/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Drew Westen // Psychology?

Beardo
08-06-2010, 07:57 PM
I'm reading an interesting book on Psychology by Drew Westen. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about him, any precautions I should have while reading, etc etc. Advice?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Dagless
08-06-2010, 08:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
any precautions I should have while reading, etc etc. Advice?
Don't eat jalebi's while reading. I tried that once. Disaster. You can never get the pages clean.

Please also give us a review of the book so far.

Woodrow
08-06-2010, 09:11 PM
:sl:

He has a background in Clinical, personality and physiological psych. But it sound more like he is going off into behaviorism and Social (So-So) psychology. I think he may be using the concept of popular psychology to sell his books. That does not invalidate them, but just remember he is only a man stating his own opinion. I sort of cringe over those who attach psychology to their ideas. Psychology is basically a science of identification and measurements. His being a Psychologist is not nor should be the criteria to make a person a political analyst. Read and learn from his books but remember he is not infallable and you have the right to disagree with him. Don't let his title intimidate you into not reading without doubts when you disagree.

Beardo
08-06-2010, 10:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless
Don't eat jalebi's while reading. I tried that once. Disaster. You can never get the pages clean.

Please also give us a review of the book so far.
That's some excellent advice. Gotta note that down! Jazax bro. May Allah Ta'ala reward you. And will do iA! :D

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow

He has a background in Clinical, personality and physiological psych. But it sound more like he is going off into behaviorism and Social (So-So) psychology. I think he may be using the concept of popular psychology to sell his books. That does not invalidate them, but just remember he is only a man stating his own opinion. I sort of cringe over those who attach psychology to their ideas. Psychology is basically a science of identification and measurements. His being a Psychologist is not nor should be the criteria to make a person a political analyst. Read and learn from his books but remember he is not infallable and you have the right to disagree with him. Don't let his title intimidate you into not reading without doubts when you disagree.
So you've read him? I read so far the chapter on relationships and altruism. I liked and agreed with both. He gave a neutral opinion on Altruism, if you ask me. I'm worried that I'll be brainwashed. i don't know too much about this subject. I don't know where to differentiate the opinion from fact.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
PouringRain
08-06-2010, 11:12 PM
Unlike Woodrow, I have not read him or any of his stuff. But I just wanted to say.....

I read so far the chapter on relationships and altruism. I liked and agreed with both. He gave a neutral opinion on Altruism, if you ask me. I'm worried that I'll be brainwashed. i don't know too much about this subject. I don't know where to differentiate the opinion from fact.
You can always bring things you read up on the forum and ask others about them if you seem unsure.

Woodrow
08-07-2010, 12:01 AM
That's some excellent advice. Gotta note that down! Jazax bro. May Allah Ta'ala reward you. And will do iA! :D

So you've read him? I read so far the chapter on relationships and altruism. I liked and agreed with both. He gave a neutral opinion on Altruism, if you ask me. I'm worried that I'll be brainwashed. i don't know too much about this subject. I don't know where to differentiate the opinion from fact.

More like I just skimmed through his books in the Sturgis Library a couple months back. His book "The Political Brain" gives a very good insight into the thought processes that lead a person into becoming a Democrat and strategies that could be used to gain support for Democrat Candidates.

I will say he is interesting but like most psychological works it is good for explaining what happened in the past, but is not useful for attempting to determine the future.

Consider his works for historical reference and not a guide for planning.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!