/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Poor memory

glo
07-07-2010, 09:16 PM
I have read a few comments from other members recently, which seem to suggest that they think I am in the habit of posting questions about Islam, which I have already asked in the past.

As a consequence I have decided to post this thread.
It is about something which I try not to mention, or - if I do - I make light of: I have quite genuinely problems with my memory.

Not only do I have problems with names and faces, but sometimes my hubby talks to me about holidays or places we have been to together over the years, or about conversations we have had - and I have no recollection of those things at all! :hmm:

To be honest, it is not only something I am embarrassed about, but also something I am worried about.
I am only in my early forties. Should my memory be this poor? What will I be like in 20 years time??

At work I manage with the use of props - but if I haven't written something in my work diary or I haven't made myself a reminder of some kind, I am likely to simply forget!

Here in the forum I try to use the search function to check if I have posted something before - but if I cannot find it there or the thread has been lost, then there is a good chance that I don't remember.

Right, enough of the self pity!

My hubby thinks that the reason for my poor memory is probably just that fact that I have so many things on my mind (which is true), and that it might improve if I just did things bit by bit, rather than lots at the same time.

What do you think?
Do you have any other advice?

Should I get this checked out medically?
Are there ways of improving poor memory?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Salahudeen
07-07-2010, 09:27 PM
There are some foods mentioned in the sunnah I think that improve your memory, and scholars of the past who memorised thousands of hadiths also named a few I'll try find out for you.

kite runner
07-07-2010, 11:01 PM
We all forget. but if you are forgetting very important dates or dates that you have known since you were young such as birthdays etc. then i would get checked but i wouldnt worry too much, everyone forgets some more than others but if its not major events then i think your ok

glo
07-07-2010, 11:07 PM
Thank you, squiggle and kite runner.

Funnily enough, right now the ad above this thread is for brain training games! :D That can't be a coincidence!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
marwen
07-07-2010, 11:47 PM
^ lol. But no, glo, it's not a coincidence, these ads use the content of every page (key words, etc ...) and try to put an ad in the same context, just to fit with the people in this page ;°)

Concerning memory, It's normal to forget things by the time, else, we risk to be crazy due to millions of information and ideas living in our heads without going out. For example we have to forget bad experiences (deaths of people we love, accidents, bad events, etc..). I see forgetting things as a blessing/or mercy from God, though some consider it a weakness sometimes.

We can't stop forgetting things : we are humans. But we can make our memory a little bit better. I don't think there is a magical way/medecine to improve memory in one day. I think the only way to improve memory is exercise : The more we memorize new information, the more our memory become strong. It's like a muscle, it develops by activity, and when it rests, it becomes weaker. When we memorize a new information (a poem, a list of numbers, texts, etc.) our brain creates new neural cells and new connections, and that makes our brains bigger and stronger and more adapted to memorize many other things. Example : after memorizing one page of text, your memory will be better and you'll be able to memorize 2 or 3 pages.
The idea that your head is full of ideas so your memory is kind of saturated and there is no place for new informations etc. : This idea is wrong. Yes a lot of ideas in your head can be confusing : a lot of information in the same time. But that does not make your memory bad. It's totally the opposite : A lot of knowledge in your head = a better memory.

PouringRain
07-08-2010, 02:45 AM
*hugs* Glo. Sorry to hear about your problem. There are memory training techniques you can do to help you improve, but also it might be good for you to get checked by the doctor. Poor memory can be due to a lot of different things, some of them medical. Hypothyroidism, for example, can cause memory problems and you are not too young for things like that. (Not saying that you have it, just saying it is an example of something that can cause memory problems and also can occur in younger adults.) So, going to the doctor and getting checked out can't hurt anything. It could even ease some of your concerns.

Cabdullahi
07-10-2010, 10:01 PM
:cry:.......pay a visit to holland and barretts grab one of the workers and tell them to get you almonds......i hope you dont forget this :cry:.......

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9074531AA9SURm
Here's the scoop on brain foods. Like you, I've always heard that certain brain foods can help you think better and improve memory. But I was never quite sure which foods to eat.

Well, after doing lots of reading, I found some answers. It turns out there are several types of foods that can protect your brain, improve how well it works, and even build new brain cells.

First, let me clear up a common myth: yes, you can grow new brain cells as an adult! The myth that your brain stops growing is false. Lots of new research proves that your neurons (brain cells) can put out new branches and make new connections no matter what your age.

Of course, all cells need nutrients to grow. So including brain foods in your diet gives your brain the building blocks it needs. More neurons and connections in your brain equals a stronger memory and a mind that simply works better.

1. Healthy Fats - Build Your Brain

Much of a brain cell's structure is made up of what are called "healthy fats". The most important of these are the Omega-3 fatty acids. As your brain repairs itself and grows new neurons, it needs an abundant supply of Omega-3s from your diet.

The best sources of Omega-3 fats include cold-water fish such as salmon and albacore tuna. Flaxseed oil is also an good source. Other foods with Omega-3 are canola oil, soybeans, walnuts, wheatgerm, and eggs.

2. Antioxidants - Protect Your Brain

As we age, substances in our bloodstream known as "free radicals" attack and break down our brain cells. If you don't fight this, you are likely to experience age-related memory loss when you get older.
Fortunately, there are a lot of foods that contain a helpful substance called "antioxidants". These antioxidants merge with the free radicals in your blood and make them harmless. So it pays to eat lots of antioxidant foods every day.

Good sources of antioxidants include tea (especially green tea), blueberries and other berries, red grapes, tomatoes, broccoli, garlic, spinach, carrots, whole grains, and soy.

3. High-Tyrosine Proteins - Spark Your Brain

Besides neurons, your brain also includes important chemicals called "neurotransmitters". Neurotransmitters are the messengers that carry brain signals from one neuron to the next. You may have a great brain structure, but if your supply of the different neurotransmitters is insufficient your brain won't function properly.

Some components of neurotransmitters, such as tryptophan, can't be made within the body but must be consumed directly from your diet. Others such as tyrosine can be made by the body but still require the right foods in your diet.

The best neurotransmitter-building foods for boosting alertness, energy, and concentration include seafood, meat, eggs, soy and dairy products. To avoid sabotaging yourself, eat the low-fat, low salt varieties (for example, eat lean cuts of meat or low-fat cottage cheese).

4. Water - Hydrate Your Brain

As you probably know, most of your body is water. It is very easy to not consume enough water and become dehydrated. Being even slightly dehydrated decreases your mental energy and can impair your memory.

Drink at least three or four liters of water a day. I like to carry around a one-liter bottle and just fill it up whenever I pass a water fountain.

5. Vitamins & Minerals - Brain Building Blocks

Certain vitamins and minerals are also important building blocks for your brain. You definitely want to avoid any kind of vitamin deficiency. The best way to do so is to supplement with vitamin and mineral tablets.

The most important for brain function are Vitamins C, B12, and B6. So take a Vitamin C supplement daily and consider taking a B Complex vitamin along with it.

Some important minerals for brain building include Iron (for women, especially) and Calcium. Deficiencies of either of these have been shown to impair learning.

An easy way to get most of your most important vitamins and minerals is to simply take a multivitamin each day. Personally, I take a multivitamin, a fish oil capsule (for Omega-3 fatty acids), a 1,000 mg Vitamin C tablet, and a B Complex vitamin.

Make sure you always take your vitamins with food and not on an empty stomach. Not only will you avoid a stomach ache, but vitamins and minerals need to combine with food in your digestive system or they will be to a large degree wasted.

6. Fiber - Regulate Your Fuel Supply

Fiber is a surprising brain food, but an important one. Okay, fine, it's not really a "food". But fiber does help your brain function at its best. The reason is that fiber helps slow the absorption of sugar from your diet.

Your brain operates 100% on sugar. But the trick is that the sugar must be delivered in a very steady stream and in the proper amount or your brain gets overwhelmed. Eating enough fiber slows your digestion and results in the sugar in your food being delivered into your bloodstream gradually.

Foods containing healthy amounts of fiber include dried fruits (such as raisins, dates, prunes, and apricots), vegetables (such as green peas, broccoli, and spinach), peas and beans (such as black-eyed peas, lima beans, and kidney beans), nuts and seeds (such as flaxseed and almonds), whole fruit (such as apples with the skin, oranges, avocados, kiwi, and pears), and whole wheat grains (such as barley, brown rice, and the various whole wheat pastas and cereals).

Scorpian
07-11-2010, 02:35 AM
Hey Glo
I have a pretty bad memory aswell, i read the quran and i`ll forget the previous chapter or it`ll take awhile before something processes.But mine is just due to depression,sucidal thoughts and basically being rock bottom,stress isn`t good i also have OCD.I have also noticed that when i have alot on my mind, i feel like my head is a washinhg machine going around and around.My advice is to get cod liver oil and some vitamins,and just relax,take things as they come.

Best of Luck.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!