/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Whooping cough?

glo
07-15-2010, 02:23 AM
I week ago I got a heavy head cold - sore throat, achy neck, sniffles, generally feeling unwell.
Then I developed a dry cough.
Now, a week on, the cough seems to be getting worse. Although I am better on the whole (apart from the lack of sleep, also related to the night-time coughing - I am writing this at 3 AM), I have occasional attacks of coughing, which are quite severe.
The coughing leaves me doubled over, gasping for air. It is quite distressing and I feel panicky because of the sense of 'not getting enough air'. The coughing takes me to the point of retching and nearly being sick.

Last night my hubby asked me if I had ever had the whooping cough. I don't think I did as a child, not can I remember being immunised against it.

Has anybody had whooping cough?
Does this sound like it?
I dislike going to the GP with minor illnesses and common coughs and cold. Should I go in this instance?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
PouringRain
07-15-2010, 03:14 AM
Could it be brochitis? *shrug* Sorry, I am no expert. If I get a really bad cough like that, I take Mucinex DM, expectorant and cough suppressant. Even if I don't have any phlem or anything, and it is a dry cough, I take it. LOL

glo
07-15-2010, 09:10 AM
Expectorant and cough suppressant?
Don't they have opposite effects? The expectorant loosens the phlegm to help you cough and the suppressant keeps it down to help you sleep?
Do you take the expectorant during the day, and the suppressant at night?

I have managed to get some more sleep and I am feeling a bit better now.
But my chest (especially round my upper back and should blades) is aching. Perhaps it is muscular, from all the coughing.

Woodrow
07-15-2010, 09:28 AM
Whopping cough whild rare in adults does sometimes still happen. While it was a common child hood illness when I was a kid, immuniziation has reduced it's occurance, but it seems it has become much more serious when it does occur. Don't take any chances.

Get to your GP

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
07-15-2010, 09:31 AM
Thank you for the advice, Woodrow.
I will make an appointment tomorrow morning.

Since I am working with and having contact with vulnerable people at work, in the community and at church, I need to make sure that I am not putting them at risk as well.

Woodrow
07-15-2010, 10:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Thank you for the advice, Woodrow.
I will make an appointment tomorrow morning.

Since I am working with and having contact with vulnerable people at work, in the community and at church, I need to make sure that I am putting them at risk as well.
Good. It is highly contagious if it is whooping cough and very dangerous for the elderly and very young. Not very pleasant for those in ages in-between either. As reluctant as you are to see the GP, think of it as a public service act.

PouringRain
07-15-2010, 04:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Expectorant and cough suppressant?
Don't they have opposite effects? The expectorant loosens the phlegm to help you cough and the suppressant keeps it down to help you sleep?
Do you take the expectorant during the day, and the suppressant at night?
My mom says the same thing. :) I dunno how it works, but it just does. It is an all in one pill. I usually just take one at night even though it says you can take it twice a day.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!