/* */

PDA

View Full Version : If I were to ask how old are you

Beardo
09-06-2010, 02:42 AM
I'm a news reporter for a local newspaper, and my Editor recently gave me an important rule of news reporting...: You have to ask the interviewee's age. =/

So my question to you... Would you be offended if a news reporter asked you for your age?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Beardo
09-06-2010, 02:43 AM
This would be in the context for example... You're at an event and a news reporter wants your opinion on how the event is going so far blah blah, blah blah.

Soulja Girl
09-06-2010, 02:47 AM
:sl:

Nope. Not at all. Not the slightest bit.

:wa:

Beardo
09-06-2010, 02:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Lady

Nope. Not at all. Not the slightest bit.

I would assume people in their 40s or 50s would get offended.

Or if I'm interviewing people I know. =/

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
09-06-2010, 03:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad

I doubt if many would be offended, but I feel that is the age group most likely to be a bit erroneous in what they report their age as.

Once a person reaches my age, it becomes a source of pride to tell your age to everybody who will listen.

cat eyes
09-06-2010, 03:09 AM

yup they would get offended. they will either slap you or lie about there age;D

it can be sensitive question for some women so thread carefully

but my opinion is it shouldnt be of any importance when interviewing someone unless your doing an important survey on something

mudassara
09-06-2010, 04:52 AM
Ya agreed that depends on the mentality of the people… I u ask me a will straight away will tell my age….

abdussattar
09-06-2010, 05:22 AM
I dont think anyone would be offended.

Never ask a woman her age, though.

Even the Old age women... dont ask their age, ask their age group...if you tell them that you are from a newspaper and show then your ID card, i think they wont be offended.

But no guarantees from my side! If any of them slaps you :omg: then dont come fuming at me :embarrass

Alpha Dude
09-06-2010, 07:07 AM
I think it's mostly insecure women that would feel offended.

Perhaps a way around that would be to ask an age group and not for an age directly.

Asiyah3
09-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Not at all.

I think some insecure people ashamed of their old age and with the silly "be young & enjoy life" mentality would be.

Live as a traveler.

Rhubarb Tart
09-06-2010, 11:28 AM
No I wouldn’t be offended.

kashmirshazad
09-06-2010, 11:32 AM
I thought women were very defensive if you ask them this kind of question

PouringRain
09-06-2010, 02:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by kashmirshazad
It is not polite to ask a woman her age........... of course when do people do what is polite anymore? :)

For me, if someone asks my age, I am not offended, but it also depends on the context. There can be a lot of age discrimination-- for both young and old. Knowing an individual's age can cause bias.

Beardo
09-06-2010, 02:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by kashmirshazad
lol. True that. But I typically don't interview women though. Usually because they come in large clusters, and I prefer attacking the stray sheep.

Looking at stats, though, it seems as if most people will not be offended. Not much to worry about, in that case.

S_87
09-06-2010, 02:40 PM
i would only think its rude if you guessed me older, even if my birthday was the next day and you said that age!

otherwise not bothered

Beardo
09-06-2010, 02:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by S_87
i would only think its rude if you guessed me older, even if my birthday was the next day and you said that age!

otherwise not bothered
Well, as a news reporter, you don't guess anyone's age. You just ask them their name, age, and profession. So I guess I'm safe in that aspect.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
09-06-2010, 03:24 PM
An early Eid Mubarak : D. . . . . .

'Abd Al-Maajid
09-06-2010, 05:32 PM
Well I don't really mind if anyone asks me about my age....Why would I ponder on such an unimportant thing...Rashad, you are being too silly these days...lol...jk

format_quote Originally Posted by мυѕℓιмαн 4 ℓιfє
That's too early...;D

Life_Is_Short
09-06-2010, 11:46 PM
So my question to you... Would you be offended if a news reporter asked you for your age?
I won't get offended so long as s/he does not assume I am 15 and still attend secondary school.

أحمد
09-06-2010, 11:52 PM

For anyone feeling "insecure" about their age; always remember one thing. This life isn't very long; there's nothing to feel "insecure" about.

(79:46) It will be, on the Day (Al-Qiyamah) they see it, as though they had not remained [in the world] except for an afternoon or a morning thereof.

PouringRain
09-07-2010, 02:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Life_Is_Short
I won't get offended so long as s/he does not assume I am 15 and still attend secondary school.
When was pregnant with my fourth, there was a lady at a church I visited who asked me if I was going to come to the youth class! ^o)

Ansariyah
09-07-2010, 12:03 PM
Nope, I wouldnt mind.

Abdul Wahid
09-07-2010, 01:28 PM
No I wouldn't mind.

Maybe its just insecure people who will offended. What's the worst that's going to happen? They won't talk to you. Move on to the next person.

Snowflake
09-07-2010, 01:43 PM
:sl: I wouldn't be offended at all. But is it necessary? However, I do forget how old I am sometimes.

However I don't like telling random people on the internet how old I am. (for security reasons/ID theft etc)

format_quote Originally Posted by abdussattar
I dont think anyone would be offended.

Never ask a woman her age, though.

Even the Old age women... dont ask their age, ask their age group...if you tell them that you are from a newspaper and show then your ID card, i think they wont be offended.

But no guarantees from my side! If any of them slaps you :omg: then dont come fuming at me :embarrass

Does any one else struggle to read this minute font? It's a crime : \

'Abd Al-Maajid
09-07-2010, 01:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scents of Jannah
Does any one else struggle to read this minute font? It's a crime : \
LOL you'll probably need a magnifying glass to read that...carry it when you are coming on board ;D

Periwinkle18
09-07-2010, 02:22 PM
no i wouldn't mind telling my age, i dun get y ppl don't lyke telling their ages :P LOlz if u interview ppl here in Pak they'll gather arund u n would b dying to get interviewed :P its so funny wen i watch the news

format_quote Originally Posted by мυѕℓιмαн 4 ℓιfє
Eid mubarak to u too sis :) May u hav a blessed eid and may Allah forgive awl ur sins Ameen remember me in ur prayers :)

~Raindrop~
09-07-2010, 02:46 PM
I get asked that all the time. And about one person in 30 believes me when I tell them my age. The rest just have a huge fake smile on their face and say: come on, really?
It does get annoying.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
09-07-2010, 04:32 PM
^Come on, Reallly?? o_O

IslamicRevival
09-08-2010, 12:04 AM
A stranger asking me how old i am? Thanks but no thanks!

abdussattar
09-08-2010, 05:58 AM
got the answer
http://www.islamicboard.com/forum-he...-computer.html

elina
03-30-2011, 05:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Beardo

i wouldnt be offended at all and im in my 40's :)

Endymion
03-30-2011, 05:28 PM
Why would i get offended.I will simply give them a wrong idea about my age :D

Haya emaan
03-30-2011, 05:31 PM
bieng offended.. not at all....

Revert 2010
03-30-2011, 05:43 PM
I would say guess, it's always interesting to hear the answers lol.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-31-2011, 01:43 AM

Why do people get offended anyway? Yea sometimes these questions are unnecessary and maybe for some reason or other you don't want to give out personal information...but some people are just unnecessarily offended like they were just insulted lol! Your age is your age, you cant change how old you turn. Most if not all will go through this, granted you're living, so why be offended? Its a natural phase...if Im still alive I'll too be old, big deal.

And to answer your question, no I would not be offended :D

Ğħαrєєвαħ
03-31-2011, 11:17 AM
hmm, is it Eid yet!?

sherz_umr
03-31-2011, 11:39 AM
As long as u dont guess their age to be older than their actual age,its fine..esp women. If u ask a woman 'ur 40?' evn if shes 39 nd a hlf..she'd b ofnded. It may b coz she'l feel ..i dunno, unattractiv/wrinkly old/ugly?.. Evrybdy wants to luk and feel gud abt their appearance.
I wont b ofended.......yet :p
Tel thm ur a reporter,ask their age. No offence..unles they r silly.

Ranya
04-04-2011, 07:25 PM
In Italy it's normal to ask how old are you. It's not a problem for me.

Zuzubu
04-04-2011, 07:40 PM
Obviously not? O.o It's just an age.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-05-2011, 02:17 PM
How could you possibly be offended by what is only a natural occurrence? :/

Ğħαrєєвαħ
04-05-2011, 04:12 PM
^Eggsactly!....

AlbertWesker
04-06-2011, 08:28 AM
If a news reporter asked how old I am, I would tell them I am 23.

AslamP
04-18-2011, 04:52 PM
It would depend on why the reporter was asking for the age - yes and no.

laila_99
07-25-2011, 04:27 PM
the youth would definitly not mind whereas the elders would ..even though they shouldnt ..

GuestFellow
07-25-2011, 08:58 PM
Salaam,

No, I won't get offended over something so trivial.

Just_A_Girl13
07-26-2011, 12:38 AM
Asaalamu alaikum brother Beardo,

I work for a newspaper and my editor allows me to ask older adults for their occupation instead of their age. You might try that.

Peace and blessings be with you :)

Who Am I?
08-03-2011, 10:49 PM
I'd say I was 29....

... and a half.

;D

Karl
08-08-2011, 09:07 AM
I wouldn't be "offended" but I would consider it very rude because it's quite a personal question, a bit like asking for my bank account number. It wouldn't be so bad if we in the West didn't live in such an ageist time. Age discrimination is utterly rampant, and it is a prejudice that affects young and old alike. This discrimination runs SO deep that they even have LAWS based merely on one's lunar age. People seem to get all sensitive and uptight over racism, but ageism is just as bad, yet it is not even recognized by many people even AS a bigotry. Many people are ageist bigots and that's why I would refuse to tell anyone what my own age is.

ardianto
09-02-2011, 02:45 AM
I asked my wife :

"Some women were lying when people asked their age. They gave false answer and pretended as younger women. If some people ask your age, will you lie and pretend as younger woman ?"
"No, I won't"
"Why ?"
"If I pretend as younger woman, they will look at my face and start thinking I am look older than my age. So, if I must lie, it's better if I pretend as older woman, and they will think I am look younger than my age".

That's my wife. :statisfie

SFatima
09-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Im always 18 :D so doesn't really matter if chronologic age exceeds the age of my heart and mind :D So I'll say 18, since thats my heart's age, soul is just like 5,6 yrs old lol. ( by that definition all new recent reverts are currently babies at the moment, soul wise :) )

joyous fairy
09-10-2011, 08:18 PM
I wouldnt be offended if someone asked my age. A lot of the time when I tell people my age they be like ':omg: You look so young' and I get embarrassed lol. Once this lady asked me and when I told her, she was like ':O You nearly gave me a heart attack, you look 16! '. I get annoyed sometimes though, cos of the way people react. :heated:

Pure Purple
09-11-2011, 08:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by joyous fairy
I wouldnt be offended if someone asked my age. A lot of the time when I tell people my age they be like ' You look so young' and I get embarrassed lol. Once this lady asked me and when I told her, she was like ':O You nearly gave me a heart attack, you look 16! '. I get annoyed sometimes though, cos of the way people react.
I always tried to avoid to tell about my age.Because almost everyone who come to know about my age got shocked.
because I look very young than what is my age is.Heights some people think that I am in School .sometimes it's Irritating.And they think that my younger sister is elder than me.Even they had heard that i am elder than her than also they are asking She is elder than you?

flowergarden
09-11-2011, 08:34 AM
salaam :)
well it depends on the story, if it is relevant to the story than of course not... but if it has nothing to do with it, what the point... but no i don't think i'd get offended in any case.

As the saying does, with age come wisdom, and beauty! :P

Pure Purple
09-11-2011, 08:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by flowergarden
but no i don't think i'd get offended in any case.
Even I don't get offended.Just telling fact.

noorseeker
09-11-2011, 08:38 AM
Are you in directly asking people age age bro;D

I see a lot of people on here say they dont mind, but not revealing their ages ^o)

Im 29 , going to be 30 next month

Pure Purple
09-11-2011, 08:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by noorseeker
I see a lot of people on here say they dont mind, but not revealing their ages
.They are not revealing their because Question is Are you offended If someone ask about your age and not How old are you.:p
you misunderstood the question:p

noorseeker
09-11-2011, 08:49 AM
No i did understand the question:D

I think op was scared to ask how old are you ;D

There was a thread about this , a lot of people were not happy to answer

I wish i was 22

flowergarden
09-11-2011, 08:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Qurratulain
I always tried to avoid to tell about my age.Because almost everyone who come to know about my age got shocked.
because I look very young than what is my age is.Heights some people think that I am in School .sometimes it's Irritating.And they think that my younger sister is elder than me.Even they had heard that i am elder than her than also they are asking She is elder than you?
LOL I get that... but I LOVE it. To look younger is a blessing from Allah!
People always get shocked when they hear my age, then they always say "girl be grateful for the blessing of youthfulness from God" :D
And I sure am, I am in my twenties, and I always get 15 even 12 hahahaha!

It shouldn't be embarrassing, because when your older you'll look 20 when your actually 40 :) I'm short too..

Cute things come in small packages, and looking youthful is always a beautiful thing! Be proud!

'Abd Al-Maajid
09-11-2011, 09:20 AM
Heights some people think that I am in School .sometimes it's Irritating.And they think that my younger sister is elder than me.Even they had heard that i am elder than her than also they are asking She is elder than you?
Same here, People think that i am 'younger' than my younger brothers.

Riana17
09-11-2011, 09:36 AM
Salam

83% said no, hmm when I reach 30, I would think twice before giving my age hahaha lool

AmineH
09-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Salaam

I think i'm the youngest member in this forum .

Ğħαrєєвαħ
09-11-2011, 01:16 PM
As'Salaam Alaaykum

format_quote Originally Posted by Beardo
Would you be offended if a news reporter asked you for your age?
No, I would not be offended.

joyous fairy
09-18-2011, 09:37 PM
It gets very annoying sometimes. Me and my sisters all look young and people always assume we're still in school/college, even though we are in our twenties!

Al-Mufarridun
09-18-2011, 09:51 PM
the old want to be young
the young want to be old

Al-Mufarridun
09-18-2011, 09:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by riana17
salam

83% said no, hmm when i reach 40, i would think twice before giving my age hahaha lool
lol Haha! .......,,,....

Innocent Soul
09-19-2011, 02:36 AM
^o) You changed the quote.
format_quote Originally Posted by Riana17
Salam

83% said no, hmm when I reach 30, I would think twice before giving my age hahaha lool
format_quote Originally Posted by Riana17
salam

83% said no, hmm when i reach 40, i would think twice before giving my age hahaha lool

Al-Mufarridun
09-19-2011, 06:26 AM
^ lol, yea i was hoping Riana would notice first.

lame joke.

sis muslimah
10-31-2011, 10:14 PM
nope not at all =)

Marina-Aisha
11-12-2011, 08:03 PM
i wouldnt be bothered if someone ask my age, age is just a number..

Huzzy_786
11-12-2011, 08:05 PM
Not really, Seeing I am 15 haha

Abu Taj al Deen
01-12-2012, 08:36 AM
Who cares? It's just a number - not a definition... :/

'Abd Al-Maajid
01-12-2012, 08:40 AM
^ It's a number which describes you to some extent, no? :hmm:

sis muslimah
01-19-2012, 10:22 PM
Nope not at all

Who Am I?
01-19-2012, 10:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Mufarridun
the old want to be young
the young want to be old

This reminds me of something my father once told me, that the problem with youth is that it is wasted on the young. Of course, when I myself was a young lad, I looked at him like "What are you talking about, old man?" ^o)

I will be 36 in a few weeks, and now I understand what he was talking about. I wasted my youth on idle pursuits and dreams of fancy, and now there are things that I want to accomplish that I just don't have the time or energy for anymore that I had a decade ago.

GuestFellow
01-21-2012, 11:50 PM
I think I'll be 50 by the time everyone forgets about this topic.

UmmuShaheed
01-22-2012, 01:11 AM
I wouldnt be offended, I guess it depends on how old the person being asked the question is :/

peace_maker
01-22-2012, 08:27 PM
I wouldn't be offended. But I wouldn't tell my age either. Against house rules. :hmm:

Sothis Girl
01-28-2012, 10:31 AM
I would ask him back how old he thinks I am ;D

real islam
03-09-2012, 03:54 PM
I would say i have to ask the authority.

SorayaCali
03-09-2012, 06:39 PM
Im 22, Im of Yemenite Jewish and Argentine background, and I learned about Islam over the years from several sources.

Serendipity
03-11-2012, 03:11 PM
No I am not that sensitive

Scimitar
03-11-2012, 03:47 PM
interviewer "Your name sir?"

me "Don freakin' King"

interviewer "really?"

me "no, it's Michael wooohooo Jackson"

interviewer "and how old are you Michael?"

me "old enough to be dead, but don't quote me"

Interviewer gives himself a facepalm, and I moonwalk off.

This took place at Trafalgar square last year...

Scimi

~Zaria~
03-11-2012, 04:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar

me "Don freakin' King"

interviewer "really?"

Scimi

LOL

You're kidding, right?

Why?

White Rose
03-11-2012, 04:49 PM
Forget about age, I will run away before you can even interview me. ;D

ardianto
03-11-2012, 04:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar

me "Don freakin' King"

interviewer "really?"

Scimi
Hmmm, I remember this moment. Yes, you left the interviwer with moonwalk.

But a moment later the interviewer asked me "Justin, we heard Selena Gomez left you?"

Snowflake
03-14-2012, 05:53 PM
I have just realized that I actually love telling strangers my age if they ask. Just not on the internet.

ardianto
03-15-2012, 04:38 PM
@sisters

In many places, asking about age to female unnecessary is considered inappropriate. So, if someone ask about your age unnecessary, it's okay if you reply with "why you ask?". However if someone ask about your age necessary and you refuse to tell your age, you would be marked as a low confidence female who afraid to being old.

Ramadan90
03-15-2012, 04:57 PM
No.^o)

ardianto
03-18-2012, 12:10 PM
May I out of topic for a moment?

Why Beardo said "If I were", not "If I was"?

PS: I do not speak English in daily life.

marwen
03-18-2012, 04:33 PM
^ 'I were' is the subjunctive form/mode of 'I was'. It's used in an unreal conditional sentence.
In short : I use 'I was' if I want to express something possible. But I use 'I were [.. would ...]' to express something hypotethical, or unreal.

example :
1) If I was wrong, please correct me ==> it's possible that I was wrong. => real conditional.
2) If I were you, I would never get this money ==> I can't be you (not possible) : that's hypothetical. => unreal conditional.
(note that you will use 'would', after using the subjunctive 'I were'.)

In this thread, Beardo said : 'If I were to ask how old are you', he won't really ask you that. It's just hypothetical. Right Beardo ?

If I was wrong, please correct me. (<-- this is not an example, seriously correct me if I said something wrong. )

PS. : may be we need a thread dedicated for english questions, I guess it would be helpful for all.

ardianto
03-18-2012, 04:37 PM
Jazak Allah Khayr, brother Marwen.

:)

Scimitar
03-18-2012, 04:41 PM
Not being funny but if a reporter asked me my age - I'd reply with "you should know that already, you're the one who is doing the research, I'm only here for the interview" loool

Scimi

Abu.Yusuf
03-18-2012, 05:09 PM
personally i wouldnt mind....but like you said older people may get offended... so depends on the person. Dont think anyone can answer you question, youll just have to experiment :D

let us know if you get beats lol

real islam
03-19-2012, 05:56 AM
I think scimiter made a good answer

TrueStranger
04-23-2012, 04:49 AM
Age is nothing but a number, it all comes down to how young or how old you look. If you have a baby-face, you could be a 30 year old woman and people will probably ignore the number, and focus on your looks.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!