/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Dress for Comfort or Beauty?

Beardo
06-26-2010, 10:43 PM
Do you dress for comfort or beauty?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
marwen
06-26-2010, 10:50 PM
I sometimes forget about beauty :D for example, when it's very cold, I put on all my clothes, no matter how beautiful I should be lol. But in general I care about both.

CosmicPathos
06-26-2010, 10:58 PM
I dress because I have to cover up my private parts. Neither do I dress for comfort nor do I dress for beauty. But I might have to start dressing for "beauty" if I am to ever get married in today's corrupt world.

cat eyes
06-26-2010, 11:24 PM
haha you guys make me laugh honestly! i dress for comfort anyways

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
-Elle-
06-26-2010, 11:25 PM
simple;

work, school, sports = comfort all the way. Can't function if I'm not comfortable.

weddings (all women of course,hehe) , invitations to friends' house, important event = beauty.

Beauty as in being properly dressed and taking time to see what goes good with what, not dressed to attract attention with shiny shimmery things all over the place.

Men have it so easy, everything they own is pretty much comfortable, and the simplest things can look good (ex; polo and jeans)..unless you're working in some firm and obliged to wear a suit everyday!

Nevertheless...women have abayas. So I guess it goes both ways now that I think of it.lol So i'll vote comfort!

CosmicPathos
06-26-2010, 11:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
Allhamdulillah :D

Danah
06-26-2010, 11:34 PM
Actually it depends on the place and the time you will spend wearing those clothes on. For example going to work is different than going to visit a friend or going to the park. Also wearing something while you are traveling from one place to another and spend long hours wearing that specific type of clothes is different than going to some place for an hour or so.

محمد
06-27-2010, 01:06 AM
I definitely dress for comfort only. I am generally very indifferent to what people are thinking about my dress.

I mean I feel like someone is choking me if I have to wear pants.

Dagless
06-27-2010, 01:40 AM
Combat.

*loads his AK-47.

محمد
06-27-2010, 07:39 AM
I am unable to post in most of the threads... why is this happening?

Ibrahim_K
06-27-2010, 10:19 AM
Both. I usually wear tight jeans and a shirt with a costume jacket.

Salahudeen
06-27-2010, 10:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Azrael
Both. I usually wear tight jeans and a shirt with a costume jacket.

You do not wear skinny jeans do you? +o( baggy jeans are comfier I think as you're not constricted.

Ibrahim_K
06-27-2010, 01:26 PM
Not THAT skinny. :p

Muslimeen
06-28-2010, 08:47 AM
For the pleasure of Allah by following the sunnah of Muhammad Sallalahu Allaihi Wassalam.

Snowflake
06-28-2010, 09:52 AM
I dress for comfort only because we shouldn't be trying to look beautiful outside. But if I'm really in the mood I'll just do a little fashion when I'm home lol :laugh:

Ansariyah
06-28-2010, 08:04 PM
Comfort all the way!

But comfort is fashionable its in! Loose Alladin pants are in style now...: )

زهراء
06-29-2010, 10:58 AM
I dress for comfort but sometimes for beauty depending on the occasion if male and female are seperate

Beardo
06-29-2010, 01:30 PM
Dressing for comfort doesn't necessarily mean dressing in an ugly fashion, you know.

I think the poll is flawed. I think majority of us dress for beauty. When we go to the store, we don't necessarily pick out the most loose or baggiest item. We pick the best looking and best designed. I don't think most of us first look for comfort. Just saying. What do oyu guys think?

زهراء
06-29-2010, 06:55 PM
^True.
But I think it's interlinked. If you dress for comfort you'll still wear something you look good in and if you dress for beauty you'll wear something that you comfortable in, although you might emphasize on one

S_87
06-30-2010, 11:38 AM
both can be combined unless by comfort you mean PJs all day?

Rabi'ya
06-30-2010, 07:54 PM
Everyone has their individual style. even if dressing for comfort or dressing for beauty/fashion. you need to be confortable in what you go out in else ull feel selfconcious. its quite easy to combine both but still dress modestly and appropriately.

Somaiyah
06-30-2010, 09:06 PM
Modesty in first place. Comfort in second place. Beauty in no place at all. What is beauty worth if we are not correctly dressed because men look at our beauty? Clothes is nothing if we don't hide our beauty.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-30-2010, 09:11 PM
Suprisingly and amazingly something happened to me today (not gona mention) relating to Modesty ALhamdulilaah it helps other to realise and a good reminder for them we are not here in this Dunya for ever and we will return to our lord and what are we to say to him! we must keep that in our mind solid! :D Alhamdulilaah for Islaam it taught us Humans of what we knew not!

syed_z
06-30-2010, 09:14 PM
Well.... should take advantage of Blessings being bestowed by Allah (swt)... in that case many are given money by Allah (Swt) and they should use it to buy clothes, which are good, and they should look good... BUT within the Limits prescribed by Allah (swt) for men and women....

Allah (swt) bestows Blessings so one can use them and We also get Thawab and reward for it.... as long as we don't misuse it... :)

syed_z
06-30-2010, 09:15 PM
i know women CAN dress and look good infront of other Women...

Raziah
07-03-2010, 07:00 AM
Actually, I dress for comfort. I really hate to right tight clothes, it is so painful.

syed_z
07-03-2010, 10:25 AM
(7:26) Oh Children of Adam! Indeed, We have bestowed upon you from on High (the knowledge of making) garments to cover your nakedness, and as thing of beauty: but the garment of God Consciousness is the best of all. Herein lie a Message from God, so that man might take it to heart.

..to cover your nakedness and as thing of beauty... beauty is mentioned by Allah (swt) , so we are not to forget to look good, even though we are to cover ourselves according to the limits prescribed by Allah... and God Consciousness (taqwa) , is the BEST garment for our Heart and Soul, which will inshAllah enable us to keep within limits of Allah regarding what we wear on our bodies...

syilla
07-05-2010, 09:26 AM
salams...

i would like to dress because of Allah swt of course...but 2nd for my own satisfaction and who cares if ppl think i dress weirdly huhu :p

PouringRain
07-11-2010, 09:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
Dressing for comfort doesn't necessarily mean dressing in an ugly fashion, you know.

I think the poll is flawed. I think majority of us dress for beauty. When we go to the store, we don't necessarily pick out the most loose or baggiest item. We pick the best looking and best designed. I don't think most of us first look for comfort. Just saying. What do oyu guys think?
I agree that dressing for comfort doesn't necessarily mean you have to look ugly.

I disagree about picking out something that looks good for going to the store. If I am running to the store I am more concerned with dressing modestly and comfortable, than with looking good. I honestly do not care if anyone thinks I am attractive or not. :)

Asiyah3
07-11-2010, 09:30 PM
Both it is Al-hamdulillah.

In shoe shops comfort precedes. I've learned a great lesson al-hamdulillah. V_V

Cabdullahi
07-11-2010, 09:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
thats just dust in the eyes

Life_Is_Short
07-11-2010, 10:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanoorah
Comfort all the way!

Is that what they're called? hmph <_<

They're a waste of fabric. I can make three outfit's with that much material.

Cabdullahi
07-12-2010, 12:04 PM
Comfort all the way!

sitting on a small carpet in the middle of the city centre is pretty cool too

Ansariyah
07-12-2010, 09:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Life_Is_Short
Is that what they're called? hmph <_<

They're a waste of fabric. I can make three outfit's with that much material.
They're also called 'Harem pants':p:....

I think they're awesome.....got no taste?:shade:

waleedsss
07-13-2010, 10:55 AM
I believe that wearing clothes should submit to islamic prospective rather than for beauty or comfort...

mht
11-19-2010, 06:21 AM
There should be an option "D": Fi-sabilillah ;D ... just a thought.

GuestFellow
11-19-2010, 11:42 AM
:sl:

I wear clothes because not to be naked. I could careless about fashion and beauty. I am not out there to impress anyone. I hate shopping for clothes, it is so boring. I even hate getting a haircut because I hate sitting there for 15 minutes. I like to dress simple. I don't care about the latest trainers or spend £500 on a shirt. So I go for comfort.

S.Belle
12-09-2010, 09:17 PM
They're also called 'Harem pants'....

..I thought they were called Hammer pants....lol

i would say a mixture of both
i like to look well groomed and presentable but if its not comfortable or it costs a ridiculous price im not going to wear/buy it....unless its heels:omg:

Beardo
12-09-2010, 11:42 PM
I put both, but I think I'd put an emphasis on beauty, honestly speaking. But then again, beauty holds a feminine connotation. So I'll say, I put an emphasis on handsomeness. (I mean, I AM a man, after all.)

☆ღUmm Uthmanღ☆
12-09-2010, 11:46 PM
Both for sure,

Allah is beautiful & loves Beauty,

Beauty refers not to fancy tight clothing, <<(more like for attraction n discomfort)

So be it indoor or outdoor, both matters.

Beardo
12-09-2010, 11:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ☆ღUmm Uthmanღ☆
Both for sure,

Allah is beautiful & loves Beauty,

Beauty refers not to fancy tight clothing, <<(more like for attraction n discomfort)

So be it indoor or outdoor, both matters.
tight clothing is immodesty. Immodesty and beauty are complete opposites. :)

Tyrion
12-10-2010, 12:08 AM
Both for sure. Looking good and presentable is always important. :p

'Abd-al Latif
12-10-2010, 12:12 AM
:salamext:

O Children of Adam! We have bestowed garments upon you to cover your shame, as well as to be an adornment to you. But the best of garments is the garment of taqwa. Such are among the Signs of Allah, that they may receive admonition! [7:26]

muslimahhhh
12-10-2010, 01:50 AM
^Exactly^

JazakAllah for that vs.

Yanal
12-10-2010, 02:09 AM
Comfort,alhumdulilah..

Beardo
12-10-2010, 02:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
Comfort,alhumdulilah..
Masha-Allah, you dress well too. I saw your trophy picture. :statisfie

Amoeba
12-16-2010, 12:26 PM
Beauty is so subjective. Some would say that I don't dress for beauty, my mum would go as far to say I don't have any self respect because I don't dress for beauty. But to me what I wear is more beautiful than any earrings or makeup or glittery, tight, colourful clothing, fancy hair... ugh I just find all that stuff so ugly, especially on me (I've never worn it willingly, only when my mum forced me as a teenager, which I protested a lot). Just plain clothes that cover and my face looking how Allah intended it to look. That is beauty to me. To be honest, I think most people (actually talking mostly about women since women are more prone to wanting to 'beautify' themselves, if you want to call it beautifying) look more beautiful that way, there's something far more raw and natural about it that really appeals to me. I think people act differently too when they're not hiding behind a mask of clothing, makeup and fancy hairstyles.

Comfort is extremely important to me. I can't even wear socks with seams. I have to buy seamless socks because seams just drive me insane. That and tags. I have to cut off the tags off everything (the ones that are supposed to stay there, such as the ones with washing instructions). Finding baggy enough clothes is hard. Even very baggy clothes, I don't feel comfortable if I can feel it pinching or tightening even just a little when I sit. It just annoys me all day. That's why they need to be uber baggy. I don't wear tight things even underneath my baggier clothes. I literally feel sick and I remember once I almost puked because of it. At the same time I need to know that my clothes are going to offer high flexibility. If I can't move in them well (such as, for example, for fear of losing my modesty) I don't wear them. So anything with an open bottom, such as skirts, go completely out the window. When I wore skirts as a kid I always felt incredibly suppressed by them and to wear them now sets my anxiety off.

Comfort > beauty by other poeple's standards. But to me comfort goes hand-in-hand with beauty.

Endymion
12-16-2010, 05:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by محمد
I am unable to post in most of the threads... why is this happening?
Because you are a limited member :D You need to score 50 post to become unlimited lol :p
Im not sure why is that for coz i also dont read the COC :p so im facing the same problem :cry: I cant edit my posts,cant post in most of the sections and also,cant post any link (and thats the worst part imsad ) But as im smart enough to find out the logics my self :p so i discovered that this is to save the board from spammers and things like that :D So,no worries,feel happy,score 50 and read the first sticky thread in "General conversation" section,it will help you :D

***Back to the Topic***
I vote for both because i think dress deals with both the issues.A dress should cover your your body properly which is the basic thing and according to the Islamic point of view.It should be loose and does not show your body shape (and obviously loose dresses are comfortable :statisfie ).And beauty is a must because both the creator and his creations love beauty :)
Your dress actually represents your personality,your way of thinking in first place so it should express all the colors you have in you :statisfie

Rafeeq
12-17-2010, 04:40 PM
Dressing, no doubt, should be comfortable but wellness is to be considered always. I think mostly members who posted here COMFORTABLE voted for both. :omg:

Perseveranze
12-19-2010, 01:02 AM
Asalaamu Alaikum,

I used to for Beauty or "coolness", but that was before I started to take my religion seriously. Now I just do it for comfort, everyone's equal in front of Allah(swt)'s except in Peity.

Muslimah099
12-19-2010, 05:13 PM
for me, a jilbab and hijab is beautiful and comfortable.
you can walk outside in your favorite PJ's but no one can see because you've got a beautifully embroidered jilbab and hijab :D

mwaraitch
01-14-2011, 10:53 PM
Its comfort coupled with beauty.

Ramadhan
01-15-2011, 01:54 AM
beauty is definitely subjective, so we should dressed up according to what is allowed in Islam.

during my "jahiliyya" time, i used to think women look great and beautiful in modern western clothing.
Now I definitely think women in hijaab and loose clothing are definitely more beautiful.

Esther462
01-15-2011, 09:53 PM
I dress for Comfort and modesty. I just wear what I feel comfortble in. I hate being uncomfortble in my clothes. I sometime wear full Islamic dress and sometime westen dress with hijab on. I never got out with just trouser on, exsepted when going horse riding, I always wear a meadim length dress or skirt over the top of my trousers.

highway4
01-16-2011, 03:52 AM
Assalamu Alaikum,
I dress for both... Comfort and Beauty... I think that one needs to be comfortable according to their own requirements and that beauty shines through modesty... I believe that we dress accordingly to what Allah swt has prescribed for us and for other people to recognise that we are muslims.. I guess it really depends how we truly define beauty...to me if we are reffering to been a a bit dressy or basicly enhancing it, that i would confine it to the boundries of my home and for my husband only ...

yahia12
01-20-2011, 11:21 AM
its in our nature for beauty and comfort comes second :)

Samiro
01-21-2011, 12:09 AM
Comfort definitely comes first, which means I will look "sloppy" being dressed in sporty clothes most of the time. I wear jeans when I have to.

Xena
01-30-2011, 01:00 AM
Do you dress for comfort or beauty?
I usually do it for both :]

Faatin
02-13-2011, 06:29 AM
Usually it's for comfort, but if I go somewhere fancy and formal it's both. But still how can you feel beautiful in something you're not comfortable in? o.O

Beardo
02-13-2011, 02:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Faatin
Usually it's for comfort, but if I go somewhere fancy and formal it's both. But still how can you feel beautiful in something you're not comfortable in? o.O
lol! Well, I suppose it can work interchangeably.

To some extent, I think I do choose beauty over comfort. Maybe. Not sure. It depends how you look at it.

But I don't look for brand names etc. If I like how it looks and I need it, I'll get it. Otherwise, don't know, don't care. ;D

Ummshareef
02-13-2011, 04:46 PM
I would say that above all I dress for the pleasure of Allah subhana wa ta'alaa. Obeying His commands in this matter is a far higher priority than beauty or comfort. If I feel a little hot and uncomfortable in my jilbaab, I just remember how hot the Hellfire must be and that soon puts my discomfot in perspective. Beauty is not a consideration at all - when I go out the last thing I want is for anyone to think I look beautiful, I just want to be annonymous, not something for them to feast their eyes on. What beauty I may have is for by husband only.

Aprender
02-13-2011, 05:11 PM
I dress for comfort always. The beauty I have is inside. Even during special occasions I can still look presentable and be comfortable for all. I don't like it when I am unnecessarily the center of attention for others. I like to be incognito. :)

IbnAbdulHakim
02-13-2011, 11:32 PM
i havent ever even thought about this

i wear a work uniforum, wear tracksuits n tshirt at home.

if i ever visit someone i wear trousers and shirt (loose of course)

to pray i wear a prayer cap, i have a beard.

umm what category do i fit into? lol

i've always thought being presentable in public and for guests to be important in islam?

IslamicRevival
02-14-2011, 02:06 AM
A bit of both, Mostly comfort.

Great thread Rashad, makes you think!

Faatin
02-14-2011, 03:21 AM
lol! Well, I suppose it can work interchangeably.

To some extent, I think I do choose beauty over comfort. Maybe. Not sure. It depends how you look at it.

But I don't look for brand names etc. If I like how it looks and I need it, I'll get it. Otherwise, don't know, don't care. ;D
Same. Never been into brandnames. I'm more into how it looks/fits who cares about a label ^_^

LightLine
02-21-2011, 08:08 PM
I dress for both

ameena.hannan
02-23-2011, 12:45 PM
There are really some beautiful modest clothes available nowadays :) I really like Aab stuff. I do wear basic clothes underneath my abaya most days though...as I'm cold! Hehe

P.S. I would post a link to Aab but I'm not allowed to yet

Beardo
03-25-2011, 07:35 PM
I recently bought a trench coat. 55% beauty, 45% comfort. But it's definitely very comfortable as well.

lausiv
03-26-2011, 09:40 AM
is it ok to wear jeans?

Ali Mujahidin
03-26-2011, 04:05 PM
As salaam mualaikum.

For me, the Muslim attire is both comfortable and beautiful. However the reason I wear the jubah/kurta, salwa and serban all the time is that I have sinned so much that I need every little bit of blessing I can get to shorten the time I will have to spend in nar. I have read that a person who can practice even just one of the smallest part of the sunnah will be rewarded with the equivalent of 100 martyrs, insha Allah. At the same time, I must keep on resisting the urge to feel superior to other Muslims because of my attire.

Haya emaan
03-30-2011, 04:23 PM
first priority to comfort.. beauty just comes when there's any special occasion or guests to come...

Revert 2010
03-31-2011, 08:42 PM
Salaam, I dress like am going to the gym all the time at weekends, during the week I look like something from the Godfather lol.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-31-2011, 08:52 PM
Comfort all the way!

They should never have been out lol. It's always been my favorite. Pakistani clothes have a bit of that style.

I cant quite choose for this poll...its subjective I think...depends where you are, the occasion. If its not comfy and nice i wont wear it. It can be nice and not comfy at all.

You can look nice and still be modest and comfortable. If it had "fi sabilillah" i would have voted that...

Reflections
04-01-2011, 12:50 PM
If someone saw me they'd think I'm oppressing myself..ultimatly how I dress covers both beauty and comfort alhumdulilah..only few know the true beauty of 'hijaab' by which I'm not just referring to the 'head scarf'.

Ranya
04-03-2011, 09:50 PM
I dress for comfort. I can't stay in front of my wardrobe for more of 5 minutes.

cinnamonrolls1
02-15-2018, 08:15 PM
Deffo confort!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!