/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why so many Christianity threads?

Supreme
06-13-2010, 05:14 PM
Well... why? Why are there so many Christian threads on Comparitive Religion. Granted, there are three or four active Christians on this forum. But there's active atheists and Jews, too. I'm just curious as to why the obsession with Christianity. Why not Sikhism or Jainism or Buddhism or the Bahai Faith?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Pygoscelis
06-14-2010, 04:06 PM
I would presume its the same reason why Atheist boards talk about Christianity more than any other religion. Its the big widespread one on the block, and it is seeking to turn more people to it (and away from Islam in this case). Sikhism, Jainism, Budhism are all comparatively harmless. Just my two cents.

Woodrow
06-14-2010, 04:13 PM
Possibly because more than a few of us were previously Christian before accepting Islam. We tend to be a little like the guy who quit smoking and goes around speaking of the dangers of smoking. an ex-Christian is more blatantly anti Christian than someone who was never Christian. Although most of us do not hate Christians and do understand them, we believe we have first hand knowledge of the errors made in the name of Jesus(as). It pains us to see the falsehoods about him being spread.

Asiyah3
06-14-2010, 04:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
Well... why? Why are there so many Christian threads on Comparitive Religion. Granted, there are three or four active Christians on this forum. But there's active atheists and Jews, too. I'm just curious as to why the obsession with Christianity. Why not Sikhism or Jainism or Buddhism or the Bahai Faith?
Peace Supreme,
One reason could be that many (?) of us live in the West where the major religion is Christianity. Therefore it'll also be beneficial for us to have the knowledge.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Candle
06-14-2010, 04:41 PM
All of the above probably. I think Christianity and Islam have such a long history that wherever you find discussions of Islam you'll find discussions of Christianity. It's even in the Qur'an. :happy:

aadil77
06-14-2010, 04:44 PM
the threads will mostly be about abrahimic faiths cause they are the closest to islam and they are specifically mentioned in the Quran

also christianity is the largest faith in the world and also the easiest to refute but also the easiest to relate from to islam

Supreme
06-14-2010, 04:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Possibly because more than a few of us were previously Christian before accepting Islam. We tend to be a little like the guy who quit smoking and goes around speaking of the dangers of smoking. an ex-Christian is more blatantly anti Christian than someone who was never Christian. Although most of us do not hate Christians and do understand them, we believe we have first hand knowledge of the errors made in the name of Jesus(as). It pains us to see the falsehoods about him being spread.
Yes, but...

There's only about three active Christians on this board, and so far, I've never been convinced that there was an error with regard to the Christian understanding of Jesus; indeed, many of the allegations against Christianity are themselves inaccurate, erroneous and not reflective of Christian beliefs, which does sort of mar the genuine attempts made by other Muslims to try and convert Christians. It may pain you to see the oft-affirmed 'inaccuracies' (in Muslim view) of Jesus, but what about other religions inaccurate teachings of Jesus? What about Judaism, which doesn't recognize Jesus as the Messiah? Or Hinduism, where some schools of thought see Jesus as an incarnation or 'Avatar' of Krishna? Don't these falsehoods equally pain you and deserve the same degree of rebuttal as Christian beliefs with regard to Jesus?

I would presume its the same reason why Atheist boards talk about Christianity more than any other religion. Its the big widespread one on the block, and it is seeking to turn more people to it (and away from Islam in this case). Sikhism, Jainism, Budhism are all comparatively harmless. Just my two cents.
That's was what I thought. Christianity and Islam are both fiercely expansionist religions- ideally everyone would be Christian or Muslim, but it simply isn't true. It's like saying a certain shoesize should be used to manafacture all shoes- sure, all the people who are that shoesize will be fine, but the others will struggle to fit in.

Supreme
06-14-2010, 04:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Candle
All of the above probably. I think Christianity and Islam have such a long history that wherever you find discussions of Islam you'll find discussions of Christianity. It's even in the Qur'an. :happy:
I found that curious. Apparantly, Muslim sermons mention Christianity a lot- even if the audience is exclusively Muslim. I've never been to a church that has once acknowledged the existence of Islam, let alone mention or discuss it.

aadil77
06-14-2010, 04:54 PM
I found that curious. Apparantly, Muslim sermons mention Christianity a lot- even if the audience is exclusively Muslim. I've never been to a church that has once acknowledged the existence of Islam, let alone mention or discuss it.
yes usually when referring to the great prophet Isa and how deviant some are to worship him

prophet Muhammad came after prophet Isa so I doubt your church would mention islam unless its to do with some interfaith stuff

Woodrow
06-14-2010, 05:08 PM
Yes, but...

There's only about three active Christians on this board, and so far, I've never been convinced that there was an error with regard to the Christian understanding of Jesus; indeed, many of the allegations against Christianity are themselves inaccurate, erroneous and not reflective of Christian beliefs, which does sort of mar the genuine attempts made by other Muslims to try and convert Christians. It may pain you to see the oft-affirmed 'inaccuracies' (in Muslim view) of Jesus, but what about other religions inaccurate teachings of Jesus? What about Judaism, which doesn't recognize Jesus as the Messiah? Or Hinduism, where some schools of thought see Jesus as an incarnation or 'Avatar' of Krishna? Don't these falsehoods equally pain you and deserve the same degree of rebuttal as Christian beliefs with regard to Jesus?
I do not recall ever seeing any members here refute Islam except for Christians, Atheists and occasionally agnostics. Perhaps some have, but I do not recall seeing any. Most of us have little knowledge of any non-Islamic religion except for Christianity. Hard to refute something when you do not know what you need to refute.

Mohamed_Sadiq
06-14-2010, 05:11 PM
Supreme i think you have a agenda with your question. But don't get too excited !

Stop making your religion sound important cause it aint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Supreme
06-14-2010, 05:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mohamed_Sadiq
Supreme i think you have a agenda with your question. But don't get too excited !

Stop making your religion sound important cause it aint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Darn, you discovered me! True, I have an agenda here. My agenda is to find out why there is so many Christianity threads. You mean to tell me that's in the title? How clever of you to have noticed

And I don't know about you, but I have this wierd thing about finding my religion important. Call me old fashioned!

I do not recall ever seeing any members here refute Islam except for Christians, Atheists and occasionally agnostics. Perhaps some have, but I do not recall seeing any. Most of us have little knowledge of any non-Islamic religion except for Christianity. Hard to refute something when you do not know what you need to refute.
Surely you must know a fair amount on Judaism or the Bahai faith?

Woodrow
06-14-2010, 05:56 PM

Surely you must know a fair amount on Judaism or the Bahai faith?
On a personal basis I did study comparative religions for more than 15 minutes and do have some knowledge about Judaism adding to the fact one of my Great Grandmothers was Jewish. I also have some knowledge of Bahai and for a brief time entertained the thought of exploring them further. I also do not like to refute another person's beliefs as I see nothing to be gained from pointing out the errors of others. I prefer to show the truth of Islam and not worry about the beliefs of others.

Mohamed_Sadiq
06-14-2010, 05:59 PM
Lol supreme,

(iam talking about your inner agenda, ur upto something)

Anyways Christianity and Islam are kind of similar but not the same, also you must know Islam is the fastest religion that is growing rapidly unlike christianity is decreasing day and night, I mean don't you feel lost? or sometimes don't u question ur faith, Come on man and smell the coffee (no offence thought styl).

glo
06-14-2010, 06:01 PM
On a personal basis I did study comparative religions for more than 15 minutes and do have some knowledge about Judaism adding to the fact one of my Great Grandmothers was Jewish.
15 minutes??

Danah
06-14-2010, 06:04 PM
Exactly! I agree with you.
Many of reverts to Islam here were Christians before. Alhumdulilah that they were guided to the right path.

aadil77
06-14-2010, 06:11 PM
I also do not like to refute another person's beliefs as I see nothing to be gained from pointing out the errors of others. I prefer to show the truth of Islam and not worry about the beliefs of others.
There are situations when you need to refute, such as when being preached to, like some troll missionaries we used to get here, also when your beliefs are being refuted and the person refuting is being a hypocrite and overlooking their own beliefs.

I would never refute a persons beliefs to do dawah unless they bring them up themselves.

Woodrow
06-14-2010, 06:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
There are situations when you need to refute, such as when being preached to, like some troll missionaries we used to get here, also when your beliefs are being refuted and the person refuting is being a hypocrite and overlooking their own beliefs.

I would never refute a persons beliefs to do dawah unless they bring them up themselves.
True.

For me I am not very effective when it comes to refutations. It is not my better area of debate, I do a much better presentation as the an advocate for what I believe to be true.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-14-2010, 06:25 PM
I guess thats because many of "Us" like to teach about what the truth really is! Anyways theres nothing wrong in having threads on Christianity,since your a Christian and you come onto an Islamic Forum.

Khaayr Insha`Allaah you will understand brother Supreme

So yeah

All the best!

Supreme
06-14-2010, 06:33 PM
Lol supreme,

(iam talking about your inner agenda, ur upto something)
What inner agenda did you have in mind? Do you mean is this thread a covert attempt to convert everyone through asking why there is a high amount of Christianity threads? No. No it isn't. Sorry to disappoint.

Anyways Christianity and Islam are kind of similar but not the same, also you must know Islam is the fastest religion that is growing rapidly unlike christianity is decreasing day and night, I mean don't you feel lost? or sometimes don't u question ur faith, Come on man and smell the coffee (no offence thought styl).
Not really. Religion is very hard to account for demographically, and just about every religion in the world claims to be the fastest growing- it's hardly surprising that a Muslim would claim that Islam is the fastest growing. Do you have a hidden agenda?
Yes, I question my faith. All the time. I find it a very productive activity that generally acts to strengthen my convictions. I don't follow anything blindly, especially my religion. Do you question your faith?

Supreme
06-14-2010, 06:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by мυѕℓιмαн 4 ℓιfє
I guess thats because many of "Us" like to teach about what the truth really is! Anyways theres nothing wrong in having threads on Christianity,since your a Christian and you come onto an Islamic Forum.

Khaayr Insha`Allaah you will understand brother Supreme

So yeah

All the best!
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it. But the amount of Christianity threads is disproportionate to the amount of Christians on this forum, and large in comparison to the amount of other faiths threads.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-14-2010, 06:39 PM
Yes but those threads may be aimed at Muslims not just Christians.
Anyways . . . .

P.e.a.c.e

Life_Is_Short
06-14-2010, 06:43 PM
It's open season on Christianity.

Mohamed_Sadiq
06-14-2010, 06:45 PM
What inner agenda did you have in mind? Do you mean is this thread a covert attempt to convert everyone through asking why there is a high amount of Christianity threads? No. No it isn't. Sorry to disappoint.
Alright if you say so.

Not really. Religion is very hard to account for demographically, and just about every religion in the world claims to be the fastest growing- it's hardly surprising that a Muslim would claim that Islam is the fastest growing. Do you have a hidden agenda?
Yes, I question my faith. All the time. I find it a very productive activity that generally acts to strengthen my convictions. I don't follow anything blindly, especially my religion. Do you question your faith?
No I don't have hidden agenda.

Everybody knows that Islam is the fastest growing religion even a ignorant athiest and delusional budhist knows that. Anyways me I don't question my faith in terms of being lost or unsure because i have strong believes but also I know for a fact that my religion is the true religion. I am just happy to be a Muslim.

'Off topic: what happend to England lol ? Green...?...' ' Yipppie Holland won 2day'

marwen
06-14-2010, 06:48 PM
But the amount of Christianity threads is disproportionate to the amount of Christians on this forum
Why should it be proportionate ? should we make a thread for every member here ? (J/K ;D)

The point is that Christianity is widespread and the christian culture is the most present in the muslim world compared with other non-islamic religions, there is many islamic countries where muslims live with christians, and in many non-muslim countries as well.
Another factor is the amount of controversial(with islam) subjects existing in christianity (Trinity, the nature of Jesus, Salvation, Crucification, etc.) which are against Islamic belief, so we come through them when we learn true Islam.

P.S : will this thread count also (about christianity) ? lol

Muhammad
06-14-2010, 06:55 PM
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it. But the amount of Christianity threads is disproportionate to the amount of Christians on this forum, and large in comparison to the amount of other faiths threads.
Greetings,

You have to remember that a number of other Christians have frequented this board since it began, though they are no longer active now. Out of the theistic non-Muslims that have been here, perhaps we have had more Christians than others.

Candle
06-14-2010, 07:07 PM
It's open season on Christianity.
Which is scary actually! After the media attack on Christianity and Catholicism finishes, there's only one great monotheistic faith left. And something tells me the body of Islam won't take kindly to that.

Peace to the people of the book.

Mohamed_Sadiq
06-14-2010, 07:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Candle
Which is scary actually! After the media attack on Christianity and Catholicism finishes, there's only one great monotheistic faith left. And something tells me the body of Islam won't take kindly to that.

Peace to the people of the book.
Islam is protected by Allah (swt) don't worry.

Woodrow
06-14-2010, 08:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
15 minutes??
Maybe a little longer than 15 minutes. Say 25-30 years longer

Supreme
06-14-2010, 08:55 PM
Alright if you say so.

No I don't have hidden agenda.

Everybody knows that Islam is the fastest growing religion even a ignorant athiest and delusional budhist knows that. Anyways me I don't question my faith in terms of being lost or unsure because i have strong believes but also I know for a fact that my religion is the true religion. I am just happy to be a Muslim.

'Off topic: what happend to England lol ? Green...?...' ' Yipppie Holland won 2day'
...as I said before, there's no verifiable evidence for the 'fastest growing religion'- Christianity, Islam, Hindusim, Buddhism and Scientology all claim to be the fastest growing religion in the world. Haredi Judaism is probably growing faster than them all, as is Wicca. Claiming it numerous times doesn't make it true, nor more believable; but why is it even significant? What, my religion's more likely to be more true than your religion because it's growing faster? I don't see why the speed of what someone else's religion is growing at has any relevance to me, nor any interest.

Also, I'm disappointed with England's performance on Friday too.
The point is that Christianity is widespread and the christian culture is the most present in the muslim world compared with other non-islamic religions, there is many islamic countries where muslims live with christians, and in many non-muslim countries as well.
Another factor is the amount of controversial(with islam) subjects existing in christianity (Trinity, the nature of Jesus, Salvation, Crucification, etc.) which are against Islamic belief, so we come through them when we learn true Islam.
I suppose this is the best answer so far. Christian-Muslim beliefs are very conflicting, and Christians make up the largest minority in Islamic majority countries. Likewise, Muslims make up the largest minority in Christian majority Europe.

P.S : will this thread count also (about christianity) ? lol
Yes. But it's by a Christian. So I'm let off :D

You have to remember that a number of other Christians have frequented this board since it began, though they are no longer active now. Out of the theistic non-Muslims that have been here, perhaps we have had more Christians than others.
I mean recently. I'm only a recent member.

Mohamed_Sadiq
06-14-2010, 09:04 PM
Supreme I did not say Islam is more true because its growing fast. But I said Islam is growing fast so that you can stop your nonesense with christianity and thread counts.

Ramadhan
06-15-2010, 03:22 AM
Borthers and sisters have given you plenty of answers and reasons why it is so, and yet you keep asking and demanding for answers.

If you don't like the answers given sincerely (which I find all true and reasonable), then it's fine, but please no more crying around "it's not fair" like a little child. It gets annoying after a while.

Zafran
06-15-2010, 04:43 AM
many reasons

1 - because many people on this forum were christians
2 - missionries trying to convert muslims or lie about Islam - kick off huge threads sometimes
3 - muslims just bashing christainty to make themselves feel better
4 - more christians in this forum (after Islam and possibly Atheism) then any other religion or belief system - so you dont hear about other religions as much
5 - Islam shares a lot with christianty

other religions have also been discussed like Hinduism,sikhism - but the sikhs and hindus just disappear after starting a thread.

Ummu Sufyaan
06-15-2010, 04:52 AM
obsession with Christianity? lol

yes, we have about 3 Christian members. 3 vocal christian members at that. you do the maths.

for the record, there has been a Judaism thread and a Hindu thread in the past.

Ummu Sufyaan
06-15-2010, 05:45 AM
so? multiple dominions and distorted texts as well as some split personality followers, usually raise an abundance of questions.

glo
06-15-2010, 06:27 AM
Hi Supreme

I hope you are okay and all is well with you. How are your exams going?

I have wondered the same question too in the past. I remember one time, not so long after joining LI, when I felt really bombarded by Islamic arguments against Christianity.
There was also a time when I very seriously sat down and searched my heart about who I really believed Jesus to be and why. I guess by its very nature when you allow yourself to be surrounded by different beliefs and thoughts, you also have to engage with it actively and test it for yourself.

I think one of the reasons that Muslims aim at Christianity is that we actually share so many values. I think there is a respect between Muslims and Christians based on those shared values. We are like 'the lost and misguided cousins' - and from a Muslim perspective it shouldn't take too much to show us the 'right way'.

In many ways I consider receiving Dawah as a compliment. It is as if the person giving Dawah is saying "I like you, you are worth saving, you are worth my effort".

I often have to remind myself that this is not an interfaith forum.
We cannot expect a 'balance' or 'fairness' between the different faiths and worldviews. We will always be in the minority and be at a disadvantage - because of the strong bias towards Islam.
That's just the way it is. We can either accept it or we can leave.

Interestingly, being in LI for so long has taught me much about how it feels to be in the minority and to feel somewhat 'disapproved of' (can't think of a better word) by the majority group. Some minority groups must feel like that in the wider society - where I am the one in the majority group!
I hope I have learned by my own experience how to treat other people better ...

Must get ready for work ...

Take care of yourself, brother. :)

Al-Indunisiy
06-15-2010, 07:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan
obsession with Christianity? lol

yes, we have about 3 Christian members. 3 vocal christian members at that. you do the maths.

for the record, there has been a Judaism thread and a Hindu thread in the past.

I miss the Judaism one.

Ummu Sufyaan
06-15-2010, 09:34 AM
well alternatively (and naturally) as common sense would dictate it madam glo, if you feel in the minority and it makes you feel awkward, its best you make you way to the nearest exit out of here? i mean you are more than welcome, but 4 years down the track...its certainly a bit odd that someone still puts them selves in such a situation, knowing how it makes them feel-if what they say is indeed true.

we have no problem catering for our guests-even our non-Muslim members (hence the discover Islam section). I mean i can think of 2 non-Muslim members here that i can happily say and give 100% credit to their respect and consideration towards us and our faith. and likewise i can think of 1 non-Muslim member here that i *unfortunately* cannot say the same in return.

if you feel that you are getting second best here (as your post so subtly implies?), perhaps its time to reflect and contemplate that perhaps YOU are doing wrong. i mean what is it? 4 years here and the same thing keeps cropping up despite receiving some lovely compliments from people about what a lovely and respectful non-Muslim member you are? you certainly have a healthy post count as well, so i cant possibly think of why you could be feeling like this. it isn't a nice thing feeling left out is it? sometimes i wonder why people aren't so talkative to me, then i realize that its probably me that's not really making the effort to be kind to them either.

this is what i always do when i feel things aren't exactly turning in my favor...so i stop and think "well ummu sufyan here you are and here are your problems what are YOU doing to solve them. what are YOU giving to them. perhaps when you stop and rectify your own mistakes and preformed opinions about certain things, then you will find that things aren't as bigger deal as you are making them out to be"

and taa daa, what do you know, when i put the effort in, i reap the oh so delicious fruits! well ha! fancy that.

well, im expecting a very interesting reply in return, madam...so fire away.

Supreme
06-15-2010, 10:00 AM
Supreme I did not say Islam is more true because its growing fast. But I said Islam is growing fast so that you can stop your nonesense with christianity and thread counts.
I know. But I just don't see why the speed Islam is growing at should have any relation to the amount of Christianity threads in Comparitive Religion.

Borthers and sisters have given you plenty of answers and reasons why it is so, and yet you keep asking and demanding for answers.

If you don't like the answers given sincerely (which I find all true and reasonable), then it's fine, but please no more crying around "it's not fair" like a little child. It gets annoying after a while.
No one is forcing them to post, and no one is forcing you to post. If you want to up your post count, fine. Just please do it someone else's thread and not this one!

1 - because many people on this forum were christians
2 - missionries trying to convert muslims or lie about Islam - kick off huge threads sometimes
3 - muslims just bashing christainty to make themselves feel better
4 - more christians in this forum (after Islam and possibly Atheism) then any other religion or belief system - so you dont hear about other religions as much
5 - Islam shares a lot with christianty
I agree with these reasons.

so? multiple dominions and distorted texts as well as some split personality followers, usually raise an abundance of questions.
An abundance? How can you have an abundance of questions on one specific topic and then claim not to be obsessed, at at least intrigued!

I hope you are okay and all is well with you. How are your exams going?
Fine thank you, glo. They're flying by!

I have wondered the same question too in the past. I remember one time, not so long after joining LI, when I felt really bombarded by Islamic arguments against Christianity.
There was also a time when I very seriously sat down and searched my heart about who I really believed Jesus to be and why. I guess by its very nature when you allow yourself to be surrounded by different beliefs and thoughts, you also have to engage with it actively and test it for yourself.

I think one of the reasons that Muslims aim at Christianity is that we actually share so many values. I think there is a respect between Muslims and Christians based on those shared values. We are like 'the lost and misguided cousins' - and from a Muslim perspective it shouldn't take too much to show us the 'right way'.

In many ways I consider receiving Dawah as a compliment. It is as if the person giving Dawah is saying "I like you, you are worth saving, you are worth my effort".

I often have to remind myself that this is not an interfaith forum.
We cannot expect a 'balance' or 'fairness' between the different faiths and worldviews. We will always be in the minority and be at a disadvantage - because of the strong bias towards Islam.
That's just the way it is. We can either accept it or we can leave.

Interestingly, being in LI for so long has taught me much about how it feels to be in the minority and to feel somewhat 'disapproved of' (can't think of a better word) by the majority group. Some minority groups must feel like that in the wider society - where I am the one in the majority group!
I hope I have learned by my own experience how to treat other people better ...
I agree with this post.

glo
06-15-2010, 07:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan
well, im expecting a very interesting reply in return, madam...so fire away.
I think you are reading criticism into my post, which isn't there at all.

I am neither critical of LI, nor am I complaining about it. I am just saying that it is what it is – an Islamic forum, and that non-Muslims should not expect it to be otherwise.
Being here as a non-Muslims means certain conditions – being in the minority is one, being excluded from certain forum activities is another.
That's just the way it is.
I may not always like it or I may wish it was otherwise, but that doesn't make it so.
I can either choose to abide by the rules, or I can – as you rightly say – choose to leave.

Until now I have always made the choice to stay and to enjoy the benefits of this forum (which I believe outweigh the disadvantages) – friendship, learning, greater understanding, social networking …

I have met some wonderful people on this forum, from a variety of faiths and worldviews – and many I would like to call my friends.

Sister Ummu Sufyaan, you seem to be one of the few people here who think that I am disrespectful towards Islam. That is strange, because on the whole I tend not to get the feed-back that I am disrespectful and inconsiderate of Islam or any other opinion.

Perhaps you confuse respect with agreement?

I mean, I respect Islam … but that doesn't mean I always agree with it or I consider it the true path myself.
Equally, I respect many of my friends here (from all faiths and none) … but that doesn't mean that I always agree with them (not even my Christian brothers and sisters).
Just the same as I love my husband … but that doesn't mean that I always agree with him.

Respect might just mean to respectfully and peacefully and amicably disagree with somebody else.

As far as being in the minority and sometimes finding that uncomfortable is concerned, that's just part of life. Like I said, I have found it an interesting learning experience – and hopefully one which helps me in dealing with others around me better.
More than anything have I learned from those Muslim members here who treat the small-ish group of non-Muslims with friendship, care and kindness.
If I can receive such positive treatment here in this forum, surely I should exercise the same to the Muslims people in my community.

I hope this explains my thoughts and feelings a little better.

Salaam :)

Grace Seeker
06-15-2010, 08:38 PM
You haven't been to my church. I have. I've also at one time or another referenced most of the other faiths you mention above.

Grace Seeker
06-15-2010, 08:45 PM
True.

For me I am not very effective when it comes to refutations. It is not my better area of debate, I do a much better presentation as the an advocate for what I believe to be true.

Which I think is a wiser and better way to approach anyone about anything. However, Woodrow, though you are not alone, I think that there are those who do take a different tack on this than you do -- both Christians trying to proselytize Muslims and Muslims trying to refute Christianity. That never ending back and forth contributes to the overall tenor of discussions in this section of the board. And I think this, combined with those already expressed, is the biggest reason for the number of threads dealing Christianity in this comparative section of the forum is greater than all the other comparisons combined. Christianity and Islam are the two religions which dominate the interest both past and present of those who frequent it, and so the discussion continues.

Supreme
06-15-2010, 08:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
You haven't been to my church. I have. I've also at one time or another referenced most of the other faiths you mention above.
Really? It'd be interesting to know what context you mentioned it in.

Grace Seeker
06-15-2010, 08:51 PM
Everybody knows that Islam is the fastest growing religion even a ignorant athiest and delusional budhist knows that.
Sorry to pursue this rabbit trail, but I hear this said a lot on these forums, but I've never actually run into the figures any place outside of here. I have no doubt this is probably true in certain locations and no doubt that it is untrue in others. But where can I find global stats that would say what is and isn't happening? Everyone may "know" this, but I haven't seen anything actually published.

Woodrow
06-15-2010, 09:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker

I was just thinking back to the days I explored several Christian denominations. A few of the mainstream denominations seemed to speak well of other religions and seemed to have an attitude that people who believed different from them still worshiped the same God(swt) I remember a few that usually had a message in the sermons that the members need to be tolerant towards other faiths, most often mentioned in those sermons were Islam and Judaism.

Grace Seeker
06-15-2010, 09:45 PM
Really? It'd be interesting to know what context you mentioned it in.

Well, depending on the occassion and one's own personal persepctive, one might have heard different things. Many of the "refutations" of Christian doctrines that have been presented on these threads are mere rehashing of arguments that have been put forth by Arians, Sabellism, and others throughout Christian history. And they are still repeated by both Muslims and other non-Christians. So, in articulating the various elements of the faith, I have identified some of the places that one might here other points of view and provided my own (i.e. Christian-biased) view of them.

I've also corrected things that I find my own church members mis-construeing with regard to Islam, and identified some of the things which I feel that we Christians could learn from our Abrahamic-faith cousins like the seriousness with which a faithful Muslim practices a life of submission to God's will, or some of the commonalities our two faiths actually share.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!