PDA

View Full Version : Common Mistakes Made During Ramadan



subz-zero
07-23-2010, 09:21 AM
Salaam

Got this in an email recently, mite be beneficial to others

Common Mistakes Made During Ramadan

Most Muslims who fast Ramadan focus on the benefits and rewards of it. But in doing so, we often make mistakes that instead of adding to our experience actually detract from it. Mistakes that can make us commercialize Ramadan as so many other religions have commercialized their sacred days. Insha Allah the following serves as a reminder to myself first and to all Muslims. May Allah help us to spend our time wisely this Ramadan and help us to avoid these mistakes. Aameen!

1. Taking Ramadaan as a ritual

For many of us Ramadaan has lost its spirituality and has become more of a ritual than a form of Ibaadah. We fast from morning to night like a zombie just because everyone around us is fasting too. We forget that its a time to purify our hearts and our souls from all evil….we forget to make dua, forget to beseech Allaah to forgive us and ask Him to save us from the Fire. Sure we stay away from food and drink but that's about all.

Although the Prophet (Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa Sallam) said:
'Jibreel said to me, 'May Allaah rub his nose in the dust, that person to who Ramadaan comes and his sins are not forgiven,' and I said, 'Aameen'. Then he said, 'May Allaah rub his nose in the dust, that person who lives to see his parents grow old, one or both of them, but he does not enter Paradise (by not serving them) and I said, 'Aameen'. Then he said, 'May Allaah rub his nose in the dust, that person in whose presence you are mentioned and he does not send blessings upon you,' and I said, 'Aameen.'' (Tirmidhi, Ahmad, others. Saheeh by al-Albaani)

2. Too much stress on food and drink

For some people, the entire month of Ramadaan revolves around food. They spend the ENTIRE day planning, cooking, shopping and thinking about only food, instead of concentrating on Salaah, Quraan and other acts of worship. All they can think of is FOOD. So much so that they turn the month of 'fasting' into the month of 'feasting'. Come Iftaar time, their table is a sight to see, with the multitudes and varieties of food, sweets and drinks.. They are missing the very purpose of fasting, and thus, increase in their greed and desires instead of learning to control them. It is also a kind of waste & extravagance.

'…..and eat and drink but waste not by extravagance, certainly He (Allaah) likes not Al-Musrifoon (those who waste by extravagance) ' [al-Araaf :31]

3. Spending all day cooking

Some of the sisters (either by their own choice or forced by their husbands) are cooking ALL day and ALL night, so that by the end of the day, they are too tired to even pray Ishaa, let alone pray Taraweeh or Tahajjud or even read Quraan. This is the month of mercy and forgiveness. So turn off that stove and turn on your Imaan!

4. Eating too much

Some people stuff themselves at Suhoor until they are ready to burst, because they think this is the way to not feel hungry during the day and some people eat at Iftaar, like there is no tomorrow, trying to 'make up for the food missed.' However, this is completely against the Sunnah. Moderation is the key to everything.

The Prophet (Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa Sallam) said: 'The son of Adam does not fill any vessel worse than his stomach; for the son of Adam a few mouthfuls are sufficient to keep his back straight. If you must fill it, then one-third for food, one-third for drink and one-third for air..' (Tirmidhi, Ibn Maajah. saheeh by al-Albaani).

Too much food distracts a person from many deeds of obedience and worship, makes him lazy and also makes the heart heedless.

It was said to Imam Ahmad: Does a man find any softness and humility in his heart when he is full? He said, I do not think so.

5. Sleeping all day

Some people spend their entire day (or a major part of it) 'sleeping away their fast'. Is this what is really required of us during this noble month? These people also are missing the purpose of fasting and are slaves to their desires of comfort and ease. They cannot 'bear' to be awake and face a little hunger or exert a little self-control. For a fasting person to spend most of the day asleep is nothing but, negligence on his part.

6. Wasting time

The month of Ramadaan is a precious, precious time, so much so that Allaah calls this month 'Ayyamum Ma'doodaat' (A fixed number of days). Before we know it, this month of mercy and forgiveness will be over. We should try and spend every moment possible in the worship of Allaah so that we can make the most of this blessing. However, there are some of us who waste away their day playing video games, or worse still, watching TV, movies or even listening to music. Subha an Allaah! Trying to obey Allaah by DISOBEYING him!

7. Fasting but not giving up evil

Some of us fast but do not give up lying, cursing, fighting, backbiting, etc. and some of us fast but do not give up cheating, stealing, dealing in haraam, buying lotto tickets, selling alcohol, fornication, etc. and all kinds of impermissible things without realizing that the purpose of fasting is to not stay away from food and drink; rather the aim behind it is to fear Allaah.

'O you who believe! Fasting is prescribed for you as it was prescribed for those before you, that you may become Al-Muttaqoon (the pious)' [al-Baqarah 2:183]

The Prophet (Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa Sallam) said: 'Whoever does not give up false speech and acting upon it, and ignorance, Allaah has no need of him giving up his food and drink.' (Bukhaari)

8. Skipping Suhoor (sehri)

The Prophet (Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa Sallam) said: 'Eat suhoor for in suhoor there is blessing.'(Bukhaari, Muslim).
And he (Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa Sallam) said: 'The thing that differentiates between our fasting and the fasting of the People of the Book is eating suhoor.' (Muslim)

9. Stopping Suhoor at 'Imsaak'

Some people stop eating Suhoor 10-15 minutes earlier than the time of Fajr to observe 'Imsaak'.
Shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymeen said: This is a kind of bid’ah (innovation) which has no basis in the Sunnah. Rather the Sunnah is to do the opposite. Allaah allows us to eat until dawn: 'and eat and drink until the white thread (light) of dawn appears to you distinct from the black thread (darkness of night)' [al-Baqarah 2:187]

And the Prophet (pbuh) said: '….eat and drink until you hear the adhaan of Ibn Umm Maktoom, for he does not give the adhaan until dawn comes.'

This 'imsaak' which some of the people do is an addition to what Allaah has prescribed, so it is false. It is a kind of extremism in religion, and the Prophet (Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa Sallam) said:
'Those who go to extremes are doomed, those who go to extremes are doomed, those who go to extremes are doomed.' (Muslim)

10. Not fasting if they missed Suhoor

Some people are too scared to fast if they miss Suhoor. However, this is a kind of cowardice and love of ease. What is the big deal if you missed a few morsels of food? It's not like you will die. Remember, obedience to Allaah overcomes everything.

Saying the intention to fast 'out loud' or saying a specific dua to start fasting:

The intention is an action of the heart. We should resolve in our heart that we are going to fast tomorrow. That is all we need. It is not prescribed by the Shari'ah for us to say out loud, 'I intend to fast', 'I will fast tomorrow' or other phrases that have been innovated by some people. Also, there is no specific dua to be recited at the time of starting the fast in the correct Sunnah. Whatever 'dua' you may see on some papers or Ramadaan calendars, etc. is a Bid'ah.

11. Delaying opening fast

Some people wait until the adhaan finishes or even several minutes after that, just to be 'on the safe side'. However, the Sunnah is to hasten to open the fast, which means opening the fast the moment the sun sets. Aa'ishah (RA) said: This is what the Messenger of Allaah (Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa Sallam) used to do. (Muslim)

The Prophet (Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa Sallam) said: 'The people will continue to do well so long as they hasten to open the fast.' (Bukhaari, Muslim)

Inspite of the above Hadith being so clear, the Azaan in many of the mosques is given 5 minutes after sunset. You can check the newspaper everyday and see the exact time of sunset that is mentioned there. You can also check it on the net and then check for yourself when the Azaan is given).

Determine to the best of your ability, the accuracy of your clock, calendar, etc. and then have tawakkul (trust) on Allaah swt and break your fast exactly on time.

12. Eating continuously until the time for Maghrib is up

Some people put so much food in their plates when breaking their fast and continue eating, enjoying dessert, drinking tea, etc., until they miss Maghrib. That is obviously not right. The Sunnah of the Prophet (Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa Sallam) was that once he broke his fast with some dates, he would hasten to the prayer. Once you are done with the prayer, you can always go back and eat some more if you wish.

13. Missing the golden chance of having your Dua accepted

The prayer of the fasting person is guaranteed to be accepted at the time of breaking fast.
The Prophet (Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa Sallam) said: 'Three prayers are not rejected: the prayer of a father, the prayer of a fasting person, and the prayer of a traveler.' (al-Bayhaqi, saheeh by al-Albaani).

Instead of sitting down and making Dua at this precious time, some people forego this beautiful chance, and are too busy frying samosas, talking, setting the food, filling their plates and glasses, etc. Think about it….Is food more important than the chance to have your sins forgiven or the fulfillment of your Duas.

14. Fasting but not praying

The fasting of one who does not pray WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. This is because not praying constitutes kufr as the Prophet (Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa Sallam) said: 'Between a man and shirk and kufr there stands his giving up prayer.' (Muslim)

In fact, NONE of his good deeds will be accepted; rather, they are all annulled.
'Whoever does not pray 'Asr, his good deeds will be annulled.' (Bukhaari)

15. Fasting and not wearing Hijaab

Not wearing the Hijaab is a major sin as it is obligatory for Muslim women. (See Surah Nur, Surah Ahzaab). So fasting and not wearing hijaab certainly takes away enormously from the rewards of fasting, even if does not invalidate it.

16. Not fasting because of exams or work

Exams or work is NOT one of the excuses allowed by the Shariah to not fast. You can do your studying and revision at night if it is too hard to do that during the day. Also remember that pleasing and obeying Allaah is much more important than 'good grades'. Besides, if you will fulfill your obligation to fast, even if you have to study, Allaah will make it easy for you and help you in everything you do.
'Whosoever fears Allah, He will appoint for him a way out and provide for him from where he does not expect, Allaah is Sufficient for whosoever puts his trust in Him.' (Surah at-Talaaq 2-3)

17. Mixing fasting and dieting

DO NOT make the mistake of fasting with the intention to diet. That is one of the biggest mistakes some of us make (esp. sisters). Fasting is an act of worship and can only be for the sake of Allaah alone. Otherwise, mixing it with the intention of dieting may become a form of (minor) Shirk.

18. Praying ONLY on the night of the 27th

Some people pray ONLY on the 27th to seek Lailat ul-Qadr, neglecting all other odd nights, although the Prophet (Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa Sallam) said: 'Seek Lailat ul-Qadr among the odd numbered nights of the last ten nights of Ramadaan.' (Bukhaari, Muslim).

19. Wasting the last part of Ramadaan preparing for Eid

Some people waste the entire last 10 days of Ramadaan preparing for Eid, shopping and frequenting malls, etc. neglecting Ibadah and Lailatul Qadr. although, the Prophet (Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa Sallam) used to strive the hardest during the last ten days of Ramadaan in worship (Ahmad, Muslim) and not in shopping. Buy whatever you need for Eid, buy before Ramadaan so that you can utilize the time in Ramadaan to the max..
Aa'ishah (RA) said: 'When the (last) ten nights began, the Messenger of Allaah (Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa Sallam)) would tighten his waist-wrapper (i.e., strive hard in worship or refrain from intimacy with his wives), stay awake at night and wake his family.' (Bukhaari and Muslim)..

20. Iftaar parties

Although inviting each other for breaking fast is something good and encouraged, some people go to extremes with lavish 'Iftaar parties' with all sorts of disobedience to Allaah, from flirting, mixing of the sexes and hijaab-less women, to show-off and extravagance, to heedlessness to Salaah and Taraweeh. Some even resort to music and dancing.

It's not too late to rectify ones mistake and do good for the sake of Allaah.

[15:49] Inform My servants that I am the Forgiver, Most Merciful.
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
marwen
07-23-2010, 01:05 PM
^ good reminder ! baraka Allahu fik.
Reply

Misz_Muslimah
07-23-2010, 01:43 PM
Subhanallah..Jazaakalahu khayr for sharing and inshallah we will all make the most out of Ramadhan this year
Reply

ardianto
07-23-2010, 02:43 PM
Thanks for sharing. Jazak Allah Khayr.
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
Ramadhan
07-23-2010, 05:21 PM
This is very important and timely reminder to avoid the things in the list.
Jazakallah Khair
Reply

bewildred
07-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Please, can you elaborate how mixing fasting and dieting can constitute an act of shirk?

Do you have any Hadith that show that not wearing hijab invalidates fasting? Ummmmmm, moderators....

S.
Reply

bewildred
07-24-2010, 10:23 AM
Please, can you elaborate how mixing fasting and dieting can constitute an act of shirk?

Do you have any Hadith that shows that not wearing hijab invalidates fasting? Ummmmmm, moderators....

S.
Reply

Asiyah3
07-24-2010, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by bewildred
Please, can you elaborate how mixing fasting and dieting can constitute an act of shirk?

Do you have any Hadith that shows that not wearing hijab invalidates fasting? Ummmmmm, moderators....

S.
:sl:

Sister, I believe you misread what the brother wrote. He said: So fasting and not wearing hijaab certainly takes away enormously from the rewards of fasting, even if does not invalidate it.

Not wearing a hijab is disobeying Allah.

I've never heard that fasting with the intention of dieting can constitute a form of minor shirk. However, I don't know if the fast would be accepted by Allah. :/

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Actions are but by intentions and each person will have but that which he intended.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari (1) and Muslim (1907).

It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘Allaah says: “Every deed of the son of Adam is for him, except for fasting; it is for Me and I shall reward for it.” Fasting is a shield and when one of you is fasting he avoid sexual relations with his wife and quarreling. If somebody should fight or quarrel with him, he should say, ‘I am fasting.’ By the One in Whose hand is my soul, the unpleasant smell coming out from the mouth of a fasting person is better in the sight of Allaah than the smell of musk. The fasting person will have two moments of joy: one when he breaks his fast, and the other when he meets his Lord; then he will be pleased because of his fasting.’”

(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1771)

:w:
Reply

bewildred
07-24-2010, 01:04 PM
I thank you sister for your explanation and your caring.

Yes, not wearing Hijab is disobeying Allah. What tells you that not wearing hijab takes away enormously from the rewards of fasting? Any Hadith? Any Ayah?

Please, don't get me wrong sister. I've been wearing hijab for so long, when it was such an oddity to wear it. I still believe that one shouldn't mix things and do "Ijtihad" when one is just a humble Muslim.

S.
Reply

Salahudeen
07-24-2010, 05:06 PM
I think what the brother meant when he said mixing fasting and dieting might become minor shirk is that some people will forget that their intention for fasting is the pleasure and worship of Allah and they will instead start to fast for the purpose of dieting and losing weight rather than the pleasure of Allah.

They will think make the goal of fasting to be dieting/losing weight and this will be their intention when they fast. not the pleasure of Allah.
Reply

Asiyah3
07-25-2010, 12:24 AM
Originally Posted by bewildred
IYes, not wearing Hijab is disobeying Allah. What tells you that not wearing hijab takes away enormously from the rewards of fasting? Any Hadith? Any Ayah?

S.
No, I haven't heard of a hadith or Ayah that says doing sins takes away from the rewards of fasting.
Reply

Innocent Soul
07-25-2010, 01:17 AM
Jazakallah ! Great reminder :)

19. Wasting the last part of Ramadaan preparing for Eid

Some people waste the entire last 10 days of Ramadaan preparing for Eid, shopping and frequenting malls, etc. neglecting Ibadah and Lailatul Qadr. although, the Prophet (Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa Sallam) used to strive the hardest during the last ten days of Ramadaan in worship (Ahmad, Muslim) and not in shopping. Buy whatever you need for Eid, buy before Ramadaan so that you can utilize the time in Ramadaan to the max..
Aa'ishah (RA) said: 'When the (last) ten nights began, the Messenger of Allaah (Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa Sallam)) would tighten his waist-wrapper (i.e., strive hard in worship or refrain from intimacy with his wives), stay awake at night and wake his family.' (Bukhaari and Muslim)..
I really hate it the last night of Ramadan I mean when the moon is seen that night all the muslims go for shopping and come home almost on 2:00 am. Can't we just do shopping before Ramadan, can't we go in a convenient timings so that we can offer our prayers. Is really praying fasting and keeping away yourself from sins is only important on Fridays or in the month of Ramadan. I'll try my best to make this Ramadhan the best.I don't think if anyone loves and fear Allah he would leave this prayer anytime because it is a benefit to him only. :hmm:
May Allah keep us away sining in the month of Ramadan as well as other months too.

Ameen
Reply

bewildred
07-25-2010, 08:07 AM
Yes, wearing pants that hang down the ankles (for men) takes away from the rewards of fasting, if you ever happen to listen to music, your rewards of fasting are taken away from you...... C'mon, the things that invalidate fasting are known, very well-known, in Quran, sunnah, hadiths, fatwas.

Oh yeah, being sarcastic also takes away from the rewards of fasting. How am I so sure? Because I say it!!! (joking)
Reply

Salahudeen
07-25-2010, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by bewildred
Yes, wearing pants that hang down the ankles (for men) takes away from the rewards of fasting, if you ever happen to listen to music, your rewards of fasting are taken away from you...... C'mon, the things that invalidate fasting are known, very well-known, in Quran, sunnah, hadiths, fatwas.

Oh yeah, being sarcastic also takes away from the rewards of fasting. How am I so sure? Because I say it!!! (joking)
What is your point that doing sins doesn't take away from the reward of fasting?
Reply

cat eyes
07-25-2010, 10:52 AM
you see this is why we are told to produce ayah and hadith for the above mentioned... this will save a lot of arguing.

have you got any sub zero or maybe even a fatwa?
Reply

Salahudeen
07-25-2010, 10:55 AM
Well if the brother is saying doing sins takes away from the reward of fasting then he is correct.



How can I maintain my fast in the face of these sins?.

Praise be to Allaah.

You have done very well to ask this question; it indicates that you are keen to make sure that your acts of worship do not go to waste or be reduced because of these widespread sins.

We should all remember that the real meaning of fasting is not only giving up food and drink, rather Allaah, may He be exalted, has enjoined fasting in order that we may attain piety (taqwa). Hence real fasting means refraining from sin by refraining from it and giving it up; this is the fasting of the heart, not just the fasting of the body. The Sunnah points to what we have said, and it has been discussed and explained by the scholars.

It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever does not give up false speech and acting upon it, Allaah has no need of his giving up his food and drink.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari (1804). And it was narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “It may be that all a fasting person gets from his fast is hunger and thirst, and it may be that all a person who prays at night gets from his prayer is sleeplessness.” Narrated by Ahmad (8693); classed as saheeh by Ibn Hibbaan (8/257) and by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Targheeb (1/262).

The Sahaabah and the early generations of this ummah were keen for their fasting to be a purification for their souls as well as their bodies, free from disobedience and sin.

‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: Fasting does not mean abstaining from food and drink only, rather it is also abstaining from lying, falsehood and idle speech.

Jaabir ibn ‘Abd-Allaah al-Ansaari said: When you fast, then let your hearing, sight and tongue fast from lying and sin and stop abusing servants. Be tranquil and dignified on the day of your fast, and do not let the day you do not fast and the day you fast be the same.

It was narrated that Hafsah bint al-Sireen – who was a scholar of the Taabi’een – said: Fasting is a shield, so long as one does not make holes in it it, and making holes in it means gheebah (backbiting).

It was narrated from Maymoon ibn Mahraam that the least of fasting is giving up food and drink.

These reports were quoted by Ibn Hazm in al-Muhalla (4/308).

So it is no wonder if we learn that some scholars regarded the fast as invalid if a person falls into sin during his fast, even though the correct view is that this does not invalidate the fast, but undoubtedly it detracts from it and goes against the real meaning of fasting.

Al-Haafiz Ibn Hajar (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

Backbiting damages the fast. It was narrated from ‘Aa’ishah, and al-Awzaa’i also said this, that backbiting breaks the fast of the fasting person and he has to make up that day. Ibn Hazm went further and said: It is invalidated by every sin that a person commits deliberately, when he is aware that he is fasting, whether it is an action or a word, because of the general meaning of the words “he should not utter obscene speech or behave in an ignorant manner” and because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever does not give up false speech and acting upon it, Allaah has no need of his giving up his food and drink.” End quote.

Fath al-Baari (4/104).

Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

As for the thing from one which must abstain when fasting, perhaps you will be surprised if I tell you that the thing from one which must abstain when fasting is sin. A person must abstain from sin when fasting because this is the primary aim of fasting, because Allaah, may He be blessed and exalted, says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Observing As-Sawm (the fasting) is prescribed for you as it was prescribed for those before you, that you may become Al-Muttaqoon (the pious)”

[al-Baqarah 2:183].

It is not so that you may become hungry, or so that you may become thirsty, or so that you may refrain from relations with your wife! No; He says “that you may become Al-Muttaqoon (the pious).” This is the primary aim of fasting. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) affirmed that when he said: “Whoever does not give up false speech and acting upon it and ignorant behaviour, Allaah has no need of his giving up his food and drink.” So if a person refrains from disobeying Allaah, this is true fasting. As for outward fasting, this is abstaining from things that invalidate the fast and refraining from things that break the fast from dawn until sunset as an act of worship towards Allaah, because of the verse in which Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“So now have sexual relations with them and seek that which Allaah has ordained for you (offspring), and eat and drink until the white thread (light) of dawn appears to you distinct from the black thread (darkness of night), then complete your Sawm (fast) till the nightfall”

[al-Baqarah 2:187].

We call this kind of fasting outward fasting, which is the fasting of the body only. As for the fasting of the heart, which is the primary aim of fasting, this means refraining from disobedience towards Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted.

Based on this, if a person observes the fast outwardly, in the physical sense, but he does not fast in his heart, then his fast is severely deficient, but we do not say that it is invalid, rather we say that it is lacking. Similarly, we say concerning prayer that the aim of prayer is humility before Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, and prayer of the heart comes before prayer of the limbs, but if a person prays physically but not with his heart, not focusing at all, then his prayer is very deficient, but it is still valid as it appears to be, but is very deficient. Similarly the fast is very deficient if a person does not refrain from disobeying Allaah, but it is valid, because acts of worship in this world are to be judged as they appear to be. End quote.

Liqaa’aat al-Baab il-Maftoohah (116, p. 1).

Secondly:

The scholars divided patience into three categories: patience in obeying Allaah, patience in refraining from disobeying Him, and patience in accepting the Divine decree. Fasting combines all these kinds of patience.

Ibn Rajab al-Hanbali (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

The best kind of patience is fasting, for it combines all three types of patience. It is patience in obeying Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, and it is patience in refraining from disobeying Him, because a person gives up his desires for the sake of Allaah even though his self may be longing for them. Hence it says in the saheeh hadeeth that Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, says: “All the deeds of the son of Adam are for him, except fasting. It is for Me and I shall reward for it, because he gives up his desire and his food and drink for My sake.” Fasting also involves patience in accepting the consequences which may result in hunger and thirst for the fasting person. End quote.

Jaami’ al-‘Uloom wa’l-Hikam (p. 219).

Whoever manages to fast as Allaah has prescribed will attain a great reward from his Lord, may He be blessed and exalted. It is sufficient for him to know that Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Only those who are patient shall receive their reward in full, without reckoning”

[al-Zumar 39:10]

Thirdly:

In order for the Muslim to protect his fasting from being deficient due to committing sins, he must achieve patience in refraining from sin. One of the scholars said that patience in refraining from sin is greater than the other two types of patience.

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

Here there is an issue which people debated about: which type of patience is better – patience in refraining from sin or patience in obeying Allaah? One group of people suggested that the former is better, and they said that patience in refraining from sin is the attitude of the siddeeqeen, as some of the salaf said: Good deeds are done by righteous and immoral alike, but no one has the power to refrain from sin except a Siddeeq, and because the motive to commit sin is greater than the motive to stop being obedient, because the motive to commit sin is pleasure, but the motive to stop being obedient is laziness and sloth, and undoubtedly the motive to commit sin is stronger. They said: Sin may be promoted by one's own self, whims and desires, the shaytaan, worldly reasons, a man’s companions, a desire to imitate, and natural inclinations. Any one of these factors may cause a person to commit sin, so how about if they are combined and prevail over the heart? What patience can be stronger than patience in refusing to respond to them? If Allaah did not give him patience, he would not be patient by himself.

This argument, as you can see, is very strong and very clear. End quote.

Tareeq al-Hijratayn (p. 414).

Patience in refraining from sin stems from a number of things which we hope you will ponder, for that contains a description of the disease and a prescription of the remedy.

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

The principle of patience in refraining from sin is based on a number of things:

1 – Knowledge of how reprehensible and vile it is, and that Allaah has only forbidden it as a protection against its evil, just as a caring father will protect his child from things that will harm him. This reason will make the wise person refrain from it, even if he does not pay attention to the warning of punishment.

2 – Feeling shy before Allaah, may He be glorified. If a person realizes that Allaah is watching him and can see him and hear him, he will feel too shy before his Lord to expose himself to His wrath.

3 – Remembering the blessings He has given you and His kindness towards you. Sins inevitably take away blessings. No person commits a sin but one of the blessings of Allaah is taken away because of that sin. If he repents, then it is restored, but if he persists in it, it is not given back to him, and the sins continue to take away blessings until the blessings disappear altogether. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily, Allaah will not change the (good) condition of a people as long as they do not change their state (of goodness) themselves (by committing sins and by being ungrateful and disobedient to Allaah)” [???]

[al-Ra’d 13:11]

The greatest of blessings is faith, but the sins of zina, stealing, drinking alcohol and robbery take them away and cause them to disappear. One of the salaf said: I committed a sin and I was deprived of praying qiyaam for a year. Another said: I committed a sin and I was deprived of understanding of the Qur’aan. Concerning such things it was said:

If you have been blessed then take care of it, for sin takes away blessings.

To sum up: Sin is a fire that consumes blessings, just as fire consumes wood, Allaah forbid that His blessings be lost.

4 – Fear of Allaah and of His punishment. This may be established by believing in His promises and warnings, and by believing in Him, His Books and His Messengers. This is strengthened by means of knowledge and certain faith, and it is weakened if those two things are weakened, Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“It is only those who have knowledge among His slaves that fear Allaah”

[Faatir 35:28]

One of the salaf said: Fear of Allaah is a sign of knowledge and taking Allaah’s forgiveness for granted is a sign of ignorance.

5 – Love of Allaah. This is the strongest factor in being patient in refraining from disobeying Him. The one who loves will be obedient to the one whom he loves. The stronger that love grows in his heart, the more his willingness to obey Him and his unwillingness to disobey Him will grow. Sin and disobedience stem from weakness of love. There is a difference between one who is motivated to avoid disobeying his master because of his fear of his whip and punishment, and one who is motivated to avoid that because of his love for his master.

6 – Nobility and purity of heart. If a person has self-respect and is keen to attain virtue, he will refrain from anything that may lead to doom and dishonour.

7 – Certain knowledge of the consequences of disobedience and the harm that may result from it, such as blackening of the face, darkness in the heart, distress, grief, pain, depression, anxiety, lack of focus, weakness in the face of one’s enemy, confusion, sense of abandonment, being overpowered by one’s enemy, failing to benefit from knowledge, forgetting what one has already learned, and sickness that will surely lead to death if it takes hold, because sins deaden the heart.

To sum up: the awful effects of sin are too many for a person to grasp, and the good effects of obedience are too many for a person to grasp. The best of this world and the Hereafter may be attained by obeying Allaah, and the worst of this world and the Hereafter comes from disobeying Him. Concerning some of these effects Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “Who could ever obey Me and be doomed because of it and who could ever disobey Me and attain blessings because of it?”

8 – Lack of worldly hope and certainty that he will soon depart this world, and the realization that he is like a traveller who enters a town determined to leave it, or like a rider who rests in the shade of a tree then moves on and leaves it. Because he knows how short his stay will be and how quickly he will move on, he is keen to leave behind anything that may weigh him down or cause him harm and bring no benefit. He is keen to move on with the best that he has. A person has nothing better than a lack of worldly ambition and nothing more harmful than procrastinating and focusing on worldly ambitions.

9 – Avoiding excess in his food, drink, clothing, sleeping, and meeting people, because the temptation to commit sin grows stronger if there is any excess in these areas, because that requires an outlet and what is permissible becomes no longer enough and one begins to transgress into haraam areas. One of the most harmful things for a person is idleness and free time, because the soul is never idle; if it is not kept busy with beneficial things it will inevitably occupy itself with harmful things.

10 – This sums up all the previous things: it is faith that is firmly-rooted in the heart. Patience in refraining from sin depends on strength of faith. The stronger a person’s faith is, the more patient he will be, but if his faith is weak his patience will be weak too. If a person’s heart is filled with the belief that Allaah is watching him and can see him, and has forbidden what He has forbidden to him and will be angry with the one who does it and punish him, and if his heart is filled with the belief in the reward and punishment, Paradise and Hell, then he will not fail to act upon this knowledge. Whoever thinks that he can give up sin without firm and deeply-rooted faith is mistaken. If the lamp of faith is strong in the heart it will illuminate all of its corners and shine its light into its depths; that light will then spread throughout his body and he will respond quickly to the promptings of faith, and will obey humbly and willingly, with no resentment. Rather he will rejoice in this call when it comes, just as a man rejoices in the call of his beloved who calls him to show him kindness and honour him, so he is waiting for his call all the time. Allaah bestows His mercy upon whomsoever He will ... End quote.

Tareeq al-Hijratayn (p. 408-414).

What is required of the Muslim is to understand what Allaah really wants from his fasting, and to understand what pushes him to commit sin, so that he may keep away from it and shun it and hate it. What we have quoted from Ibn al-Qayyim explains this in the best way.

See also the answer to question no. 12468.

And Allaah knows best.
Reply

cat eyes
07-25-2010, 11:00 AM
jazakAllah khayr
Reply

Salahudeen
07-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by cat eyes
jazakAllah khayr
wa iyakum :)
Reply

'Abd Al-Maajid
07-26-2010, 04:01 AM
These are good reminders, aren't they, people? Thank you for sharing, OP.
Reply

Rabi'ya
07-26-2010, 01:10 PM
JazakAllah kheir for sharing. a lovely article.
Reply

cdahmedeh
07-26-2010, 01:25 PM
Very good article mashallah. Great reminders !
Reply

MysticRiver
07-26-2010, 06:09 PM
Urmmmmm, does it mean that all the years when, out of ignorance, I wasn't wearing hijab, all the rewards of the previous Ramadans are gone with the wind? I'm feeling all of a sudden very depressed.:hmm:
Reply

Salahudeen
07-26-2010, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by MysticRiver
Urmmmmm, does it mean that all the years when, out of ignorance, I wasn't wearing hijab, all the rewards of the previous Ramadans are gone with the wind? I'm feeling all of a sudden very depressed.:hmm:
Well if it was done out of ignorance I don't see why you would lose the reward. But say for example your fasting and you're swearing and using loads of foul language and you know you shouldn't be doing this then that's a different story all together.
Reply

Haya emaan
07-26-2010, 08:03 PM
5. Sleeping all day

Some people spend their entire day (or a major part of it) 'sleeping away their fast'. Is this what is really required of us during this noble month? These people also are missing the purpose of fasting and are slaves to their desires of comfort and ease. They cannot 'bear' to be awake and face a little hunger or exert a little self-control. For a fasting person to spend most of the day asleep is nothing but, negligence on his part.

ah.. this point scares me alot every time.... after sehri i manage not to sleep again and spend my time with Quran.. but then i had to attend my college giving so many hours of mine even in Ramadan.. and become so tired on my return home that i cant give up sleeping until asr... i tried not to sleep but that made my fast even much worse... Ramadan is near and m thinking what to do for this...
Reply

ayesha.ansari
08-04-2010, 09:54 AM
Yes we all do these mistakes because we have forgotten ALLAH and his path. Muslims move towards western culture and forget the benefits and importance of the month of Ramadan. This shouldn't be carry on. Muslims have to realize that they are at wrong path and insulting Month of Ramadan with their mistakes.
Reply

Vigno
08-07-2010, 09:54 AM
Asalamu Alekum

Sister mun-o-salwaits ok to sleep in Ramadan, just sleeping all day is the real act of negligence. You said you are going to college and spending many hours there, so indeed you have tasted the flavor of hunger and thirst. Just stay away from haram and pray at night and continue with reading Quran as much as you can. May Allah accept all muslim's fast and qiyam ameen.

On the other hand, what sister ayesha ansari is quite true, muslims have lost their way and its so sad to see muslims wasting so much precious time and taking Ramadan as a pain soon to depart, while neglecting the beauty of this wonderful month. Ramadan is indeed paradise on earth, and such a great gift from Allah subhanahu wa taalah, alhamdulilah so much...
May Allah guide all muslims to the real meaning of life, ameen

Jazakam Allah khir

Asalamu Alekum
Reply

cat eyes
08-07-2010, 10:23 AM
i sleep quite alot so im worried when im fasting i will sleep even more. inshallah that wont be the case this year. i don't want to sleep all of ramadhan away
Reply

Vigno
08-08-2010, 04:03 PM
Asalamu Alekum

You know what the problem is, I have got a nervous system problem since one week, none stop headache and unlimited sleeping attacks, alhamdulilah for all...I pray I get cured soon before Ramadan and no one gets the same problem, ameen.
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
HeartHijab.com | Hijab Sale | Pound Shop | UK Wholesale Certified Face Masks, Hand Sanitiser & PPE

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!