/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Super useful information about Zakat-ul-Fitr...

Ummu Sufyaan
09-07-2010, 12:34 PM
:sl:

8 Basic Boo-Boo's some make when Paying Zakat Al-Fitr
By Muhammad Alshareef, compliments of http://www.PostRamadan.com

I feel compelled to put this together because I’ve seen the following boo-boos happen for years. In sha Allah, you can help me spread the word by sharing this article with your community, friends and family.

What is Zakat ul-Fitr? Think “Iftar”, Zakat Ul-Fitr is the charity that we pay at the end of Ramadan. Here is the foundational hadith that establishes the obligation of Zakat ul-Fitr:

Ibn `Umar reported that the Prophet (sal Allahu alayhi wasallam), made Zakat al-Fitr compulsory on every slave,freeman, male, female, young and old among the Muslims; one Saa` (a measurement: four double handfuls) of dried dates or one Saa` of barely. [Sahih Bukhari - Arabic/English, vol. 2, p. 339, no. 579]

To understand Zakat ul-Fitr, here is a good summary of it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zakat_al-fitr

But unfortunately, our community makes some basic boo-boos in the payment of Zakat Al-Fitr that must be clarified.

Boo-Boo One: Paying at Eid Salah
Some people go to Eid prayers and drop money into the donation box thinking that they have paid their Zakatul-Fitr. No, Zakat al-Fitr, which is food, must be in the hands of the needy family BEFORE Eid prayer. If someone goes to Eid prayer and pays then it is GUARANTEED that the
money will NOT arrive on time. And thus the person paying is sinful for having missed the payment of Zakat al-Fitr.May Allah forgive us.

Boo-Boo Two:Snail mailing the money overseas
Basic principle as before: the Zakat al-Fitr, food, MUST be in the hands of the needy BEFORE Eid prayer. One cannot mail the money overseas and have it arrive in the hands of the needy after Eid prayer is over.

However, if one is able to get the Zakah al-Fitr to the needy overseas BEFORE Eid prayer is conducted in their locality, then in sha Allah it’s alright.

Boo-Boo Three: Not paying
Yes, as simple as this boo-boo is, it is HARAM to skip the payment of Zakat Al-Fitr. EVERYONE must pay Zakat Al-Fitr, every member of the household. So if you have 8 people in your house, Zakat Al-Fitr must be paid x 8, even if the youngest member is just a few days old.

Boo-Boo Four: Confusing Zakat ul-Fitr with Zakat ul-Maal
We are talking about Zakat al-Fitr here (think “Iftar”,i.e. Ramadan). Zakat Al-Maal (Maal literally means wealth), is the Zakah due on ones money – and that could be due any time during the year depending on when it was due.

Boo-Boo Five: Giving money instead of food
Although some scholars have allowed giving money instead of food, the spirit of Zakat Al-Fitr is to give food to the needy of the community, NOT money.

The Companion of the Prophet, Abu Sa`eed al-Khudree, radiAllahu 'anhu, said, "In the Prophet's time, we used to give it (Zakatal-Fitr) as a sa` of food, dried dates, barley, raisins or dried cheese". [Bukhari - Arabic/English vol. 2, p. 340, no. 582]

Boo-Boo Six: Giving one’s Zakah al-Fitr to a charitable building project
Some people mistakenly give their Zakah Al-Fitr to a charitable building project: like the building of a Masjid, or Islamic school. There is a difference of opinion on this issue, but suffice it to say that the spirit of Zakah Al-Fitr is that the needy should have plentiful food on Eid. All eight types of recipients of Zakah mentioned in the Quran are HUMANS, not “building projects”.

Boo-Boo Seven: Giving Zakat ul-Fitr to non-Muslims

Charity is given to both Non-Muslims and Muslims. However, Zakah al-Fitr charity is something exclusive to the MUSLIM poor and needy. Hence, one could not give Zakah Al-Fitr to any needy person on the street. “Regular” charity can be given to them, but not Zakah Al-Fitr.

Boo-Boo Eight: Delaying distribution

Sometimes Masjids might collect Zakah Al-Fitr money and then put it in a bank. It doesn’t reach the needy for months and months. The correct method is to give Zakah Al-Fitr immediately when it is due.

In sha Allah, if you have Zakah questions, I encourage you to seek counsel from your local sources of knowledge. People you can speak to directly. And I've noted some points that have a difference of opinion, so if your local sources of knowledge tell you other than what I've told you, and you trust them, then listen to them.

With best wishes to see you succeed in Ramadan at the highest level!
- Muhammad Alshareef

------------------------
Other relevant links:
The rate of zakaat al-fitr
Is the zakaat al-fitr that his father paid on his behalf in cash acceptable?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Sawdah
09-08-2010, 01:46 AM
^ I got that by email, alhamdulillah. :smile:

JazakiAllah Khair for sharing sis.

abdussattar
09-08-2010, 05:29 AM
Wow I didnt know that you have to give it before Eid salah, and that you cant give money.. Jazakallah for sharing.

Ummu Sufyaan
09-09-2010, 12:42 PM
:sl:
*bump...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
'Abd Al-Maajid
09-10-2010, 10:36 AM
...and one saa' is equal to...?

Ummu Sufyaan
09-10-2010, 10:59 AM
^ it says it in the 3rd paragraph of the first post

Ibn `Umar reported that the Prophet (sal Allahu alayhi wasallam), made Zakat al-Fitr compulsory on every slave,freeman, male, female, young and old among the Muslims; one Saa` (a measurement: four double handfuls) of dried dates or one Saa` of barely. [Sahih Bukhari - Arabic/English, vol. 2, p. 339, no. 579]

'Abd Al-Maajid
09-10-2010, 11:02 AM
...and it's metric equivalent would be...:?

abdussattar
09-10-2010, 11:04 AM
I saa = 1.590 kgs

Better to give 2 kilos to be on the safe side :)

abdussattar
09-10-2010, 06:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan
Boo-Boo Five: Giving money instead of food
I heard that it is better to give money, as one cannot live completely on wheat...

(heard it from ustazul qarrah Qari mohammed ali khan)

Ramadhan
09-12-2010, 03:19 AM
In Indonesia we give 2.5 kilos of rice (our staple food)

ardianto
09-12-2010, 10:35 AM
That's because the main food in Indonesia is rice.

marwen
08-13-2012, 11:30 AM
BUMP.

When zakaat al-fitr should be paid ?

Is the time for paying zakaat al-fitr from after the prayer until the end of that day?.

Praise be to Allaah. The time for paying zakaat al-fitr does not begin after the Eid prayer, rather it starts after sunset on the last day of Ramadaan, which is the first night of the month of Shawwaal, and it ends with the Eid prayer. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded that it should be paid before the prayer. Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever pays it before the prayer, it is accepted zakaah (i.e., zakaat al-fitr), and whoever pays it after the prayer, it is ordinary charity.” Narrated by Abu Dawood, 2/262-263, no. 1609; Ibn Maajah, 1/585, no. 1827; al-Daaraqutni, 2/138; al-Haakim, 1/409.
It is permissible to pay it one or two days before that, because of the report narrated by Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) enjoined sadaqat al-fitr in Ramadaan.” According to another report, they used to pay it one or two days before the end of Ramadaan.
Whoever delays it after its time has sinned, and he has to repent for delaying and give it to the poor.
And Allaah is the Source of strength.

Standing Committee for Academic Research and Issuing Fatwas, fatwa no. 2896

IslamQA

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!