/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Help needed - interpretation of verses!

Rana02
08-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Salam brothers and sisters,

I have a few queries, if any of you could help me clarify, I would really appreciate it.

I have been speaking to a non-Muslim for the past couple of weeks and she has thrown some arguments at me regarding Islam. Most of which I had answers to. However, recently she referenced the following quote from the Holy Quran and argues as follows-

the Quran clearly states that people get tortured for disbelief:

"Surely, those who disbelieve in our revelations, we will condemn them to the hellfire. Whenever their skins are burnt, we will give them new skins. Thus, they will suffer continuously." (4:56)

"But as for those who disbelieve, garments of fire will be cut out for them; boiling fluid will be poured down on their heads, Whereby that which is in their bellies, and their skins too, will be melted; And for them are hooked rods of iron Whenever, in their anguish, they would go forth from thence they are driven back therein and (it is said unto them): Taste the doom of burning." (22:19-22)

These verses are crystal clear. Disbelief itself is a crime punishable by hell. And there are hundreds of other verses like them. Disbelievers go to hell is probably the most frequent theme of the Koran.

Her argument is that the Quran promotes hate speech towards the non-believers (so anyone that isn't a Muslim) and that Allah is [God forbid] 'evil' because he tortures people. She says that Islam is a religion.

I need to know how I can explain those verses to her in a positive manner and how I can convince her that Islam is a religion of peace. Hopefully, someone over here will be able to help me. I look forward to your replies.

JezakAllah khair

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Dan-fish
09-14-2010, 08:47 PM
well if there was no punishment for disbelief, would you be a muslim?

siam
09-16-2010, 02:46 AM
The Quran does not promote hate speech----it promotes accountability. This means that we human beings are responsible for our choices. We have been blessed with free-will---but with this blessing come the responsibility of making choices for which we will be held accountable.The word "kaffir" in Arabic (translated as disbeliever") means "one who covers up" and comes from the root word that means ungrateful. Therefore, the real meaning of "disbeliever" is ---one who covers up the truth after knowing and understanding it because he is ungrateful.Who is or is not a "disbeliever" is for God to judge because we human beings cannot know what is in the heart of someone---only God knows this. Someone who is a disbeliever has chosen of his own free-will to reject guidance and goodness after understanding it. He will, therefore, be held accountable for this choice.

ghost
09-22-2010, 03:46 PM
I have a few queries, if any of you could help me clarify, I would really appreciate it.

I have been speaking to a murderer for the past couple of weeks and she has thrown some arguments at me regarding murder. Most of which I had answers to. However, recently she referenced the following quote from the law and argues as follows-

the law clearly states that people get put in jail for murder:

'murderers will be put in jail'

'they will be kept in jail for a long time'

These verses are crystal clear. Murder itself is a crime punishable by jail time. And there are hundreds of other verses like them. Murderers go to jail is probably the most frequent theme of the law.

Her argument is that the law promotes hate speech towards the murderes and that the government is 'evil' because they keep people locked in cells. She says that the government isn't right.

I need to know how I can explain those verses to her in a positive manner and how I can convince her that the law is a law of peace. Hopefully, someone over here will be able to help me. I look forward to your replies.

Firstly, I'm not comparing murder and the Quran, I'm comparing a crime

If you murder someone it is a crime and therefore you get punished for it. Right?

In Islam disbelief is a crime and disbelievers get punished for it.

The murdered gets punished when he commits the murder or rather as soon as possible.

Whereas in Islam the disbeliever can disbelief his whole life and then revert and inshallah will be granted paradise.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
marwen
09-22-2010, 07:24 PM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by Rana02
Her argument is that the Quran promotes hate speech towards the non-believers
There is nothing in the above verses that says Quran promotes hate or hate speech towards non-believers. Yes, disbelivers will probably be punished, but that's their personal life and their own decision, we don't hate them. All we can is to not do what they did to not have the same destiny. But we should not hate them if they are peaceful. Quran does not say that.

Allah is [God forbid] 'evil' because he tortures people
Astaghfirullah.
First, Allah will not torture people for nothing, Allah only tortures sinners and disbelievers, and only after he warned them in this life : all people who deserve hellfire have been already warned before, and they chose to disbelieve, so if they get punished, it's fair enough for every reasonable person.
Second, non believers don't understand that disbelieving is a very obnoxious sin. Non-believers are not aware of the gravity of their sin (disbelief) because they just don't believe in God. They think that disbelieving is not a big deal, it's just a personal choice. But In reality every sin we do against Allah (no matter how little is it in our eyes) should be considered a very dangerous sin because the one we offended is the Great Creator.
What sin can be more dangerous, more evil and more stupid than the fact of not believing in the One who brought us to existence ?
That explains why disbelievers deserve to be punished.

I need to know how I can explain those verses to her in a positive manner and how I can convince her that Islam is a religion of peace
No need to give any other explanation, Islam is a religion of truth and fairness. We just present the truth to people and they have the choice to accept it or to refuse it.
Peace is a very specific term. Peace is not always recommended : sometimes you have to defend yourself and to restore your rights. Sometimes to establish justice, you have to be firm and severe. Being always peaceful is against peace.

Ummu Sufyaan
09-25-2010, 02:09 PM
Her argument is that the Quran promotes hate speech towards the non-believers (so anyone that isn't a Muslim) and that Allah is [God forbid] 'evil' because he tortures people. She says that Islam is a religion.
hate speech? whose fault is it to disbelieve? Allah also speaks good of the believers (i.e their reward of jannah) why? because they believe.

fair and square. im not going to expect people to speak good of me if i haven't given them reasons to.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!