/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The importance of the Hajj

Darth Ultor
09-19-2010, 03:11 PM
Why is it so important to make the pilgrimage to Mecca and on that specific date? I know it purifies the soul, but how? You have four million people a year making Hajj. Perhaps someone who has been on the Hajj or knows people who did can answer.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ummu Sufyaan
09-20-2010, 02:48 AM
the most obvious answer would be because it is one of the 5 pillars of Islam. i dont know if that's the answer you're looking for.

Insaanah
09-20-2010, 10:07 AM
Greetings Boaz,

format_quote Originally Posted by Boaz
Why is it so important to make the pilgrimage to Mecca
Hajj to the sacred House of Allaah is one of the pillars of Islam and one of its most important fundamentals, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Islam is built on five (pillars): the testimony that there is no god but Allaah and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allaah, establishing regular prayer, paying zakaah, fasting Ramadaan and performing pilgrimage to the sacred House of Allaah.”

It is obligatory according to the Book of Allaah and the Sunnah of His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and according to the consensus of the Muslims. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And pilgrimage to the House is a duty unto Allah for mankind, for him who can find a way thither. As for him who disbelieveth, (let him know that) lo! Allah is Independent of (all) creatures” [Aal ‘Imraan 3:97]

The conditions of Hajj being obligatory are five:

1 – Being Muslim.

2 – Being an adult. If a person has not yet reached the age of puberty, Hajj is not obligatory for him. If he does Hajj it is valid and counts as a voluntary Hajj, and when he reaches adulthood he must do the obligatory Hajj, because Hajj before puberty does not fulfil the obligation.

3 – Being of sound mind, 4- being free, and 5- being able, financially and physically.

and on that specific date?
As to the date, the rituals of Hajj are performed on specific dates in the month of Dhul Hijjah (literally translated as "possessor of Hajj", i.e. the month in which is Hajj, 12th month of the Islamic calendar) since the time of Prophet Abraham (peace be upon him). When Allah taught the rituals of Hajj, He taught the dates too.

I know it purifies the soul, but how?
It was narrated in al-Saheehayn that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “Whoever performs Hajj and does not utter obscenities or commit sin, will come back as sinless as on the day when his mother bore him.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1521; Muslim, 1350.

And he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “From one ‘Umrah to the next is an expiation for whatever (sins) came between them, and for an accepted Hajj there is no reward but Paradise.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1773; Muslim, 1349.

Hajj and other righteous deeds are means of expiation of sins, if a person does them in the manner prescribed in sharee’ah.

THIS link tells you about the effect of Hajj on the life and soul of a Muslim.

Hope that helps a bit.

Peace.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!