/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS)

Argamemnon
07-05-2010, 02:13 PM
I'm seeing my doctor soon because I have horrible pain in my legs, like electric shock and burning sensations. When I was googling a few days ago I learned that there is a disease called restless legs syndrome and it describes the pain I feel very accurately.. currently I'm using my mother's strong painkillers called tramadol here (Ultram in the U.S. I think)..

anyway, I would like to know if this disease is curable? Because if it turns out that I have RLS and it's not curable, I'm afraid I will have to use strong painkillers my whole life. I can't sit for long periods, I have to walk, stretch, exercise and move.. but the pain always comes back when I sit down :hmm:

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
07-05-2010, 02:38 PM
believe it or not ultram can give you the very sensations you are describing. Please DON'T self-medicate.. this condition isn't treated with ultram as a first line drug, rather anticholinergics or Parkinsons meds. or even seizure medications. STOP diagnosing and treating yourself!!!

anxiety is a great mimicker.. one day it will present as chronic fatigue, the other as RLS, the next as a heart attack, and if everyday you think you are suffering something new and self-medicating then you'll be leading yourself a very dangerous path.

go and soak in the bath tub and then busy yourself with something like an exercise!

Argamemnon
07-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the quick reply sister. Don't worry, I have taken tramadol only once (yesterday). I'm not treating myself and I would never use any pills for longer periods without prescription. I will definitely see my doctor soon. I'm exercising more, I know what I should and shouldn't do, but first I need to see my doctor. :w:

جوري
07-05-2010, 03:27 PM
Br. Ar.

There is nothing that is wrong with you, I want you to see a doctor for your own peace of mind, but I would really recommend you see a therapist for cognitive behavioral therapy or hypnotism which I think will benefit you tremendously.. so long as you don't know what it causing you to feel as you do, it will keep manifesting in a ton of different forms (and believe me I can relate to it) because I have been there and am still there but I change certain things about my perception so that the symptomatology doesn't last more than transient seconds. today it will be CFS, tomorrow RLS, the day after fibromyalgia, the day after a GBM, the day after ALS, the day after MS.. you'll torture yourself with it and you won't live happily.. We are not meant to live alone.. (I shouldn't be advising that) because I myself prefer my seclusion but we aren't created for that kind of life style, we are social animals, we want to be loved, we want to have friends.. it is a few reasons that keep us in isolation, I'd say in my case I have just grown comfortable this way and don't want to make the effort, but that is wrong, and still I force myself to do a great many things that I don't want just to not be a complete hermit...

Believe me once you get back into the groove of things, make friends, perhaps find a nice wife who will be your friend and confidant especially during those difficult days, you'll find that the duration and intensity of what you feel will become less and less manifest until they completely dissipate, you'll be busied with new things that will take you out of this dark cloud that hovers over your head and doesn't seem to want to let go..

I know perhaps some of what I have written above seems cheeky and out of place (and perhaps I am the last person to give advise) considering my own hermitage -- but I care for you and I want you to find peace and happiness insha'Allah and may Allah swt bless you with both in this life and the one to come ..

ameen

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Banu_Hashim
07-05-2010, 03:36 PM
I remember reading on this condition; as far as I know the exact cause of Restless Leg Syndrome is unknown. It could be inadequate circulation, nerve damage or a deficiency of iron, folic acid or vitamin B12.

Do what sister skye said and go and book an appointment with your GP if the symptoms you described persist.

Woodrow
07-05-2010, 03:40 PM
In most cases Restless leg syndrome type symptoms are caused by easily taken care of by simple treatment usually just needing a potassium supplement for a short time. But, always check with a doctor and resist the temptation to self medicate.

Argamemnon
07-05-2010, 06:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ
Br. Ar.

There is nothing that is wrong with you, I want you to see a doctor for your own peace of mind, but I would really recommend you see a therapist for cognitive behavioral therapy or hypnotism which I think will benefit you tremendously.. so long as you don't know what it causing you to feel as you do, it will keep manifesting in a ton of different forms (and believe me I can relate to it) because I have been there and am still there but I change certain things about my perception so that the symptomatology doesn't last more than transient seconds. today it will be CFS, tomorrow RLS, the day after fibromyalgia, the day after a GBM, the day after ALS, the day after MS.. you'll torture yourself with it and you won't live happily.. We are not meant to live alone.. (I shouldn't be advising that) because I myself prefer my seclusion but we aren't created for that kind of life style, we are social animals, we want to be loved, we want to have friends.. it is a few reasons that keep us in isolation, I'd say in my case I have just grown comfortable this way and don't want to make the effort, but that is wrong, and still I force myself to do a great many things that I don't want just to not be a complete hermit...

Believe me once you get back into the groove of things, make friends, perhaps find a nice wife who will be your friend and confidant especially during those difficult days, you'll find that the duration and intensity of what you feel will become less and less manifest until they completely dissipate, you'll be busied with new things that will take you out of this dark cloud that hovers over your head and doesn't seem to want to let go..

I know perhaps some of what I have written above seems cheeky and out of place (and perhaps I am the last person to give advise) considering my own hermitage -- but I care for you and I want you to find peace and happiness insha'Allah and may Allah swt bless you with both in this life and the one to come ..

ameen

If you were my blood sister we would probably argue a lot, lol. I'm very stubborn in real life and don't like people meddling in my "internal affairs" :D but I appreciate your genuine concern because I know you are trying to help.. btw, it seems that RLS is not curable and the two options are medication and lifestyle changes. I'm still afraid that it won't go away despite 'lifestyle changes'.

Argamemnon
07-05-2010, 06:55 PM
I'm actually seeing a therapist for cognitive behavioral therapy but it's pretty useless. In my opinion, the idea that you have to "change your thoughts to feel good" is utter nonsense. The only thing I found very useful in the therapy is making plans and setting small goals and monitoring the outcome day by day. This is really useful, I highly recommend it.

جوري
07-05-2010, 07:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Argamemnon
I'm actually seeing a therapist for cognitive behavioral therapy but it's pretty useless. In my opinion, the idea that you just have to "change your thoughts to feel good" is utter nonsense. The only thing I found useful in the therapy is making plans and setting goals and monitoring the outcome day by day. This is really useful, I highly recommend it.
anything with a 'syndrome' in it isn't curable as a rule of thumb ... I know CBT seems silly but studies have proven time and again that the two treatment modalities that are the most effective are 'ECT' and CBT.. obviously you'll get out of anything only what you put into it, and I believe that if you commit fully to it without preconceived notions of silliness that you might make some major progress, but like anything else there is no insta cure..
making plans and setting goals sounds like an excellent start, maybe unlearning some behaviors can also be beneficial to you long term..

In my opinion if you were suffering anything debilitating you'd have perished long ago, and RLS doesn't happen overnight and in light of your other symptoms. If you can learn to relax and cope you'll find all these other problems dissipating.. and I know it is perhaps meddlesome on my part but think of it, what have I to gain if your life suddenly improves? Ok well you'll be a positive example of Muslims and a representative thereof every where but really what have I personally to gain?

I think you should enroll back in college, complete your course work and channel all your energies into achieving your goals and having a family that can be your own private oasis.. there is much to be proud of and much to be thankful for.. for starters the gift of Islam wal7mdlillah..

Salahudeen
07-05-2010, 07:28 PM
I agreee with what sis lilly said, try hypnosis and cognitive behavioral therapy. I've been using both at home and I see results. You can even download the audio and just listen to it with ear phones and let it work. I have one called "release guilt" and it works very well, it has sublimnal messages and all your hear is this noise.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!