/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Are you different online?

Beardo
09-21-2010, 02:35 AM
Do you act differently online than you do in person?

Warning: I may quote you in an article I'm writing, using your username.

Jazax in advance. :]

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Insecured soul
09-21-2010, 02:41 AM
Act differently? how?

iv always spoken my mind here, i read a lot here on IB but i participate very less in replying, though i feel i can reply to most of the post but i dont do so coz i find others reply well quoting quran and ahadith

walaikum salam

Dagless
09-21-2010, 03:26 AM
Yes, I'm actually a middle-aged woman from Canada eh.

PouringRain
09-21-2010, 04:27 AM
Off-line I am much less talkative and much less playful towards "strangers". Someone would have to be very close to me off-line to see my chatty-ness or my playful sense of humor. Off-line I can be very distrustful of others and I tend to keep to myself. On-line, the anonymity allows me to be more open and trusting.

If this forum of people, for example, was a school classroom and we were all spending years together day after day.... I wouldn't speak to any of you, except maybe one solitary female who I'd trust over time and take into my confidences, and none of you would know I exist. :p I would not speak up in class unless prompted by the instructor, and even then I'd shrug and say as little as possible. But even though none of you would know me, I'd sit and observe and listen, so that I could know all I could about all of you.

Off-line, that is me. :statisfie

Rashad, you can quote me, but only if you do not use my username. Instead, just make up a name for me. LOL Otherwise this is all off the record.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ژاله
09-21-2010, 04:42 AM
i think everyone acts different online.

Cabdullahi
09-21-2010, 04:49 AM
I am very shy and quiet offline

Cabdullahi
09-21-2010, 05:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by PouringRain
Off-line I am much less talkative and much less playful towards "strangers". Someone would have to be very close to me off-line to see my chatty-ness or my playful sense of humor. Off-line I can be very distrustful of others and I tend to keep to myself. On-line, the anonymity allows me to be more open and trusting.

If this forum of people, for example, was a school classroom and we were all spending years together day after day.... I wouldn't speak to any of you, except maybe one solitary female who I'd trust over time and take into my confidences, and none of you would know I exist. :p I would not speak up in class unless prompted by the instructor, and even then I'd shrug and say as little as possible. But even though none of you would know me, I'd sit and observe and listen, so that I could know all I could about all of you.

Off-line, that is me. :statisfie

Rashad, you can quote me, but only if you do not use my username. Instead, just make up a name for me. LOL Otherwise this is all off the record.
spooky...hannibal lecter the female version!

nebula
09-21-2010, 09:54 AM
i think im same offline lol

abdussattar
09-21-2010, 12:07 PM
Oh well what is the need to be different online? Maintaining two different characteristics is difficult :phew:

marwen
09-21-2010, 01:16 PM
I live online. I'm only offline when I'm asleep.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
09-21-2010, 01:57 PM
^lol

Erm Im geeky in real life and geeky online :-\

so yeah

And i think your all Nerds personally!

ps.Dont use my nick use "Geeky" lol :giggling:

:-\

tigerkhan
09-21-2010, 02:11 PM
:sl:
v.difficult qst bro....
i cant understand my self up till now......but its seems i am same either offline or online.
:wa:

Ansariyah
09-21-2010, 02:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
I am very shy and quiet offline
I fınd that so hard to believe..u cheeky monkey!

lol

Me myself n I..!

cat eyes
09-21-2010, 02:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanoorah

lol

Me myself n I..!
haha me too.

yeah im different offline i would say:><::p

im a cat online and then im a lion offline thats all im saying :shade:

Cabdullahi
09-21-2010, 02:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanoorah

lol

Me myself n I..!
Its the truth

S.Belle
09-21-2010, 03:34 PM
umm not really i consider myself outspoken and i will talk to anyone (that is not creepy lol) offline and online. But I tend to be more blunt offline with friends than with people I dont know on the net but in all I try to be nice and helpful to anyone I talk to.

Cabdullahi
09-21-2010, 03:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mila
umm not really i consider myself outspoken and i will talk to anyone (that is not creepy lol) offline and online. But I tend to be more blunt offline with friends than with people I dont know on the net but in all I try to be nice and helpful to anyone I talk to.
roger mila? is that you!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Milla

S.Belle
09-21-2010, 03:51 PM
roger mila? is that you!
bahaha yea sure im a 58 yr guy from cameroon....but dont tell anyone :nervous:

tango92
09-21-2010, 03:53 PM
you get to be whoever you want online. but id say im the same in real life, slightly less crazy though

ardianto
09-21-2010, 04:29 PM
Hey, he was the oldest footballer in Indonesian Premiere League. The second oldest was Argentinian Mario Kempes.

Although they were old when came to Indonesia, at least Indonesia had world class footballers in the league. :D

Cabdullahi
09-21-2010, 04:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Hey, he was the oldest footballer in Indonesian Premiere League. The second oldest was Argentinian Mario Kempes.

Although they were old when came to Indonesia, at least Indonesia had world class footballers in the league. :D
he was a classic player...but the Indonesian league how is it?

aamirsaab
09-21-2010, 05:28 PM
Easier to make jokes online. In real life, if you miss your timing for a one liner, that's it. Online, you can quote someone two days ago and drop a lol-bomb.

Generally speaking, whether offline or online I'm about the same behaviour/mentality wise.

muslimahhhh
09-21-2010, 05:47 PM
I'm the same person both online/ offline, very quiet & easy going.

No wonder i think about the day when i will enter the SS as its not quite easy for me to get 300 posts. ;D

PouringRain
09-21-2010, 05:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaak
i think everyone acts different online.
I agree.

The internet is often a place where people who are introverted can find their voice. It is easier for others to get to know them. This works for all individuals as well. Those who are agressive, often are moreso on-line. Those who are impulsive off-line, are often just as impulsive on-line, but on-line they actually are more able to go back and "fix" their errors.

Overall, it is not that people are usually someone else on-line, it is that their personality traits may be heightened or lessened.

muslimahhhh
09-21-2010, 06:04 PM
^I agree but personally i find it not so for me.:)

Beardo
09-22-2010, 01:14 AM
So you act differently online. But HOW do you act differently? And why? What do you think the factors are?

And how would you feel if your parents read your posts?

Yanal
09-22-2010, 01:18 AM

I think I am more mature offline than I am online,but I'm working on it..:hmm:

Zafran
09-22-2010, 01:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
So you act differently online. But HOW do you act differently? And why? What do you think the factors are?

salaam

Yes we do act differently online and most of us here I guess will be introverts as said before - the key factor being that nobody knows you - You could be talking to anyone online. I for one speak far more online then in real life. However all the views that I express are my real views even though I dont talk about them that much in real life.

No problem with parents reading my posts.

peace

Insecured soul
09-22-2010, 01:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes

haha me too.

yeah im different offline i would say:><::p

im a cat online and then im a lion offline thats all im saying :shade:
haha common guys, u all crack a lot of funny jokes ;D

Cabdullahi
09-22-2010, 07:01 AM

My mother would only laugh because she knows her son is only joking

muslimahhhh
09-22-2010, 10:35 AM
^Hmm

My mom always say ''Trust yourself wherever you are & speak nothing but the truth'' & ''If you ever lie once, you'll never stop as you'll always have to defend that one lie'' :statisfie

Snowflake
09-22-2010, 11:48 AM

I think some parts of us are the same online as they are offline, while in some respects we are different.

For instance, I'm shy offline and wish I had an invisibility cloak when I go out. This feeling is same when I'm online. I hate chat rooms and even on the forum I use the invisible mode as I hate to be seen. I don't like social sites and only feel comfortable talking to people I've formed a bond with over a long period of time. The anonymity of the interent doesn't make talking to strangers any easier for me.

But there are parts of me which are different online. I feel I have to be careful of how I say things as my words can get easily misconstrued. That makes me feel my personality is suppressed, as I can't express myself openly. I'm much more comfortable talking to people offline, and can express myself much better vocally. I also feel unintelligent and stupid online, yet feel more intelligent than most people offline.

format_quote Originally Posted by muslimahhhh
^Hmm

My mom always say ''Trust yourself wherever you are & speak nothing but the truth'' & ''If you ever lie once, you'll never stop as you'll always have to defend that one lie'' :statisfie
That's very true. MashaAllah. In a nutshell...... "O, what a tangled web we weave when we practice to deceive" you only get yourself caught in it

abdussattar
09-22-2010, 01:54 PM
I'm kinda an unfriendly and angry person offline, but online im good :statisfie as theres none to make me angry here :)

Cabdullahi
09-22-2010, 02:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdussattar
I'm kinda an unfriendly and angry person offline, but online im good :statisfie as theres none to make me angry here :)
abdussatar you batam**z!!

what about now?

abdussattar
09-22-2010, 03:17 PM
What does batam**z mean...?

muslimahhhh
09-22-2010, 05:43 PM
lol @ both of you.

Salahudeen
09-23-2010, 04:04 AM
I ain't left my bedroom much in the last 4 months so I'm not sure, I don't think I'm the same :hmm:

muslimahhhh
09-29-2010, 02:48 AM
^That sort of sound abit weird to me for some reason.

Amoeba
09-29-2010, 08:50 AM
I'm more blunt and to the point online, and less likely to tip-toe around people's feelings. That's not to say I am mean or ever try to be mean because I do know the difference between something that will genuinely hurt someone's feelings and something that will just make certain individuals whiny.

Like wasting of food, when I'm a guest at someone's house and someone wastes their food or whines about their food not being just the way they like it, I really need to bite my tongue because it is a pet hate of mine to see people complain about good food. But if a similar situation were encountered online (ok, can't be about food but something analogous to it) I would feel more free to say something. On the other hand, if someone is genuinely hurting or I feel what I'm about to say has the potential to genuinely hurt someone (as opposed to bruising their ego), even if it's online, I'll refrain from it.

In summary, offline I'm more quiet when I feel I should say something, online I'm more forthcoming when I feel I should say something.

Cabdullahi
09-29-2010, 04:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslimahhhh
^That sort of sound abit weird to me for some reason.

.....Wallahi the way things are going its better to stay in the house than be out there and if brothers think its safe to stay inside we shouldn't call them weird

Muhaba
09-29-2010, 04:36 PM
Rashad, whatever happened to al qalam newsletter? I was really interested in writing for it but it never seemed to get off the ground and now when i go to that url it's not there any more.

mohammed_samuel
09-30-2010, 06:55 PM
is it a haraam to talk to a women online?even tho you are not doing anything unwise? i find it much easier to talk to someone online rather than talking to them face to face.

Hassan C
10-01-2010, 03:23 PM
In a nutshell, I think the internet provides a 'layer of confidence' for me. I feel much more comfortable talking and communicating with people online than I do in real life. Some people may find that a bit weird, but that's how it is for me.

alcurad
10-01-2010, 11:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mohammed_samuel
is it a haraam to talk to a women online?even tho you are not doing anything unwise? i find it much easier to talk to someone online rather than talking to them face to face.
generally, is it forbidden to talk to women offline?
the answer is it depends..whatever is forbidden offline is also forbidden online..

Amoeba
10-02-2010, 08:51 AM
I think it depends on what you're talking about, because (Allah please forgive me if I'm wrong) I don't know this for certain so maybe double check what I'm saying is correct but isn't it okay for women and men to learn from one another about serious topics as long as it's from, how can I put it, behind a curtain (for lack of a better term)?

We can't see any part of each other online (unless we post our photo or something) so in a sense that applies.

But if it's not for the purpose of learning then I don't think it's allowed, but I'll need to check up on that to be sure.

abdussattar
10-02-2010, 10:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amoeba
But if it's not for the purpose of learning then I don't think it's allowed, but I'll need to check up on that to be sure.
Yes. It is best to avoid casual talking to women, whether online or offline.

AslamP
04-18-2011, 08:22 AM
No, I'm the same. Nice question though.

Reflections
04-18-2011, 01:59 PM
I act more or less the same I guess,if someone from offline knows me online as well they would be able to answer 'accurately', just a little less talkative online that offline, and I get along with online sisters more than those offline (sometimes).:ermm:

flowergarden
08-16-2011, 09:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Beardo
Do you act differently online than you do in person?

Warning: I may quote you in an article I'm writing, using your username.

Jazax in advance. :]
Salaam brother!

Well in all honesty if I am online such as this helpful Muslim site, I am not different. Because I do not want advice on something yet give false information. Now for social, like e-mail. I am the same as well, because it is people that know me. I feel that people need to change

who they are so they can make friend with someone that like... Sometimes I feel like young girls write quotes on face-book to get attention, sometimes boys and girls change who they are to gain attention from the person they like or want to befriend! I believe it is all because of societies Television and reality shows.
I know when I was in grade-school, girls thought they had to act "dumb" to get boys attention and be popular, thus when I was in grade school I was picked on a lot for being the person raising her hand and asking question.

So now to strangers who e-mail me, of course I am not formative.

Anyways, I really feel that I am the same online and offline... goofy, silly, nerdy and geeky! :) And I love it.. why be someone you are not? doesn't make any sense.. and what is so fun about being normal?!
Salaam

shible
08-16-2011, 10:11 AM
This question is as difficult as asking a popular lady her age and also same as asking a politician " do you lie? " :phew

but the fact is, I am different depending on the websites. I am more of a surfer and I surf for various news and information than chat in messenger. i use diff id when i feel like having a fun chat i use my generic id and not my name.

Riana17
08-16-2011, 10:18 AM
Salam Alaikkum

I am no different too, and it should be like that, however I am more gently online because I can pause and think.
:p

Salaam

bintul huda
08-16-2011, 10:51 AM
in ofline, a little difrent than online..:statisfie

Innocent Soul
08-16-2011, 12:00 PM
I am not much different because I am shy at first but after some time passes :D. I am usually quite here but I am a bit talkative in real life :nervous:. Talking to someone about religious matters is a bit difficult for me in real life :hmm:.

format_quote Originally Posted by Riana17
I am more gently online because I can pause and think.:p
Yeah I take at least 2 complete minutes for writing a post :hiding:.

Who Am I?
08-16-2011, 06:29 PM

I think I am bolder online. I say things online that I only think in real life but don't have the courage to say. I have more confidence and don't really have the same fears online that I do in real life.

Probably it's because I know I can always just change my username and disappear for a while, and nobody will know or care who said what. In real life I can't do that, so I tend to remain silent on a lot of things to avoid any negative social repurcussions.

I used to talk to a lot of women online and it was the only way I could talk to them without stumbling and bumbling over myself like a total dork.

I don't talk to women online anymore, or even much at all now.

Abz2000
08-16-2011, 11:24 PM
of course you're going to be different, your audience is the whole world, people you know and don't know, your words will be read even though the situation at the time of writing is different to the time of the person reading, you have more of a chance to make thoughtful comments as you can stop and think for as long as you like, and you are more anonymous, you are not using body language to assist your speech, but rather your text will have to make do,
so i would tend to say - everyone's slightly different online

flowergarden
08-16-2011, 11:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by flowergarden
So now to strangers who e-mail me, of course I am not formative.
I sound kind of nonsense on this... I meant that when I get e-mails from strangers, being professors... I am more formative!

Hehehe sorry- I was up late writing that

aadil77
08-16-2011, 11:50 PM
I'm the same, except offline I don't have any contact with sisters or women I'm not mahram to

Ğħαrєєвαħ
08-17-2011, 12:00 AM
. . . . . . . . . . .

ardianto
08-17-2011, 03:13 PM
I was 41 when I joined in this forum, and soon in my first month I found many member here are 20's age people or teens, even a sister assumed I was a college boy. Honestly, I thought I was to old for this forum, and I began to thinking might be it's better if I pretend like a college boy.

But then I realized, it's better if I present in this forum as I am. So, I can tell stories about myself, something that too hard to do in the real life because I am an introvert person.

Who Am I?
08-18-2011, 08:31 PM
I was 41 when I joined in this forum, and soon in my first month I found many member here are 20's age people or teens, even a sister assumed I was a college boy. Honestly, I thought I was to old for this forum, and I began to thinking might be it's better if I pretend like a college boy.

But then I realized, it's better if I present in this forum as I am. So, I can tell stories about myself, something that too hard to do in the real life because I am an introvert person.
Yeah man, there are too many kids on this forum. ;D You kids just don't understand what it was like back then.

"Back in my day..."

GuestFellow
08-19-2011, 10:54 PM
Salaam,

On this forum, I find it easier to communicate my thoughts while in real life I prefer to keep my opinions to myself. I'm also very shy in real life. I can be random and say weird things online which would horrify my parents. My parents would probably send me off to Pakistan to get married after reading some of my posts LOL... ;D

Serendipity
08-23-2011, 12:38 PM
I probably am. I am not good at communitating sometimes outside of the internet.

Pure Purple
09-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Yes I am totally different than on online.Specially on Ib...Reason may be nobody knows me except my name
Usually I talk very much only at home.But not in public,or If I am surrounded by group of people.seriously I have a phobia in public speech..
I never used to participate in any event at school or college.Rarely participated.When I got late for lecture ,than i never enter into the class.Because now every body will have attention or they look towards me.I used to wait outside of class If someone,any of my classmate come late than only i enter into the class.
I really hate public speech or don't like if someone pays attention towards me..specially boys.
But at home and at IB i am totally opposite.

ardianto
09-10-2011, 03:23 PM
No..no..nobody...he..here...k..knows...I..I..I am...a...a...st..st...stutterer.

But I can speak well on the few people in a relaxed atmosphere. :)

joyous fairy
09-10-2011, 03:44 PM
I am the same usually :D

Same jolly person. But only with people I know. I am known for being a bit weird, quiet, random, happy, funny etc.. by different people. Im just different with people I know well and those I dont know well.

I suppose online I write about things I probably wouldnt talk about in real life because those kind of topics are not talked about often.
:statisfie

Haya emaan
09-10-2011, 03:50 PM
i dont actualy try to act differently but may be you would find me different offline.. thats just because while being on an open forum or place having both the genders and unknown people we (specially females) have to take much care of our behaviour and speech

Revert 2010
09-10-2011, 07:57 PM
Salaam,

The same online and offline a tad crazy,enjoy having a laugh and going off on a tangent :p

SFatima
09-10-2011, 08:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tragic Typos
Salaam,

On this forum, I find it easier to communicate my thoughts while in real life I prefer to keep my opinions to myself. I'm also very shy in real life. I can be random and say weird things online which would horrify my parents. My parents would probably send me off to Pakistan to get married after reading some of my posts LOL...
You make it sound like a dreadful thing; being sent to pakistan, why so ? :)

Marina-Aisha
11-04-2011, 09:00 PM
im a very shy person and private person i dont really like people known my personal business. also i find it hard to speak my mind in person cos i dont like confrontation. i feel more free to speak my mind online.

User29123
11-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Salaam,

On this forum, I find it easier to communicate my thoughts while in real life I prefer to keep my opinions to myself. I'm also very shy in real life. I can be random and say weird things online which would horrify my parents. My parents would probably send me off to Pakistan to get married after reading some of my posts LOL... ;D
haha, same with me..

SFatima
11-08-2011, 05:45 PM
hmm that means all the backbenchers and quietos of the class make it big online, real big!

oh gosh what am I doing here :skeleton:

well I'm not too different in real, but its a plus that you can edit whatever you write online, in real life, you have to be careful of what you speak. I would encourage people to develop communication skills though, it is not impossible to say what you write about so well, with effort and prayers one can get close to zakir nayek :D he was, is actually a stutterrer too in real life.

Huzzy_786
11-09-2011, 04:29 PM
I feel the same way as some of the posts above, Its much easier to share your opinions on here then in out side of the net.

'Abd Al-Maajid
11-12-2011, 04:34 PM
I am probably the same here as i am in real life. I don't talk much in real life or in the virtual world. :hmm:

syilla
12-30-2011, 02:43 AM
The difference of me between online and offline is...i can easily quote and refer to a some research or news/info when online since i tend to share some new things that i've stumbled into but when online i kind like be quite because my references are limited :hiding:. I'm still talkative i think but nowadays i tend to limit my talk to only that i want to and try my best to avoid negative people.

i'm very girlish eventhough someone said (i wish i can tag that person *sigh) that i'm a middle age woman :heated: ^o) which i began to laugh while start talking. and is not easy to do it if you're typing it doesn't comes naturally.

serena77
12-30-2011, 02:49 AM
my morals, values, the core of who i am.. are the same online and off... the only difference is i prefer online sometimes because i can edit what i would be saying before i say it. I have asperger's syndrome and I don't always have the best filter in person especially if i am passionate about something.
Serena

Cabdullahi
12-30-2011, 11:36 AM
im crazy here...not so crazy outside

GuestFellow
12-30-2011, 05:59 PM
I find it easier to debate someone online. So much easier to verbally thrash another member. :skeleton: In real life, I just shut up and listen to the other person rant.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
12-30-2011, 07:11 PM
As'Salaam Alaaykum

I just shut up and listen to the other person rant.
It is good to sometimes remain silent lest you speak a word of no benefit. Also best way is to show the other your listening, that way you have time to control yourself and reply with a patient and calm reply inshaa'Allaah..

However, I remind myself before I remind others ofcourse..

Haya emaan
12-30-2011, 07:50 PM
whether we are same online and offline or pretend to be different online, those who have met us online will never find us same if they see us offline... that's what i think because our body language is some thing that helps others to perceive our words in a way we want.. In meeting online we cant exchange our facial expressions etc (although we have some things like smilies and other marks but they are not always enough) and in online community these are only words through which we draw a personality sketch of each other..
Also the fact that every one is not perfect in expressing ones self is there..

Caller الداعي
12-30-2011, 08:01 PM
I think ppl are in most cases different in different environments depending on how comfortable they feel. A person may feel more comfortable and open on their own than with real company. The bigger the real audience the less open!

Beardo
12-30-2011, 08:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cbdullahii
im crazy here...not so crazy outside
Yeahh....right... :hiding:

I find it easier to debate someone online. So much easier to verbally thrash another member. :skeleton: In real life, I just shut up and listen to the other person rant.
LOL SAME HERE! Although, I've refrained from debating on here for the most part too. I think I tried a little in the beginning when I first came to the forum, but it caused so much drama, I was just like, "Ok, forget this..."

GuestFellow
12-30-2011, 08:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Beardo

LOL SAME HERE! Although, I've refrained from debating on here for the most part too. I think I tried a little in the beginning when I first came to the forum, but it caused so much drama, I was just like, "Ok, forget this..."
You must debate more! If someone comes and gets all emotional like, "bwaaa me no your fwend wa wa ba ba wa wa" just ignore it and continue to address main issues.

ardianto
12-31-2011, 02:29 AM
Are we different between online and offline?

Bro, sis, you can say "I am different in online and in offline", but what, and especially how, you 'talk' in this forum reflect your true character and personality.

:)

♥ Sofia ♥
12-31-2011, 02:25 PM
:salamext:

i wouldn't say there's too much of a difference between my online and offline self, but that's from my OWN perspective - i'm the one who knows what i'm trying to say and what's in my mind and that doesn't differ regardless of who or what i'm talking to. however, when i'm online - or even writing a letter - i find it much easier to compose my thoughts and make sense of them. i also don't get angry as easily because i'm able to emphasise my point well online or in written work and make sure all my reasonings are included. when i'm having a discussion face to face, i know what i want to say in my head, but everything gets jumbled up in the heat of the moment and i feel like a lot of valuable conversation time is wasted trying to sort my thoughts out and asking unnecessary questions - whereas online i'm able to write paragraphs without being interrupted and that puts me at ease.

as for my personality in general i don't think i'm too different whether i'm online or offline, but my friends say i come off much more mature over the internet/in written work than i actually am. i think that's purely due to the fact that the internet is the internet and you're communicating through computer pixels and it's hard to convey much emotion without using annoying emoticons after every 2 words. i also don't know most of the people i talk to online so unless i become comfortable with said people then i won't know how to crack jokes - yet irl i'm able to break the ice just like that with a newbie.

ardianto
12-31-2011, 04:45 PM
I find it easier to debate someone online.
If you win a debate in online forum, you will not get anything. If you lose in a debate in online forum, you will not lose anything.

Different than debate in the real life. In example, you share a room with your friend. And today you are in debate with him, who must clean up the room today. If you win, you can relax and enjoy your day. If you lose, you must clean up the room.

"Nothing to lose" feeling makes us easier to fight.

I just shut up and listen to the other person rant.
In online forum we are The Untouchable, no one can do anything to us, it makes us dare. But in real life? If we debate someone who is in anger, probably he will beat us. :D

By the way, I like online forum because I can discuss and tell my opinion here. It's very difficult to discuss in the real life. In the real life people like chatting, not discussion. :)

♥ Sofia ♥
12-31-2011, 05:45 PM
By the way, I like online forum because I can discuss and tell my opinion here. It's very difficult to discuss in the real life. In the real life people like chatting, not discussion.
that's true to an extent but i think that depends on your company and who you choose to hang around with. in general it's easier to make small talk etc and talk about daily happenings more freely but i find that there's certain people that can just provoke a really lengthy discussion at any given time. it might be the fact that i'm at secondary school atm and my environment promotes it (learning environment with only such an amount of time between classes), but we all thoroughly engage in discussion and like giving our opinions even during what was meant to be an innocent lighthearted conversation... which can call for trouble at times if i'm honest, lol. the fact that we're still in school also contributes to the nothing to win/lose point you mentioned... there's only so much we can do or say before we're disciplined lol and we're aware of that so we watch our mouths and take into account that discussions aren't meant to be taken too seriously, and then we're able to discuss freely once we implement that.

cOsMiCiNtUiTiOn
12-31-2011, 05:47 PM
Nope, I tend to be the same both online and offline. People find it easier to hind behind the screen and behave differently, not considering that people online are real and what is said and not said can and will affect them in one way or another. Everything that comes out of our mouths, and this includes typing, is a deed so it counts. :) Im not much of a debater, unless its really called for, and opinions really don't matter because everybody has one. I like to sit back, watch and contribute where I find it may be useful. That's really my attitude throughout.

-cOsMic

ardianto
01-01-2012, 09:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ♥ Sofia ♥
that's true to an extent but i think that depends on your company and who you choose to hang around with. in general it's easier to make small talk etc and talk about daily happenings more freely but i find that there's certain people that can just provoke a really lengthy discussion at any given time.
I often discuss in the real world, but discuss in the real world is different than discuss in online forums.

Who are my company and who I choose to hang around with?. I am not a youth, but 44 years old man, a father of two. Maybe you can imagine my daily life. :)

sis muslimah
01-03-2012, 12:44 AM
yup im different offline :D

Sothis Girl
01-28-2012, 10:22 AM
Online - perky, fun, playful, can be very calm.
I'm perky too offline, but I don't have many friends and rarely doing "friend to friend talk" to show off my crazy nerdy side.
Offline - I'm freaking moody, bookworm, not outgoing.

I guess I have an alter ego :hiding:

UmmuShaheed
02-01-2012, 04:39 PM
I guess I'm kind of the same, except I'm quieter online (maybe its cause I'm new)
Agreed with Sis Muslimahhh I too wonder how I'm going to get 300 posts
But offline I tend to be more blunt. (Or so I was told) ha

Periwinkle18
02-07-2012, 10:57 AM
lolz i guess im same online and offline :) at first when i joined Li i was scared of posting :P buh im fine now alhumdulillah i think i talk alot :P

ardianto
02-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Ardianto is not my real name. That's the only difference of me between online and offline. Everything that I have told about me and about my life is true. :)

GuestFellow
02-07-2012, 03:45 PM
Everything I told about myself is a big FAT lie. I'm actually an FBI agent working for the world government to establish a new world order. Muahahahahahahahhaha

Who Am I?
02-07-2012, 03:55 PM
And I am an alien, sent here to observe the habits of earthlings and report my findings to my alien overlords.

Only I haven't been able to contact the mother ship in quite some time...

It appears that they tricked me and left me here... :hmm:

~Zaria~
02-07-2012, 04:07 PM
I know for cetain that I am similiar both on and off-line from the following:

I used to be a frequent poster on another forum before joining IB, under a shortened form of my actual name.

It wasnt long before a work collegue called me out, saying that the way I write is very similiar to how I speak/ am in real life.....:hiding:

Since then, I have adopted the screen name 'Zaria'.

......safer this way :statisfie

jameelash
02-07-2012, 05:41 PM
salam,i don,t have 2 characters.

ardianto
02-08-2012, 10:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Who Am I?
And I am an alien, sent here to observe the habits of earthlings and report my findings to my alien overlords.

Only I haven't been able to contact the mother ship in quite some time...

It appears that they tricked me and left me here... :hmm:
We need to talk, Mister Alien. Meet me on city park in an hour. To recognize me, click the link below to see my photo.

http://static.rateyourmusic.com/albu...6a3/212910.jpg

Who Am I?
02-08-2012, 08:46 PM
We need to talk, Mister Alien. Meet me on city park in an hour. To recognize me, click the link below to see my photo.

http://static.rateyourmusic.com/albu...6a3/212910.jpg
My alien senses tell me that this may be a trap... :nervous:

Asiyah3
02-06-2016, 01:18 PM
This thread shocked and depresses me. How can people be so different online? Isn't this wrong if you do it consciously?.. Like a two-faced person.

strivingobserver98
02-06-2016, 01:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Asiyah3
This thread shocked and depresses me. How can people be so different online? Isn't this wrong if you do it consciously?.. Like a two-faced person.
Well some people are introverts. So they express their inner feelings online and not so much offline :o.

Some people are just shy offline.

Those are some reasons I can think of, for them being different..

BeTheChange
02-06-2016, 01:39 PM
Asalamualykum,

I don't consciously change myself.

Allah knows best!

Asiyah3
02-06-2016, 02:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by فرحان
Well some people are introverts. So they express their inner feelings online and not so much offline :o.

Some people are just shy offline.
They can express their inner feelings to people through writing on a computer but not by speaking? So why are they not shy offline if they aren't shy enough to state their opinions online? I'd understand that if they were saying something immoral, which isn't the case in an Islamic forum. I'm still not getting it.

strivingobserver98
02-06-2016, 02:17 PM
They can express their inner feelings to people through writing on a computer but not by speaking? So why are they not shy offline if they aren't shy enough to state their opinions online?
To get the best response... maybe someone introverted or shy who can express their feelings better online, can reply to this thread :).

I found this article coming from an introvert's perspective that can help shed some light :ia:.

But for me, it’s much easier to be outgoing online, than it is offline. I think that’s why I love social media so much.

For example, one of the things that I hate is being in a room full of people where I don’t know anyone. I find it extremely difficult to introduce myself to anyone and talk to them, because I assume they don’t know me and don’t want to know me. It’s a terribly awkward situation for me, and if you’re an introvert you can probably relate.

But if I am in a group of people I don’t know on Twitter, I have little problem striking up a conversation with them. The anxiety over having to in-person introduce myself is all but removed, and as a result, it’s much easier for me to engage with people.

Here’s another example of an awkward offline situation. What if you have just met someone and are talking to them. What do you do when you reach that point where the conversation has died, and you need to politely break it off? I hate that! But again, if I’m online, then I can leave and no one really knows. So again, that awkward feeling is removed.
http://mackcollier.com/why-introvert...-social-media/

azc
02-06-2016, 02:45 PM
I try to keep a balance though, but most of the time I find 'Me' a different person (in real life)

greenhill
02-06-2016, 03:09 PM
Well, on line and offline are two separate world's. Online is either a tool or an escape.

This forum is something different. It's passionate about the deen. It talks of deen. Mostly politely. Add to that the anonymous aspect. We are talking about the deen anonymously.

There's no one to impress and we don't get interrupted thus can say things truer to ourselves.

I think I am the same if we discussed the same topics whether on line or off. For sure more things could be said in the same time it would take for me to type.

:peace:

ardianto
02-06-2016, 03:18 PM
They can express their inner feelings to people through writing on a computer but not by speaking? So why are they not shy offline if they aren't shy enough to state their opinions online? I'd understand that if they were saying something immoral, which isn't the case in an Islamic forum. I'm still not getting it.
Inferiority complex makes someone afraid to express his feeling among people who know his identity because he is afraid then people would insult or look down on him. But forum gives him new identity that different than his identity in the real world. So he feel safe to express his inner feeling because no one know who he is in the real world.

Another cause that makes someone different online is subconscious desire to become "someone who he want to be". In example, someone is always left out in the association. But in his heart, he want to become popular guy. So when he is online he brag to get attention from the others and make him become popular.

sister herb
02-06-2016, 03:40 PM
I think I am quite same both online and offline. Maybe before I wasn´t but life experience has teached me to know myself better as well trust myself more than when I was younger.

noraina
05-17-2016, 01:44 PM
I believe I am similar enough - actually because a couple of people recognised who I was simply by my posts.

The only difference would be, that in real-life, it would take much longer for me to speak as frankly as this with people I don't know. I am generally a painfully reserved person, although yes when you get to know me then I don't shut up, lol.

However I think the anonymity of a forum means I can be myself more quickly than usual, alhamdulillah, I try to be as genuine as I possibly can iA..

Bhabha
05-17-2016, 04:04 PM
I am the same, equally voiced in both real life and online [emoji39]

_E_3
05-17-2016, 04:23 PM
i speak my mind more ...and i have found here am a lot more political and am more mindful than i normally
IN RL i hardly talk to people and panic a lot more

s.ali123
05-17-2016, 09:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noraina
I believe I am similar enough - actually because a couple of people recognised who I was simply by my posts.

The only difference would be, that in real-life, it would take much longer for me to speak as frankly as this with people I don't know. I am generally a painfully reserved person, although yes when you get to know me then I don't shut up, lol.

However I think the anonymity of a forum means I can be myself more quickly than usual, alhamdulillah, I try to be as genuine as I possibly can iA..
Lol that's exactly me [emoji28]

s.ali123
05-17-2016, 09:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bhabha
I am the same, equally voiced in both real life and online [emoji39]
Lol I have seen westerners to be more open in expressing their opinions :) I like this thing about them.
And another profile picture of dog :) . Nice pic BTW ;)

Hopes N Prayers
05-18-2016, 08:51 AM
Online: a little shy in the beginning, nice, friendly, helpful, and then maybe a bit talkative I guess[emoji848]

Offline: crazy, bubbly, talkative, funny, annoying and random [emoji23]

So I guess I am different online a lot more quite than my usual self[emoji1]
Let's be friends[emoji4]

greenhill
05-18-2016, 09:05 AM
I don't think by much.

It is easier to talk. Much faster. Less effort. But we can get interrupted.

Typing, takes too long and I forget my points half the time.

If I feel too lazy to type I don't respond to posts, especially when it is difficult to put those thoughts in writing.

No, I am not a different person on and off. The same values and considerations still guides my action..

:peace:

Kiro
05-18-2016, 11:42 AM
I try to be the same but you will notice I'm more quite.

Arfa
05-29-2016, 08:34 AM
:)well I guess offline I tend to be introverted and not joining group discussions unless I really am friends with a person afterwards I might become very talkative.Online goes same as I don't see any changes regarding my interactions as such so yes it's mostly same.

anatolian
05-29-2016, 09:44 AM
As Rumi says "Either seem as you are, or be as you seem" :)

Scimitar
05-29-2016, 11:17 AM
Out of the internet and into reality, dropped like a bomb that went all scattery, charged like a battery i'm off the wall. One minute i'm talking, another i'm running for masjid call.

Stop by the bakery, grab a loaf of bread. Fold my amama rag neatly under my head. Family at home waiting to be fed. Phone start ring off, face go red, papa saying "where you at? momma going bed".

Like is stressful enough, without all the nonsense and bluff, so keep ya head up and and eyes down at your kuffs.

Scimi

Insignificant
05-29-2016, 11:29 AM
why, yes of course! You can't see my face...

Scimitar
05-29-2016, 11:47 AM
mind the low hanging sign :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!