/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Variant readings of the Quran?

Tyrion
06-13-2010, 11:26 AM
Can someone please tell me about the variant readings of the quran? In discussions I've had with non Muslims, some have brought up these variant readings to try and say that there are different versions of the Quran, and that it could have had things added/taken/changed over time. I'd appreciate some kind explanation. Thanks in advance. :statisfie

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muhammad
06-13-2010, 12:08 PM
Assalaamu Alaykum,

Here is a good thread to start with:
http://www.islamicboard.com/quran/12...aat-ahruf.html

There are some other links in that thread which have more detail, such as:
The Ahruf of The Qur’aan
The Qira’aat of the Qur’an
http://www.islamic-awareness.org/Qur...at/hafs.html#3

I hope that helps Insha'Allaah.

'Aleena
01-23-2012, 04:58 PM
:sl:
Regarding differnt qiraat: the meaning does not change, but what effect does it have on the lingusitic miracles of the Quran?
I'm sorry if the answer is very obvious, but I don't seem to get it.

syed_z
01-23-2012, 09:09 PM
Asalaam O Alaikum

format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion
In discussions I've had with non Muslims, some have brought up these variant readings to try and say that there are different versions of the Quran,
If i was you and came across one of them, i would tell them that is why Prophet (saw) said "Every Prophet was given a miracle and my miracle is the Quran."

Thats why Quran is a miracle because every word of the ancient Arabic which is in Quran gives out different shades of meaning and if all the Arabic words in Quran were limited to one single meaning, then it wouldn't be a miracle.

And that is why you can inform them we Muslims have Commentaries i.e. Tafsirs which are Scholars/Commentators who when translating the Quran comment on each and every Verse, because each and every Verse cannot just be limited to one translation. That is the beauty of Quran.

So one commentator of say for example 13th century CE wrote a commentary of the Quran and gave the literal translation as well as other meanings and signs that the Verse could be pointing towards in the age in which he was living, and wrote those points in the notes under that Verse which is commentary. All depends upon how much knowledge the one explaining the Quran has.

Then another Commentator came in our age for example and elaborated more on the meanings of the Verses or gave another very interesting interpretation of those Verses apart from its one basic translation, and helped the Ummah get better understanding of Quran. That is also why Scholars are heirs of the Prophets said the Prophet (Saw) himself.

A famous saying of Ali (r.a)....

Ali (ra) is reported to have said ‘If I wished I could load seventy camels only with the Tafsir of Surah Fatihah.'

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Tyrion
01-23-2012, 09:15 PM
Whoa, I had no idea this was my thread from 2 years ago when I clicked the link... No need to revive a dead thread though, I think it was dealt with pretty well in the first post. :p: I've also done plenty of my own research since then, so.... Yeah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!