/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Question about gambling, especially horse and camel racing

Kalthas
07-21-2010, 12:01 PM
I've lurked on this forum for a couple months, it's been useful on learning about a religion I knew relatively little about. I knew beforehand about Islamic prohibitions on pork, alcohol, and gender mixing, but it surprised me to find that all gambling is apparently considered similarly haram. As a gambler, this piqued my interest as I'm generally curious about the differing attitudes on the subject throughout the world.

I have never been to the middle east, but I was under the impression that horse and camel racing were both popular in certain countries in that region. I also know that several wealthy Arab Muslims have owned horses that they've raced in America, where it is intrinsically linked with gambling. Is it less so in the middle east? Is gambling on a race looked at differently than a card game?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muslim Woman
07-21-2010, 02:05 PM
Salaam/Peace

Question

Is it permissible for a Muslim to bet on Halal games like horse riding or camel racing?

Answer

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

Muslim jurists have agreed upon the lawfulness of giving and receiving prizes in horse or camel racing contests or in javelin throwing competition provided the prizes are given by a third party not a participant in the competition.

Giving prizes willingly from a participant in the competitors is also allowed but collecting the contribution from the participants to grant the prize to a winner is not allowed. This is the opinion of the majority of Muslim scholars.

The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) said: No contest is allowed except in swordplay or horse or camel racing

As for other competitions such as racing (elephants, mules or donkeys), swimming, wrestling, running, or weight lifting, Muslim scholars have different opinions. Some of them permitted them, while some others did not. They also disagree regarding the prizes that are granted in religious competitions such as in memorizing Qur'an, Hadith, or writing a thesis, etc.

The preponderant opinion is that the latter is allowed.

Imam Ibn al-Qayyim said: Allah and His Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) permitted competition in arrow-shooting and in horse and camel racing in order to encourage Muslims to learn horse-riding and get prepared for Jihad.

Based on this permission, competition and giving rewards for seeking knowledge is also permitted with a greater reason since it is the basic source to call people towards Islam and to remove the doubts that are raised against Islam.

Imam al-Mirdawi wrote in Insaf: Competition in wrestling and running is a form of worship if one intends to support Islam and taking a reward or compensation for that is also permissible.

Finally, one should know that the prize or the compensation should be from one who does not participate in the competition.

As for those who try to predict a winner of any race bet on it and may win or lose their money this is forbidden since it is nothing but gambling.

Allah Says (interpretation of meaning):

{O you who believe! Intoxicants (all kinds of alcoholic drinks), gambling, Al­Ansâb, and Al­Azlâm (arrows for seeking luck or decision) are an abomination of Shaitân's (Satan) handiwork. So avoid (strictly all) that (abomination) in order that you may be successful. Shaitân (Satan) wants only to excite enmity and hatred between you with intoxicants (alcoholic drinks) and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allâh and from As-Salât (the prayer). So, will you not then abstain?}[5:90-91].

Allah knows best.

http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/in...twaId&Id=87600</SPAN>

Woodrow
07-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Having lived in the Mideast periodically. I have seen a few camel and horse races. What I have seen can best be described as competition for the purpose of improving skills or animal lines. I have never seen any wagering take place during these races.

Now that I am a Horse Rancher/Breeder I have become more familiar with horse. My wife and myself recently expanded our line of horses to include Arabians. Part of this required us learning more about the breed. Very remarkable breed. The oldest known domesticated breed. As a result of centuries of competition the breed has developed into a remarkable creature with attributes not found in other breed. One thing I found is their extreme stamina and endurance. Only recently did I learn an Arabian can trot for over 100 continuous miles non-stop. This all came about because of centuries of racing and breeding the winners for the desired qualities. Their is a very good side to racing when the wagering is not present.

Kalthas
07-21-2010, 04:53 PM
Thanks to both of of you for the information. So racing animals is fine, wagering on the outcome is not. Prizes can be awarded to the winner, but not based on money from gambling. I admit that I basically assumed that since the sport is basically based on gambling in western countries that wagering on these events also occurred in Muslim areas.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!