/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Painting a Rose

Re.TiReD
06-15-2010, 01:56 PM
AssalamuAlaykum

I've tried and tried and cannot for the life of me paint and draw a rose properly. I get the shading all wrong :hmm: admittedly I havnt tried the most obvious solution which is copying the shading off of another pic, I dont want to do that though because then I'll be focusing on copying that rather than painting naturally.

Tips please? Tried online tutorials btw

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
06-15-2010, 02:43 PM
:sl:

Your work is great. Your shading is actually quite good. I can only say that it will be much better as you draw more roses. experience is a great teacher.

The only hints I can give is to try to "feel" your work as if it was 3 dimensional and select a point you picture any light originating from. For general work using the upper right corner of your canvas as the light source. Now try to imagine where any shadows will be. DO NOT USE BLACK FOR SHADOWS.

Use a darker shade of the color for shadows. Think backwards. Imagine the darkest shade of the color you want and use that for the darkest shadowed area. Now start diluting the color with titanium white. Use your palette and come up with globs of colors varying in brightness from the darkest to white, use the plain white sparingly and only for one or 2 highlights, none any bigger than a pea.

Go off on a rose painting spree and play with the colors until you can "feel" the rose in terms of colors rather than as a line drawing.

-Elle-
06-15-2010, 03:20 PM
When we had to learn shading in class, we did not use paint, but 5 different shades of grey markers. This is a great way to practice before trying it with paint, which I assume is harder ( though I don't paint that much anymore,). Try to shade an image by applying the colour grey in a specific area,it will look much more natural than darkening the colour in one area, and then making it lighter in the opposite area..
When you are shading an image, you must keep your strokes consistant and apply as best as you can the exact amount of pressure throughout the shaded area..trust me, it's hard, but it'll look great!

Your roses are very well drawn mashAllah! If you are looking to make them look more "realistic", I might be able to help you there...but if not, these are very beautiful:)

Best of luck

Candle
06-15-2010, 04:22 PM
You've got the technique down for drawing the rose! Both Woodrow and houda gave you good advice for shading. Grab some charcoal and just practice practice practice, and definitely don't be afraid to copy other peoples pictures. That's how we learn, by copying the work in front of us. Shading should be naturally placed in cracks, crevices, folds, and dips in the rose. :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Re.TiReD
06-15-2010, 06:14 PM
Wa'alaykum as-salam brother Woodrow.....Excellent advice as usual....And you've managed to pick out my major mistake lol :-[ for the red rose I did the shading with black, the whole piece is complete now btw I'll post up a pick soon insha'Allah. My only problem is that if I diluted crimson with titanium white it would have turned a pinkish colour and I dint want that :-[ JazakAllah khayr I'll try imagining the shadows and light insha'Allah, have you ever painted/drawn roses by the way?

Sis Houda!! :wub: JazakAllah khayr, and I would LOVE to learn how to make them look more realistic? Helpppp moiii :p please <3

Candle, thank you! =D I love this bit of advice 'Shading should be naturally placed in cracks, crevices, folds, and dips in the rose.' I'll definately remember that!

Woodrow
06-15-2010, 06:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hafsah
Wa'alaykum as-salam brother Woodrow.....Excellent advice as usual....And you've managed to pick out my major mistake lol :-[ for the red rose I did the shading with black, the whole piece is complete now btw I'll post up a pick soon insha'Allah. My only problem is that if I diluted crimson with titanium white it would have turned a pinkish colour and I dint want that :-[ JazakAllah khayr I'll try imagining the shadows and light insha'Allah, have you ever painted/drawn roses by the way?

Sis Houda!! :wub: JazakAllah khayr, and I would LOVE to learn how to make them look more realistic? Helpppp moiii :p please <3

Candle, thank you! =D I love this bit of advice 'Shading should be naturally placed in cracks, crevices, folds, and dips in the rose.' I'll definately remember that!
I should have mentioned that when diluting with titanium white, you use a very small amount. Other less drastic ways to dilute are with any of the clear glaces such as: Golden Acrylic Glazing Liquid,

for thinning use you want the matte finish however, the high sheen finish can give some interesting effects. A little bit goes a very long ways. An 8 oz bottle would probably last you years, unless you start using it as a finish coat over your finished works.

cat eyes
06-15-2010, 07:19 PM
i can draw a rose sis its easy :) but ur not here so cant teach you:D

my art teacher at school was brilliant

-Elle-
06-15-2010, 07:32 PM
hehe! My pleasure.. My method in making my drawings(not paintings ;) ) look more realistic(and this works wonderfully with roses, I tried it once and was surprised at how good the result was, AlhamdulillAh :) ) is quite simple.
First, as someone else mentioned, do not be afraid of using a picture of a real rose as reference, not to trace it or anything, but just to look at how the petals are placed, how the stem lightly bends, and so on.
From this reference, draw the general exterior outline of the flower, and use natural hand strokes. Do not try to make the lines perfectly straight or perfectly curved, it will take away from the drawing. Usually, draw a line using one stroke, and make sure the exterior outline is thicker than the interior ones. Secondly, lightly draft the interior lines of the petals, by making them thicker where you would like to add shading. When your general outline of the entire drawing it done, free-hand additional lines on top of the ones you which to emphasize (this could be the center of the rose, where the petals close together, or the exterior opened petals)...if the rose in the image is tilted, then tilt the rose in your drawing, make sure to capture the curves of the leaves, petals and the stem...Try to draw the rose as though it was an exact image of the picture in front of you; follow the lines, forget the fact that it's a rose.

I had the perfect example for you, but I have no idea where I put it :(

Insh'Allah if I get the time today, I'll draw one up and post it as an example...inshAllah it will help you, best of luck!

Re.TiReD
06-16-2010, 01:03 PM
Gah the forum logged me out and lost my message.

Here's the almost finished piece I'll reply to individual posts later insha'Allah

Beardo
06-16-2010, 01:10 PM
^ Oh man masha-Allah. That is BEAUTIFUL. I love it anyway. And I love the red cloth background in the back. :p

Re.TiReD
06-16-2010, 04:37 PM
AssalamuAlaykum,

Sorry my previous reply that got eaten up was something like this.

Bro.Woodrow: Could you please explain what you meant by this part: for thinning use you want the matte finish however, the high sheen finish can give some interesting effects...is there some sort of product I can use to brush over the finished piece? I'm a bit worried about this piece because the background I've done a kind of magnolia creamy colour and I'm afraid over time it might get dirty or dusty or that if ppl try to dust it it might leave horrid marks :/ would the glazing liquid help prevent that?

Cat eyes...LOL thanks <_< not :p :wub:

Houda: I'm so going to print your post out insha'Allah and have it with me as ref the next time I paint a rose :D jazakAllah khayr :wub:

Bro.Rashad: JazakAllah khayr! Its not finished yet though its going to be part of a set of three.

-Elle-
06-16-2010, 08:17 PM
MashAllah it's absolutely gorgeous!!! Nice job, you should be the ones giving me tips! loool! Now I know who to turn to for help if I ever decide to take up painting again ;)

Woodrow
06-16-2010, 08:20 PM
AssalamuAlaykum,

Sorry my previous reply that got eaten up was something like this.

Bro.Woodrow: Could you please explain what you meant by this part: for thinning use you want the matte finish however, the high sheen finish can give some interesting effects...is there some sort of product I can use to brush over the finished piece? I'm a bit worried about this piece because the background I've done a kind of magnolia creamy colour and I'm afraid over time it might get dirty or dusty or that if ppl try to dust it it might leave horrid marks :/ would the glazing liquid help prevent that?
:sl:

There are quite a few products you can use to protect the painting. For pencil, silver-point, pastels, water colors, and charcoal the spray on fixatives work best.

For Acrylics and oils the brush on clear glazes work best. For most work the matte finish is best. But the high sheen finish/high gloss is great if you want a glossy photographic type effect. Just be certain your painting is fully dry be for brushing the glaze on. If any spot is even slightly wet, the glaze will smear it.

Candle
06-16-2010, 11:35 PM
That is beautiful. You are very talented. :)

Innocent Soul
06-17-2010, 01:03 AM
Subhanallah:statisfie
I cant believe it it's so beautiful and looks like a real rose.:omg: ;D

Grofica
06-19-2010, 09:35 AM
i love it... its beautiful....

Amat Allah
06-19-2010, 11:01 AM
Mashaa Allah , really beautiful my sweet sister, may Allah love you and be pleased with you always and for ever and make all your dreams hopes wishes and prayers come true Ameeeeeeen

I wish I can draw like you may Alla bless you and your amazing talent ameeen , I draw with the pencil only and I can`t use colors... ^^

Snowflake
06-19-2010, 11:11 AM
^Ameen :)

It's so beautiful sis Hafsa! MashaAllah :)

Can you paint a rose as it would look in the moonlight, and show the full moon in the back ground? That would be awesome! :)

Re.TiReD
06-19-2010, 03:31 PM
JazaKAllah khayr everybody and ameeeeeeen! :wub:

Scents of Jannah, I coullddddd but what colour shud I do it, a red rose? Insha'Allah I'll give it a shot x

Woodrow
06-19-2010, 04:37 PM
JazaKAllah khayr everybody and ameeeeeeen! :wub:

Scents of Jannah, I coullddddd but what colour shud I do it, a red rose? Insha'Allah I'll give it a shot x
For showing in moonlight I think a white or yellow would look best. a white rose is the most difficult to get proper shading in, but a yellow one is just as beautiful and easier to get the shading right.

Snowflake
06-20-2010, 09:34 AM
aww thanks sis.. you can take your time inshaAllah.. no rush ok? :)

For showing in moonlight I think a white or yellow would look best. a white rose is the most difficult to get proper shading in, but a yellow one is just as beautiful and easier to get the shading right.
Awesome uncle Woodrow! I was going to say white too! I'm not too keen on yellowy looking things.. they remind me of sickness :-\

I forgot to say your calligraphy's really nice too mashaAllah. It's great to see someone your age doing different things. I feel inspired. Jazak Allah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!