/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Midsummer coming up

Ibrahim_K
06-24-2010, 06:12 AM
Salaam,

In my country, Sweden, midsummer is a big cultural event with a lot of common activities such as eating certain food (strawberries), although I don't eat what is haraam. I have already declared that I am not going to celebrate a non-islamic event, but am I allowed to great others with "Happy midsummer" as the tradition is?

Thanks for your advice.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
marwen
06-24-2010, 01:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Azrael
Salaam,

In my country, Sweden, midsummer is a big cultural event with a lot of common activities such as eating certain food (strawberries), although I don't eat what is haraam. I have already declared that I am not going to celebrate a non-islamic event, but am I allowed to great others with "Happy midsummer" as the tradition is?

Thanks for your advice.
May be others can give more correct and detailed advices. But I don't think there is a problem in celebrating traditional events in your country, if they don't contain something haram or bida'ah (invent some activity and add it to islam), or something from other religions (like christmas). If it's just non religious tradition and without haram activities, then it's ok. Wa Allahu Aalam.

sandra
06-24-2010, 03:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by marwen
. But I don't think there is a problem in celebrating traditional events in your country, if they don't contain something haram or bida'ah (invent some activity and add it to islam), .
yes l say as marwen as that corrct

waleedsss
06-25-2010, 12:20 AM
yes, it's true,but in the same way show our great Islamic manners to them as you can every moment,thanks for observing your religion orders.Allah is with you,

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Seek
06-25-2010, 12:30 AM
According to what I have been taught in school.

You are to greet them in the national days that the country has. For example independence day or any such. We are to greet back on their religious days and I think greet them I'm not sure on this part. But we are not to take part in their religious days like Christmas. I hope my brothers here will make it more clearer.

All the best.

Dagless
06-25-2010, 01:35 AM
But I don't think there is a problem in celebrating traditional events in your country, if they don't contain something haram or bida'ah (invent some activity and add it to islam)
If it is something which occurs at the same time every year and you celebrate it, then wouldn't that in itself be bidah?

nousername
06-25-2010, 03:13 AM
I dont see what's the big deal if it's not religious? Who doesn't love strawberries? Just think of "midsummer" as a way to thank Allah for the blessings he has provided that happen midsummer such as beautiful weather, fruit, etc.

marwen
06-25-2010, 05:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless
If it is something which occurs at the same time every year and you celebrate it, then wouldn't that in itself be bidah?
bidah is something which is done in the name of islam (like celebrating the birthday of the prophet peace and blessing upon him), it's dangerous because it's considered as addition to islam, as if islam was originally incomplete or incorrect.

If it has nothing to do with islam : just celebrating ordinary annual events (midsummer, festivals, ...) it's not considered as bidah. Wallahu aalam.

Ramadhan
06-25-2010, 09:59 AM
bid'ah (innovation) in ibadah (acts of worships) is banned, but bid'ah in other aspects of life is allowed.

And I don't think celebration of summer (such as eating strawberries and exchanging pleasantries with neighbors) is ibadah, as long as we don't give it any importance other than what it actually is. The danger is if we consider it as something important, such as what christians did by elevating pagan holidays into religious holidays or as what some muslims do by holding religious events which involve ibadah to celebrate the birth of prophet Muhammad SAW.

I could be wrong though.

tango92
06-26-2010, 06:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
The danger is if we consider it as something important, such as what christians did by elevating pagan holidays into religious holidays or as what some muslims do by holding religious events which involve ibadah to celebrate the birth of prophet Muhammad SAW.

I could be wrong though.
cant ibaadah on rasulullahs birthday just be thought of as nawafil? if i choose to read an extra nafl salah on a certain day you wouldnt call it bid'a. i thought it meant changing already fixed methods of worship.

Dagless
07-24-2010, 01:31 PM
bidah is something which is done in the name of islam (like celebrating the birthday of the prophet peace and blessing upon him), it's dangerous because it's considered as addition to islam, as if islam was originally incomplete or incorrect.

If it has nothing to do with islam : just celebrating ordinary annual events (midsummer, festivals, ...) it's not considered as bidah. Wallahu aalam.
If this is the case then why is the celebration of ones own birthday not allowed? It not being an act of worship.
The festival is a non-Muslim event and celebrated at roughly the same time every year. The same could be said for birthdays, independence day, new years etc. They are "traditional" and not "in the name of Islam".

tw009
07-30-2010, 11:09 PM
What is Midsummer? is this mostly celebrated in Europe or what?

JSTOR
08-01-2010, 09:49 AM
Bro, to be celebrating a day you need to UNDERSTAND what your celebrating. Mid-summers days is a great event for pagans and sorcerers alike as well as fortune tellers. As Europe was mainly a pagan country in history they still have paganistic rituals evident in society such has halloweens here in britian mid-summers in your country. Hope that helps..also i have heard if something comes round omce a year, involves a large gathering then this intiself is a form of worship hence birthdays as well. hope that helps.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!