sites:

1) http://www.islamreligion.com/
2) http://thedeenshow.com/

And Allah (The Glorified and Exalted) Knows Best.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!