/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A collaborative effort

Woodrow
12-28-2010, 11:33 PM
Very few countries can match Egypt for natural beauty and charm. A blend of ancient and modern. the old indistinguishable from the new. A continuous history in which the past, present and future blend into what can only be called Egypt. A land where time is meaningless, where ocean and desert become one. The land that is the doorway to both the world's largest desert and longest river. A land of contrasts but all forming a harmonious balance of beauty. A well known land with many hidden mysteries.

It was a very ancient looking building even for the easternmost edge of Cairo. Not quite desert, not quite city, not quite rural but definitely Egyptian as only Egyptian can be. The inn was a very solid stone structure. Looking very secure. Not very massive in size yet having the appearance of a fortress. Local tales attest that the building existed even before the Pharaohs. Some old tales circulate that it was built of a single rock by the Jinn. It was a very plain looking building that was extremely complex in it's simplicity. The rock it was built from had a reddish tinge to it which made it stand out from the numerous white limestone structures nearby. It was hard to tell if it was made from one solid stone or from blocks. Looking at it from a short distance one would say it was made of blocks. But, when one examined it closely no seams separating the blocks could be seen. A beautiful but mysterious building, with an ancient date palm standing as sentinel by the Entrance.

It was a cool, pleasant evening as Ahmed wandered into the quiet secluded Inn for a pleasant evening of conversing with a small number of friends. Perhaps to enjoy a pleasant meal together and after sharing a pot of Chai while forgetting all the trials of the day. Even for Egypt the Inn had a very quaint beauty and feeling of mystery about it. The early September evening added to the charm and made for a comfortable evening. Ahmad looked forward to once again seeing his long time friends.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
12-29-2010, 12:12 AM
Ahmed walked over to the private dining room he and his friends had reserved for their peaceful dinner and relaxed evening. Like always he was late and his 4 friends were already seated around the table. In the center of the table was a large platter of boiled Fava beans skewered on tooth picks as appetizers. "As Salaamu Alaikum" greeted Ahmed and was returned with a unanimous "wa Alaikum wa Salaam Akhi you're late again." He smiled slightly embarrassed and thought back of how afraid of Fava Beans he was as a child. An older cousin had told him that they were boiled baby crocodile kidneys and if he accidentally ate one that was not cooked fully it would come to life and eat his stomach.

جوري
12-29-2010, 04:36 PM
Just at that very moment the door bell rang, Ahmed wasn't expecting any visitors, and was looking for an afternoon with his friends. A man at the door dresses in postal gear asked him to sign and handed him a small package..
''Who could this be from'' Ahmed thought to himself.. the small package looked as if it came from a remote place in Europe. The envelope itself looked of another era.
Ahmad opened the package and inside was an antique key, plane tickets and a letter..

Dear Grigor,

your great uncle Borsilav has passed on, he left Rosewood manor and all its contents to you. Please find the enclosed tickets and come on the assigned date to claim the manor and to go over some paper work.

Ahmed went to sit at the table in deep thoughts one of his friends snatched the letter to read.. he hadn't made contact with his family since his conversion to Islam and couldn't imagine why his late great uncle would leave that manor in his name...............

جوري
12-30-2010, 11:11 PM
a moment of light and a moment of darkness...

Ahmed left his friends with the letter, the tickets and the old key and headed for his clawfoot bathtub.. he found water therapeutic and his head was heavy with the weight of a million thought.. one minute he is enjoying the splendor of the east with his friends and a warm evening with a modest meal in their company, and another the cold past is reaching through the velum of time with its tentacles ready to ensnare him back.

someone shut the lights while Ahmed soaked his fatigued body in the water-- there was a moment of total darkness and then the lights went back on. But there wasn't anyone there and Ahmed knew.. The lights have been shutting off and on for Ahmed for as long as he can remember.. and though he'd seen just about every neurologist and psychiatrist in town he knew it wasn't a medical condition per se. Amaurosis fugax one of them said but it certainly didn't explain that the lights went off in both eyes.. he certainly didn't have any underlying medical conditions.. A vasovagal reflex another said, but that wasn't it either he is always conscious during those episodes.. La belle indifference? but Ahmed had no issues to work out that needed resolutions... psychological hiccup perhaps?.. but he knew better.. Ahmed by all account a visionary and in such a moment of a 'psychological hiccup' is when he left his old world behind and found Islam .. Today's hiccup came and went in silence.. No wisdom to guide him through what comes next.. no comforting feeling .. nothing of familiarity .. just the dark past calling him to a great unknown.. Ahmed felt a sinking feeling and submerged his head under the water to hear his thoughts reverberate from beneath ..........................................

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muhaba
01-05-2011, 07:28 AM
Well I couldn't resist, after i read what others wrote. so here's my contribution.

It was a good thing these blackouts didn't happen when he was out, or he might get run over by a truck or something, he thought. the traffic here was terrible. He let his thoughts roam to his first time in this country, when suddenly the lights went out again and then he heard footsteps. before he could think what to do next, someone pushed his head, keeping it underwater. Ahmed wanted to scream, but he couldn't. he flared his hands about to try to get the hands off his head, but to no avail. his oxygen starved lungs burned. Not being able to keep himself from inhaling, water rushed into his lungs with a horrible pain and he sunk to the bottom to the tub, sure that he was about to die.

he didn't know how long he'd been under water or how long he was unconscious, or whether he was still alive. he heard voices in the distance, unable to decipher what was being said.

someone was pushing his chest hard, saying something, but he wasn't able to decipher what was being said. suddenly, he started caughing, and coughed out water.
"he's still alive, it is miracle," someone said.
"I hope there isn't too much damage," another said.
"we need to get him to hospital," a third voice said. "where is Ali, we need taxi. Jasem, go find Ali."

As Ahmed came to, he gazed at the worried faces around him, there were three now, and one was going out the door, fast. he couldn't recognize them, he had never known them. As he let his glance wander around the room, he realized he was in a totally different world. he had never seen this place before, not even in pictures, with it's strange walls built of large stone blocks and strange antique-looking furniture.

"Ahmed," said man who had been pressing his chest. "Are you all-right?"

"what? my name is Grigor Thomas. where am i and why are you pressing my chest?"

"someone tried to kill you by drowning you. it is good Jasem was passing by and saw a man run out of your house. worried, Jasem came in to check on you and found you underwater. if he had been late, you might have died. i am glad you recovered, Ahmed." the man wiped tears. "what great loss it would be."

"I am telling you, my name isn't Ahmed." Ahmed said, sitting up. "let me go, i don't know you or trust you. where am i?"

He was now sure he had been kidnapped by terrorists. he wished he had listened to his great-uncle and not become a journalist. this must be one of the assignments that the news service must have sent him on.

"You are in Egypt. in it's oldest city ..."
before he could continue, two men ran in.

"what have i heard?" shouted the second man. "is it true someone tried to kill Ahmed?"

"I think it must be one of his old aquantances who weren't happy he converted."

"no," said the man who had shouted. "i think it must have something to do with the will. i read Ahmed's letter. i think someone tried to get a hold of it."

"what in hell are you talking about," ahmed shouted in the rudest manner. "i am calling the police. he tried to get away from the men, but he was too weak to struggle."

"you need doctor," the man named Jasem said. "Ali, go find taxi."

"I am not going anywhere with you guys," Ahmed said. but the men didn't listen. Ali went to get a taxi. After a few minutes, he walked in with who must be the taxi driver. The five men got a hold of Ahmed and picking him up took him out side into the taxi. Ahmed tried resisting them, but he was too weak and outnumbered. he kept shouting. as they lay him in the back seat, locking the door behind him, he was sure he had just landed in some organ-selling ring.

"look, i'll give you whatever money you want, but please let me go," he tried as a last resort.

After some time, they brought him to a hospital, and the doctor started examining him. sure that this was his last moment, Ahmed's head started spinning and the next moment, everything went dark.

He came to the next day, as warm sunshine spilled into the room. looking about, he saw electronic equipment. where was he? suddenly he remembered some of the night before's events. a letter, a key, a fortune-teller telling him about an ancient building in the desert whose key he held, laughing about the nonsense of it to a friend as they walked through the marketplace, someone trying to drown him in a pool of water, four men saving his life and bringing him to this hospital. he looked about and suddenly, fear overtook him. he didn't know who those men were. could it be they had tried killing him and tried to steal his letter and key and when unable to find it, they saved him so they could get information out of him about their whereabouts? he had to get out of here before it was too late. jumping out of the hospital bed, he ran for the window just as the door opened.

i hope there aren't any medical mistakes, as i didn't research for this.

جوري
01-08-2011, 03:35 AM
Nurse give me a haloperidol push and a vial of benztropine stat, start an IV of 0.9% normal saline, he appears delusional and dehydrated.
doctor Ibrahim went to speak with the three young men in the waiting room are, Jasem biting his nails, he was always the most sensitive of the bunch, he couldn't get a grip on what was going on and that it was going on much too quickly.. in a matter of hours they've seen a perfectly vital animated young man go from enjoying dinner to serious delusions.
''can you please tell me a little of bit background''-'' Is Ahmed on any medications, is he taking illegal drugs?''
''No, doctor of course not'' Said Ali
''I am not judging you boys, I just need to know if this is an acute psychotic episode or an ongoing medical problem or if drugs are involved, I am just trying to save your friend's life no more no less. ''.. ''Does he have a family history or schizophrenia or bipolar disorder?'' and I need a list of all the medications he is currently taking..

''listen doctor I don't want to be crude or anything but Ahmed is a health conscious nut and a devoutly religious.. as far as we know, this all started after that letter he got yesterday''.

''letter, what letter, I need to see it''

''we are not carrying letters on us and what business is it of yours what's in the letter? look all we know is our friend is sick and you need to do something fast, he has no recollection of his identity even, he went upstairs yesterday before touching his dinner, said he wasn't feeling good, went to take a bath, and what we thought straight to bed, but Jasem found him naked in the atrium around fajr time, he has been slipping in and out of consciousness and though we're not doctors, he appeared to be hallucinating, mumbling all sorts of nonsense for sure we thought he'd die of exposure, he yelled all sorts of obscenities, we hailed a cab and mind you it was no easy task in this old city and at that hour and well the rest as they say is history''

''I see'' said the doctor,..............................

Woodrow
01-09-2011, 06:03 AM
The Doctor attempted to speak with Ahmed to verify if he was lucid and coherent. "Tell me Ahmed, have you ever experienced anything like this episode before" Ahmed's face began to take on a strange appearance his neat short black beard was looking grayish and much longer. Ahmed began mumbling "I must speak with Boris and Sergei immediately"

The doctor looked at Ahmed's friends and asked "Who are Boris and Sergei? Where they with you at dinner?" One of the friends spoke up "Ahmed has never mentioned those names before. I do not know who he is talking about."

Somebody spoke out "It was the fava beans there was something wrong with them. Ahmed looked like he was afraid of something after he ate one." The doctor thought for a moment "Ergot poisoning? Could the beans somehow been contaminated with moldy wheat?"

Ahmed began getting more restless and his appearance was changing even more. His dark brown eyes were starting to look blue. His skin seemed to be wrinkling and aging before their very eyes. the young man was starting to look like a middle aged overweight fair skinned Russian.

Ahmed began mumbling in a strange language "Shto vie delayete? " One of the Nurses spoke up "I'm Russian, he is asking 'What are you doing' in Russian." Ali spoke out "Ahmed doesn't speak Russian."

But Georgi speaks Russian, it is his Native tongue.

Muezzin
01-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Ahmed closed his eyes.

Grigor Georgi Thomas opened them.

He saw no doctors or nurses or machines. No strangers who claimed to be his friends. No hospital room to house them. Grit and sun stung and burned his skin. The smell of antiseptic was usurped by the stench of death. Thunder boomed under a clear sky. Tremors shook the earth beneath his back.

He rose. Sand and rock stretched to the horizon. Bodies on the ground explained the stench. Soldiers to the west thundered hail from their guns, and a tank in the distance shook the desert floor.

The air whistled and the earth belched fire. Grigor sprawled to the ground, covering his head and squeezing shut his eyes.

Ahmed opened them.

The people in the hospital room spoke a language he did not understand but recognised as English. Americans? Was this one of their bases? Had he been captured?

What of Boris and Sergei? Had they been caught? Killed by Afghans or Americans?

Had they abandoned him?

Nobody answered his questions, no matter how much he demanded in his mother tongue, no matter how much he flailed against the plastic line attached to his arm. The doctor moved towards him, face panicked. Ahmed shoved him away. The strangers who claimed to know him held him against the bed. Darkness sucked light from the world.

Grigor blinked light back into it. The desert sand grated against his cheek and someone pulled his face from the ground. Grigor looked into the man’s eyes, registering peripherally his moustache, his fine-cut suit, his curly hair crowned by a red fez.

“Grigor Thomas,” the man in the fez said, “let’s get you home.”

Woodrow
01-09-2011, 03:11 PM
In Zaraysk, Russia; Boris and Sergei stood vigil at the hospital bed of their friend Georgi. His color was beginning to return. He was talking in an unknown language and occasionally asked in English why everybody was calling him Georgi, his name was Ahmed.

Back someplace in the Desert the unknown distinguished looking doctor was trying to elicit a lucid response from Ahmed. He stared in horror as Ahmed seemed to become translucent and then transparent. Before the doctor's very eyes, Ahmed vanished. It was like he had evaporated and the only sign of Ahmed was an ancient key setting on the ground where Ahmed had just been. Along side the key was what seemed to be a carved stone amulet. shaped like a large oval coin with very odd writing on both sides.

جوري
01-09-2011, 07:25 PM
''I'll need to speak with his next of kin, does he have any living relatives?''
''Ahmed came here a few years ago in a student exchange program, he wanted to attend a semester or two at Cairo university studying engineering (I don't know which branch) however Jasem might as he was in the same university, Ahmed became quickly immersed in the culture and converted, we were all witnesses to his conversion in fact that is how our friendship started. He never spoke much about his past and was often apt at changing the subject and quickly. His sponsoring parents were somewhat of hippies, if there is such a thing in Egypt, Nasar proponents not particularly religious had no children of their own and have taken to housing students from overseas. I think they'd grown very fond of Ahmed and he of them that he tried to renew their faith and they thought him a son. Now if you are looking for someone to make a decision on his behalf then you can tell us, we're practically family.''
'Well, given his current status, we'll have to presume consent for whatever procedures he'll undergo, but as you know family history is very important to completing a clinical picture, however, you've answered my questions, we'll have to treat him as any John Doe''
''what is wrong with him exactly?''
''I don't know, you say, nothing like this has ever happened before?''
''No, nothing like this, I mean sometimes he'd go into this deep trans, I call it screen saver mode.. he seems to be far away, thinking of something else, but it is certainly not unusual, and nothing this bizarre''
''I'll have to call a psych. consult, I am not personally sure what it, could be an acute manic episode, a dissociative fugue, a multiple personality disorder.. ...... I am not a psychiatrist-- so I can't tell, and I have a feeling that this problem will not be fixed over night.. whatever it is, whatever the trigger, it must have always been lurking right beneath the surface, needing the right moment, the right trigger, and it probably has to do with that letter he received....''

Muezzin
01-09-2011, 07:27 PM
In Cairo, Egypt, Jasem gaped at the hospital bed where Ahmed lay. The rest of his friends were talking to the doctor, telling him about Ahmed's past, and muttering about 'screen saver modes'. He didn't know if they had seen him momentarily disappear just minutes ago. He didn't know if they had seen the ancient key and stone amulet which had temporarily flickered into existence while Ahmed was momentarily absent. He didn't know what this meant for his sanity.

In Zarayask, Russia, Boris gasped when Georgi opened his eyes.

In the desert of Afghanistan, Grigori looked at the man in the fez, who had half-carried him to the relative safety of a rocky outcropping. Of the thousand questions swirling in Grigori's mind, he chose to ask, "Have we met before?"

The man in the fez smiled. "Yes and no."

Grigori shook his head. In his mind's eye he saw a hospital room in Cairo. Or Zarayask. Something in his gut told him the room was his. Both of them.

Simultaneously.

"What's happening to me?"

Fez glanced past the rock, then laid a hand on Grigor's shoulder. "This won't be easy to hear."

And despite the bombs exploding in the distance and the pain searing across Grigor's back, he smiled. "Try me."

Fez crouched, rummaging through his jacket pocket. "For starters, there are more than one you."

Grigor wondered if a blast had drowned out some of Fez's words. Grigor managed a hoarse laugh. "Sounded for a minute there like you said there is more than one of me."

Fez didn't smile. "Yes. Unfortunately."

Grigor felt nothing. He did not reply. He closed his eyes. When he opened them, he did not awake into reality. This was not a dream.

Fez pulled a stone out of his jacket. "That's what I'm trying to fix." He set it on the ground. "This crime." Fez placed a hand over the stone and closed his eyes. "I'll bring to justice the evil that split your soul." He uncovered the stone, whose surface was now cracked.

Grigor couldn't believe what his eyes or ears here in the desert, or his mind's eye that showed him Egypt and Russia. "You're saying my soul has been split into three? That I've been split into three?"

"Unfortunately," Fez said, fingers either side of the cracked stone he held before him, "that's exactly what I'm saying. The you that is in Egypt identifies himself as Ahmed. The you in Russia calls himself Georgi. And the you to whom I am talking does not object to being called Grigor Thomas." Fez pulled the stone apart, which broke into three fragments. "Come." He put one in Grigor's hand. "We have a lot of work to do."

The stone fragment in Grigor's hand warmed. The whole world flashed white.

And even when he closed his eyes, Grigor saw only light.

Woodrow
01-09-2011, 09:00 PM
Ahmed looked at the strange stone that was now split into 3 pieces. He knew that he had to trust the stranger in the Red Fez and somehow that was the only way to return to being a whole person. He pondered over the 3 pieces of stone what power did they hold and how could he get them back together into one piece. What is his connection to that stone? It is like he is the stone and the stone is he. But the stone is now shattered, which means he is also shattered. Ahmed being only a small part of whoever he is.

He looked at the strange stone that lay in 3 pieces on his bed side table.

Then he thought if I put the stone together, I will be put back together. Very simple 3 pieces are not much of a puzzle. should be easy enough for even a child to do.

Ahmed rearranged the pieces on the table.

Strange, very Strange. when the pieces are put together, a 4th section vanishes. Ahmed looked up to ask the Stranger what this meant. But the mysterious man in the Red Fez, also vanished when the section of the stone vanished. Who is that stranger and how and why did he mysteriously appear in Ahmed's hospital room?

Ahmed carefully hid the stone fragments in a tear in his mattress. He did not know why, but he knew he could not let anyone know he had those fragments. He wondered, was he also that stranger? How did his mind, soul and body become divided and scattered?

Woodrow
01-10-2011, 01:06 PM
Ahmed's head began to swirl as he began comprehending what is taking place. a gigantic riddle that involved himself, Grigori, Georgi and a mysterious well dressed man in a Red Fez. Included in the riddle are a strange stone, an ancient key and a letter.

Suddenly it hit him. He was not a person divided into 3 parts. He is in close mental communication with 2 other people, Georgi and Gregori. Each of whom must be thinking they are either going mad or existing in 3 places at the same time. As bizarre as it is, this is slowly making sense.

Now to place things in order. It is necessary for all 3 to meet together and come to an understanding as to what is causing this communication between them.----THE STONE
It is not a stone it is some type of communication device, beyond anything previously seen on earth.

The stranger who vanished must be found and his role in this be made known to Ahmed, Georgi and Grigori.

There is something sinister about the ancient key and the letter. Is the key intended to unlock an uncontrolled terror upon the earth or is it the means of capturing and confining an evil force that has already been unleashed.

"Where do I begin?" thought Ahmed. "I can not do this on my own. Who can I trust that will not think I am a madman lost in a world of my hallucinations?" "What is the evil force I am now finding myself in battle with?"

جوري
01-10-2011, 02:04 PM
Ibrahim was a mild mannered doctor but today he was about to lose his cool.

''alright boys, I don't know what sort of game you're playing here or what's going on, but it isn't funny, and you're not going to get away with it.''
The young men were genuinely puzzled with the doctor's sudden outburst and could only imagine what he was ranting about.
''Which one of you hid Ahmed, what kind of game are you playing? he is very sick, do you not understand that? he is very sick and might be a danger to himself and others, I will personally hold you liable for his disappearance against medical clearance''

What do you mean Ahmed is missing? Jasem comes to the waiting area, ''It is true, one minute he was there hooked to IV's the next he's gone

Please don't play innocent with me, you have something to do with his disappearance and if I have any say about it, I'll file charges against the three of you.

Doctor, doctor what could we possible gain smuggling a sick friend out of here?

I don't know but that is what I intend to find out!

if we wanted to smuggle him out of here, why would we bring him to seek medical attention to begin with at the crack of dawn, further still, all three of us are here, so which one of us smuggled him and where do you suppose we hid him?

Ibrahim storms out of the waiting area

Jasem put his head in his hands..

Ali, what are we going to do now? how are we going to begin looking for him?

Muhaba
01-11-2011, 12:32 PM
I think this part comes before they discover he disappeared. maybe someone can rearrange.

Waking up from a strange no-doubt sedative induced dream, he looked about the hospital room he was in. It was now night time and moonlight flowed into the room through the large window. He searched his mattress for the stone but it was not there. Nor was there a tear anywhere in the mattress. It was obvious that nonsense was all a dream. Sitting up he wondered if these fools would keep him in this hospital room forever, talking nonsense about delusions and medications and drugs. Not if he could help it, he thought, throwing his legs over the edge of the bed and getting up, a bit shakily because of all the medications that had been injected into him in the past 24 hours or so.

He had to get out of here and fast or they might kill him, he thought as he strode toward the window, happy that noone entered the room unlike last time. Pushing the window open, a cold desert wind entered the room, chilling his skin, but refreshing him at the same time. Looking down, he saw that he was on the third floor of the hospital. The drop was too deep, so he couldn't jump, or he might break his neck. But a tree was nearby, and one of the branches ran right infront of the window. Reaching out, he grabbed the branch, hoping it was strong enough and didn't break with his weight. Hanging onto it, he managed to climb out of the window and move slowly toward the tree using his hands. He was grateful for his army survival training, which came handy at times such as these. Those were the only good things from his bitter past he remembered. Speaking of which, what was that they said about him being devoutly religious? He didn't remember ever going to church, not even on sundays.

Climbing down the tree as well as a cat, he let himself drop from the branch closest to the ground, and ran as fast as he could on shaky legs through the hospital grounds, toward the fence in the distance. Climbing over the fence, he jumped onto the other side. The night was still young and he could see people walking about through the streets, not too far, although this area nearest the hospital was secluded. Where to go, he asked himself silently. He walked briskly down the dark road toward where there were more people, and joined some people bustling through the streets, walking with them until he came to the crowded market area.

There seemed to be many tourists here and the place was very crowded so noone would spot him, but he didn't know who he felt the need to be hiding from as he didn't think the men in the hospital would be looking for him yet. He didn't think they kept such strict guard. Still he felt danger looming overhead and the need to get away without being seen was extremely strong. Maybe they did keep such strict watch over him that they would know he was missing only minutes after he escaped. He saw every stranger as an enemy now.

Moving quickly, he walked through the market place until he came to a large tent. "Read your Fortune Here" said a sign on the entrance. He remembered a fortune-teller telling him something about a building in the desert. Entering the tent, he saw a woman wearing a veil standing behind a table with a small chrystal ball infront of her, and wondered if she was the same person. He didn't know how she had gotten to telling him his future last time as he didn't go to fortune-tellers. Something at the back of his mind told him there was something wrong with it, but he didn't know what or why. Nor did he remember anything from his recent past except for bits here and there. A huge part of his memory seemed to be missing, past the time he was taken to the hospital by his "saviors".

Seeing him, the fortune-teller touched the chrystal ball and it glowed blue, the light shining off it. An electronic trick no doubt, he thought, as he didn't believe in magic.

"Oh, you again." she said softly as he approached her.

"Why didn't you tell me people would try to murder me?" he inquired angrily. If she could read people's future that was what she should've told him last time.

She looked down into the ball, then said, "Something's i cannot see." Staring at him deeply for a moment, she added, "it is the will, it is cursed, you must get rid of it." She was speaking nonsense again, about cursed wills and fortunes and ancient buildings, he thought bitterly. Didn't she have anything better to tell people?

"I don't have the will with me," he said. He took a quick glance around the room, as if his mind was telling him to find some place to hide. It was a strange feeling that he had grown to trust. During his time in the army, it had saved his back quite a few times, although the night someone tried to drown him, it had failed him. Why? the question loomed in his mind.

Looking back at her, he said, "And I can't get it, as there are people after me, trying to kill me. I need some place to hide, you must help me. " Why he was willing to trust her was a mystery to him.

"Go under the table." she said quickly, giving the tent's entrance a quick glance. "There is a secret door in the ground. Go in there and wait for me. Do not come out until I tell you to." she motioned him toward the table. "Hurry" she said in a hushed tone. Why was she acting this way, as if sensing danger. Did she sense the same danger as him? Was the feeling mutual? he wondered. No time to ask questions, he did as she said, going beneath the tablecloth.
Bending down, he searched the ground for the secret entrance, until he found it, the floor's coloring being slightly different there, and a crack separating the entrance from the rest of the ground. He removed the secret door to reveal a small staircase. Going down onto the top landing, he closed the door behind him.

He climbed down the staircase and entered a large dimly-lit room. On one side of the room was a small bed and on the other was a small kitchenette with a gas stove and a few dishes. Near the bed lay a small chest and a doorway was in the wall opposite, leading into a hall and bathroom. This must be the fortune-teller's residence, he assumed. Sitting on the bed, he waited for her.

After what seemed like hours, the fortune-teller came down. As she entered the room, he felt there was something wrong about this. The two of them shouldn't be in the room alone, a meek voice told him. But he didn't know why that was so. He had been alone with women before. Even had girlfriends, so why was it wrong to be alone with this woman?

Taking a deep breath, the veiled woman said, "I will tell you something about your past that you are unaware of. Your great-uncle came to this part of the world years ago. He was an explorer and during his travels, he met someone who gave him a key and map."

Ahmed stared at her as if she had lost her mind, or was this a part of her game? All he knew about his great-uncle was that he hated leaving the house. He had never told him where he had gotten the ancient key, though.

"The man told your great-uncle about an ancient building in the desert, but your great-uncle didn't pay heed. Overtime, he lost the map, but it is somewhere in his estate. The key he kept safe because he thought it would be worth money as it was very ancient."

"How do you know all this?" Ahmed inquired.

"It is my cousin, he works for your great-uncle. He told me about it." she said quickly.

Well, Ahmed thought, that part was true. His great-uncle had an Egyptian helping hand, Abu Isaih. "Go on," Ahmed said.

"My cousin met your great uncle on one of his travels and your great-uncle told him about the will and key. Many years later, during my cousin's research, he discovered that there really existed such a building, in the deserts of Oman. However it's whereabouts were forever lost and it was impossible to discover it as the place was infested with snakes. The building belonged to the Irim civilization and it was thought to contain artifacts worth many millions. The only way to find the building was with the map but the map was lost. It is my cousin's assumption that the map your great-uncle received is the same map, although we don't know for sure. In the hopes of getting the map, my cousin volunteered to work for your great-uncle in return for residence while studying Archeology in the university. In the meantime, he would try to search for the missing map while your great-uncle was away on his travels. However, soon after, your uncle developed a penchant for staying at home for weeks on end, sometimes not leaving his estate for several months. And to my cousin's greatest dismay, everytime he did, he insisted my cousin, Abu Isaih, go with him. And so it became difficult for Abu Isaih to search the estate in his presence. Therefore, for some time now, my cousin has been poisoning your uncle by adding mercury to his food so he might die. Which is what caused your uncle's mysterious illness."

Ahmed couldn't believe what he was hearing. His great-uncle's illness was due to metal poisoning. Curse the inept hospital system for not discovering this, he thought angrily. He wanted to punch someone on the face for not telling him before. But now the information was useless, as his ailing great uncle had passed away just two weeks ago. Ahmed wanted to cry. His dear old but obnoxious great uncle, who had been like a father to him for many years, murdered ruthlessly by someone he had tried to help.

"However," the woman went on, "to my cousin's further dismay, the estate wasn't left to him as he had hoped, but passed on to you, his only living relative. and now my fortune-blinded cousin wants to kill you so that he can claim the estate. This is all i can tell you, Ahmed. Knowing more will only harm you. But you must get away from this place before your enemies find you." She started to move toward the staircase. "You can stay here tonight. i will stay with friends." She added, then climbed the stairs. Before exiting the secret entrance, she turned around and said, "Oh and Ahmed, you are running away from the wrong people. The four men in the hospital are your friends. your real enemies are men on the street whom you don't even know. Farewell." then she was gone, closing the secret door behind her.

He stared up after her. how did she know so much? how did she know about the men in the hospital? did word spread this fast in this area? lying down on the bed, he closed his eyes. he needed to rest. it had been a long day.

Woodrow
01-12-2011, 12:49 AM
After what seemed like an eternal sleep Ahmed woke in what appeared to be a Hospital operating room. He tried to get up and found his arms and legs were restrained with straps to the bed. He noticed he was draped with a sheet and seemed to be wearing a surgical gown. He could hear people talking just outside his view. He could partially understand them and realized they were speaking in Hebrew.

Making out the few Hebrew words he understood he realized one of the speakers was a Neuro-surgeon preparing to operate on him and the other was a Mossad agent wanting to arrest him as a spy and a possible terrorist.

Thoughts flashed through his mind. What was he doing in an Israeli Hospital and why was he going to be operated on?

Suddenly he felt something warm in his hand and feeling the shape he realized it was this:

the vanished piece of the stone.

The stone grew warm in his hand and his eyes began closing. After what seemed like a brief moment he woke up to the sound of the fortune teller's voice. "Wake up, breakfast is ready."

Muhaba
01-14-2011, 12:54 PM
I already wrote the following part so i will post it anyway. what i do is that i copy what others have written to notepad (since i don't have internet at home), take it home and read it there, then write the next part. that is why my part may not fit with what the others wrote, but i guess we can try to fix it up later in the revision stage.

This part contaions some background information which will let us know more about our character.

Meanwhile, back in the secret room:

Ahmed wondered whether he had just landed in a trap? was the fortune-teller really trustible or was she one of them? she did say his great uncle's murderer was her cousin, so how did he know she wasn't working for him? he had no way to find out and there didn't seem to be anything he could do. he had clearly landed in a hotspot and he wondered what he had done to cause this to happen to him? Surely it must have to do with his terrible past and his many wrong-doings.

Closing his eyes, he recalled his bitter past. His memory seemed to have come back and he could remember the recent events as well as his more distant past from the time before he converted. There were parts he remembered very clearly, parts that haunted him and he assumed would forever haunt him, parts that he wished he could bury somewhere and they would never resurface. He recalled being abandoned by his parents at the tender age of 7 because he had left his 4 year old sister in the snow and she had died of cold. It hadn't been his fault altoghether. They had been playing in the knee-deep snow and he had left her there, assuming she would return home by herself, but she never did. When their parents went looking for her, they found her dead. and so his parents blamed him for her death and his mother hated looking at him, thus abandoning him within the next month. and so for the next three years he stayed in a foster home until finally at age 10 his great uncle had taken him to live with him. He'd lived there for the next five years, until he ran away at the age of 15. He had been a difficult child who hated discipline and wanted to do as he wished and didn't want to be obligated to anyone else. With nowhere else to go and with the hope of getting glory, he joined the army. However, after two years in the army he grew tired of it and wanted out. Opportunity came his way when he was struck on the head during practice and blacked out for several hours. The black outs continued for a few weeks and he used them as an excuse to deem himself unfit for duty. He would fake blackouts often and got his doctor to write a report that he was permanently disabled and unfit for any work. During one session, his doctor hinted that if his condition had been real, he could get a huge amount of money from the army and using that hint, he hired a lawyer and was able to receive a large lumpsum of money damages as well as a regular pension as compensation since he was regarded permanently disabled. His doctor received a share of the money for the fake reports they wrote. He was quite able to use deception to get his way in life, although he didn't consider this complete deception, since his condition was triggered by the army accident and he got the blackouts occasionally, although not as often as he faked. However, the truth was that he had had these blackouts before, his first attack having come after his sister's funeral. He had been sad and regretful, considering himself responsible for her death and the night she was buried, he had blacked out, not coming to consciousness until several hours later. He assumed it had been the cause of an unsuccessful attempt to repress the gruesome memory.

After he left the army, he received a grant to go to college based on his handicapped condition and thus became a journalist. Since he was financially well-off and received a regular monthly pension, he joined an AFP newsservice as a freelance journalist, going to various countries and trying to get stories that he might sell to the News Service.

As he recalled his past, he started to understand the meaning of some of his recent bizarre dreams. his soul being divided into many parts probably had to do with the different lifestyles he had held; his childhood, his time in the army, his life after leaving the army but before he converted, which was a life of deception and self-serving actions even though he didn't do anyone major harm, and the life after he converted. These were all very different lifestyles and seemingly different personalities. His recollections of himself in two places at the same time probably had to do with memories that were stored in his brain, which he probably remembered recurrently because of the near-drowning or because of the shock of the event or because of sedatives or maybe all of them.

He also remembered some of the names from his recent dreams, although he had yet to figure out who was the man in the red fez was. He wondered if he was his great uncle's archiac? or had his great-uncle ever worn a red fez in his youth? he didn't know as he had known his great uncle only for 5 short years, most of which he had spent at the bording school, being home only on weekends and during the summer.

Boris and Sergei had been his seniors in the army. Georgi wasn't a man but a Greek Gypsy woman he had had a short relationship with in Romania. The woman had been a bit mysterious who kept her past a secret, always thwarting attempts from him to figure out who she really was, but he assumed that was how all the Gypies were. It was one thing that drew him to her. At some point he had grown bored with her and told her he was leaving. She had begged him to marry her, saying that if he stuck by her, he would be safe otherwise, something bad might happen to him. He assumed that was just her way of trying to convince him and so didn't think much about her utterances. and so he left her, promising to see her on his return. But she had strangely said, Grigor, i am afraid you will never return this way. He wondered if she had really known that or if she simply assumed because that was the way men were, making promises they never intended to keep? At the time he had planned to return to Romania but didn't plan to see her again.

But when he came to Egypt, things changed. He was introduced to a different culture, one of celibacy and purity, of sincerity and hospitilaty, although celibacy wasn't required, it was the way until one married. Several of his friends were now married while others were engaged to be married soon, however there was no such thing as relations before marriage, at least in the muslim community. He had been drawn to this way of life, loving all the other aspects of their lifestyle. He especially loved their intense brotherliness and so within a year of coming here, he had converted. He had met several great friends, including the four who had become friends for life, Jasem, Ali, Abu Hasan, and Gamal. Jasem and Ali were studying Islamic Religion in the university and with their encouragement, Ahmed too joined the University. For 6 years he studied the course non-stop, getting his masters' degree just 6 months ago.

He had presumed this place as his home, never thinking of leaving. He planned to settle down soon with some Eygptian woman, never looking back at his old life or the women he had left behind. He never thought that anything would come his way to disturb his well-planned life.

And now he wondered which of his past wrong-doings was it that had caused such demons to be unleashed at him. He could throw away the will and disclaim RedRose manor, and hope that his greed-blinded enemies would leave him alone, but he wasn't a coward to give up something that was rightfully his. he never planned to go there or live there, but it was his heritage and he intended to make it his own, even if it meant fighting to death.

His fatigued eyes closed and he went into a dark snooze, dreaming of wild things happening. a little while later, he heard scraping sounds. Waking up, he realized that someone was opening the entrance to the secret room. He looked about the room and wondered if there was any place to hide. Jumping off the bed, he got ready to attack.

"It's me," said a female voice. The voice had a remarkable familiarity. He recognized it now as being the fortune-teller's voice, however, he felt he knew that voice from some place else, some time in his distant past. But who? he couldn't put his finger on it.

She came down after a moment. "i came to let you know that this is your chance to escape." she said. "the city is asleep and the streets are vacant, so you can go out without being spotted. Get a taxi and go out of town."

"why should i trust you," he inquired.

"look Ahmed, if i was one of the enemies, your enemies would be here and not me."
she had a point, but he wondered if they might be waiting for him outside. if maybe she didn't want to disclose her secret room.

She sighed and he wondered if she had read his mind. "Look Ahmed, please, you must trust me. you must go out of here and get away. this is your only chance. you can't hide here forever, they will find you."

he thought she was right. if she was sincere, then this might be his last chance. For allhe knew, they might not know that he had left the hospital. However tomorrow word would spread that he wasn't in the hospital and then his enemies would be looking for him, no doubt. Nodding, he started to go up the stairs. but when he got out of the tent, with her behind him, he saw that there was a taxi on the edge of the road, and four men waiting by it.

he stopped cold. had she tricked him? why hadn't she told him someone was waiting for him. Although the four were the same from the hospital, he couldn't be sure whether they were enemies or friends. she said they were his friends but he didn't recognize even one of them.

"Ahmed, it is i,Jasem." strangely, his voice was familiar. yes that was Jasem, Ahmed thought , a man who had been his friend for over 7 years now. he didn't think that this man he had known for so long would double-cross him now. walking forward, Ahmed said, "Jasem, what is going on."

"We don't know," Ali said. "but we need to get you out of here. Get in the taxi fast." Ahmed did as he was told, because he recognized the men's voices although strangely their faces weren't in his memory. he quickly entered the back of the taxi while Abu Hasan and Gamal sat on either side, he assumed to block him from view. Ali and Jasem entered the front passenger seat.

As the driver drove off, Ahmed watched the fortune teller enter the tent, and for a second in his mind he saw a different woman. but that image disappeared too soon for him to figure out who it was and what it had to do with this woman.

"please drive slowly here," Ali told the taxi driver as they drove through the silent streets of the city. "It is very early. we don't want to disturb the residents. Once we are on the highway, you can go faster."

And so the driver did as he was told. Once they left the vicinities of the city, he drove at over 160 Kilometers, the car's alarm beeping to let them know they were driving too fast. "Are you trying to kill me," Ahmed couldn't help blurting. "will you slow down a bit."

"I am only trying to get you to the airport for your flight. Jasem said you need to get there before sunrise. it is a great distance, if you don't want to miss your flight."

Ahmed wondered if Jasem had lied to the taxi driver to keep him from knowing the truth or whether they had reserved a flight for him? As they drove, Ahmed wondered about the events that had just taken place. why had the fortune-teller tried to save his life? what had she to gain by it? just then he recalled that he hadn't gotten the will. whispering to Abu Hasan his concern, Abu Hasan said, "the madame gave it to us along with the key and letter. she said you had given it to her to keep safe." Ahmed stared at Abu Hasan. What? how had the fortune teller get the will? how had she known where he had kept it? somethig mysterious was going on and he didn't think there would be any way to find out.

Throughout the way, Ahmed slept, his head resting on Gamal's shoulder. He had had some stressful time and hadn't been able to sleep peacefully, and now he was catching up on his sleep. in the back of his head, there were questions that he needed answers to. They were coming to life as he slept. when he awoke, he hoped he could get answers from his four friends. Something hadn't been done right. Why had his friends lied to the doctor? they had found him nearly dead from drowning, someone had seen a man leave his home, obviously someone had tried to murder him, but they had deliberately kept that a secret from the doctor. Did they really think his drowning was the result of his blackouts? had they been trying to save him from a psychiatric diagnosis? Or would including forensic doctors and the police have complicated things? he needed to know the answers to these questions and he hoped the others would have them.

But when he got off the taxi, he realized he was really at the airport. "Your plane leaves in 1/2 hour. you must board fast." Gamal said "Abu Hasan has a friend in the airport and he has kept your seat for you. here is your passport and ticket. Stay safe. call us when you get there."

And so, Ahmed parted with his four friends, on his way to his next destination, to try to claim his inheritance, get his great-uncle Borsilav's murderer arrested, and decide what to do about the information about the ancient building he had received from the fortune-teller. He would get answers to his questions through email, he hoped.

Muhaba
09-21-2011, 01:14 PM
seems this thread is forgotten. i guess i'll revive it. writing it will be great exercise. readers can give ideas where the story should go.

after being on the plane for a while, Ahmed started to feel jittery. something wasn't right, but he didn't know what. was somethin wrong about to happen. looking at the map in front, he saw that the plane was heading the right way, but he couldn't shake off the feeling. so he took out his compass and was shocked to see that the plane was headed the in the wrong direction. it wasn't at all going in the direction being shown on the map.what was happening? why was the map lying? it took a moment for him to realize that the plane was being hijacked. obviously his enemies were on to him. if they took him where they wanted, he'd be dead. looking out the window, he saw that he was somewhere over a mountain range. a moment's thinking and he had his mind made up. getting up, he went to the back of the plane and grabbed the parachute. then opening the emergency window, he jumped of the plane. at times like these he was glad for his army training.

what happens next?

Muhaba
12-22-2011, 08:43 AM
it is my hope that some talented members of this site will join in and continue this beautiful story. for now, here's my next addition. (By the way, i haven't researched police procedures at present, etc so if there are any mistakes, please forgive and correct them. thanks)

As he landed on the cold white snow, his mind travelled to another winter day - He and his sister were playing out in the snow. And with that memory, his mind blacked out.

When he awoke, he was lying on a mat in a warm room with a fire lit at the fireplace. Looking around, he saw that some people were seated at tables in one side of the room and another part of the room had a reception desk. And he realized that he was probably in an inn. Raising himself off the floor and sitting up, Ahmad tried to remember what had happened and where he was.

“He’s alive,” said a man coming into the room from a door behind the reception desk. “Hello stranger,” the man continued in a strange accent, approaching him. “what brings you to this place? We found you fainted at the bottom of the mountain. What is your story.”

“I was on a training mission.” Ahmad replied. “but I made a mistake and landed in the wrong place.”

“piloting lessons?” the man asked. Ahmad assumed the man had found the parachute which must have landed not too far from him.

“Yes,” Ahmad said, feeling that would be safer than saying that he’d been training for the air force or telling him his real story.

“You can stay here,” the man said. “we have many English visitors in this part of the country, though not at this time of year.”

Ahmad nodded, standing up. “thank you. I will need some rest and food, but I will be on my way soon as I must report to my instructor.”

The man, whom Ahmad learned was the owner of the inn, showed him a room and a restaurant in an adjoining building. “Stay as long as you want. Visitors are always welcome,” he said.

Ahmad gave him a $100 bill as payment for the room which the man took quickly. Although Ahmad knew that amount was most likely more than the cost of the room but he needed to win the man’s good side, especially since he’d landed in the country illegally without a visa. Then he headed to the restaurant to get something to eat.

After spending several days at the inn and sorting out his situation, he took a flight back to his home country. Because Abu Isaiah didn’t know when or from where he would be entering the country, Ahmad hoped he would easily be able to enter the country and take care of the matter before Abu Isaiah learned of his arrival.

Unfortunately, no sooner had he entered the airport, he was arrested, two men grabbing him and starting to place handcuffs on his hands.

“What’s happening here?” Ahmad yelled, trying to stop the cops.

“You can cooperate or we will press more charges against you which will make your case worse,” one of the officers told him.

“at least tell me what I’m being arrested for.”

“Go ahead. Play it innocent.” The other officer said, leading him outside the building and into a police car.

Ahmad realized he was in trouble now for sure and this time there was no escape. He assumed these were men working for Abu Isaiah and his end was here soon. But to his good fortune, he was taken to the police station. At least he hadn’t been taken to some underground warehouse and killed. Soon he would be able to convince the authorities that this was all a mistake and he was innocent, he thought.

At the police station he was shocked when he was informed of his crime: that he had murdered a Greek Gypsy woman in Egypt and then fled the country to some unknown destination.

“I didn’t.” Was all Ahmad could say. His mouth had gotten totally dry from the awful allegation and his mind became dizzy as he tried to sort things out. It was obvious he’d been framed. “I don’t even know anyone Greek there,” he finally said.

“She was your former girlfriend,” the officer said. “She worked at the festival at night while studying Art at the University. You struck her on the head and she’s been in a coma since. Doctors are unaware if she’ll live.”

Ahmad’s eyes widened as he realized who the mysterious fortune-teller was.

“Ring a bell?” The officer said.

“I had seen a fortune-teller there and I suppose she’s the same woman but I never saw her face in Egypt and didn’t know who she was.” Ahmad replied. “And I didn’t kill her. When I left Egypt she was alive. Someone else must have done it.”

“you were the last person she was seen with. You’d spent the night in her place. Furthermore, doctors’ reports state that she was hit on the head several hours before Egypt. It’s obvious that you struck her, and when she fainted, took a taxi to the capital and fled the country. All clues point at you and there are witnesses testifying to when you left the place, including the taxi driver who drove you to the capital.”

Ahmad wondered whether the doctors’ reports were true or had been made up. It was easy to do that sort of thing in Egypt.

“I need to make a phone call.” He said. “And I need a lawyer.”

To be continued.
What will happen next? Will Ahmad be able to prove his innocence? And what will become of the fortune-teller? Will she die or will she survive and be able to testify to the truth?

Muhaba
08-13-2013, 09:13 PM
This story was such a wonderful piece. It's sad to leave it incomplete. I'll write the next part. Feel free to join in with anything, even a few lines. I'm sure someone has ideas to move this piece forward.
You don't have to add to the plot. Write something about the setting, the characters, even the law and police procedures. I'm sure each of the writers have something valuable to add.

Ahmad sat in the jail cell waiting for his trial. And tried to make sense of everything. What was happening? Would he be able to prove his innocence? So far the fortune teller was still in coma. He hoped she'd come through though he wondered whether doctors there would let that happen. Surely Abu Isaiah didn't want his cousin dead? But if it served his aims, then he might do anything. How far would he go?

He opened the last package from his great uncle and looked through the contents again. The map was strange and didn't make any sense to Ahmad. The key was a dusty but not rusted. If it was as old as the fortune-teller claimed, then it was strange that it was still in such good condition. Ahmad rubbed it with a cloth and gasped. It glistened silver where he rubbed. The key was obviously made of silver. Placing it back in the tiny box it came in, Ahmad picked up the other contents of the package and found a letter from his uncle among the papers of the will.

Reading the letter made him sad all over. His uncle spoke of his worsening condition. "I am ill," it said, "and don't think I have long to live. You are a son to me that I never had. therefore, i'm leaving the entire estate to you.
The estate's caretaker is Abu Isaiah. Be careful of him. he's strange and mysterious and is always poking around in the library. I don't know what he's doing but it seems he's looking for something. I'm afraid it is the map and key. I do not know what they are for but if he's so eager to fid them, then they must be worthy.
So don't let on that you have them. Speaking of the library, there is a black leather diary there with some information about your family, if you're interested in learning anything. But I must say, it will only make you sad as will my death i'm sure, though it has been so long that I haven't seen you."

and then the letter went on and on about various things. There were a total of 7 pages there, all handwritten in the perfect scribble of his great uncle's. By the time Ahmad was finished with it, his mind was a swamp, swarming with thoughts and questions. What secrets did the leather diary contain? What information was there about his family that he didn't know?

Muhaba
08-13-2013, 09:25 PM
A phone call interrupted Ahmad's sleep. He had no idea he had dozed off. Jumping up, he saw that a guard stood at the entrance.

"one of your friends from Egypt wants to talk to you."

Ahmad followed him, taking his package with him. No way was he leaving it here where someone might steal it. Entering the phone booth, he wondered whether it was one of his friends calling him or someone else.

"Hello," he said.
"Ahmad, it is Gamal, how have you been. We heard the worst news. is it true?" Gamal spoke quickly without even a pause for breath.
Ahmad sighed. "i'm afraid. what happened to the fortune teller?"
"Someone hit her on the head after we left for the airport. Seems they learned of her part in your escape. It happened while we were still on the road." Gamal said. "Abu... has hired a lawyer to represent you here. We can only hope she doesn't die. If she lives she can witness for you. Otherwise, it may be difficult to prove your innocence. especially since Abu Isaiah has everything worked out to his advantage."

Ahmad shook his head. Maybe the fortune teller had been right. Maybe the map and key were cursed and it would be better for him to give them up. But that wasn't Ahmad's way of doing things. Once challenged, he fought to the end. He never gave up before, no matter what life had thrown at him; surviving was his game. There was no way he wold give up now.

"keep me updated," Ahmad said. "while I try and get this mess sorted out." Then he hung up.

Muhaba
08-13-2013, 09:34 PM
Ahmad met with the lawyer the state had appointed for his case the next day. He told him everything that had happened, the will and map and key he'd received. The events in Egypt, his conversation with the fortune-teller and what she'd told him about Abu Isaiah, how Abu Iasiah had been poisoning his great uncle, the hijacking of the plane, etc etc.

He learned that some people were testifying against him, that he was mentally unstable, that there had been no hijacking - the plane was going in the right direction. he'd simply taken the wrong plane, etc. etc.

Ahmad realized that his past, his seizures, his military history all didn't help his case. They made the opponents seem right.
And Ahmad wondered if it might be true. What if he was imagining a lot of things? What proof did he have that what he said was true? Could it be that he'd hit the fortune-teller before he left Egypt? His friends had been there with him when he boarded the taxi. Surely they'd seen that the fortune-teller was alright. But what if he'd struck her before that in a fit that he didn't remember while she was alone with him? What if the effect of the blow had come after he'd left? What if she'd fallen after his taxi sped away? Effects of head injuries could show later and be fatal.

By the time his meeting with his lawyer ended, Ahmad was wondering his sanity.

Muhaba
08-14-2013, 06:42 AM
Important plot twist. One of the men in Ahmad's group (Ahmad's four friends) is a double-crosser. That is how the opponents learn of everything. The fact that this man is so cunning and careful not to let anyone learn his part in the betrayal makes it ever more difficult. He's always showing himself to care about Ahmad's situation and in doing so he manages to gt all the information he needs! He's always one step ahead of the others because gets all the inside information while they don't know the truth about him. Note that some questions about him have to be answered: Was he always on the opposite side, doing his part of spying on Ahmad? or did he change sides at some point in time due to some reason, such as greed for money?

Which of the four friends is it? I haven't decided yet. It may be the one who apparently "saw" someone running from Ahmad's house in Egypt. Was he the one who tried to drown Ahmad? Or was he an accomplice who played his part in letting the infiltrator do his part. Did he intend to let Ahmad die that day or was he planning to simply get him out of the way by putting him in the hospital while others searched Ahmad's house for the map? Also, this may explain why Ahmad's medical case wasn't treated properly. He was being treated as a mental person instead of a crime victim. Forensic doctors weren't called in his case. Even the doctor seemed to be one of the enemies.

Muhaba
08-14-2013, 07:42 PM
As he waited for his trial, he was given the good news that the fortune-teller had come out of coma. Unfortunately, she had amnesia so couldn't tell anyone who had hit her. Ahmad seemed to be going backwards. He spoke to his lawyer about getting out on bail. unfortunately, his mental condition wasn't trusted, he learned. there was the possibility of transferring him to the mental ward. Additionally, he risked losing control of the estate he'd just inherited. Seemed like everything was going in favor of Abu Isaiah. "The caretaker of the estate will get control of the estate in case it is proven you are mentally unfit," he was told.

HOW DOES AHMAD GET OUT OF ALL THIS? WHAT HAPPENS NEXT? WILL SOMETHING ELSE HAPPEN TO HINDER HIS ESCAPE TO FREEDOM, HIS STRUGGLE TO PROVE HIS INNOCENCE AND SANITY?

Muhaba
08-15-2013, 09:48 PM
Over the next few days, Ahmad spoke to advisors to figure out how to proceed with his case. Ahmad told him it was absolutely necessary to prove that he was not insane.

His advisors told him he was between a rock and a hard place. If he proved that he wasn't insane, then he definitely faced a much harder sentence since it would be hard to prove his innocence in the case. if he was determined mentally ill, he'd at least get out of jail but be stuck in a mental hospital. and Abu Isaiah would get control of his estate, unless he had someone else who could do that. Ahmad needed to speak to his lawyer immediately. he needed some input. where was the lawyer?

Muhaba
08-25-2013, 06:57 PM
Here are a few ideas for conflict:

As time passes, Ahmad becomes suspicious of his Egyptian friends. It's obvious that someone is an informant, letting his enemies in on everything. Ahmad doesn't know who or how many are double-crossers but he stops trusting them all. Meanwhile Gamal tries to get Ahmad out on bail. He takes a trip to Ahmad's city to get that done. In the meantime, Ahmad's enemies in Egypt try to get him extradited to Egypt for attempted murder.

Also, the fortune teller has gained consciousness but has amnesia so can't testify.

Muhammad
09-02-2013, 06:46 AM
Ahmed gazed at the rosy sky as the sun began to disappear behind the dark mountains. Only now did he truly appreciate the blessing of being able to wonder at Allah's creation, after being in a dark jail cell for what seemed like years. A feeling of warmth and comfort swept over him as he remembered that evening in the quaint, old, Egyptian inn, where he had laughed together with his dearest friends.

He was standing by the window in the same resort he had awoken in some time ago, after he had parachuted from the aeroplane and blacked out. Gamal was behind him, preparing the prayer mats for the evening prayer.

'Gamal, I'm so grateful you managed to bail me out. I was beginning to lose all hope in there,' said Ahmed, turning from the window.

'Alhamdulillah. I'm so glad to see you again, Ahmed,' smiled Gamal.

There was a moment of silence.

'Ahmed, I know you've been through a lot lately, and I know you feel you can't trust anyone, even your closest friends,' began Gamal. 'And you were right to be suspicious, because we discovered Abu Hasan has been betraying us.'

Ahmed looked shocked.

'Yes. I overheard some suspicious phone calls, and we had noticed he had been behaving strangely. None of us had known him for very long, so we began doubting him. When we finally confronted him, he ran away without a trace.'

Gamal looked Ahmed in the eyes.

'Ahmed, you've known the rest of us for several years. Jasem and Ali are very good people. We all care about you and would never think of trying to harm you. Please, don't let Abu Hasan's betrayal cause you to lose trust for all of us.'

Ahmed didn't know what to say. Inside, he felt confused and scared. At the same time, he wanted to believe Gamal. He could only nod his head and smile, then it was time to pray. Somehow, standing side by side in prayer in front of Allah re-ignited the bond of brotherhood between them, and Ahmed felt a huge burden lift off his shoulders. How he had missed his friends, and how glad he was that he had someone with him in this desolate place.

They went to the adjacent restaurant to have something to eat. Ahmed hadn't had a good meal in months, but despite this, he didn't really enjoy his meal. His mind was racing frantically. He couldn't stop thinking about Abu Hasan's deceit. It was true that he was the person they knew least well and if anyone were to turn against him, Abu Hasan was the most likely. But when, why, how...? It didn't make any sense. He thought back to the series of events in Egypt prior to his flight. Then something occurred to him.

'Gamal, if Abu Hasan was after the key and the will and the map, why did he allow them to be returned to me before my flight?'

'We don't really know what he was after, Ahmed. Exactly what his role was in all this isn't clear. We just know he was passing on information to an unknown party. Eat, Ahmed, you've hardly touched your food.'

Ahmed did his best to eat but he had no appetite. His mind was still a tangled web of thoughts getting deeper. The map hadn't made any sense to him at all. Maybe there was another piece of it? Maybe it needed decoding. That must be why these items had not been taken from him. Maybe they were keeping him in jail because they needed him to decipher what they were unable to. His great-uncle must have left behind particular clues that only Ahmed could unravel. The letters... he must read them again. And the stone... had that just been a dream, or was that a part of the puzzle too? What if Abu Hasan ran away with it?

Later that evening, Ahmed and Gamal were sitting by the fireplace away from the other guests. Ahmed was going through the items in the package from his great-uncle, and in his hands were the plane tickets. Strangely, there were two of them. He also realised that there were only a few days left for the assigned date of the flights. He mentioned this to Gamal who reminded him that he was on bail and failure to appear at the courts could result in serious consequences. But Ahmed considered how unlikely it was that he would be proven innocent. He must take this opportunity to get away before he was imprisoned for good. But how could he catch a flight when he was a suspect for a crime? There would be police at the airport looking out for him like before. There must be a way. He mentioned his thoughts to Gamal, who thought he was insane to skip bail. But eventually even he could see that there was no other way. Ahmed stood very little chance of sorting out this mess if he ended up in prison. He might even be killed. Gamal suggested finding another airport. The mountain range bordered a neighbouring country, so if they could get to the other side, they would be able to find a suitable airport. But how?

'Pardon me,' came an old voice. The two of them jumped in surprise. It was the owner of the inn who had come over to them. 'It's almost midnight. We will be extinguishing all fires in the lounge area soon.'

'Thank you, we were just leaving,' said Gamal.

That night, Ahmed tossed and turned as he tried to think of a way to get out of the country he was in. He couldn't get any sleep whatsoever. Some time in the early hours of the morning, he could hear noises outside. He crept to the window and saw that supplies were being unloaded off a truck and carried into the restaurant building. Ahmed tried to read the words on the side of the truck but it was too dark and the writing was too small. Ahmed rushed to wake up Gamal and asked him to try and read it.

'I can only read one bit. It says... it's.... it's the name of the neighbouring country!' cried Gamal. 'Ahmed! We've found our way out of here!'

Muhaba
09-03-2013, 07:17 PM
Ahmad thought hard about running away. He knew that was a dangerous thing to do but he also knew that it was likely he would be extradited to Egypt and then he'd never get justice. And finally he decided the right thing would be to get away. Gamal learned from the men at the inn that the truck was to leave in the early hours of the morning, around dawn. They'd pass the border while it was still dark.
"We'll go inside the back and hide amongst the cartons," he said. He made it sound so simple Ahmad wondered if he'd done this before. And so the plan was set. While everyone else slept, they crept out of the inn and into the truck. They took a few bottles of water with them. "Hopefully, we'll get to a nearby town in a few hours," Gamal said.

Before long, the trucks started moving. To freedom, Ahmad thought. He hoped this plan wouldn't backfire because he was tired of the turmoil. His life had turned upside down and he didn't know how to straighten it. Whatever he did made him go 360 degrees around.

The trucks stopped on the border for what seemed like hours while officers checked around. Throughout that time, Ahmad's fear skyrocketed and he felt nauseated from the anxiety. Several times he heard voices near their truck and he was sure they'd get caught. But finally, just when Ahmad was becoming hopeless, the trucks started moving again.

Muhammad
09-03-2013, 08:22 PM
Ahmed dozed off into a deep sleep despite the bumpy ride, the constant jerking and the roaring engine of the truck, as he had not slept well for some time. All the events of this strange episode in his life returned to him in the form of a muddled dream. He was running through the marketplaces of Egypt, running from doctors and nurses trying to restrain him, running even from his friends whom he thought he could trust. He was holding the items in the package: the silver key, the letter, the will, the map and the plane tickets. He was back in the inn made of solid stone. The man in the red fez was talking to him. What was he saying? Something about the stone. The stone was shining so brightly that it blinded his eyes. There was heat all around him. Something was wrong.

Ahmed awoke with a start, sweat trickling down his back, his heart pounding in his chest. He was struggling to breathe. His head was throbbing. It took a moment to register where he was. Light was streaking into the truck through a tear in its side, shining directly onto Ahmed. He moved out of the sunlight and felt the cold wind from the mountains as it whistled loudly through the tear. He moved towards it to get a glimpse outside, moving past Gamal who was asleep by a crate nearby. Ahmed could see a landscape of steep slopes covered in sparkling white and protruding black. Clouds rested gracefully on the breathtaking peaks in the distance. Frozen lakes glittered in the morning sun. A fine mist hung in the air. They must be at very high altitude, Ahmed thought. He felt calmer and his breathing was better. His mind drifted back to his dream... the last images seemed the most powerful. He must try to find out about Red Fez.

'Where are we?' mumbled Gamal from somewhere in the shadows.

'We're travelling through a mountain pass,' replied Ahmed.

'Where's all that cold air coming from? Is there anything to eat?' Gamal said, shivering.

They searched the truck and found a few cans rolling on the floor. They seemed to contain some kind of soup, though they couldn't read what the writing said. They managed to open the cans and drank to their fill, the soup tasting rather good.

Some time later, when the ride had become less bumpy and the weather had become warmer, they arrived in a bustling town. The trucks came to a stop in a dark warehouse and the drivers got out and left. The two boys then contemplated how to get out. Eventually they decided to cut the tear in the side a bit wider, so they could squeeze out of it. They then managed to make their way out of the building through a window. A man on the opposite side of the street, sitting by the road, was watching them. They walked briskly out of the street and kept looking back to make sure they weren't being followed. It was a nice, old-fashioned little town but they had no idea where they were. They just wanted to find the airport and get away in case the police were looking for them. Would they already know Ahmed had skipped bail?

After a lot of aimless searching, asking strangers, boarding a train, hailing a taxi in another city, they finally arrived at the airport at nightfall. They were conscious not to attract attention in case they were wanted by the police. The date on the tickets was for the following day, so they would have to wait until tomorrow for their flights. Ahmed stood at the check-in desk and showed his tickets to the lady at the counter, while Gamal tried to phone Jasem and Ali to see how they were doing. The two of them looked around anxiously for any sign of trouble.

'Sir, where did you purchase these tickets?' asked the lady at the desk.

'Err... is there a problem?' asked Ahmed.

'Yes, sir, I'm afraid there is. These are not valid plane tickets.'

Ahmed was confused. 'What do you mean? They have to be valid!'

The lady shook her head. 'I've tried scanning them several times, they are not valid tickets. I'm afraid you will have to speak to one of the security officers.'

'Let me check something, I think I know what the problem is,' said Ahmed. He took the tickets, grabbed Gamal and quickly began walking away. The lady called after him and began calling security.

'Gamal, we gotta run!' said Ahmed under his breath.

They scanned the hall around them as they walked, looking for exits. A security officer muttering into a mouthpiece had spotted them. In the opposite direction was the way out. They ran. From the corners of their eyes they could see movement, presumably officers coming towards them. An officer moved into the doorway from which they had to get out. They darted up an adjacent stairway, weaving in and out of people. Panting, they reached the first floor and saw a sign for car parking. They followed the direction until they entered the dark car park where there were many places to hide. Ahmed began to black out and held on to the railing at the edge.

'Ahmed, you okay?' whispered Gamal, grabbing Ahmed's arm.

'Yes, I'll be fine,' said Ahmed in a faint voice.

Gamal looked over the railing and saw that a slope led downwards, but it was too dark to see where. Then a car drove past and he knew it was a road. They heard the sound of echoing footsteps running into the car park.

'Quick! Over the wall!' Gamal whispered.

Without thinking, they dived over the railing and rolled down the grassy slope until they reached the ground floor outside. They followed the road, trying to remain in the shadows. Police sirens could be heard nearby; they could only guess they were searching for them. Gamal was looking out for a taxi and before long, one came their way. The two of them dashed into the back seat and told the driver to drive. They didn't know where to go. When they caught their breath, Ahmed asked Gamal if he had spoken to Jasem and Ali.

'Oh, I couldn't get through to either of them,' replied Gamal.

'That's strange,' said Ahmed.

They seemed to have come so close, thought Ahmed. But another setback had come their way. Why would his great-uncle send him plane tickets that weren't valid? There must be an explanation...

Muhaba
09-04-2013, 10:45 AM
They got off at an unknown location. the taxi driver refused to go any further. "The village is not too far," he said. "There's an inn there."

"Better that than nothing," Gamal muttered as they started toward the village. They walked for hours passing dusty old homes and shops. Every once in a while they asked some for directions for the nearest inn. "It is at the next town," someone told them. "Just follow this road." It was a dusty mud road that seemed to go nowhere. "I wonder if we're going in the right direction," Ahmad said. He was starting to lose hope. What if they got stranded nowhere and couldn't get back? What if they died of hunger? Ahmad's stomach grumbled in agreement, letting him know how hungry he was. He wished they'd taken some soup cans from the truck.

"Let's sit for a bit," Gamal suggested, sitting down on the side of the road. "All right," Ahmad agreed. And they sat. Ahmad's feet were sore from the walking. He wanted to lie down but how could he? It was late afternoon and they had to find the inn before nightfall.

"What did the man say? how many kilometers?" he asked.

Gamal shook his head. "he didn't say."

After a bit, they got back up and started walking again. Just as Ahmad was thinking he'd fall from the exhaustion, a horse led coach passed them from a side road. "Need a ride?" asked the driver?

They nodded and boarded the coach. "To the inn," Gamal said. About a half hour later, the coach stopped at a small building. "Here," the driver said pointing at the building with a sign in a different language. this is the inn."

Ahmad and Gamal nodded, paid the driver a few coins, and got off. Ahmad was glad the neighboring country's currency was accepted here. They entered the inn and Gamal went to inquire about rooms while Ahmad sat and stretched his legs. Just then Ahmad's cell phone beeped. He looked at it and saw there was a message from an unknown number, unknown location. It read "Lose Gamal."

Ahmad shuddered with fear as Gamal turned and pointed toward him, saying something to the innkeeper. It apparently was an innocent gesture. Gamal was inquiring about rooms for himself and Ahmad and pointed out Ahmad, but what did he really say to the innkeeper? The innkeeper eyed Ahmad and then picked up a register and flipped through the pages. Then he gave Gamal a key.

Room 205, Gamal announced reaching Ahmad's table. I've told the innkeeper to send our meal upstairs. It will take a 1/2 hour approximately.

Ahmad nodded. "Let me get some biscuits," he said walking to the café. He ordered a coffee and some biscuits and they sat and ate quietly. Then the two went upstairs.

While Gamal waited for their food to come, Ahmad went to the bathroom. "I'll have a bath," he said. "It will ease my bones." Closing the door, he turned the shower on. Then he examined the window. It was large enough for him to fit through and the fall wasn't too high. Climbing out, he jumped, hoping he didn't break his legs in the process. Then he ran as fast as he could as far away from the inn as he could through the empty streets. After he was far enough, he slowed down and started on a mud road that seemed to be leading to a main road. He could see coaches in the distance. When he got there, he flagged a coach. "To the next town," he said, climbing in. The driver nodded and smacking his horse with his whip, he started the coach. And once again in his life, Ahmad was on his own. He didn't know who to believe, Gamal or the phone message, but he knew one thing. He couldn't trust anyone. He was on his own.

Muhaba
09-04-2013, 11:40 AM
Abu Hasan's head was throbbing and his lip felt like it was busted. Darkness surrounded him. He didn't know where he was and he couldn't remember what had happened, how he had gotten into that state. Then the memories rushed into his mind. The beating, the threats, until he gave in to hooded men and sent Ahmad the message. They threatened to kill him. He had no other way but to do what they said.

Several weeks ago his wife and children had been kidnapped and he'd been told they would be killed if he didn't give them information about Ahmad, so he'd complied hoping nothing bad would happen to Ahmad. He thought that was the end of it. Once they'd been let go, he'd taken his wife and children and left them with his parents where they would be safe.

But the evil had come after him. When he was returning home one night, a car had stopped asking for directions. Abu Hasan went near it to help the driver, but the driver didn't seem to understand which way to go and had asked Abu Hasan if he'd get in the car and guide him. Thinking nothing of it, Abu had complied. But as soon as he entered the car, a passenger from the back seat pressed a white cloth onto Abu's face and in moments Abu Hasan faded out. He awoke in a warehouse.

"We know you know where he is." one man said.

Abu shook his head. "I don't know what you're talking about. Where am I?"

"A blow to the head and Abu landed against the wall. You know well who we are talking about. Ahmad."

"He's in jail," Abu Hasan replied. "I know nothing more.'

"He's out on bail and you know who helped him."

"If you don't tell us, we'll kill you," another man said pointing a gun at him.

"Get your information from someone else," Abu said. "I've done enough." Abu Hasan wasn't worried for his own life as he'd been for his wife and kids'. Or so he thought. The beatings that followed him convinced him he couldn't tolerate this. These men were really dangerous, capable of anything.

"What do you want from me," Abu cried out finally.

"Get Ahmad alone, away from his companion. Get him to mistrust him."

Abu didn't want to do this but life was too dear. He knew that if Ahmad was left alone it would be easier for the thugs to get to him. Where were Gamal and Ahmad? Ahmad's phone didn't show up on GPS.

"Well?"

Abu hesitated but then he spotted a long shiny knife that a third man had pulled out and he realized he couldn't resist. He was no doubt the weakest of the friends. His friends would hate him, and rightfully so. They already did when they'd learned that he'd given Ahmad's whereabouts to the opponents.

Searching through his pockets, Abu took out his cell phone and sent the message, hoping Ahmad never received it. Hoping Ahmad had discarded his phone. When the message was sent, Abu quickly threw the phone onto the floor and stepped on hit hard, crushing it so his opponents wouldn't get Ahmad's number. He didn't know if they'd kill him but he didn't care. He couldn't let them have Ahmad's number.

One man tried to stop him but wasn't quick enough. Their leader walked upto Abu Hasan. "Quite a thoughtful man, aren't you." he said in rage. And then he struck Abu, causing him to black out. Abu fell to the ground. As he blacked out he was sure he would die. But now, he realized they had let him live. Why? he wondered. He looked around. Where were they. Would they be back to complete the job and finish him off? He was glad he wasn't killed yet but knew he had to get away. As his eyes adjusted to the lighting, he saw that the floor was empty. His crushed phone wasn't there. Raising himself, he felt the walls to find a way out of the place. He found a narrow hallway that led to another wider area and he realized he was in some sort of warehouse. After searching for a while, he found a door that opened easily. Getting out, he noticed it was nighttime and he was in an area he'd never been before; some sort of wilderness. The road seemed to have just warehouses and nothing else. And he wondered if he'd find a way back to town. He had to get back. He had to get another message to Ahmad and one to Gamal, to let them know what had happened. He hopped he wasn't too late.

Crying, he made his way on the empty road. He hopped he was headed in the right direction.

Muhammad
09-04-2013, 10:24 PM
'Grigor! Give me a hand with this!'

Grigor walked over to the rocket launcher and began loading it without thinking. He recognised the soldier as one from his squad. Somewhere nearby there was a loud explosion and a violent shuddering of the desert ground. Sand was flying everywhere. Blood was on his hands. Pain in every limb. The rocket fired and everything went dark.

When he opened his eyes, he could see two faces looking at him.

'Sergei, go and call the doctor! He's awake!' Boris was saying.

'Where am I?'

'A hospital in Russia. Don't worry, you'll be OK,' replied Boris. 'But you have to get off now.'

'Get off?'

'Yes, this is your stop. Sir? Hello?'

Ahmed opened his eyes and realised he was at the back of a coach. The driver was standing by his side, saying something in a foreign language, with a few words of English. Ahmed staggered off the coach, wondering about the meaning of these images that kept resurfacing in his mind and whether they were recollections of his past.

Upon disembarking, he looked around him. He seemed to be in some sort of countryside. Golden light was piercing its way through dark, indigo clouds. It was almost morning. He trudged along the dirty road as the coach behind him disappeared, leaving only a trail of dust. There were houses in the distance and farmland stretching out as far as he could see. The air was filled with the typical farmyard smell.

He came across a river glowing in the morning rays, where he performed ablution and prayed. Then he sat and supplicated to Allaah, asking for His help and guidance in this difficult trial. Around him, he could hear the village slowly stirring to life. As he got up, he realised he was close to a house. Someone was walking slowly towards him. An old man with a warm smile. The man seemed to take pity on Ahmed and took him inside, where he gave him some warm milk and freshly baked bread. Ahmed could scarcely believe that he had been met with such kindness after so much cruelty and distrust. He did not know how to thank the man. He did not even speak his language. He shook hands warmly and gestured his gratitude, then left, thanking Allaah as he walked for sending this mercy.

Ahmed walked until he found a secluded spot to rest, where a mossy tree trunk lay on the ground beside a lake. Ducks and geese were sleeping peacefully nearby. He sat there for hours, staring at the lake but hardly seeing it. His mind was filled with images of what had happened, trying to make sense of it all. The plane tickets were in his hands. They must be some sort of clue, he thought. A message. He had checked every detail and considered different possibilities. Could the dates be numbers for coordinates? There was nothing remarkable about most of it, except... the code at the bottom. It was just numbers. He stared at them. What if it was a phone number, with both tickets combined? As ridiculous as it sounded, he pulled out his phone whose battery was almost finished. He said bismillah and dialled the numbers, a feeling of suspense building inside him. He put the phone to his ear and heard it ringing. He felt as if butterflies were in his stomach.

'Hello?' came a gruff voice.

'Err, hello,' said Ahmed.

'Name?'

'Err, Grigor Thomas,' replied Ahmed, looking at the name on the ticket.

'Grigor! I've been waiting for you. Are you safe?'

'Yes I'm OK, I - '

'Where are you?'

Ahmed hesitated. 'Who is this?'

'You might not remember me, but you will know me when you see me. Listen, we don't have much time. We need to meet.'

Ahmed wanted to ask how he could know he could trust this man. But he considered the fact that his great-uncle was the one who wanted him to contact this person. If there was anyone who might able to help, it must be this man.

'Grigor, are you there?'

'Yes, yes I'm here.'

'I need to know your location so I can get you to safety.'

Ahmed told him the name of the country he had travelled to through the mountain pass, and that he was in an unknown village somewhere. He told him about the airport city and some details of his journeying since then.

'Roger. I think I know where you might be. I can get a chopper to you by nightfall, can you stay low till then?'

'I'll try,' said Ahmed.

'Keep your phone switched off until later. I'll text you where you need to be. Don't trust anyone.'

The call ended.

The conversation echoed in Ahmed's mind. What did he mean, you will know me when you see me? Maybe it was Boris or Sergei. But why not just say their name? He could not help but feel uncertain about the whole idea. A helicopter coming for him? It sounded crazy.

Muhaba
09-05-2013, 11:46 AM
Ahmad waited for the sunlight to spread. He placed his nearly dead phone on a rock, angling it so it would be in the sun's path. He was grateful for the blessing of solar energy and even more happy he'd gotten the beta version of the solar powered mobile phone. The phone would recharge in no time. It worked all right most of the time.

In the mean time, he decided to go for a swim in the lake. It would refresh him. As he looked around him, he saw that the place was beyond anything he'd ever seen, even in pictures. Such was the beauty and serenity of this country village. If he hadn't been going through these life-threatening conditions, he'd actually enjoy being here.

After the swim, he gathered his belongings and started for the marketplace to catch something to eat. He longed for a hot bun and some coffee.

Meanwhile, Abu Hasan continued to walk on the long road, his feet bruised. He had to find his friends, had to get word to Ahmad and Gamal. Oh Allah, let them be safe. He cried out aloud, looking up to dawn sky. He'd come a long way according to the road signs he'd passed, but he was still miles away from the nearest town.

The leader of the thug handed the crushed phone to the data recovery technician and inquired whether he could obtain information from it, explaining that it was necessary to get the whereabouts of a fugitive wanted for attempted murder.

"Piece of cake," the technician said, and got to work immediately. Before long, the thug had obtained Ahmad and Gamal's phone numbers. He handed their phone numbers to his partner in crime. "Here, find out where they are through GPS."

Gamal awoke from a deep sleep, his body still tired from all the walking. Looking about, he saw that he was in the motel room he and Ahmad were sharing. He'd fallen asleep after eating his share of the food. Turning over he sat up and looked around. Ahmad's food was still untouched and the shower was running. A quick glance at the wall mount clock told him he'd been asleep for a few hours. “What the!” he exclaimed, jumping to his feet. How long had Ahmad been in the shower?

Running to the bathroom, he knocked on it loudly. But no answer came. A few more knocks. Still nothing. Finally, he kicked the door open. “Ahmad, are you alright?” he asked, rushing inside. Checking the shower, he saw that Ahmad was not there. A side wall window was wide open, wind blowing fiercely through it.

Gamal looked out through the window. Ahmad was nowhere to be seen.

Where was he, he wondered. What had happened? There was no way he could have left without telling him. Did he get kidnapped? Did the police find him? He was still thinking this when a loud rap sounded on the motel room’s door.

“Police. Open the door or we’ll break in.”

Gamal didn’t know what to do. Where to go. He looked out the window but the leap was too low for him. He’d definitely break a limb if he tried jumping. Just then a loud crashing sound told him the police had broken the door and were inside. Gamal went back to the room. “What can I do for you?”

“We are looking for your friend, Ahmad. Where is he?” said the officer.

“I’m afraid he’s not here. Seems he’s gone out,” Gamal said, trying to quench his fear and anxiety.

The officers surrounded him. “There is only one exit out of this building and he hasn’t been out that way. So either he’s in this room or-“ the officer said.

“or what,” Gamal said, becoming more frightened because of the way they were looking at him.

“What have you done with Ahmad,” inquired an officer.

“Sir, really I do not know where he is. When I woke up he wasn’t in the room. I have no idea where he is.” He told them about the shower and the open window.

“Gamal, we have received a phone call that you murdered Ahmad. You’re under arrest.”

And to Gamal’s worst nightmares,
Gamal watched as an officer put handcuffs on him and started leading him out of the room.

“Really officer, I haven’t done anything.”

“We’ll let you go when we find Ahmad. Until then, you’re staying with us.” An officer said.

The thug finally managed to intercept Ahmad's phone call. He listened as Ahmad told his whereabouts to someone and was told that a helicopter would come to get him. After the phone call ended, the head thug made a call to Abu Isaiah and told him what he'd learned.

"Perfect!" Abu Isaiah said before hanging up. "We'll have a surprise for him. I'll let the authorities know."

It was late afternoon when Ahmad started back toward the place where the person had told him a helicopter would get him. But something was nagging him. Something telling him how he could trust that person. What if it's a trap? He didn't know who that person was or who had left the phone number. Who'd altered the tickets, making them invalid. What if it was Abu Isaiah's doing?

He thought over it long and hard, his pace getting slower with each passing moment. Until he couldn't get himself to move. He looked round at the buildings and shops, trying to figure out what to do. His eyes landed on a hardware store. Rushing to the store, he asked for a pair of binoculars. "Give me the best you've got," he said to the storekeeper. And in five minutes he'd purchased a pair of handy binoculars, one that let him see from very far distance. He'd been accustomed to using these while he was in the army. Now all he needed to do was sit where no one could see him and he could have a good glimpse of the place where the helicopter was to meet him.

Night fell. And Ahmad waited. For his friend or foe, time would tell. To his dismay, in the less than an hour, the place was filled with police from his country. He had been betrayed. Another setback. Luckily he was far away enough to get away without being detected. Under the cover of the night, Ahmad, quickly started toward the old town, where he'd had breakfast. But he couldn't stay there. He had to get far from here and quickly. Where to go? he wondered. Then he remembered a train station he'd seen not far from here. A sign had said that the next train left at midnight. Ahmad quickly started for that. And in no time, he boarded the train, ticket in hand. In less than fifteen minutes, the whistle sounded and the train started, to a place Ahmad had never heard of. Somewhere on the other side of the country, a map told him bordering China. Ahmad sat back, glad he'd outsmarted his enemies once again, but unsure what the future would bring. His phone beeped, announcing another message. But Ahmad decided not to read it. He would get rid of the phone. It brought only misery so far.

Muhammad
09-05-2013, 05:03 PM
Deep in the suburbs of Cairo, a young man was scurrying amongst feeble shelters and derelict houses. He turned several corners before finally coming to a boarded up house. He looked both ways before opening the basement window hidden behind an overgrown bush. He climbed down into the dusty room, where a second young man was making tea on a little stove.

'Ali! What took you so long?' said Jasem, stirring the pot.

'I... thought I was... being followed,' panted Ali. 'And I got a bit lost.'

'Sit down, the tea's ready,' said Jasem, wiping sweat from his forehead.

'I've got news,' said Ali, pulling out a newspaper. 'Gamal is in jail in a foreign country.'

'What?!' blurted out Jasem.

He took the newspaper and scanned the story. Gamal's picture was unmistakeable. 'Arrested for the murder of one Grigor Thomas?' he read aloud. He could not believe it. They both knew it was utter nonsense.

'We have to get him out,' said Ali.

'You know very well we can't!' said Jasem. 'We're on the run ourselves, with police thinking we were part of the attack on that fortune-teller lady.'

'Yeah but she's getting her memory back, right?'

Jasem sat down and sipped his tea. It was true, there were rumours that Georgi was getting her memory back. Whilst this was good news, it was also dangerous as the people who attacked her might return to make sure she never testified.

'We can't rely on that,' said Jasem. 'That lady is in danger and there's nothing we can do to help her.'

'Let's send him a message at least,' suggested Ali.

'It's too risky using our phones. Besides, there's hardly any reception here anyway.'

'Well we can't stay in this stinking hole surviving on tea and biscuits. We've been here for weeks and... I'm tired of it, Jasem,' cried Ali. 'The rats, the dust, the dark...'

'I know, Ali. Be patient. We'll get out soon, In-sha-Allaah. Here, drink your tea.' But Jasem did not know how soon that would be. He, too, was beginning to break under the weight of their suffering.

The dark road seemed endless as Abu Hasan tarried further in the cold. Suddenly, he heard the sound of an engine and turned to see the headlights of a car coming from behind. Could it be his captors looking for him? Terror rose inside him as he looked around for somewhere to hide. The land was flat and barren, and he was already too exhausted to run. He turned away from the road and dived to the ground just as the car rumbled by. Abu Hasan was scared he might have moved too slowly. Now the car came to a halt and Abu Hasan feared the worst. A man's voice called out.

'Hey, you OK?'

Abu Hasan didn't recognise the voice, and looking up, the man seemed alone.

'What you doing out here?' asked the man.

'I was attacked,' said Abu Hasan.

'By whom?'

'I... I don't know. I just need some help...'

There was a pause in which either man sized up the other.

'I'm going to El Asher. If you're going to Cairo, you can catch a bus from there in the morning,' the man finally said.

Abu Hasan was immensely relieved when he could finally sit down in the car and had water to drink. His eyelids felt heavy and though he tried to resist, his surroundings began to blur.

Grigor could feel something cold entering his veins as he lay there, unable to escape, in the operating room of a hospital in Israel. The neurosurgeon had put on his surgical gown and gloves, and only his cold eyes appeared above the face mask. Lurking somewhere nearby was the Mossad agent. Would he, too, be involved in the operation? Rows and rows of silver equipment was all he could see as the anaesthetic took effect and the room disappeared.

There was a loud whistle and Ahmed awoke with a gasp, his heart pounding in his chest. The train began to move again after what must have been a short stop at a station. He checked his bag to make sure everything was still inside, which, thankfully, it was. Villages and farmlands hurtled by outside, but the misty mountains stood firmly in place. Why did these nightmares keep occurring, thought Ahmed. They were getting more and more frequent, as were his black outs.

The train was rather old and shabby, and filled with people. Their voices were drowned by the steady rhythm of the wheels on the track.

'Oh, so you're finally awake!' said a voice next to him.

It was an old woman, smiling at him. Somehow, he hadn't noticed her earlier.

'What's your name?' she asked him.

'My name?' said Ahmed, not wanting to reveal it. 'You can call me Boris,' he said.

'Boris,' repeated the woman. 'That's a nice name. Here, have some cake, Boris.'

Ahmed took the cake but he didn't feel like eating it as he felt travel sick. He got up to find the toilets. Why had he said Boris? He had seen his face so many times in his dreams that it was the only name he could think of. As he squeezed past people toward the end of the carriage, the image of Boris would not leave his mind. It became so strong and clear, that it was as if he were looking at Boris at that very moment. He blinked. He could not believe what he was seeing. It was Boris. The tall, muscular man with straw-coloured hair in an army cut, was coming towards him. Without thinking, Ahmed began to move towards him. Then he suddenly realised that he didn't even remember much about Boris. But it was too late. In a swift movement, Boris caught Ahmed's arm in a strong grip and pushed him in front, a knife pressed against his back.

'Keep moving,' he breathed against his neck.

He forced him into a window seat, where he sat beside him. Ahmed was trapped.

Muhammad
09-05-2013, 05:04 PM
'What's going on?' demanded Ahmed.

'You don't have any idea, do you?' said Boris, his voice sounding so familiar.

'About what?'

'About what you've done!' said Boris.

'Look, I don't remember anything,' said Ahmed.

'We were your friends, Ahmed. We looked out for you. We rescued you, saved your back more times than you could count. And then you stabbed us in the back!'

'What did I do?' asked Ahmed.

Boris' face was contorted with anger. 'You betrayed us. You abandoned us!' he spat. 'Decided to live a pure life!' he mocked. 'Even changed your name! And when we needed your help, turned a blind eye. Forgot us, just like that, after all we did!'

The truth was slowly dawning on Ahmed, but it was still a blur. Yes, Boris and Sergei had contacted him again after he left the army. But what was it for?

'Listen, we can sort this out. I'm sorry for - '

'Sorry?!' Boris laughed. 'It's too late. We've made a contract to hunt you down, and down you will go!'

The train began to slow down.

'Get up, we're getting off,' said Boris.

The knife digging into his back again, Ahmed was forced to walk to the door and descend from the train, Boris right behind him. They were walking towards the exit when someone called them. Turning to look, Ahmed jumped in shock as Boris was knocked to the ground after being struck on the head with a hard object.

The assailant grabbed Ahmed and revealed a gun in his belt. 'If you want to live, come with me.'

Ahmed didn't seem to have much of a choice. The two of them sprinted out of the station. They got into a car where a driver was waiting and sped off.

'We didn't expect you to get off here. We have to drive to the next village.'

'Who are you?' asked Ahmed.

'All will become clear, just sit tight.'

After an hour, they arrived at a remote house in the hills. The fresh mountain air was a welcomed change from the cramped train.

Ahmed walked in and found himself face to face with another man from his forgotten past. He looked older and took a moment to recognise, but it was him. Finally, he was meeting with Red Fez.

Muhaba
09-05-2013, 10:05 PM
"Hello son," the red fez said. "How are you doing?"

Ahmad nodded. "As good as possible under the current circumstances." As Ahmad stared at the round red face of the man, he started recognizing him. The man in the Red Fez was a friend of his great uncle, someone Ahmad had seen on many occasions when during his brief stay when he was off from boarding school.

"We have heard," said the man in the Red Fez. He motioned for Ahmad to sit. "Gregor, you made a mistake when you skipped bail. we are trying to get your case transferred to military court but it's important you return."

"I can't!" Ahmad said in exasperation. "They'll imprison me."

"They will be lenient if you return voluntarily. Especially if you get back before your next court date."

Ahmad sighed. Shaking his head he said "that's impossible. the military is also against me."

"Not all of them. Seems Boris and Sergie were on the wrong side of the law. You owed them nothing. You were under no compulsion to respond to their calls. It wasn't a military requirement. What they have against you is personal. They have no influence on the outcome of your case."

Ahmad nodded. nothing made sense to him.

"It's up to you," said the man in the Red Fez. "You can go on your way, hide, change your name, and start a new life with a new identity. Or you can try to fix everything by proving your innocence, which you'll have more power over should your case be transferred to military court."

"And if it doesn't?"

"It's highly likely it will. In any case, we are willing to testify on your character at the court."

"I'll think about it." Ahmad said.

"Your next appearance is scheduled for the 18th. Make up your mind before that. We'll get you through the border should you decide to return. One of us will be waiting for you at the border anytime. It's up to you what you want to do now. For now, you can rest in the adjacent room."

Ahmad nodded. He understood the severity of his case but his mind was a mess. Going to the next room, he sat on the bed and tried to think things through. What to do? what step to take? Should he go back to his home country and face trial or should he try to disappear again, something which was getting harder to do with each passing moment. He needed some advice, but who to turn to? Who to ask?

Taking out his phone, he stared at it. Could he call his so-called friends in Egypt and get their opinion? How much could he trust Jasem and Ali? Already Abu Hasan and Gamal had turned out to be traitors, what if the others were too? In the end he decided as long as he was with the men from the military, friends of his great uncle, he was fine. Switching on his phone, he dialed Jasem's number. It was picked up on the first ring. Though the connection was noisy, he could hear him. "Jasem, it's Ahmad."

"Ahmad, where are you. We've been worried. what happened with Gamal?"

"I don't know where Gamal is," Ahmad said.

"We know. He's in jail. he's accused of murdering you."

"What?" Ahmad said. "How can that be? I'm alive."

"-but missing. the newspaper said as long as you aren't found, it's assumed you're dead and Gamal is guilty."

Ahmad shook his head. Was this real? It seemed someone was playing a double role. Was someone trying to put discord between him and his friends and in the process harming them all. "What can I do to help Gamal?" Ahmad wondered out loud.

But he couldn't hear Jasem's response. The connection had become so bad he only heard a roaring noise before the line went dead.

As Ahmad sat there, thinking of what to do, he knew he had to find a way to get Gamal out of jail. But to do that, he had to reveal himself to the authorities, and that came with repercussions that might be too dangerous. Still he knew he couldn't leave Gamal in jail. He had 10 days before he was due in court. Whatever he did, had to be done in that time. And he had to act quick. He had no time to lose.

Muhammad
09-06-2013, 04:27 PM
Rain fell hard against the window as Ahmed lay on the bed, thinking. The key to all this was Georgi, the fortune-teller. If he could find her, she might be able to testify to his innocence if her memory returned. And then he would no longer be wanted by the police. He needed to clear his name, as he couldn't keep running forever. Then it would be easy for Gamal to be released. But his enemies would, no doubt, find new obstacles with which to block his path to his great-uncle's inheritance. He would need to find a way to end that, too. But where to start?

There was a sharp knock on the door.
'Grigor, can I come in?' said Red Fez.
'Yes,' said Ahmed, sitting up.
'I've brought you something to eat. There's also much I need to tell you, but we don't have a great deal of time; it's not safe here.'
He pulled up a chair, took out a cigar and lit it, then looked out of the window as swirls of smoke came out of his mouth. Ahmed began to eat the sandwiches he had been given.
'Do you still have the contents of the package your great-uncle sent you?' asked Red Fez.
Ahmed nodded.
'The plane tickets?'
Ahmed nodded again.
'Good, good. What did the fortune-teller tell you about the map and key?'
'That a... man gave it... to my great-uncle...' said Ahmed, between mouthfuls. 'But he lost the map...'
Red Fez sneered. 'Rubbish! Your grandfather never lost it. He worked tirelessly to decipher that map. His knowledge of ancient egyptian language and history was pivotal in such a task. But he never trusted anyone and pretended he did not know about the map. When he discovered Abu Isaih was looking for it, he took greater measures to hide his research. Around that time he contacted me but it was too late. Abu Isaih had already begun to bring upon your great-uncle's demise. I then profiled this Abu Isaih and learned he works for a powerful figure in Egypt, with many contacts in high places. We are still tracking him down. He is the one who hired Boris and Sergei to stop you at all costs from claiming the inheritance.'
'But how did he know about Boris and Sergei?'
'The fortune-teller, Grigor. You were foolish to fall for her. She is the one who brought you to the attention of her cousin Abu Isaih, who had no idea you existed at the time.'
'Georgi? I don't believe it. I trust her.'
'Very foolish! She is not a fortune-teller and Georgi isn't even her real name. You probably told her everything about your feud with Boris and Sergei. The same information she used against you when you left her.'
'No!' said Ahmed in disbelief. 'She helped me to escape from Egypt...'
'That I don't understand, but you would be wise to keep away from her,' said Red Fez.

Red Fez inhaled deeply on his cigar as Ahmed sat in confusion over what he had just heard.
'Listen to me, Grigor. The plane tickets are the most important item in that package. Your great-uncle told me about it before he died. They are crucial to finding the map and diary, as well as the key.'
'But I already have the map and key,' said Ahmed.
'No, those are decoys. Your uncle knew you would be in danger when he involved you in the estate. Those items would have been stolen from you by now, had your enemies not known they were fakes. Yes, the real items are somewhere in that house, and that is why they are guarding it with full patrol.'
'What's so special about the diary?' asked Ahmed.
'The diary contains the research your great-uncle was working on for years, which will help understand the map. I will help you, Grigor, to get inside the house, but when the time is right. For now, you need to get the police off your back. It will be difficult for my men to help you as a fugitive.'

Ahmed thought about the plane tickets.
'I thought they only contained a phone number?' asked Ahmed.
'Yes, mine,' replied Red Fez. 'But that's not all. Don't worry about that now. Finish your sandwich, we need to leave.'

Ahmed was more confused than ever. When he seemed to be coming close to answers, he was dragged further away. Could he trust Georgi? Maybe she had changed since then, or else why would she help him back in Egypt?

'Are you ready for us to go to Cairo?' asked Red Fez.
'Yes,' replied Ahmed. Going to Cairo seemed the only way forward. If he was going to let Red Fez deal with the prison sentence, it would have to be done there. But more importantly, he wanted to find Georgi and get answers. Get her to testify his innocence. He had to try.

'There is one more thing, Grigor,' said Red Fez, as they stood on the porch, about to run over to the helicopter in the pouring rain. 'The fortune-teller seems to have made an amulet, some kind of stone. One of my men found a message from Abu Isaih, requesting her to make it. That is responsible for weakening your mind and making it easier for your enemies to get to you. It must be destroyed...'
'Where is it?' asked Ahmed.
'I found it on you in the hospital when I came to visit you,' said Red Fez. 'But now it is with one of your friends.'

جوري
09-06-2013, 06:22 PM
i am awe struck by the raw talent here :ma: (you can delete this post but had no idea where else to write this) just brilliant.. it should be the theme for a movie :ma: :D

Muhaba
09-06-2013, 09:35 PM
As Ahmad prepared to leave, his mind couldn't get off Georgi and what the Red Fez had revealed to him. Why would she help him leave Egypt if she was involved? and then it struck him. She'd given him his package and plane tickets but the plane was going the wrong way. She'd deliberately put him on the wrong plane! Ahmad shuddered at the thought. He realized this woman could do a lot of damage. He had to warn his friends. Had to let them know not to trust her.

Muhammad
09-07-2013, 03:28 PM
The calls to prayer echoed through the streets of Cairo at sunset. In one of the narrow streets, a hooded man knocked on the door.

'Who are you and what do you want?' came a woman's voice from inside.
'It's me, Ali. Please, I mean no harm. We need your help,' said Ali. He was relieved to have found the right house and that Georgi was at home.

There was silence for a minute, then the sound of locks being opened and the door opened slightly with the chain fastened against the wall.

'I can't help you, I've already done all I can,' said Georgi.
'Please', said Ali.
'How did you find me?' Georgi asked.
'A man in the market said he knew where you lived. I saw him talking to you last time I saw you.'
'The tent manager? He's gonna get me killed, telling everybody where I live!' cried Georgi.
'It was difficult persuading him. I said you knew me and I even ran an errand for him,' said Ali. 'Please, let me inside before someone sees me, I'm a wanted person.'
'That makes two of us,' muttered Georgi, as she opened the door to let Ali in and quickly locked it behind him.
'Jasem'll kill me if he finds out I came to see you,' said Ali.

He looked around. The place was small, dingy and near-empty, with a couple of bags by the side. Georgi was clearly about to leave.

'I only came by here to collect a few things,' said Georgi. 'You're lucky you found me. And I'm lucky you're not them.'
'Who?' asked Ali.
'The men Abu Isaih works for.'
'What do they want with you?'
'They know I helped Ahmed escape from Egypt. They're worried I'll testify to his innocence. They want me dead. I have to get away from here... You don't know my cousin...'
'Please, come with me, we can find a solution,' said Ali. 'You have to testify that it wasn't us who attacked you. The police are after all of us now!'
'If I go to the police, they'll get to me first,' said Georgi. 'Why do you think I faked amnesia? That bought me some time but good thing I ran away from hospital. They had their men prowling around in case I came to my senses.'

Georgi began shoving some clothes into a bulging bag.

'Look, me and Jasem will go with you,' persisted Ali.
'No! Nothing will make any difference. They're probably looking for you, too. Get away while you still can.'

Ali was getting desperate. Without Georgi, how would they prove their innocence? He watched as she scrambled together the last few items lying around and put them into a rucksack which she flung onto her back.

Suddenly, she froze, then beckoned Ali to be quiet. Footsteps could be heard scraping against the dusty ground outside the front door. The two of them were glued to the spot as they stared at each other in terror. They could hear someone attempt to pick the lock. Georgi pointed to a room adjacent to theirs, and as quietly as possible, they moved towards it. Georgi glanced towards the bags on the floor, but Ali gestured her to leave them.

As they entered the tiny kitchen, dark shadows flitted across the window. Georgi put her arm out to signal turning back. As they headed for the stairs, the front door came crashing open, but they didn't wait to get a glimpse of who it was. A window in the kitchen smashed. They scurried up the steps then burst out onto the open, flat roof and raced across, jumping over into the next house. The whole street was connected in this way. Ducking beneath clothes on washing lines and jumping over obstacles, they kept going as long as they could. Somewhere down below, a car was moving on the road, perhaps trying to follow.

The building in the next street was slightly lower, so they managed to leap across and tumbled on its hard floor where they lay low, gasping for breath, trying to listen for the sounds of their pursuers. Ali looked around but it was hard to see very far beyond all the banners and various things draped across the streets.

A door opened from somewhere behind them and a man stepped out, emptied a dish of crumbs and returned, without seeing them. They got up and found the door still unlocked, so descended the stairs and found themselves in a bustling coffee shop. They sat at a table, not knowing what to do. Georgi was still shivering in shock.

'What am I going to do?' she was saying to herself.
'Listen, me and Jasem are hiding in the suburbs. Come and stay there, it'll be safer.'

Georgi shook her head. 'I'm going to stay with a friend in Romania. I've already booked the tickets. I leave in two days.'
'Where are you planning on staying till then?'
'A hotel far from here.'

They kept looking over their shoulders anxiously. Georgi pulled a scarf out of her bag and wrapped it around her head.

'Ali, listen. There's something I forgot to tell Ahmed,' said Georgi. 'There's an amulet, looks like a stone with weird writing... you have to find it and destroy it.'
'Amulet? What do you mean?'
'Just find it, Ali. It's designed to harm Ahmed, and you have to help him get rid of it.'
She shook her head and sighed, muttering things to herself.

Ali's eyes widened as he spotted someone enter the shop, looking around suspiciously. 'Georgi! They're here!' he hissed.
Georgi spun round, then told Ali to get under the table, its cloth drooping to floor level. She bent her head and covered it with the menu.
'We have to get out of here!' she whispered to him.
'Sit tight!' he whispered back.

Ali could hear his heart thumping as he listened under the table for feet coming towards their table.
Seconds painfully went by as he tried to think of what to do next.
'Georgi?' he whispered.
No reply.
He said her name louder, but no reply.

He lifted up the table cloth where she had been sitting and found, to his astonishment, that she had gone.

Signor
09-07-2013, 04:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by جوري
i am awe struck by the raw talent here (you can delete this post but had no idea where else to write this) just brilliant.. it should be the theme for a movie
One goes with nick of WRITER and other is WRI(Muhammad)TER without nick Masha Allah

Muhaba
09-07-2013, 09:42 PM
Where had she gone, he wondered. Peeping around, he saw it was safe. No one out of the ordinary seemed to be there. Ali got out and sat for a while, ordering a coffee while he caught his breath. After about 15 minutes, he finally got the courage to leave the café. But to his dismay, a group with guns was waiting for him in an alley on the side of the cafe. His eyes widened as he saw them. Before he could react, they surrounded him. He was trapped. What had just happened? he wondered. Where was Georgi? Had they taken her too? As the men moved closer, Ali jumped at one of them, wrestling him to the ground. But being outnumbered, he could do nothing. They tied him up and dragged him to a truck. Shoving him inside, they drove off.

The ride was long and bumpy and Ali was alone in the back of the truck, his hands and feet tied. He struggled to undo the tight rope gnawing into his wrists, constantly becoming discouraged but not losing hope in Allah's help. He prayed throughout and after what seemed like hours, the rope became loose. A little more struggle, and Ali managed to get the rope off his hands. He next worked on the knot tying his ankles. Picking continuously for a while, he managed to untie that knot as well. He was partially free. Now all he had to do was get out of the truck, a more difficult task since the truck was moving pretty fast. Ali waited until the truck slowed down a bit, and then he opened the back door, slightly to analyze the situation. He saw that the truck was moving on a narrow winding road that ran between rows of trees. Still, it was too fast for him to jump. After waiting a bit, he spotted a small bush on the side of the road and without waiting, he jumped for it, landing right on top of the bush, which insulated his fall somewhat. Getting his balance, he jumped to his feet and made a run into the orchard. He had no idea where he was or how far he was from Cairo but the only thing on his mind was to get as far away from the truck as possible.

After running for what seemed like hours, he reached a paved road. A sign told him it led to El Asher. Ali sat on the side of the road, hoping a car might pass by sometime soon and give him a ride. And soon. He knew these roads were not frequently travelled. It might be days before anyone came his way.

After several hours, Ali finally spotted a car. Standing, he started waving his arms to get the attention of the driver. When the car stopped, Ali was shocked to see Abu Hasan accompanying the driver! A very bruised Abu Hasan.

Ali! Cried Abu Hasan. What are you doing here?

Muhammad
09-08-2013, 05:05 PM
The two of them spoke little as they journeyed with the stranger to El Asher. Ali resented the fact that he was in a car with Abu Hasan, but he had been desperate for a lift. They arrived there shortly, thanked the stranger and waited for their bus to Cairo.

'Give me one good reason why I shouldn't punch you in the face for what you did!' said Ali.
'Listen, it was all a setup,' began Abu Hasan, who had been expecting this. 'They blackmailed me to disclose information about Ahmed, and to lie... they had my wife and kids, but they're OK now - you can phone and ask them.'
'Why did you run away from us, then?' quizzed Ali.
'I didn't. I was kidnapped. They drugged me in a car and took me to some warehouse, they beat me and threatened me... it was terrible...'

Ali looked at the face of his old friend. There were cuts all over it, dried blood and his lip was badly bruised. One of his eyes was blackened too. Could it be a deception, or had his friend been chased by the same people he had just escaped from? He wasn't sure what to believe.

'Ali, I swear I didn't mean for any of this to happen. I've been walking all night hoping to find you guys again... I need to get a message to Ahmed and Gamal. They're trying to turn us against each other.'

Ali contemplated. Abu Hasan's story seemed plausible. He couldn't be sure.

'Where's your brother, Jasem?' asked Abu Hasan.
'A safe place,' replied Ali.

The bus arrived and the two of them boarded. Ali was hesitant to trust Abu Hasan and take him to their hideout. During the journey, he remembered something that Georgi had said.

'The stone... where is it?'
'What stone?' said Abu Hasan.
'The amulet thing that has weird writing on it.'
'I honestly don't know... wait, do you mean... I think I know what you might be looking for. I saw Jasem pick it up when he was collecting Ahmed's items from the hospital after he'd escaped,' said Abu Hasan.

Jasem must have put the stone somewhere without even knowing what it is, thought Ali. He must get back quickly. He explained to Abu Hasan about the amulet, though he wasn't sure if he should.

Muhaba
09-08-2013, 09:11 PM
As they rode to Cairo, Ali thought about what Abu Hasan had told him. The state that Abu Hasan was in told him that what he said must be the truth. Surely Abu Hasan wouldn't have let this happen to him. Finally, he decided to take Abu Hasan to their secret hideout. As they got off the bus, he said, "You can come but you can't bring along your phone."

"I don't have it. Abu Isaiah's men stole it."

And so, Ali and Abu Hasan made their way to the secret place as discreetly as possible, walking in the shadows of the streets of Cairo, until they reached the oldest area of town. It's streets were dark, most of the residents already gone to bed.

"This is it," said Ali as they approached an old building. Ali rapped on the door.

"Isn't this Jasem's grandfather's old place?" Abu Hasan said.

Ali nodded. "He's doesn't live here. Since he fell ill, he's moved to his other son's house." The house had been abandoned for a while. It was in a sorry state, badly needing maintenance but it worked as their hideout.

Ali waited a few minutes and then slowly rapped the door again. After about a minute, he heard a scratching sound, like something was scratching the wood. It almost sounded like an animal but Ali knew it was the code. "It's Ali," he whispered. After a bit of racketing, the door opened and Ali and Abu Hasan entered and Jasem quickly closed the door and bolted it. He had a questioning look on his face and was obviously wondering about Abu Hasan. Ali ushered them both downstairs. Once they were all safely down there, Jasem turned on Abu Hasan. "What's he doing here?" he asked angrily. "And what happened to him. Did you two get into a fight."

Abu Hasan shook his head but Ali nodded a yes. "Yes," he said, "but not with each other." He quickly explained everything and Abu Hasan told them his story.

"I don't know what to think!" Jasem exclaimed. "This is a big mess. Where all being followed and are wanted. Gamal is in jail, and Ahmad is trying to hide. No one is in any situation to help another. What are we to do."

"Yes," Ali said. "And we can't even trust the fortune-teller. What happened today makes me distrust even her, though she may be innocent."

Jasem sat and held his head. "What should we do?"

"Well, first we need to tend to Abu Hasan. He's badly wounded. and I'm starving!"

Jasem jumped to his feet and grabbed a first aid kit. "Abu Hasan, sit!" He started wiping Abu's wounds with the antiseptic and applying bandages while Ali went to the fridge to get something to eat. They'd stacked up on cold foods and cans. The freezer was filled with breads and khubz. Taking some bread out, he put them in the toaster to defreeze. Opening some cans, he placed them on the small coffee table.

After Abu Hasan's wounds had been taken care of, the three sat to eat. "What we need," Abu Hasan said between mouthfuls, "is a plan."

Jasem nodded. "But first we need to identify the problem we're trying to tackle and tackle them one by one."

"Well we need to prove our innocence," ALi said.
"And we need to free Gamal and help Ahmad." Abu Hasan said.
"And we need to know whose side Georgi is on."

"But the first we need to do is to get out of this place. whiled we're holed up in here, we can't do anything." Abu Hasan said.

"Where should we go?" Ali asked.

"We can go to my parent's farm." Abu said.

Jasem and Ali looked at each other. Could they trust Abu Hasan?

Meanwhile, Ahmad was trying to reach his remaining friends in Egypt to warn them about the fortune-teller but he kept getting a network error. It was nearly Fajr time when he finally got through. "Jasem, I've been trying to call you for hours."

Jasem tried to explain the situation using as few words as he could, hinting at this and that. "We're staying in most of the time. The signal doesn't reach much of the time," he said. "I've come out to take a walk in the early hours of the morning." He didn't tell him that he was taking a walk on the roof of a small house. not much of a walk going back and forth in the small place but the fresh air refreshed him.

"Listen Jasem, do not trust the fortune teller. Ahmad said. "She's a fake and is on Abu Isaiah's side."

Jasem filled Ahmad in about Ali's meeting with Georgi, Ali being caught, his escape and running into Abu Hasan, what they'd learned from Abu Hasan. "So it seems Abu Hasan was coerced."

"I see." Ahmad said. He didn't know if trusting Abu Hasan was the right thing to do but didn't voice his thoughts. Wishing his friends luck, he hung up, then started wlking back and forth, trying to make sense of everything. His first step should be to try to help Gamal get out of jail, he decided. And then to go back, face trial and try to prove his innocence. If only the fortune teller would testify to his innocence. But he couldn't rely on her.

Getting out of the room, he announced his decision to the Red Fez. "I need to go to the capital, present myself in front of police there, and get Gamal out."

The Red Fez nodded. "One of the guards will accompany you," he said. "You're an honorable man. I wish you luck."

Getting his things, Ahmad and the guard walked out of the small house. Ahmad hoped everything went smoothly and there weren't any more problems on the way. He especially hoped he didn't run into Boris and Sergie.

Muhaba
09-11-2013, 12:08 PM
Ahmad managed to get Gamal out rather easily. He still had 5 days left to show up in court.

"Let's get something to eat," Gamal said as they left the police station. "That jail food has made me sick. I could barely eat!"

Asking around, they were lead to a fabulous restaurant, the only decent place in the area. The food there was overpriced but better than what cheaper places were serving. It was also cleaner. As they sat waiting for their food to arrive, Ahmad dialed his escort guard's number to let him know where to meet them, but strangely his phone was coming switched off. Placing his phone on the table, Ahmad decided to try after they ate.

"No, answer," Gamal asked.

Ahmad shook his head. "Maybe he's resting."

After half an hour, the two got ready to leave. Ahmad paid the bill and started leaving the place when something caught his eye. A TV screen on the far right with the title "Breaking News." Ahmad was surprised to see his face on the screen. Getting closer to hear what was being said, Ahmad was shocked at what he heard: "A man named Grigor and his accomplice Gamal wanted for murdering Ivan Abezguaz, a military officer. He was found shot dead in his car near the main police station. He was last seen with Grigor. If you have any information about Grigor's whereabouts contact 999 immediately-"

Ahmad recalled that his escort's name was Abezguaz. Grabbing Gamal's hand quickly, while keeping facing away from the other people seated in the reastaurant, Ahmad said, "Come. Hurry we must leave."

Gamal was perplexed. "Did you hear from-?" But Ahmad nudged him with his elbow and pulled him toward the door. Gamal immediately got quiet and quickly followed Ahmad outside.

"What happened?" he asked as they made their way behind the building to where it was more secluded.

"Abezguaz was murdered." Ahmad filled him in about the details. "We have to get out of here. We are wanted."

"Oh d-mn!" Gamal said. "What do we do?"

"Let's hide until it's dark. Then we can leave without being noticed."
Ahmad and Gamal entered the shopping area parking lot and hid behind cars in the shadows. After a few hours, night fell and when it was dark enough, they quietly came out. Making sure they stayed in the darkness, they started on foot on the main road hoping to leave the capital before someone caught them. They hoped that once they were out of the capital, they might be able to get a ride without being recognized.

As they hurried on the road, following various signs to find their way, Gamal said, "Where exactly are we planning to go?"

"We need to get to the border. Someone will get us through there."

After several hours, they heard a truck passing by. Reading the writing on the truck, they saw that it was coming from China. Hoping that word about them hadn't reached China, the two flagged the truck. It came to a stop.

"Where to?" the driver asked.

Ahmad told him where they were headed.

'That's where I'm going." the driver said, and started the truck.

Ahmad and Gamal both fell asleep. After many hours, they awoke to see it was morning, the sun shining brightly. truck was parked in a roadside motel's parking lot, near a gas station and the driver was not there. Ahmad and Gamal quickly reailized they had missed the Fajr prayer. Getting out, they went to the gas station and asked if there was a bathroom. The attendant gestured to a room behind the gas station. After doing their ablutions, Ahmad and Gamal prayed the Fajr. Then went back to the truck. Ahmad climbed into the truck while Gamal suggested he go and get something for breakfast. "My face wasn't on TV so hopefully no one recognizes me," he said.

Ahmad nodded, liking the idea. In a little while, Gamal was back with pancakes and hot coffee and a couple of bottles of water. "I got extra pancakes for the journey too," he said as he climbed into the truck. They ate in silence and then waited for the truck driver to come back. It was nearly noon, when the driver was back.

"Needed some sleep," he said as he started the truck. Ahmad smiled and wished him well while inwardly afraid that the driver may have learned who they were. But after being on the road for a while, he calmed down.

By evening they were at near the border. The truck stopped at a warehouse. "This is as far as I come," the driver announced. "The border is not too far from here."

Ahmad and Gamal realized that it was the same place where they had gotten off the truck in this country. Thanking the driver and offering him fare for the journey, they got off. Now they had to get to the border and meet their escort there to help them crossover. Unfortunatly as they neared the border, they realized that the place was filled with police. There was no way they could go there without being caught. Hurrying back to the warehouse, they started contemplating how to get into the country without being caught. It was obvious they couldn't enter through the official way.

Muhaba
09-11-2013, 12:15 PM
Contacting the Red Fez, Ahmad told him about everything.

"Son," the Ref Fez said, "I'm afraid I cannot do anything. With so much police at the border from both countries, there is no way I can help you enter the country without being arrested. You'll have to find another way to enter."

Ahmad knew what that meant. He not only couldn't enter the country but also couldn't present himself in court. He was a wanted man and would immediately be put in jail should he do so.

"Seems we are stuck," he said to Gamal after the Red Fez hung up.

"What we need to do is somehow prove that Abu Isaiah is behind everything," Gamal said.

Ahmad nodded. "I need to get Great Uncle's diary. That may be the only way we can solve this."

"But for that you need to get inside the estate." Gamal said.

Ahmad nodded. "That's exactly what I need to do. Get inside and find the diary and the real map and key. How we're going to do that is what I don't know, seeing we can't even get into the country."

"Maybe we can get a ride from the truck driver. He seemed like a nice guy," Gamal suggested.

And so they decided to try to get the truck driver's help, to get them through the border somehow. They could only hope the driver would agree. It was a far-fetched plan but the only thing that seemed might work. And so they waited by the truck for him to come out.

Muhaba
09-14-2013, 08:06 PM
The Red Fez hung up the phone. He was sad he'd let down his late friend Borsilav but truth was he had lost trust in Borsilav's nephew, Grigor. After Ivan was found murdered, the Red Fez was starting to think Grigor might have a double personality. Though these were just his suspicions, he couldn't risk trusting Grigor until proen innocent. Too much was at stake. Red Fez understood that the right thing to do under the current circumstances was to get Grigor under police control. Whether Grigor was a criminal or a mental case as the allegations had stated, he couldn't be trusted. Red Fez thought that Ivan's death couldn't be a coincidence and he doubted that it was the work of any other than Grigor's. Who else could have done it? Even Sergie and ... hadn't known where he was and who he was with, as far as Red Fez knew.

Sighing, Red Fez picked up the phone and dialed the border police's number. "There is a chance Grigor may try entering the country. increase security and check every vehicle. If found, arrest him and bring him straight to capital police station. Make no mistake. The man may be armed and dangerous."

Ahmad and Gamal waited the whole day for the truck driver to arrive. Finally, they saw him leaving the main warehouse building in the early evening, though he didn't seem to be coming their way. Gamal didn't miss the chance. He strode quickly toward him. "We need to talk to you for a bit," he said when he reached him. The truck driver nodded and walked back with Gamal to where Ahmad stood.

"What's up?" he asked

Ahmad quickly filled him in about their situation and plan, something he'd rehearsed the whole day. He left information about the arrest or murder accusations. Many people crossed borders illegally and Ahmad made it sound like they were of those. He used Gamal's lack of a fresh visa as an excuse, making it seem that Ahmad and Gamal had to cross the border but since Gamal couldn't get a new visit visa except from Egypt, it was better for them to leave and enter the country unofficially. Their passports were shown as evidence. True enough, Ahmad had the country's passport and Gamal had a visitor visa valid for another two months. There was no exit stamp on either passport.
Ahmad offered to pay the driver a good amount of money. "It's less than what we spend if Gamal is to go back to Egypt, get a new visa and reenter the country," he said.

Convinced, the driver nodded. "Alright," he said. "But we can't enter from this border. Too much security. Rumor is that there's a drug dealer on the loose, trying to smuggle a large amount of illegal drugs. We'll take another route. Hop on, it'll take us a couple of hours to get there. Another group of trucks are set to go to Ukraine this coming Wednesday. If we join them, detection will be more difficult." He then went about, filling his truck with crates he had to deliver, while Ahmad and Gamal climbed into the truck and waited. After several hours, the driver climbed into the truck and started the engine. "And another thing," he said. "If we get caught, you don't know me and I don't know you."

Ahmad and Gamal nodded, promising not to disclose their agreement with the truck driver. In a few hours, they had reached the adjacent city. The driver stopped at a gas station where he filled the fuel tanks and got supplies for the road, getting a few cans and boxes of food for his passengers as well as several bottles of water. After praying their Fajr prayers and making lots of duas to make their journey safe, Ahmad and Gamal entered the back of the truck, carrying with them the supplies. They hid amongst the many crates and the driver closed the door behind them.

Gamal quickly took out his mobile phone and turned on the flashlight. The darkness was making him sick.

After a few minutes, the truck started. The rocking of the truck made them both fall asleep. Many hours later, Ahmad awoke, sweating and feeling claustrophobic. The truck seemed to be parked. Though dangerous, he quickly opened the door and climbed out, without fearing where they might be. Luckily, the truck was parked on a side road. The driver was standing beside it, smoking a cigar. "Thought I'd stop and take a break," he said when he saw Ahmad. Gamal also followed him out of the truck.

"Whew it was terribly hot in there." he said.

"In another few hours, we reach the border town where I'll park at a warehouse," the driver explained. "The next batch of trucks leaves on Wednesday. We wait until then."

Muhaba
10-02-2013, 07:36 PM
The day that they finally would go through the border arrived. It was a cool and clear day. Few clouds filled the sky. Ahmad was glad no rain was expected. The truck driver had removed the cover from above the truck, allowing light and fresh air to enter the truck. The truck was loaded with large carton boxes. Ahmad and Gamal would stay between the boxes until they crossed the border. Just after Fajr, they took their positions between the boxes their truck and a little while later, the long line of trucks started toward their destination.

After several hours of extreme fear and apprehension, the truck finally crossed into the country. It had been a long wait on the border, as security did random checks here and there. They looked inside Ahmad's truck as well but didn't go past the first few boxes. These drivers had a long history of honest dealings and were trusted by the border security, Ahmad learned from the driver. Checks were only done to fulfill necessary procedures and not really to search for anything.

A few hours later, the truck went off the main road onto a country road. Stopping for a bit, the driver motioned Ahmad and Gamal to come out. "We're safe now." the driver said. "You can take your place in the front for the rest of the ride."

Ahmad was glad for that. The back of the truck was very uncomfortable.

Once they reached the capital, Ahmad and Gamal got off the truck, paying and thanking the driver.

"Give me a call if you need a ride," the driver said. He saluted them and then drove off.

Ahmad and Gamal followed the familiar road to Ahmad's great Uncle's neighborhood. Fear was a constant companion of theirs as they made their way to Redwood Manor. Ahmad wondered how to enter the place. He was sure it would be secure with an electric alarm system. The security system was placed by his uncle but Abu Isaiah would no doubt have changed the passcode by now.

It was late night when A & G finally reached the road that led to the estate. Chilly wind blew and an owl hooted somewhere in the distance. Tree branches shook in the wind. The road was lined with huge oak trees. There was plenty of place to hide among the trees and shadows.

Reaching the edge of the estate, Ahmad stared at the place. It was as he had remembered. The walls of the main building were made of large stones. Paint was peeling from some walls but the place was in good condition. His great uncle had made sure the place was well taken care of. Thick wrought iron fence blocked entry onto the estate. To get in, Ahmad would have to climb the gate. It would be a risky job but he had no other way. He didn't think the access code he'd used years ago would still work. There was no other way into the estate. He hoped he could enter without the alarm sounding.

Muhaba
10-02-2013, 08:11 PM
A & G walked around the place looking for a safer entry point. They decided somewhere toward the back would be better. Climbing up over the fence in a place that was nearly dark, A & G jumped to the other side. To their great luck no alarm sounded.

A & G then started toward the main building, walking in the shadows as much as they could to keep from being detected. Ahmad hoped there were no cameras. He prayed the house was empty. Since Abu Isaiah wasn't aware that he'd entered the country, he might not be as cautious.

Together, A & G looked for some way into the building, an open door or window. Anything that would save them from requiring to use the access code. Ahmad was well aware of the alarm system that was maintained to keep trespassers out.

Muhammad
04-27-2014, 07:27 PM
Rosewood Manor seemed to be sleeping peacefully as Ahmed and Gamal moved about in the darkness. Guards were patrolling the road and manor gardens, so they needed to plan their steps carefully. They had checked every door and window on the ground floor, but there was no way in without activating the alarm. As they leaned against a wall, thinking, Ahmed suddenly remembered something Red Fez had told him.

'Listen to me, Grigor. The plane tickets are the most important item in that package. Your great-uncle told me about it before he died. They are crucial to finding the map and diary, as well as the key.'
Ahmed thought about the plane tickets.
'I thought they only contained a phone number?' asked Ahmed.
'Yes, mine,' replied Red Fez. 'But that's not all. Don't worry about that now...'
What had he meant about the plane tickets? He took them out and studied them near a porch light, whilst Gamal watched him with a puzzled expression. I thought they only contained a phone number? But that's not all... these words echoed in his mind. It struck him at last that the numbers along the bottom may contain a code to enter the house. By removing the phone number he had already used, the remaining digits and letters seemed plausible. Perhaps it was a code that could over-ride whatever passcode Abu Isaiah had set. It was risky, but they were running out of options as well as time. Gamal didn't like the idea but couldn't think of a better plan.

The main doors had too much security so the two of them went to a side door. Ahmed located the code panel. He nervously punched in the letters and numbers as written on the ticket and pressed the button. A green light appeared and they heard the door unlock. They looked at each other in surprise then pulled the door open and crept into the dark passage inside. The door locked with a click behind them.

As they stumbled along the narrow passage, they could hear creaking from the floor above. Were there guards inside the house too? Might they trigger an alarm? Ahmed could feel his heart pounding as he led Gamal further into the house, unsure of where he was going. He knew his great-uncle's library was on the first floor, but would the items they needed be hidden there? He thought back to distant memories of the house but couldn't think of any alternative place to check first. The two of them found the main staircase. The stairs were wide and led up to a small landing, from which another flight of stairs ascended in a different direction. They were half-way up when a voice spoke quietly from somewhere nearby. 'I'm going to get a sandwich.' Ahmed and Gamal froze.
'Alright, take your time,' whispered a second voice.

They heard footsteps coming towards the stairs. Immediately they pressed against the wall of the landing half-way up. A figure in the darkness swooped past them and was on the ground floor. He flicked on a small torch and was out of sight. The two boys waited. When it seemed the other man had moved further away, the continued upstairs.

They crept along a long passage and turned right. It was the door of the library. Ahmed again used the code to open the door and hurried inside with Gamal.

It was dark inside - even the curtains were drawn. Ahmed reached for a lamp in the corner and turned it on. The library was a mess - the place had been ransacked. He knew they didn't have much time before they were discovered.

'Quickly! See what you can find!' whispered Ahmed urgently. The diary and other items could be anywhere. Gamal began rummaging through the hundreds of books scattered across the floor. Ahmed searched anything remaining on the shelves.

Then Ahmed caught sight of the fireplace and remembered his great-uncle keeping things on the mantle and reading to Ahmed from books he would put there. Ahmed remembered how much he had loved sitting by that fireplace. Instinctively he knew there would be a clue there. There must be.

There wasn't much on the mantle of particular interest. The only thing that stood out was a compass mounted on the wall. Ahmed did not recognise it being there from before... something else used to be in its place. As he stared at it, suddenly it began spinning. Ahmed called over Gamal. The compass stopped with the arrow pointing directly upwards. Ahmed looked up and wondered whether there was a room above the library. He still couldn't work out how the compass moved... he wondered whether the magnetic strip of the plane ticket in his pocket had something to do with it.

The two of them managed to pull a near-empty bookcase by the fireplace and Ahmed climbed up whilst Gamal held it secure. There was nothing in the ceiling to indicate a door. But when Ahmed placed his hand there, a panel became loose and revealed a trapdoor. The space above was extremely small but Ahmed managed to squeeze into it. It appeared to be empty. After a thorough search, Ahmed noticed a logo on one wall - the same as he had seen on the plane ticket. He touched it and found another code panel. He once again entered the code from the ticket and a compartment opened, containing a package. Filled with excitement and anxiety, Ahmed opened it to find a map, a diary and a key.

Ahmed quickly clambered down as fast as he could, but didn't see Gamal. 'Gamal!' he whispered loudly. There was no reply. A voice near the library door made his blood curdle. 'If you want your friend to live, you will give me that package.'

A figure walked into the light, holding a gun to Gamal's head. 'Well, well, well. We meet at last, Grigor. I have been expecting you,' said Abu Isaiah with a cold smile.

Muhammad
05-09-2014, 07:04 PM
Ahmed remained frozen to his spot, too afraid to do anything. The package he and Gamal had worked so hard to retrieve was finally in his hands, now about to be lost again. Had Abu Isaiah been waiting for him all along to come and find the package for him? Ahmed felt foolish for not thinking about this earlier. His mind frantically tried to think of a way out of this, but there seemed to be none. Behind the two figures in front of him were others blocking the exit. He couldn't tell how many. In the background he could hear men outside in the gardens. There was the faint sound of a helicopter too - he couldn't be sure - probably further security on its way.

'I'm not going to say it again, Grigor. Give it here.' Abu Isaiah's voice cut through Ahmed's thoughts.
'This belongs to me, not you!' said Ahmed defiantly.
Abu Isaiah stared at Ahmed in fury. 'You impudent boy!' he spat, 'do you know how long I've waited to get my hands on that package? A worthless maggot like you will have no appreciation of what it's worth, nor do you deserve something so important!'
'You killed my uncle!' shouted Ahmed.
Abu Isaiah's expression changed and he laughed cruelly. 'Well, you'll have difficulty proving that, Grigor. I told you, I have waited a long time to get my hands on that package, and I'll do anything to get what I want. I'll kill you too if I have to, and your friend here,' he pressed the gun into Gamal's skull.

Ahmed thought about giving the package, but he didn't trust Abu Isaiah. He feared that any moment now, he and Gamal would be killed regardless of whether he held on to the package or whether he gave it up willfully. After all, as long as Ahmed was alive, the inheritance would be his right and so he would always pose a threat to Abu Isaiah. He became convinced that Abu Isaiah could not intend to let them leave alive. He no longer cared about the package but instead getting out of there alive. His eyes met Gamal's, which were filled with panic. The sweat on his friend's face was shining in the dim light. He prayed to Allah in his heart, desperately asking for a way out.

Not seeing any other way, Ahmed slowly walked towards Abu Isaiah. In his eyes, Ahmed saw only greed and evil. He handed the package reluctantly as Abu Isaiah snatched it.
'That wasn't so hard, was it?' he sneered. He put away his gun and turned to leave. 'Kill them.'

A surge of shock jolted Ahmed as he heard these words. The men by the exit raised their guns and pointed them at the two captives. Just as his life seemed about to end, everything went dark. For a moment Ahmed wondered if he had died but somehow he knew he hadn't.The lights had turned off everywhere so that it was pitch black. In the following confusion, he darted forward and held on to Gamal, and the two of them pushed past the grappling hands and voices by the exit to the library.

'What's going on?' called Abu Isaiah in the passage. His voice was very near. Ahmed leapt towards it and tried to grab the package, but Abu Isaiah fought him off. The two of them struggled against each other in the dark. Then Abu Isaiah bumped into Gamal, who managed to take hold of the package. 'I've got it Ahmed!' He rushed down the passage away from the scuffle. Ahmed managed to free himself from Abu Isaiah just as a wall lamp flickered on and the passage came into view. He dashed down the passage after Gamal but there was a deafening gunshot and his arm was instantly burning with extreme pain. He managed to keep running round the corner, ignoring the shouts and threats behind him. Guards were coming up from downstairs so the two of them could only go upwards.

Fear clenched their hearts and adrenaline filled their blood as they raced higher and higher up the stairs, not daring to look back. But it seemed their pursuers were gaining on them. Strangely, the house seemed to be filled with noise now. So much so, that Ahmed could scarely even hear his own panting for breath. They finally reached the highest door but it was locked. They pushed and barged against it but it was no use. Ahmed's arm was dripping with blood. Then a voice shouted from the other side.

'Stand back!'

They stood back and two gunshots were fired against the handle on the other side. The door swung open and there stood none other than Red Fez. Ahmed couldn't believe his eyes. Red Fez saw the men following up the stairs and fired gunshots to keep them back. Then he led Ahmed and Gamal onto the open roof where a helicopter had landed. The three of them raced across in the darkness towards its flashing lights and managed to clamber inside. As the helicopter began to ascend, gunshots were being fired from all angles. The pilot lost control and caused the helicopter to tilt onto its side, causing Gamal to slide across. Before Ahmed could grab him, he had already fallen out onto the roof. 'GAMAL!' cried Ahmed.

The helicopter turned around and began hovering towards Gamal, but the roof had begun filling with guards now. Any second now Gamal would be swamped by them. Ahmed leaned out and held out his hand. Red Fez was trying to pull Ahmed back. 'Grab my hand Gamal!' he called. Gamal had got to his feet, reached into his pocket, pulled out the package and threw it up to Ahmed who caught it. In the next moment, he was restrained by the men. 'GAMAL!' cried Ahmed. 'GAMAL!' The helicopter was under fire again and turned away.

'We have to get Gamal!' Ahmed screamed. 'GAMAL!' But it was no use. The helicopter had no choice but to drift away. And Ahmed was filled with agony not from his wounded arm, but from the horror of leaving his dear friend behind all alone in that house.

Muhammad
05-11-2014, 06:18 PM
When Ahmed opened his eyes, everything was a blur. He lay still for a moment, not remembering anything. When he tried to get up, a searing pain shot through his arm. A hand gently pushed him back. 'You need to rest.' The voices in the background phased out as Ahmed became unconscious again.

When he finally awoke again, he saw that he was lying on a bed in a dimly lit room. The window opposite him looked out onto a starry sky. How long had he been out? Beside him was a tall, slim figure. There were a couple of other shadows in the room. Slowly, images of what had transpired rapidly returned. He remembered journeying to Rosewood Manor. He remembered finding the package. He remembered Gamal. 'Gamal!' he said aloud without realising.

The other figures stirred. The figure closest to him spoke. 'Ahmed, you're awake!' Ahmed recognised it as belonging to Jasem.
'Jasem?'
'Yes Ahmed, it's me. Ali and Abu Hasan are here too.' The other figures came closer and Ahmed saw that it was indeed his friends.
'Where am I?' asked Ahmed. The pain in his arm stopped him from getting up.
'We're in a safe house. Red Fez brought us here...'
'Red Fez?' frowned Ahmed. Now he remembered meeting him too. How had everyone managed to find him? He looked around and noticed his uncle’s package on a small table beside the bed.

Just then, the door opened. A woman came in carrying tea and some sandwiches for Ahmed. 'You're awake at last,' she said, smiling.
Ahmed was not so pleased. 'Georgi? What are you doing here?’
'There's lots to explain Ahmed. Here, eat your food first.’

Ahmed took the tray from her and gulped down the painkillers that were on there. Another person walked through the door. Red Fez. 'Grigor! How are you feeling?’'
‘Better…... but how did you all find me? And Georgi…?’ began Ahmed.

‘Let me explain,’ said Red Fez. ‘Some time after you phoned me from the border, Georgi testified to the police that you and your friends were innocent. It was very brave of her to risk her life like that, and thankfully I managed to get to her before anyone else could. Georgi had an idea where to find the rest of your friends, and we managed to make contact and group here. I suspected you’d try to reach Rosewood Manor, and I barely made it in time to get you out of there…’

Ahmed listened to all this as he ate his food and sipped his tea. But something wasn’t making sense. ‘But you told me she is the one who told Abu Isaiah about me, and also helped him recruit Boris and Sergei to come after me...… and she made that stone...…’

‘Yes, Ahmed, I regret that I did,’ replied Georgi. ‘Initially I hated you after the time you left me in Romania. Abu Isaiah took advantage of this and used me to get information about you after I let slip one or two things. I didn’t mean to let any harm come to you, I promise. He tricked me into telling him more. But I didn’t make the stone, Ahmed. Abu Isaiah tried to force me to make it, but I refused. In the end, he had someone else prepare it and place it on Ahmed.’

Ahmed thought back to the amulet. He wasn’t sure if his friends had told him about that already.

‘After I met Georgi, she ran away out of fear,’ said Ali. ‘But she told me about the stone and together we’ve finally destroyed it. You might have noticed less blackouts and flashbacks?’'

Ahmed agreed this was true. He hadn’t had one of his nightmares or flashbacks for a while now. He finished his food, deep in thought. He couldn’t stop thinking about Gamal. ‘What are we going to do about Gamal?’ he said at last.

Muhaba
06-03-2014, 11:30 AM
‘Ahmad, Ahmad.’
Someone was shaking him. Ahmad’s head was throbbing with pain. It seemed he’d been hit on the head. Ahmad’s eyes opened and he managed to look up. He was lying on a hard wooden floor. Gamal was seated beside him.

‘Gamal!’ Ahmad cried out in happiness. ‘You’re alive. How’s you get away?’ But there was no smile on Gamal’s face. His face was as grim as never.

‘What’s going on?’ Ahmad asked looking around and trying to figure out where they were. ‘We’re safe aren’t we? Last thing I remember, we got away in the helicopter.’ He didn’t elaborate that Gamal hadn’t been able to escape; He’d fallen out.
Ahmad sat up and looked around, trying to figure out what was going on. Where were his other friends? He looked at his arm, which was no longer bleeding or hurting. And then it dawned on him. None of that had ever happened. They had never escaped.

Looking at Gamal’s grim face, he said slowly, ‘We’re still in Redwood Manor, aren’t we?’ He looked around at the tiny darkly-lit room with no windows, probably somewhere in the celler.

‘Don’t know why you think otherwise,’ Gamal said sadly.

Ahmad tried to explain what he could recall. He told Gamal about getting away in the helicopter.

‘An unconscious dream,’ Gamal replied. ‘Or wishful thinking. Nothing is resolved that easily.’

‘So what really happened?’ Ahmad said.

Gamal started to explain, ‘Abu Isaiah is a smart man. I think he had planned it all along. I am unsure what happened but I think some form of gas was used to make us unconscious while he inspected the package. We both fell and you hit your head against a wall. When I awoke, we were both lying here. A while later Abu Isaiah came. Apparently, the package is in a metallic box that can only be opened with a code. It’s possible that trying to break the box will cause it to self-destruct. Your uncle went to great extents to safeguard the contents. Abu Isaiah wants you to open the package.’

Ahmad nodded. It made perfect sense. So now they had a chance. But what could they do to have Abu Isaiah let them off.

A moment later, Abu Isaiah entered holding the metallic box. ‘Looks like we have a problem,’ he said. ‘You need to tell me the code to open this box.’

‘I don’t have it,’ Ahmad said.

‘Of course you do. Just as you had the pass code for the house,’ Abu Isaiah sputtered.

‘I lived here for years. Of course I had the passcode to enter the house. But I didn’t have access to that package until now,’ Ahmad tried to convince him. ‘I don’t know how to open it.’

‘Your uncle must have given it to you,’ Abu Isaiah said. ‘You must have it.’

‘He sent me some things but they are in Egypt. There was a letter. Maybe it has it. I didn’t get a chance to look through everything he sent,’ Ahmad said.

‘You’re lying. Look Ahmad, I don’t have much patience. Give it to me or you’re both dead,’ Abu Isaiah said.

‘Have it your way,’ Ahmad challenged. You could take the package from me by force but there is no way you can get the code from me. Go ahead and kill me.’

Abu Isaiah’s face reddened and in a split second, he rushed toward Ahmad and punched him in the mouth. Ahmad’s mouth started bleeding. Ahmad wiped the blood off with his sleeve while Gamal stood and tried to defend Ahmad, pulling Abu Isaiah away from Ahmad.

Abu Isaiah pushed Gamal away. ‘Get away from me.’ He held his gun toward Gamal. Gamal backed off.

Just then the door opened. A servant stood in the doorway. ‘Phone call, boss,’ he said.

‘Can’t you see I am busy,’ Abu Isaiah yelled, turning around.

‘It’s your cousin from Egypt,’ the servant said. ‘She says it’s important and urgent.’

Abu Isaiah grabbed the phone from the servant and went out. A few minutes Abu Isaiah reentered. ‘Fine,’ he said sternly, ‘I won’t kill you. But if you don’t tell me the code, you’ll stay here forever.’ And then he left, closing the door behind him.

‘Well, what are we going to do to get out of here,’ Gamal said. ‘Looks like we are in a fix.’

Muhammad
06-08-2014, 07:47 PM
Ahmed sat, confused. Had he been simply dreaming about meeting the rest of his friends and Georgi? It had seemed so real. He didn't know what to think about Georgi anymore. She had just phoned Abu Isaiah but after her phonecall, Abu Isaiah seemed to have calmed down and agreed not to kill Ahmed. There was still a chance she might be on Ahmed's side. Gamal bent down next to Ahmed and handed him a tissue to help clean the blood around his mouth. Ahmed remained deep in thought. If Georgi had told Abu Isaiah not to kill Ahmed, then that would mean she knew he and Gamal were in this house. If she really was on his side, she might send help. But all this seemed like wishful thinking, nothing more. He didn't want to bother Gamal with it and get his hopes up, as none of it might be true.

However, Ahmed realised that something from his dream was true. He hadn't had his blackouts for some time now. Perhaps his friends really had managed to destroy the stone, whatever that was. Might other parts of his dream also be true... might Georgi testify to their innocence?

Somewhere thousands of miles away, in a dusty farm some twenty miles from Cairo, Jasem, Ali and Abu Hasan were working.
'My parents are going to the city tomorrow so we need to finish picking the rest of these crops by then,' Abu Hasan was saying.
'There's plenty of time, we'll get it done In sha Allah,' said Jasem.
'Can we take a break,' said Ali, wiping sweat from his forehead. 'I'm exhausted and my back's aching!'

The three of them sat down on a mat laid out near the stream and helped themselves to some cool water and dates. After a short while, Ali's phone began to ring. His phone hadn't rang in a long time so he was anxious who it could be. The other two looked in his direction as he answered.
'Hello?'
'Hello,' came the reply. It was a woman's voice. 'Is this Ahmed's friend?'
'Yes, who is this?'
'Georgi. We need to meet.'
Ali looked at the others in surprise. 'Err, OK, sure. Where?'
'There's a tour operator in Luxor called Fadil. Find him and join his tour starting the day after tomorrow. Make sure you are not followed.'
'But how will you - hello?' The call had cut off.

Ali looked at the others with a puzzled expression and told them what he had been told.
'It's clearly a trap,' said Jasem. 'You'd be stupid to go.'
'It does sound very suspicious,' agreed Abu Hasan. 'But we've heard no news from Ahmed or Gamal for a week and this might be our only way of getting more info.'
'Luxor's quite far from here,' said Ali to himself.
'Ali? Are you listening to us?' said Jasem.
'I know it's risky but it's like Abu Hasan said - there's no other option,' said Ali. 'We have to try.'
Jasem got up angrily and paced around the mat. A few minutes of silence passed.

'If you did go,' said Abu Hasan, 'you could get a ride to the city on my parents' cart and then...'
'But how am I supposed to get to Luxor within a day?'
His eyes met with Jasem's. 'We'd have to take the overnight train,' he said quietly.
'We?' Ali repeated.
'You think I'd let you go alone?' replied Jasem.
Ali felt a wave of relief and excitement.
'It's going to be riddled with danger at every step,' said Jasem, 'and most likely there's traps involved, but I'm willing to do it if it's the only way to help Ahmed.'
'I'm in too,' said Abu Hasan.
'No, we can't all go, it isn't safe,' said Jasem. 'We need someone to contact at base if something goes wrong. Besides, your parents will need your help at the market.'
Abu Hasan looked disappointed, but he agreed it was better to stay behind.
'So we leave tomorrow...?' asked Ali.
'They'll be leaving from here at dawn,' said Abu Hasan. 'We'd better start making our provisions now.'
'Let's get the work finished as fast as we can,' said Jasem.

The three of them got up with renewed purpose and began working more efficiently into the late afternoon. A dangerous journey lay ahead of them and each was wondering whether they would make it through safely.

Muhaba
06-13-2014, 07:06 PM
Abu Isaiah stared at the black box. So close and still so far. There was no way that he could get it open. If he tried to break it, it would no doubt self-destruct. What could he do?

Just then the phone rang. Looking at the screen, Abu saw it was his cousin from Egypt. The minute he answered it, her saucy voice spoke without even waiting for him to say hello, "I have a plan, Abu Isaiah. Give the box to Ahmad and let him go. He'll open it and get the map and try to get where the map leads and you can follow him."

"That is about the most absurd plan I've ever heard," Abu Isaiah yelled. "Whose side are you on anyway?"

"Look, if you have a better plan, then use it. I see no other way to get Ahmad to give you the contents of the box," Georgi said.

Abu Isaiah sighed. She was right. But he wasn't going to go with her plan all along. He would make sure that there was a way to make sure Ahmad stayed within reach. And he knew just how to do it.

"All right," Abu Isaiah said to Georgi, "I'll go along with the plan. But i can't let Ahmad think we're setting him up. So give me ideas of how he can escape."

"I think I know just the thing. I will have to testify to Ahmad's innocence and let the Red Fez come to his rescue. He will do it when he realizes Ahmad is innocent. How you let the box get into Ahmad's hands is your responsibility," Georgi said.

Abu Isaiah didn't like the way the scheme was developing. There was a big chance he would lose his chance at getting the contents of the box and the map to the lost palace. But there was nothing else he could do. And so he agreed with whatever Georgi suggested.

Muhaba
06-13-2014, 07:39 PM
Ahmad sat staring at the door. He must have been staring at it so long that Gamal jerked him. "What are you doing? trying to cast a spell - or open it with mind power?" Gamal asked with half a laugh.

"Just thinking," Ahmad said. No need for Gamal to know that opening that door was a piece of cake. Ahmad was a skilled lock-picker. Opening the door wasn't their biggest problem. There were guards everywhere in the house. Getting out of the house and then the estate was a bigger problem than opening the door.

Just then Ahmad's phone rang, surprising him. He looked at the screen and saw that it was from Egypt. He quickly answered it, hoping for good news. Jasem's voice came from the other end. "Assalamoalaykum Ahmad, how good to hear your voice," Jasem said.

"Alhamdullillah, Jasem, where did you find my number after so long?"

"Long story," Jasem said, "bottom line is that the Red Fez has learned of your innocence and will try to come to your rescue. I don't have all the details but I know he will try to come in his helicopter sometime tonight, so you need to get to the roof as soon as you can."

"That's great, but i don't have the box," Ahmad said.

"Look Ahmad, I think you should be more worried about your life." Jasem said in an irritating manner.

Ahmad knew he was right, but it was a difficult thing to leave the box. Maybe he could try to steal it on his way to the roof. Agreeing to the plan, Ahmad hung up.

"How exactly are we going to get to the roof if we can't get out of this room," Gamal said.

"I think I know a way," Ahmad said, going to the door. He took out his keychain with its multi gadgets attached and opened the tiny nailcutter. In a few seconds, the lock clicked and the door unlocked. Opening the door slightly, Ahmad saw that the hallway was dark and noone seemed to be around. The two quickly went out and Ahmad closed the door again.

"Do you know the way to the roof," Gamal asked, his voice shuddering with fear.

"Yes," Ahmad said, "But first we go to Abu Isaiah's chamber and try to find the box."

"That is very risky," Gamal said but continued to follow Ahmad quietly as he went through the winding pathways and staircases in the large estate. Finally, they came to a large door. Ahmad turned the knob and was surprised to see that the door was open. he hoped this wasn't some trap. Surely his friend wouldn't trick him, would he?

Walking into the large anteroom, Ahmad looked around in the dim light for the entrance to Abu's bedroom. surely, the box would be there somewhere. Hopefully, Abu was out at this time of the night or fast asleep. hopefully he wasn't in his room awake. Ahmad knew of Abu's habits. He wasn't the sort to stay up at night; he preferred to wake up early and was an avid morning reader.

Following on that, Ahmad boldly but quietly entered Abu's bedroom. He scanned the room in the dim light and when he saw that it was empty, he turned on the light.

"Ahmad, look!" Gamal exclaimed. There on the side table next to the bedside lamp was the shiny box.

Muhaba
06-13-2014, 07:41 PM
Just as Ahmad was about to reach for the box, the door that led to the hallway opened.
'What's going on?' called Abu Isaiah in the passage. His voice was very near. Ahmed leapt towards it and tried to grab the package, but Abu Isaiah fought him off. The two of them struggled against each other in the dark. Then Abu Isaiah bumped into Gamal, who managed to take hold of the package. 'I've got it Ahmed!' He rushed down the passage away from the scuffle. Ahmed managed to free himself from Abu Isaiah just as a wall lamp flickered on and the passage came into view. He dashed down the passage after Gamal but there was a deafening gunshot and his arm was instantly burning with extreme pain. He managed to keep running round the corner, ignoring the shouts and threats behind him. Guards were coming up from downstairs so the two of them could only go upwards.

Fear clenched their hearts and adrenaline filled their blood as they raced higher and higher up the stairs, not daring to look back. But it seemed their pursuers were gaining on them. Strangely, the house seemed to be filled with noise now. So much so, that Ahmed could scarely even hear his own panting for breath. They finally reached the highest door but it was locked. They pushed and barged against it but it was no use. Ahmed's arm was dripping with blood. Then a voice shouted from the other side.

'Stand back!'

They stood back and two gunshots were fired against the handle on the other side. The door swung open and there stood none other than Red Fez. Ahmed couldn't believe his eyes. Red Fez saw the men following up the stairs and fired gunshots to keep them back. Then he led Ahmed and Gamal onto the open roof where a helicopter had landed. The three of them raced across in the darkness towards its flashing lights and managed to clamber inside. As the helicopter began to ascend, gunshots were being fired from all angles. The pilot lost control and caused the helicopter to tilt onto its side, causing Gamal to slide across. Before Ahmed could grab him, he had already fallen out onto the roof. 'GAMAL!' cried Ahmed.

The helicopter turned around and began hovering towards Gamal, but the roof had begun filling with guards now. Any second now Gamal would be swamped by them. Ahmed leaned out and held out his hand. Red Fez was trying to pull Ahmed back. 'Grab my hand Gamal!' he called. Gamal had got to his feet, reached into his pocket, pulled out the package and threw it up to Ahmed who caught it. In the next moment, he was restrained by the men. 'GAMAL!' cried Ahmed. 'GAMAL!' The helicopter was under fire again and turned away.

'We have to get Gamal!' Ahmed screamed. 'GAMAL!' But it was no use. The helicopter had no choice but to drift away. And Ahmed was filled with agony not from his wounded arm, but from the horror of leaving his dear friend behind all alone in that house.

Muhammad
06-15-2014, 12:29 AM
The sun was high in the sky by the time the stall had been set up in the Cairo market. Abu Hasan and his parents, with the help of Jasem and Ali, were busy selling goods and replenishing stock from the cart. The morning went quickly and it was soon mid-afternoon. 'You two had better get going,' Abu Hasan came and said. 'Here's a little something my parents put together. I told them you'd be going away.' He handed them a basket of food for their journey. Jasem and Ali thanked Abu Hasan and his parents for their hospitality and help, and felt sad to be leaving them.

After they had bought a few supplies for their journey, made a few enquiries and bought the train tickets, they made their way to the station. They waited in a quiet corner in the cool evening air for their train to be ready for departure.
'How did she get your number by the way?' Jasem asked, examining the many windows on the station roof.
'Who? Oh, I gave it to her when I went to find her,' replied Ali. 'I thought she might need to contact me in case she agreed to testify...'
'You're so naive. Anyway you know what Ahmed said about not trusting her... I really feel uncomfortable about this whole thing.'
'Me too,' said Ali. 'In-sha-Allah we will be OK. Any news about Ahmed?'
'He's with Red Fez and still recovering. I feel so sorry about Gamal...'
'Yeah. Once we're done with this let's go and find Ahmed. Maybe we can think of a way to rescue Gamal.'

'I'm looking for the ticket booth for the Watania train,' a croaky voice said. They both looked up in surprise to find an elderly man stood over them.
'It's on the opposite side of the station, sir,' said Ali, pointing in the direction.
'Thank you, son.' The man left.

An hour later, the station had become much busier and people were boarding the train. As Ali and Jasem made their way to their cabin, they bumped into the old man again. 'Hello again,' he smiled cordially. 'Hello,' Jasem and Ali smiled back. He entered into the cabin adjacent to theirs.

The cabins were a decent size, enough for two people. A connecting door lead into adjacent cabins. The two of them stowed away their luggage and sat down. Soon it was time for dinner and all the passengers entered the dining wagon in the middle of the train. They spoke little and ate their food quickly. As Ali pulled his chair out to get up, he accidentally bumped it against the person behind him. When he apologised, he realised it was the old man.

They were the first passengers to exit the dining area. As they arrived in their wagon, they noticed someone coming out of their cabin and sharply going into the next wagon. They exchanged looks and hurried towards their cabin. 'Check our things,' said Jasem, as he went into the next wagon. Ali entered their cabin and found their luggage had been tampered with. Someone had been going through their bags and hastily tried to close them, but didn't finish properly. Jasem returned ten minutes later. 'Nothing... I couldn't find him! Did you get a proper glimpse of him?'
Ali shook his head. He was checking the last bag. 'I don't notice anything missing. But we didn't keep anything valuable in there anyway.'
'What could they be looking for?' said Jasem. 'I don't understand. We're not safe here... and that old man, there's something suspicious about him.'
'I was about to say that too,' agreed Ali. 'But we're stuck on here for the next eight hours!'
'We're going to have to take it in turns to stay awake,' suggested Jasem. 'I'm not having anyone sneaking around while we're asleep.'
'They must have locks on these doors, no?'
'Of course they do, but do you think that's going to stop whoever it is from trying to get in here if they want?'
'You're right,' said Ali glumly.
'I'll do the first half of the night, you can do the second half,' said Jasem.

Ali lay on the bed that had now been pulled out of the wall. They had only been in the train for an hour or so, and already they were having problems. What else might happen in the night? He was almost too afraid to go to sleep in case something happened. But the busy day that had transpired, the rocking movements of the train and the rhythm of its sound made him feel more sleepy than ever and he didn't realise how quickly he drifted off.

Muhaba
06-21-2014, 05:32 PM
Ahmad rested his head. He was tired and feeling terrible. After a few moments, his friends got up and went out, leaving him alone with the box. He lay thinking for a long time. Then raised his head and stared at the box. It lay on the side post, still closed. Ahmad was starting to hate it. A terrible thought lingered in the back of his head, but he wouldn't let it surface. He just hoped Gamal was all right. He hoped Abu Isaiah hadn't harmed him. Oh God, thought Ahmad, what if?

Ahmad's head went dizzy and he lay back. He felt nauseous at the thought of what might have happened to Gamal. would Gamal make it alive? Would he escape? Without the skills that Ahmad had, he found it hard to believe Gamal would be able to escape on his own.

Just then the door opened and his friends entered along with Georgi and Gamal. Ahmad raised his head and wondered if he was seeing things. It couldn't be.

Ahmad jumped up, "Gamal!" he exclaimed. "How'd you escape?" Ahmad hugged Gamal. "How'd you get away?"

Gamal sat down. "Ahmad, are you all right? How's your injury?"

"Forget about me." Ahmad said. "How'd you get away? Do tell." Ahmad just couldn't believe it. How could all this end up so well? What had happened here?

Gamal sighed. "Well, it seems that there was a threat. Georgi called Abu and told him you'd threatened to destroy the contents of the box if I wasn't let go." Gamal laughed. "The man is totally crazy. He's got treasure fever. He went crazy and promised to let me go immediately and even had me transported to the airport. Jasem and Ali had met up with Georgi and they booked the ticket for me.

Ahmad laughed. Wow. This was so great. He looked at the box. He had the box finally and all his friends were all right. And he even had proof Georgi was on their side. "I'm grateful to you, Georgi." Ahmad said.

"It is all right," Georgi said. "It was my obligation. Some of this was my fault so it was my job to undo the damages. I must go now. Take care," Georgi said. And then without another word, the Gypsy lady left.

"So, Ahmad," Ali said with a smile, "Are you going to keep us in suspense forever. Open the box already. Let's see the prize."

Ahmad laughed. He was so happy. Everything had turned all right. He reached up for the box and entering the code from the plane tickets, he opened the box. Inside lay a few papers, a map, and a diary. Ahmad took out the diary and opened it. A brown manila envelope lay inside with his uncle's handwritten words "From your uncle, to Gregor." Ahmad felt sad at seeing his late great uncle's handwriting. Opening the enevelop, Ahmad read the handwritten letter inside. "Dear Gregor, I hope you are reading this in good health and spirits and all is well with you. I am aware of the enemies and the trouble you no doubt incurred. The contents of the box re very important, Gregor. The map and the key are valuable. It is for this reason that Abu Isaiah has been trying for decades to get his hands on it. For years I researched the lost civilization and it took many long years to learn of its exact location. I have written the details in the diary. The map by itself is useless because it can't be decoded. However, the instructions in the diary provide the clues to decode it and know the location. Gregor, with a trustable company, you must go and find the lost palace. The key is to the door in the palace. It is believed tht the palace holds many riches and ancient artifacts. Gregor, this will be the greatest archaelogical discovery in history. It is your job to find it Gregor. I leave this up to you. May you do so with ease and may it bring you much prosperity. Signed, Your dear uncle, X"

Ahmad, read the letter several times.

"What does it say, Ahmad" Ali asked.

Ahmad looked up. His eyes were dazed with the mysticism of the whole thing. "We must go on an expedition, find the lost palace."

The whole room turned silent. They all had known this was coming. it was very perplexing, very mysterious. Ahmad reached for the map and unfolded the large folded paper. It was a map of the Arabian Peninsula. He laid the map out on the bed and started studying it. It was indeed very confusing. There were numbers written here and there and Xs placed in various places, with dotted lines connecting the various Xs. At the top were some hieroglyphics that Ahmad couldn't decipher. Just by looking at the map, it was obvious one couldn't know the location of the lost civilization. How his uncle had done it was a mystery. It was obvious his uncle had researched this a lot.

His friends were also perplexed by the map. They were bent over it, studying it. Ahmad took hold of the diary and started flipping through it. It had entries of various things that had happened in the lifetime of his uncle and Ahmad wondered where he'd find the points that would help him figure out the map. flipping through the diary a few pages, Ahmad wondered if this was even th correct diary. The points about the map weren't glaringly clear. It was obvious he'd have to read the diary from beginning to end and then he might find something. he hoped he was right. He hoped that in his great uncle's old age, he hadn't mixed up the diaries and put the wrong one in the box.

Muhaba
06-25-2014, 11:23 AM
"I will keep you updated about their travel plans," Georgi promised Abu Isaiah. "I have a friend working in Cairo airport. He will inform me about Ahmad's movements. As soon as I hear from him, I will send the information to you."

"All right," Abu replied. "Don't fail me."

Georgi hung up the phone. And then laughed. She would keep her promise true to Abu. If she ever received word from her informant, she would let Abu know. But she would never receive any information from him. Reason was she had already informed Ali and Jasem that it was dangerous to leave the country through Cairo airport because of Abu Isaiah's contacts with people there. Ahmad would be using a different exit from the country.

Abu Isaiah smiled. Ahmad would never be able to get to the lost civilization without him knowing. Abu didn't rely on Georgi for Ahmad's wherabouts; he had lost trust in her and could see signs that she was a traitor. She cared about Ahmad too much. So Abu Isaiah had resorted to more reliable means. He'd embedded a chip under Gamal's skin while he was out. Gamal didn't know about it but Abu could clearly know exactly where he was at any time. He just hoped that Gamal accompanied Ahmad on the trip and he was sure that he would. Abu Isaiah laughed in triumph. Soon, Ahmad would lead him to the lost treasure! Abu picked his phone and called his security chief. "Stand ready for a trip to the deserts of Oman. The treasure of Irum will soon be ours!"

Muhammad
06-25-2014, 08:14 PM
In the days that followed, the four friends, Ahmed, Gamal, Jasem and Ali, began planning their new journey. They spend many hours scouring the markets and small shops for important items they would need on their travels. They had made a list of everything they might need and had divided the items to obtain between them. From ropes and torches, magnifying glasses and hieroglyphics translation charts, to compasses and maps, survival kits and first aid... they had exhausted their minds in thinking of all possibilities. They spent long nights planning their journey to Oman, taking great care to avoid anyone discovering it. Even Georgi had warned them to limit their contact with her because Abu Isaiah would no doubt have her under surveillance. The only person they had consulted about certain aspects of their travel was Red Fez. His expert advice was invaluable to best decide how to keep a low profile and choose the safest modes of travel. He was also able to provide some specialist tools for searching and communication. Still, Ahmed was careful to avoid divulging too much information to anyone.

On the eve of their departure, the four friends were sat in a deserted mud hut somewhere on the outskirts of Cairo, packing their things and going over the details one last time. ‘Red Fez said he’ll keep us informed of any new developments in Egypt,’ Ahmed was saying. ‘He said to use him as a point of contact in an emergency, but we need to try and keep off the main networks.’
‘So Abu Hasan definitely isn’t coming?’ asked Jasem.
‘Nope. He’s needed on his parents farm,’ replied Ahmed. ‘We can contact him also if we need him.’
‘We’re leaving after Fajr?’ asked Ali.
‘Yes,’ replied Ahmed. ‘We’d better get some rest.’

They had little sleep that night as their minds could not stop ruminating over the events to follow. They had barely fallen asleep when light began to appear and it was time to get up and pray. They had a quick breakfast then left the house with loaded rucksacks on their backs. Cairo was still sleeping as they made their way through it, and they wondered how long it would be, if ever, before they would see it again.

The bus journey to Sharm El-Sheikh was very uncomfortable. It took seven hours along the dusty, bumpy roads and the heat was almost unbearable. They slept for half the journey and were restless in the other half. Finally, they reached the port and were soon boarding their ship. The remainder of the journey would hopefully be more comfortable with the cool breezes of the sea.

After lunch, in the privacy of their cabin, they took out the map and diary and set to work deciphering more. Papers, compasses, maps and charts littered the whole room as they worked. It was a ten day cruise from Sharm El-Sheikh to Safaga, Dijibouti and finally the port of Salalah in Oman. Ten days seemed a long time at first, but when they saw how much work needed doing, it seemed so little. They were sure Abu Isaiah would not be expecting them to travel by sea. Little did they know, however, that the chip in Gamal's arm meant their pursuers were very close indeed.

Muhaba
07-30-2014, 08:29 PM
They stayed at an inn to decode the map. Ahmad and his companions wrote bits of hints in a notebook and tried to put the pieces together. It took almost a year to get it all completed. Finally, they had figured out both the supposed location of the place and that the lost palace had long been buried under sand. They would have to excavate the place to find it. It was a difficult task and they wondered how Ahmad's uncle had figured all of it out. It seemed he had visited the area but due to health and other obligations, he hadn't been able to complete the work.

Muhaba
03-29-2015, 11:18 AM
Bump...

Muhammad
04-26-2015, 02:32 PM
In the south-western corner of Oman, the four friends had set up camp deep inside the Rub' Al-Khali, or Empty Quarter, one of the world's most largest and famous deserts, stretching northwards into Saudi Arabia, Yemen and up into the western UAE. It was a sea of wind-swept dunes and a place of Bedouin culture, giving a sense of its traditional charm and ancient soul.

It had been nine months during which they travelled to and from various districts gathering supplies and information, whilst supervising the major excavation work in the desert. A large palace had been uncovered, with thick walls one hundred feet high and pillars and ornate archways along its walls. Ahmed was standing on the edge of a rocky elevation gazing out at the excavation and watching Ali haggling over wages with the chief labourer. Jasem and Gamal arrived on camels, returning from the city with fresh supplies.

'Assalamu alaykum Ahmed,' they said.
'Wa Alaykum Assalam!' replied Ahmed, turning round. 'How was your trip to the city?'
'Hot!' said Gamal, dismounting with sweat pouring down his forehead.
'It was nice to have a break from the desert, though,' said Jasem, smiling. 'How's the work coming along? They've made good progress!'
'Yes,' said Ahmed. 'They've found the entrance at last. I think we can plan to enter tomorrow morning In sha Allah.'
'Tomorrow? Really?' asked Gamal, excited.
'Yes,' smiled Ali walking towards them. 'I've been really pushing the workers and I'm confident we can finally go in tomorrow In sha Allah.'

The four of them unloaded the supplies into their camp and set about preparing their rucksacks and supplies for the journey into the lost palace. They could hardly believe the moment had come at last, after all those months of searching and waiting. They remembered when they first entered Oman and how strange the place seemed. They didn't know where to start. And now the place was like home and the workers were all familiar faces.

They had an early breakfast in the cool morning air and equipped themselves with the final provisions. Ahmed was sure to take the map, key and diary with him. There were still a few pages of the diary left which would give important information about the inside of the palace. They climbed down the sandy ditch as most of the workers lay asleep nearby. Most of the palace still seemed to be buried underground.

They ascended the stairs slowly towards the entrance, staring at the exquisite design of the palace in front of them. They walked under the archway and pushed open the door. It was a very heavy door and creaked open very slowly, requiring all four of them to force it.

Muhaba
07-20-2015, 04:46 PM
Using the secret key to open the door , they thought they would enter the main hall but it seemed they were only inside a small entrance hallway that led to more stairs. Using flashlights, the made there way down the longwinded staircase until finally they reached an open lounge area. By then they were sure they were several stories underground.
Wow. Look at this place, Gamal exclaimed pointing his flashlight at the walls. The place had been carved with the most intricate designs and there were artifacts hoisted on posts everywhere. No doubt, this was the discovery of the century. They gad not seen anything like it in any museum before.

As the others examined the place, Ahmed looked through the diary to get some direction. From the various notes this great father wrote, it seemed they had to find a particular room.

I wonder what it holds, Jasem said.

Something very precious no doubt, Ali sai excitedly. If it's more important than this stuff, then it must be something.

Ok let's go, Ahmed said. We walk until we find the sunsign. We can explore on the way.

Sunsign? What's that?

I think a hole that let's sunshine enter.

And so they started going farther into the humongous palace. The place was so big that it might take days to explore.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!