/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Incorrect pronounciation of dua and sura during prayer

Argamemnon
06-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Salam,

When I was a small kid I followed a course to read the Qur'an, but unfortunately it was very brief. I never went back because the teacher made me cry, lol. As a consequence I still can't read the Qur'an in Arabic and I can't seem to pronounce certain words in certain duas and suras correctly during namaz/salat... for example the "z" seems to be pronounced like a "d" but not quite. I do listen to mp3 of duas and suras but strangely; it's never the same!!

I sometimes read that your salat/namaz won't be accepted if you can't pronounce all the duas and suras right. This is funny, yesterday I read on some site that it can even lead to kufr. I found that extremely strange to be honest. I know that both my parents also can't pronounce all duas and suras correctly and many many other people I know can't either! Is the only solution to take a course? I could of course ask in the masjid if they provide courses for adults..

In the meantime, should I stop praying because incorrect pronunciation might lead to 'kufr' (!) according to that (in my opinion) idiotic site I was reading yesterday? Why do some Islamic scholars always have to make people afraid?? Unintentionally becoming a kafir (estagfirullah) is something I fear most in life :hiding:

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Asiyah3
06-22-2010, 05:24 PM
Reading Qur’aan with an accent in which some letters such as tha’ and dhal are altered

Question:
Is it permissible to read Qur'aan in the manner of some non-Arab people who pronounce letters such as tha’ as if it is seen, and dhal as if it is za’ and so on?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

It is obligatory to read Qur’aan with the letters with which Allaah has revealed it, with sound Arabic pronunciation, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And truly, this (the Qur’aan) is a revelation from the Lord of the ‘Aalameen(mankind, jinn and all that exists),

193. Which the trustworthy Rooh [Jibreel (Gabriel)] has brought down

194. Upon your heart (O Muhammad) that you may be (one) of the warners,

195. In the plain Arabic language”

[al-Shu’ara 26:192-195]

“Verily, We have sent it down as an Arabic Qur’aan in order that you may understand”

[Yoosuf 12:2]

It is not permissible for anyone to deliberately change any letter of it when he is able to pronounce it correctly. This is a kind of mistake which is a sin.

If a person finds it difficult to pronounce the letters correctly – such as people in whose language some of the Arabic letters, such as tha’, dhal and kha’ do not exist – they have to try to learn the correct pronunciation, but if they are unable to master it then they are excused, but their example should not be followed, and they should be called upon to strive their hardest to learn and correct their pronunciation. And none of them should lead the prayer, unless he is leading others like him who cannot pronounce well either.

Ibn al-Jazari (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Whoever is able to read the words of Allaah with correct Arabic pronunciation but he deliberately pronounces it incorrectly like a non-Arab, out of arrogance, stubbornness and complacency, or because he is too proud to go to a scholar who could help him to correct his pronunciation, is undoubtedly falling short and sinning and being dishonest. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Religion is sincerity: to Allaah, to His Book, to His Messenger, and to the leaders of the Muslims and their common folk.”

But if a person’s tongue will not obey him or he cannot find someone to teach him the correct pronunciation, then Allaah does not burden any soul beyond its scope.

End quote from al-Nashr fi’l-Qiraa’aat al-‘Ashr, 1/299

It should be noted that Allaah has made it easy to memorize and recite Qur’aan, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And We have indeed made the Qur’aan easy to understand and remember; then is there any one who will remember (or receive admonition)?”

[al-Qamar 54:17]

Hence we see many of our brothers in the countries referred to who are able to pronounce the letters perfectly, better than many of their Arab brothers. So you should strive to learn the correct pronunciation and recite Qur’aan with proper Tajweed, and not despair or give up.

And Allaah is the Source of strength.

SOURCE: http://islam-qa.com/en/ref/67586/

Seek
06-23-2010, 05:22 PM
Hello my friend,

Also to add to that, if some people who can't learn Arabic or it is hard for them to learn and pronounce the Quran in Arabic, they can say it in English. Because Allah wants us to read and recite something we understand. We don't say things we don't understand. For the meanwhile, if you don't understand what you say in Arabic, I advise you to say it in your language for now. Until you learn Arabic sometime, go for this now. Allah is merciful, remember that :)

May Allah reward you for trying and striving to learn.

Argamemnon
06-25-2010, 07:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Seek
Hello my friend,

Also to add to that, if some people who can't learn Arabic or it is hard for them to learn and pronounce the Quran in Arabic, they can say it in English. Because Allah wants us to read and recite something we understand. We don't say things we don't understand. For the meanwhile, if you don't understand what you say in Arabic, I advise you to say it in your language for now. Until you learn Arabic sometime, go for this now. Allah is merciful, remember that :)

May Allah reward you for trying and striving to learn.
Salam

I'm getting better, I keep listening and repeating..

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Salam:)
07-13-2010, 09:14 PM
Alhamdili'Allah Broter Aramemnon :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!