/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is it a sin to return worn clothing?

anonymous
05-31-2010, 09:51 PM
Stores require the clothes returned are in sellable condition, so if you return worn clothing (with or without tags if that's required) then is it a sin?

Yeah it would be tacky and silly, I know, but actually a sin?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
islamirama
06-01-2010, 04:45 AM
depends, if they choose to accept or not than its their choice, but if your lying to deceive them to take it back then its ur sin

Allahu alim...

Hamza Asadullah
06-01-2010, 01:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
Stores require the clothes returned are in sellable condition, so if you return worn clothing (with or without tags if that's required) then is it a sin?

Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, jazakallah for sharing your issue with us. If your intention was to purchase clothing to wear them just for a certain occassion and then return them afterwards then you will be sinful as your intention was deceitful but if after purhcasing the clothing you took it home and after wearing it you genuinly did not like it for one reason or another then returning it would be fine. But if you did not like it and had the intention of returning the item then you must not wear it thinking that you will return it anyway for this too is deception and remember Allah knows what is deep in the hearts of all people and actions are judged upon intention.

and Allah knows best in all matters

ardianto
06-01-2010, 02:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous

I cannot say it is sin or not sin because I am not qualified to make a fatwa.

But I have a story. One day Rasulullah (saw) visited a market, and he saw a vegetables trader mixed fresh and 'not fresh' vegetables and sold those as fresh vegetables. Then Rasulullah (saw) told him not to mix those vegetables but he must share those into two categories, fresh and not fresh, and sell those in different prices.

One rule in sharia trading is honesty.

When you bought clothes from the store, you bought it as new clothes. But after you wore that clothes (wearing, not fitting), that clothes has turned into used clothes. Not new again.

When you buy clothes, the store gives that clothes to you and you give money to the store. This is a trading, you are the buyer and the store is the seller.
And when you return that clothes, actually this is also considered as trading, because in this case, you give that clothes to the store and you get money from the store. You become a seller and the store becomes a buyer.

Of course, you cannot sell used clothes as new clothes.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
cat eyes
06-01-2010, 11:51 PM
i tried it once and it didnt work anyway lol but if they accept it back anyway and its in good condition. how could be a sin? there is a shop here called ''swap shop'' people bring there clothes that they don't want anymore. its basically a shop full of a second hand clothes and u swap one of your clothing item for an item in the shop but it has to be in good condition of course. i think its good if your a student and you can't afford to buy clothes

جوري
06-02-2010, 12:47 AM
it really depends on the store policy.. some stores tell you if for any reason you are unsatisfied you can return it, others want tags on and all their original bells and whistles, but I cant think of a reason for return unless a person tried it and didn't fit properly in fact you do try clothes on in stores anyway? some stores would rather have you as a customer and risk a small financial loss, which I don't think there is any considering they throw clothes out in the trash instead of giving it to charity
see here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/06/nyregion/06about.html

however just because they are inhumane and frivolous doesn't mean we should be deceitful.. thus I think you should just follow the store's policy insha'Allah.

and Allah swt knows best

:w:

ardianto
06-02-2010, 03:33 AM
Actually I talked about case when someone bought new clothe, wore it a day long then return it to the store just because he/she wants to change this clothe with new clothe.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!