/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Married converts

Templar
05-29-2010, 11:27 AM
I'm not absolutely sure this is the right place for this question. Obviously it can be moved if not.

I'm curious as to what the situation is regarding a marriage during which one partner converts to Islam?

Is the marriage still considered valid in Islam?
If not, I understand that a Muslim man may marry a Christian (Trinitarian or only Unitarian?) or Jewish woman, so I assume this issue could be resolved without too much ado.
If so, in the case of him subsequently wanting a divorce, what is the position regarding the marriage vows he made before God at the ceremony?

What is the position regarding a marriage during which the woman converts?

Also, what is the position if the convert, man or woman, is married to an atheist or a pagan?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
islamirama
05-31-2010, 05:24 AM
If one converts and not the other, the marriage is still valid for husband but for wife its a grace period before she leaves him unless he too converts.
If both convert then their marriage is also still valid.

If husband converts and wants to divorce he's wife than he can do so. It would good idea to preach Islam to her first to see if she would convert as well, if not than he can leave her and take a muslim wife for the sake of his kids and their future.

I"m guessing in terms of atheist or pagans, the marriage will have to end unless the partner converts (husband or wife). Whether there is a grace period or not, i'm not sure but i would guess so considering its the a similar situation to the above.

Anyways, read this...

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...ID=176&CATE=11

Templar
06-04-2010, 08:41 AM
islamirama.
Thanks for that.

Just now read it. Half term etc. Up to my eyes in kids.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!