/* */

PDA

View Full Version : RAJAB - the sacred month

mrashidhai
06-30-2010, 08:31 AM
RAJAB – the sacred month. M. Rashid Hai

The month of Rajab is one of the sacred months of which Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Verily, the number of months with Allaah is twelve months (in a year), so was it ordained by Allaah on the Day when He created the heavens and the earth; of them four are Sacred. That is the right religion, so wrong not yourselves therein” [al-Tawbah 9:36]
The sacred months are: Rajab, Dhu’l-Qa’dah, Dhu’l-Hijjah and Muharram. [Al-Bukhaari (4662) and Muslim (1679)]

These months are called sacred for two reasons:
1- Because fighting therein is forbidden unless initiated by the enemy
2- Because transgression of the sacred limits therein is worse than at other times.

Hence Allaah has forbidden us to commit sins during these months, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):
“wrong not yourselves therein” [al-Tawbah 9:36]

Although committing sins is haraam and forbidden during these months and at other times, in these months it is more forbidden.

The Sacred months have a special status, which applies also to Rajab because it is one of these sacred months. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Violate not the sanctity of the Symbols of Allaah, nor of the Sacred Month…” [al-Maa’idah 5:2]

This means: do not violate their sanctity which Allaah has commanded you to respect and forbidden you to violate, for this prohibition includes both vile deeds and vile beliefs.

But unfortunately some people have innovated a number of practices in Rajab, including the following:

1. Qiyaam al-Layl (worshiping) at the night of Rajab 27- the supposed date of Shabe Ma’iraj
2. Fasting on the following day of Shabe Ma’iraj
3. Preferring to offer Umrah in the month of Rajab
4. Offering ‘salaat al-Raghaa’ib on the first Friday night of Rajab
5. The du’aa’s which are recited specifically during Rajab
6. Visiting graves specifically in Rajab
7. Celebrating an occasion called Koondas (in Urdu language)

All these are innovations (bid’ah) and our religion is very clear about innovations (the bid’ah). Allah says in surah al-Maaidah (5:3) “This day, I have perfected your religion for you, completed My Favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion”

In the saheeh ahaadeeth it is proven that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) warned against bid’ah (innovation) and stated clearly that it is misguidance.

In Saheeh Muslim it is narrated that Jaabir (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to say in his khutbah on Friday: “The best of speech is the Book of Allaah and the best of guidance is the guidance of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The worst of matters are those which are newly-invented, and every innovation is a going astray.” Al-Nasaa’i added with a jayyid isnaad: “and every one going astray will be in the Fire.”

Qiyaam al-Layl and fasting in Rajab:

The night of the 27th of Rajab is supposed (not authenticated by any Qura’nic verse or saheeh hadith) to be the anniversary of the Prophet’s miraculous night journey from Makkah to Jerusalem and his ascension to Heaven. This event took place three years before the Prophet’s emigration to Madinah. When we make a thorough study of the Prophet’s life, we find that at no time during the intervening period of thirteen years between this event and his passing away did he commemorate that event or encouraged or recommended any of his companions to commemorate it in any way. He did not single out that anniversary for night worship or the following day for fasting. Hence, neither action is required or recommended.

Al-Haafiz ibn Hajar said in Tabayyun al-‘Ajab bimaa wurida fi Fadl Rajab:
No saheeh hadeeth that may be used as evidence has been narrated concerning the virtues of the month of Rajab or fasting this month or fasting in any specific part of it, or observing Qiyaam al-Layl specifically during this month. Imaam Abu Ismaa’eel al-Harawi al-Haafiz has already stated this before me, and we have narrated this from others also.

There is no saheeh report from the Prophet SAWS (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) or from the Sahaabah to indicate that there is any particular virtue in fasting during Rajab.
Imaam Ibn al-Qayyim said: the Prophet SAWS (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not fast for three consecutive months (i.e., Rajab, Sha’baan and Ramadaan) as some people do, and he never fasted Rajab at all, nor did he encourage people to fast this month.

Umrah during Rajab:

Hazrat Aaisha –may Allah be pleased with her- said, “May Allaah have mercy on Abu ‘Abd al-Rahmaan, [the Prophet SAWS (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)] never did ‘Umrah but he witnesses it (i.e., he was present with him), and he never did ‘Umrah during Rajab.” (Agreed upon).

Salaat al-Raghaa’ib:

This prayer became widespread after the first and especially in the fourth century AH. Some liars fabricated this prayer that consists of 12 rakah, which is done between ‘maghreb’ and ‘isha’ prayers on the first night of Rajab.
Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:
Salaat al-Raghaa’ib is bid’ah according to the consensus of the scholars of religion, such as Maalik, al-Shaafa’i, Abu Haneefah, al-Thawri, al-‘Oozaa’i, al-Layth and others . The hadeeth that is narrated concerning it is a lie according to the consensus of the scholars who have knowledge of hadeeth.

Du’aa’s which are recited specifically during Rajab and visiting graves:

All narrations, regarding duaa’s which are specifically to be recited during Rajab and visiting graves, are fabrications and innovations.

Celebrating an occasion called Koondas (in Urdu) in Rajab:

Some people (in Indo-Pakistan) celebrate an occasion called Koondas (in urdu language) which involves reciting the Fatihah for Ja’far Sadiq a great many times, and feeding the poor as Sadaqah (i.e. charity) on his behalf, in the month of Rajab.
Celebrations of such occasions are bid’ah and are not mentioned in Islamic traditions.

In fact, in sharee’ah, the ‘ibada’at’ (worships) are only those that are prescribed by Allah swta and His messenger Hazrat Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). However, all the ibada’at (worships) become bid’ah (innovation) when these are performed on specific days or nights, believing they are better than others and have special virtues. These ‘ibadaat’ are not recommended by Qura’n and saheeh hadith and have no basis in sharee’ah.

O Allah! Forgive my mistakes and my ignorance, and exceeding the limit and forgive whatever You know better than I. O Allah! Forgive the wrong I have done jokingly or seriously and forgive my accidental and intentional errors, all that is present in me. (Bukhari 2085)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Raziah
07-02-2010, 05:33 PM
Ohh, this is very good.
Thanks for sharing it with us.

kite runner
07-08-2010, 07:38 PM
good post Jazak Allah khair

muslimahhhh
07-08-2010, 07:40 PM
salamualaikum

JazakAllahu Khair for sharing.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Neelofar
07-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Salaamz! :D

That was very useful, provided me with good insight.. thank you!

abdussattar
07-10-2010, 08:25 AM
How come Ramdhaan ain't sacred?

Huma*
07-10-2010, 09:30 AM
I was thinking to ask the same, regarding Rajab. Thanks for posting.... Very informative article.

Jazak Allah.

Huma*
07-10-2010, 10:28 AM
I want to ask a question in regard of koondas/Fatiha
How can I explain someone who celebrate koondas, that this is forbidden in islam... I mean is there a hadith or some quranic verses?
Apart from Rajab koondas there are number of ocassions,where ppl recite/perform Fatiha on food and make sadqah, specially on 12th Rabi ul Awwal.
I know a number of people around me who celebrate it but I can't properly explain them that such things are not allowed in islam. How can I prove my point?

mrashidhai
07-10-2010, 01:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Huma*
I want to ask a question in regard of koondas/Fatiha
How can I explain someone who celebrate koondas, that this is forbidden in islam... I mean is there a hadith or some quranic verses?
Apart from Rajab koondas there are number of ocassions,where ppl recite/perform Fatiha on food and make sadqah, specially on 12th Rabi ul Awwal.
I know a number of people around me who celebrate it but I can't properly explain them that such things are not allowed in islam. How can I prove my point?
The answer is very simple. What ever is in conformity with Qur'an and Sunnah take it otherwise leave it.

Huma*
07-10-2010, 04:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by zÂk
You don't have to present proofs and prove anything. They must present the proofs for what they think is a part of Islam.

Do you read urdu?
Yes, I can read urdu.

format_quote Originally Posted by mrashidhai
The answer is very simple. What ever is in conformity with Qur'an and Sunnah take it otherwise leave it.
Can I forward this article to my friends?

tw009
07-11-2010, 03:50 AM
Jazakallah for sharing this. I was not aware of Qiyaam al-Layl and fasting in Rajab is a form of Biddah :(

Salam:)
07-13-2010, 07:40 AM
Jazak Allah khair Brother nice post.

JSTOR
07-13-2010, 09:00 AM
salamu alequm interesting read, however, and i think someone else brought this up , what about ramadhan . I would assume it to be regarded as highly important.

mrashidhai
07-26-2010, 07:27 AM
The month of Rajab is one of the sacred months of which Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Verily, the number of months with Allaah is twelve months (in a year), so was it ordained by Allaah on the Day when He created the heavens and the earth; of them four are Sacred. That is the right religion, so wrong not yourselves therein” [al-Tawbah 9:36]
The sacred months are: Rajab, Dhu’l-Qa’dah, Dhu’l-Hijjah and Muharram. [Al-Bukhaari (4662) and Muslim (1679)]

The month of 'Sha'baan' has its own significance. Rasool Allah sws described this month of Sha'baan as his month. He sws used to fast excessively in this month.

'Aleena
06-03-2012, 07:10 AM
:sl:
Ibn Rajab used to say: “The year is like a tree. The days of Rajab are its foliation. The days of Sha’ban are its branching and the days of Ramadan are wherein its fruits are reaped. The reapers are the believers. It is befitting for the one who has blackened his pages with sins to whiten them with repentance in this month, and for the one who has squandered his life in idleness to profit in it from what remains of his life.”

http://www.suhaibwebb.com/personaldv...onth-of-rajab/

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!