/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Cell phones powered by conversation ?

marwen
09-16-2010, 11:25 PM
"Just as speakers transform electric signals into sound, the opposite process — of turning sound into a source of electrical power — is possible," said Young Jun Park and Sang-Woo Kim, the two corresponding authors of a new article in the journal Advanced Materials.

"Sound power can be used for various novel applications including mobile phones that can be charged during conversations and sound-insulating walls near highways that generate electricity from the sound of passing vehicles," the co-authors added.

Harvesting energy from phone calls and passing cars is based on materials known as piezoelectrics. When bent, a piezoelectric material turns that mechanical energy into electricity.
Lots of materials are piezoelectric: cane sugar, quartz and even dried bone creates an electrical charge when stressed. For decades, scientists have pumped electricity into piezoelectric materials for use in environmental sensors, speakers and other devices.

Over the last few years, however, scientists have made dramatic advances in getting electricity out of piezoelectric devices. Most of these devices, which are not yet available for consumer purchase, would generate power as a person walks, runs or, in this case, talks. The U.S. Army is even looking at partially powering some vehicles by channeling the physical impact of a bullet into a small electrical current.

The Korean scientists, however, want to harness a different kind of power source: sound waves.

Using zinc oxide, the main ingredient in calamine lotion, Young Jun Park, Sang-Woo Kim and their colleagues created a field of nanowires sandwiched between two electrodes. The researchers blasted that sandwich with sound waves, which at 100 decibels were not quite as loud as a rock concert. A normal conversation is about 60-70 decibels.
The sound waves produced a mild electrical current of about 50 millivolts. The average cell phone requires a few volts to operate, several times the power this technology can currently produce.

The new research is interesting, said Michael McAlpine, a scientist at Princeton University who also builds energy harvesting devices.

"But the real question though is whether there is enough ambient noise to act as a power source as for a cell phone," said McAlpine. A consumer probably wouldn't want to attend a rock concert or stand next to a passing train to charge their cell phone.

The Korean scientists agree: 50 millivolts is not a lot of power, but they also say their research is proof of concept. As they continue their work, they expect to get a higher power output.

source..

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
marwen
09-16-2010, 11:27 PM
cell phones, not ell phones

S.Belle
09-16-2010, 11:34 PM
an eel phone now that would be rather....painful lol
nice post though its so crazy how technology is becoming so advance.

Woodrow
09-16-2010, 11:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by marwen
cell phones, not ell phones
To the rescue. It has been repaired

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
09-16-2010, 11:39 PM
:sl:

Interesting. I recall as a kid the world war 2 era submarines used something called sound powered phones. Remember seeing them in the late 1940s news reels shown in the movie theaters.

marwen
09-17-2010, 12:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mila
an eel phone now that would be rather....painful lol
nice post though its so crazy how technology is becoming so advance.
LOL

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
To the rescue. It has been repaired
Thank you Uncle !

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
:sl:
I recall as a kid the world war 2 era submarines used something called sound powered phones. Remember seeing them in the late 1940s news reels shown in the movie theaters.
That's really interesting. This provokes some thoughts in my head : Sometimes when I think about advanced technology devices, and I find that many centuries before, some some scientists had the same ideas, I then think that human intelligence is not growing : ancient people were as intelligent as we are (may be more sometimes).
But today's people are lucky because they accumulated many ideas that previous people thought about, and had more tools and time in their hands to achieve what ancients had not the sufficient time to do.

Woodrow
09-17-2010, 12:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by marwen
LOL

Thank you Uncle !

That's really interesting. This provokes some thoughts in my head : Sometimes when I think about advanced technology devices, and I find that many centuries before, some some scientists had the same ideas, I then think that human intelligence is not growing : ancient people were as intelligent as we are (may be more sometimes).
But today's people are lucky because they accumulated many ideas that previous people thought about, and had more tools and time in their hands to achieve what ancients had not the sufficient time to do.
Nearly everything we have today did not exist 200 years ago. I think it can safely be said we are only 200 years, at most, more technologically advanced than the people of 4000 years ago.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!