/* */

PDA

View Full Version : pagans who convert to islam remembering their past

astrogirl
06-08-2010, 07:36 PM
salamz

i was watching a canadian program called The Nature of Things, they were discussing polynessia and the missionaries. when the europeans come they converted the pagans into christians using lies:heated: and they forbad anyone from learning about their history. i know we are not allowed to follow pagan customs, but if the polynessians had converted to islam, would it be allowed for them to learn/pass down the rituals, much like how egyptians remember their past.

thanx

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Snowflake
06-08-2010, 09:04 PM
:sl: sister,

Ibrahim (peace be upon him) came from a family of pagans who worshipped different deities. He rejected paganism and worshipped only the One true God, Allah and called others to do the same. Paganism is shirk as it involves worshipping others besides Allah and therefore it is the practice of associating partners with Allah, na udhu billah! Allah does not forgive the person who dies associating partners with Him. Then why my sister would a muslim want to learn remember beliefs and practices that Allah subhana wa ta 'ala hates? May Allah protect us from the whispers of the accursed shaytaan. Ameen.

Btw, the pagans were evil and wicked people who offered human sacrifices to their deities. Christianity, even if it were false, ended much this gory bloodshed and I can't help feeling that was a good thing.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Also i think Paganism is when they worship more than one god, associating partners, worshipping rocks or lets say "Creation". .

Snowflake
06-09-2010, 01:20 PM
Yes.. It is exactly that dear ukht.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-09-2010, 01:21 PM
^Ok Dear :) . . .
Jazakallahu Khayr

astrogirl
06-10-2010, 06:30 PM
scents of jannah, i understand what you are saying, but i am speaking more from a historical point of view, there are muslims in egypt, they do not practice the religion/rituals of the pharoahs, but they uncover many of the treasures of the pharoahs. if it is haram, then does that mean archeology is also haram??

as well, knowing the past doesn't that help us remember that the present(islam) is much better, ie, human sacrifice, treatment of women, the seperation of clases, etc. knowing the past makes us appreciate the present and future.

Snowflake
06-10-2010, 10:16 PM
:sl: Good question. But all the knowledge we need about paganism that is of benefit to us is contained in the Quran and Sunnah. It's more than enough for us to appreciate the beauty of Islam al hamdulillah. As for the passing down of rituals, ukhti this is a dangerous territory and one we should stay away from as far as possible. Even learning about it can lead to the acceptance of such practices and beliefs among those who have a weak faith, or not enough knowledge. The shaytaan is always seeking to mislead us to disobedience of our Creator and ultimately to hell-Fire.

Have Egypt's archaeological findings (which btw are lead by westerners) helped them become better muslims? No ukhti, it is Allah who uncovers what He wills in whatever He chooses for our benefit. Egypt's history is worth millions even not more in the tourist industry. It is a business, and of no religious benefit. Go to any Egyptian city popular with tourists and you will barely find an Islamic souvenir to bring back. They are almost all related to pharoahs, pyramids and the like. We are not even allowed to create images of muslim figures yet there are millions of such idols/souvenirs made to be sold to foreigners. Tomorrow someone will decide to take teaching paganism one step further and start creating idols to show how and what kind of rituals were performed. We should be thinking about the time to come when we will be facing Allah and accounting for each second of our life. I'm telling you sincerely to avoid going down that path and instead using that time to increase your knowledge of the deen we are following, not what we have left behind. This is my personal opinion. I really do not like the idea ukhti. Please think carefully about it and by all means ask a scholar. I only gave my humble opinion. JazakiAllah khayr.

astrogirl
06-10-2010, 10:35 PM
okay, i see what you are saying especially here

Go to any Egyptian city popular with tourists and you will barely find an Islamic souvenir to bring back. They are almost all related to pharoahs, pyramids and the like. We are not even allowed to create images of muslim figures yet there are millions of such idols/souvenirs made to be sold to foreigners.
the point about taking things farther reminded me of an article i read in an archeological mag about the mayans 2012 "doomsday" and how there are cults in the US that believe the world will end in 2012 based on the mayan calender. although the article discredits the theory, the cults are a good example of what you are saying.

thanx

Snowflake
06-16-2010, 08:57 AM
Alhamdulillah dear ukht. May Allah reward you and increase you in every thing He likes. Ameen

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!