/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Very confused right now...

Robert
05-24-2010, 06:38 AM
I was born into a Christian family in England. Not a very religious one at all, I only went to church for about 4 years before just becoming bored of it, Christianity never made much sense to me really. I guess that was the point where I started to become an Atheist, more of an Agnostic at the time actually. I officially gave up on religion a couple of years ago.

Recently however I've been researching about Islam, and it just...feels like the only religion that makes sense to me. At the same time however, I'm not really sure. I don't want to devote my life to something if there's a possibility it could have all been for nothing, but I don't want to ignore it if there's a possibility it could be the truth. And another thing, I'm still quite young at the moment. I don't know how I would be able to fit Islam into my life without having to make it extremely obvious to everyone else, and in a way I just feel like....I'm not quite ready to make such a sudden change in my life.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Seeker1066
05-25-2010, 03:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Robert
I was born into a Christian family in England. Not a very religious one at all, I only went to church for about 4 years before just becoming bored of it, Christianity never made much sense to me really. I guess that was the point where I started to become an Atheist, more of an Agnostic at the time actually. I officially gave up on religion a couple of years ago.

Recently however I've been researching about Islam, and it just...feels like the only religion that makes sense to me. At the same time however, I'm not really sure. I don't want to devote my life to something if there's a possibility it could have all been for nothing, but I don't want to ignore it if there's a possibility it could be the truth. And another thing, I'm still quite young at the moment. I don't know how I would be able to fit Islam into my life without having to make it extremely obvious to everyone else, and in a way I just feel like....I'm not quite ready to make such a sudden change in my life.
Welcome to the official IB Islamic Forum Seekers Club. Look, read and ask. God will speak to you in his own way. Don't worry about what will happen if??? First seek Truth. If Truth leads you to embrace Islam than you will be ready to face those challenges. "There is no Compulsion in Religion". So welcome and learn.

Peace to all

Khalil_Allah
05-27-2010, 02:53 PM
Hey Robert! I'm a white American revert. I've been through what you're experiencing, but I took a different route. I had been searching diligently through different religions. I focused on Christianity, naturally, but could not make rational sense of certain aspects of the belief system. When I perceived the "sense" of Islam, the rationality of it all, I just dived in.

I come from a drinking, partying, "all-american" family. I'm not kidding when I tell you that turning to Islam for me, in my situation, was possibly the weirdest thing I could have done. All of my family and all of my friends knew me as a certain type of person. Yet when I went searching for the truth and for God, I found something, something that couldn't be ignored. And the more I learned, I realized that this was the missing piece of the puzzle. Islam is the conceptual framework through which EVERYTHING in the world begins to make sense. This feeling of realization has not stopped for more than 4 years.

The world is falling apart around us, but I know my place, and I'm not scared or confused anymore. Keep searching and reading and learning, and you will find the same peace.

Predator
05-27-2010, 05:47 PM
Recently however I've been researching about Islam, and it just...feels like the only religion that makes sense to me. At the same time however, I'm not really sure.
What exactly are the things you are unsure about ?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Predator
05-27-2010, 05:50 PM
Also check out these links

Miracles of the Qur'an
http://www.harunyahya.com/miracles_of_the_quran_01.php
Prophet Muhammed(Pbuh)mentioned in books of EVERY major religion
http://www.ilovezakirnaik.com/muhamm...ised/index.htm
For those wanting to look more into Islam
http://forum.mpacuk.org/showthread.php?t=44392

FS123
05-29-2010, 08:24 AM
I don't want to devote my life to something if there's a possibility it could have all been for nothing, but I don't want to ignore it if there's a possibility it could be the truth.
There is always possibility of being something else (or nothing) with most things in life, if not all.

Hamza Asadullah
05-29-2010, 06:42 PM

Hello Robert may i offer you the warmest welcome to the forum. Please do not hesitate to ask us whatever is bothering you or if you have anything at all that needs clearing up or clarification. God is wanting to guide you towards the truth that is why you have an inclination to come towards Islam but making a big change in ones life is never an easy step but no one has said that you should take huge leaps. Take things slowly and gradually but bare in mind it does'nt matter how young you are for you are never too young to accept the truth for it is better to revert the younger you are. Since you are young you will be able to adapt to change quicker than someone of an older age.

You should think of the changes that will occur in your life after reversion as the best possible changes that you could ever go through. What better changes can a person make but to live ones life in accordance with the commands of God? You will make such positive changes in your life that will benefit you and the people around you. The biggest changes you will make is keeping away from evil and sin and implementing the 5 daily prayers into your life aswell as fasting in Ramadan. These changes are all positive but Satan will always try and deter us away from the truth and give us any excuse possible to do so.

You do not have to make things obvious to everyone straight away. You can let people in your life know slowly. I know of many reverts personally that told their families after sometime but it does depend on your family and situation because some families are very supportive and liberal when it comes to these matters whereas others need a bit more time for the changes to sink in.

Whatever your situation if you would feel more comfortable telling them after sometime then that is fine but realise that affirming the truth in your heart is the most important thing that you will ever do in your life and it should not be delayed as life in uncertain and death will wait for no one but come at its appointed time. If you have any questions at all then please do not hesitate to ask.

iamdaguy
05-31-2010, 08:21 AM
Hello, Robert and welcome.

Personally, I feel that the most important thing now you need to focus is finding more about Islam. Read, learn, and listen whenever the opportunity presents itself. That should be your priority rather than how Islam will change your life. Visit mosques near by and ask for help in learning more about Islam. Don't be afraid at all to visit or to ask. Insha allah (God willingly), Allah will guide you.

And once you know the truth and you believe Islam is the correct path then why should you be afraid of the change? I won't say it will be walk in the park but believing that this change will make you a better person should alone give you encouragements. However, change isn't easy and that's why you need to consistently talk to Muslim brothers in the Mosque or anywhere you can find. In the mosque, you will definitely find at least one person who had been in your situation. And it's the best you talk to face-to-face someone who has being in your situation, right?

I pray that Allah (swt) makes your journey easier and guide you to the right path, Insha allah.

Looking 4 Hope
06-03-2010, 12:58 AM
I am on the same boat I feel that something is pushing me towards islam.

Robert
06-03-2010, 06:40 PM
I have no doubt that at least my mother will not mind me converting to Islam. The rest of my family....they probably won't go crazy at me, but they I don't think they'd take it too well. Even then, I'd probably need some time before announcing it to everybody. Unfortunately there's not really any Muslims I know of that I could talk to about this, which is why I came here. The only Muslims I really know are actually not very good muslims at all, they're the sort of people that take what they want from religion and leave the rest of it out. Besides, they're not exactly the nicest people I know, and probably wouldn't want to talk to me anyway. :P

But, thanks for the advice, I'll continue looking into Islam. Hopefully I'll come to a decision soon. :D

Muhammad
06-07-2010, 07:33 PM
Hello Robert,

I pray that God guides you to the right path, Aameen.

Don't worry too much about making an announcement to your family... this can come later when you are ready. The main thing is to find out the truth first. Some reverts to Islam have had to keep their change of faith quiet for some time, before finding the right moment to let their family know. For example, see:

http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...ml#post1335923
http://web.archive.org/web/200708140...com/family.htm

جوري
06-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Greetings,

Islam goes with fitrah and that is the 'comfortable feeling' you get, but Islam is carried out by people that you may not necessarily like.. but that shouldn't be a deterrent to explore. You are comfortable with God, but not comfortable with people, that is understandable .. congratulations you've just realized one of the hiccups of the human condition. How do we get along, let alone show some solidarity?

Well to begin with, your journey to God is a solo one, I don't know if you have read my post here in regards to 911.. and that I wasn't a practicing Muslim at the time, upon that event, I said to myself, 'if Muslims are behind this, then I want absolutely nothing to do with this religion' shortly afterward I started researching Islam and discovering this faith anew.. It is when I realized that all of us need to make an individual covenant with God, that it isn't a communal effort but a solo journey.

Now, I am not here to force feed you hordes of literature.. my personal experience has been a one day at a time with lots of highs and lows.. what I will advise you though is to capitalize on this 'confusion' that you have an ask God to elucidate it for you in terms and signs that are agreeable to you..

Ask and ye shall find..

peace

Salahudeen
06-07-2010, 09:16 PM

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!