/* */

PDA

View Full Version : painting on canvas

Ummu Sufyaan
05-28-2010, 08:40 AM
:sl:
inshallah i plan to paint on canvas but i need some advice on how to sketch my desired image from paper onto the canvas (i have roughly drawn what i want on paper first so that i can get a rough idea of what i want on canvas)

so my questions are:
1) what grade of pencil should i use to sketch on the canvas...

2) how do i go about accurately transferring my image onto canvas becuase sometimes you can draw it on paper, but when you come to draw the image onto canvas you can get the proportions all wrong...any tips?

also, can i get some help with the types of paint brushes and their uses. there is so many types you can get, but im not sure how to use them.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
05-28-2010, 02:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan
inshallah i plan to paint on canvas but i need some advice on how to sketch my desired image from paper onto the canvas (i have roughly drawn what i want on paper first so that i can get a rough idea of what i want on canvas)

so my questions are:
1) what grade of pencil should i use to sketch on the canvas...

2) how do i go about accurately transferring my image onto canvas becuase sometimes you can draw it on paper, but when you come to draw the image onto canvas you can get the proportions all wrong...any tips?

also, can i get some help with the types of paint brushes and their uses. there is so many types you can get, but im not sure how to use them.

Here you are going to get big differences of opinion. I personally belong to the school of thought that does not do any sketch on the canvas, You do your preliminary on scrap paper and on the canvas you just dive in with the colors. Beginning with the lightest colors working up to the darkest. Using your sketch on paper as a guide.

You will find brushes for every imaginable purpose the only rule you need follow is to never use a qulity water color brush for oils if you ever want to use it for water again. Forget about the usages written on the brush package use what you are comfortable with.

I have recently started drawing again, still have a long ways to go before I once again have control of the brushes but here are some pictures of my brush set:

Woodrow
05-28-2010, 02:19 PM

I just like the feel of Japanese calligraphy brushes and do use them for any type of painting. Be comfortable with your brushes, use what feels best in your hans.

tango92
05-28-2010, 02:33 PM
the only advice i can offer you is use tracing paper and a rubber.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ummu Sufyaan
06-03-2010, 07:27 AM
so i've began painting and have come to a hurdle. i painted first coat on, let it dry, but when i came to paint the second coat on, it was making patches, exposing the original color of the canvas....which makes my picture look terrible... especially since i tried going over the patches with a different shade....

here is an example.

those white patches on the hills and the sky is what im talking about. those lighter colors/patches is my effort at trying to cover the mistake.

what am i doing wrong? was the paint of the first coat not completely dry before i painted the second? how should i rectify this?

also, i want to make the 2 hills in the middle look like they are 2 (separate) hills next to one another like this. see how they look defined but still blend in well together? so how should i go about separating the hills. i would usually draw a line, expect i think it would look a bit bold and "put there."

Woodrow
06-03-2010, 03:36 PM
so i've began painting and have come to a hurdle. i painted first coat on, let it dry, but when i came to paint the second coat on, it was making patches, exposing the original color of the canvas....which makes my picture look terrible... especially since i tried going over the patches with a different shade....

here is an example.

those white patches on the hills and the sky is what im talking about. those lighter colors/patches is my effort at trying to cover the mistake.

what am i doing wrong? was the paint of the first coat not completely dry before i painted the second? how should i rectify this?

also, i want to make the 2 hills in the middle look like they are 2 (separate) hills next to one another like this. see how they look defined but still blend in well together? so how should i go about separating the hills. i would usually draw a line, expect i think it would look a bit bold and "put there."
The problem began when you to put light colors over the dark colors. Lay down all of your light colors first and end up with your darkest color being the last you do. The seperation of object comes with practice in shading.
Learn not to see your drawing as a flat surface, think of it as a solid object and "feel" your brushes moving around the surface. do not use lines, seperate with color shades.

I did a little touching up using paint on the PC. I don't have full hand control with the mouse or a full color palette. But this may give you an idea.

Ummu Sufyaan
06-06-2010, 09:59 AM
thank you for your help.

what is the consistency of acrylic paints meant to be. the ones i bought for this project are a little more thinner than the ones that i previously had...the ones i previously had, i remember them to be a little more thicker? does it differ with brands?

another question: other than paper, what other mediums (if any) can be used to paint, sketch, draw on, etc...

Woodrow
06-06-2010, 12:02 PM
thank you for your help.

what is the consistency of acrylic paints meant to be. the ones i bought for this project are a little more thinner than the ones that i previously had...the ones i previously had, i remember them to be a little more thicker? does it differ with brands?

another question: other than paper, what other mediums (if any) can be used to paint, sketch, draw on, etc...

Acrylics do vary vary from brand to brand. There does not seem to be any uniform industry standards for color and thickness. Experiment and you will find that you will end up with favorite brands for each color such as you may end up preferring one brand for the blues and another brand for the reds.

Also most brands have different "quality" lines such as Heavy body or general usage. The heavy body being the thickest, but the slowest drying taking up to a week to dry.

I found Liquitex to be my favorite brand for overall all satisfaction. I used to experiment with some of the expensive brands such as Rembrandt. If you want a thick paint with long working time (Slow drying) Graham's Heavy Body professional paints are best, but pricey

As for painting surfaces only your imagination limits you. but you will find that with some surfaces such as metal or plastic you will most likely have to lay down a primer surface such as gesso, clear sealant or roughen the surface by sanding before painting on it. However no matter how hard you try, i doubt if you will find any way to paint on ice cubes.

Ummu Sufyaan
06-12-2010, 10:19 AM
so here is the finished product. overall, im quite happy with the way it turned out, except i think it needs some improvements here and there, such as proportions, shading, etc...so feedback is welcome.

Woodrow
06-12-2010, 03:57 PM
so here is the finished product. overall, im quite happy with the way it turned out, except i think it needs some improvements here and there, such as proportions, shading, etc...so feedback is welcome.

Very nice, you have a definite talent. Your painting suggest you you are very skilled in the style of painting called "Folk Art" This is a very popular art style and very attractive. Check out the works of:

Grandma Moses

Paul Cezanne (Expecially his later years and his Mont Sainte-Victoire paintings)

You found a style that seems natural for you and go on line and cadefully study the art of the classical artists who followed this genre.

Some links:

http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/moses_grandma.html

http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/cezanne_paul.html

http://www.folkartmuseum.org/

Re.TiReD
06-12-2010, 05:39 PM
Masha'Allah masha'Allah that has got to be THE cutest canvas everr! :wub:

Erm I think you got all your answers but re the one about the first and second coat....you made a mistake painting 'coats', woodrow may disagree but whenever I've done coats or painted over something, I've has the same problem as you, dont do that, you should have painted the sky and each hill seperately, although masha'Allah you've got the flowers and other details spot on. Also, I belong to a diff school of though as woodrow :p sketch out what you want, if its not 100% similar to the original it doesnt matter, draw a faint life horizontally across your canvas and on your scrap pice of paper, sketch what comes above the line first and then what comes under it, you should end up with a similar enough sketch to your rough one.

Paints, yes they do vary with brand. I've come across some really mega diluted type ones :/ a nightmare to work with, then I've across some that have the consistency of...erm porridge or something equally bleh, again, a nightmare, I've yet to find a perfect brand unfortunately.

Woodrow
06-12-2010, 06:24 PM

Excellent reply and input.

I just want to add. The important thing is too understand there is no right or wrong methods in art. If the artist enjoys doing it and is finding time to use it as reflection and seeing the wonder of Allaah(swt) in all things, then that is the correct method for the artist.

To get the right texture and color with acrylics takes some experimentation. Keep in mind you can dilute them with water, gesso, acrylic glace etc. It is easier to thin than to thicken. Better to have a too thick brand than a too thin one.

Re.TiReD
06-12-2010, 06:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow

I just want to add. The important thing is too understand there is no right or wrong methods in art. If the artist enjoys doing it and is finding time to use it as reflection and seeing the wonder of Allaah(swt) in all things, then that is the correct method for the artist.

Wa'alaykum as-salam

I've quoted ^^^ the part that rings true the most masha'Allah, you're right, there is no right or wrong at all, in fact sis, you've inspired me to paint something other than Islamic verses etc :wub:

And Woodrow, I forget to comment before but masha'Allah you draw one meaan flower/rose. I've been trying to draw roses for a very long time.

piXie
06-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Very nice masha' Allaah. I feel like drawing on a canvas too now.

Snowflake
06-12-2010, 07:42 PM
:sl: Such a cute painting, really bright and colourful mashaAllah. Absolutely love the little train and the steam haha awesome! Keep it up inshaAllah :)

جوري
06-12-2010, 07:46 PM

this is so pretty, I really love folks art..this would be so nice to hang in a child's room..it made me smile..

Jazaki Allah khyran

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!