/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Arabic Phrase

BrotherGia
09-21-2010, 11:51 AM
:sl:
Sometimes and some people speak to me with Arabic phrase . Like hayyakallah, barakallahu, etc. But to be honest, I do not how what it means, and I don't know how to answer it. And the thing that I can do is smiling. But, it is really embarrassing me :embarrass.
So, could someone list the Arabic or Islamic phrase like I mentioned above with the meaning and how to answer it?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Huma*
09-21-2010, 02:40 PM
Assalamalaykum,

hope this will help..

Hello - Salam!

Hello - Ahlan wa Sahlan (to one person) / Ahlan wa Sahlan bekum (several people)

Hi - Ahlan (informal, one person)/ Ahlan bekum (informal, several people)

Hello (in response) - Ahlan beek (m.) / Ahlan beeke (f.)

Welcome - Marhaban

Peace be upon you - As-salaamu Alaikum

And on you be peace - Wa `Alaykum As-Salām

Good Morning - Sabah el Khayr

Good Morning to you too - Sabah in Noor

Good Afternoon - Misa’ il Kheer / Nahar ukum Sareed

Good Afternoon to you too - Misa’ in Noor

Good Evening - Masaa el Khayr

Good Evening to you too - Masa in Noor

Goodnight - Leilatak Sareeda

How are you? - Kheifa haluka? (m.) / Kheifa haluki? (f.)

I am fine - Ana bekhair

I am very well - Taman, bekhair

Thank you - Shukran / Mashkour

I thank you - Ashkurak (m.) / Askkurach (f.)

And you - Wa ant? (m.) / Wa anti? (f.)

Who are you? - Meen enta? (m.) / Meen enti? (f.)

What is your name? - Shinhu ismek? (m.) / Shinhu ismech? (f.)

Mr - Assaiyyad

Mrs. - Assaiyyida

Miss - Al-aniseh

May I introduce myself - Tismahli agaddem nafsi

My name is XYZ - Ismi XYZ

This is Mr... - Isma holi anokhat dimalakum assaiyyad...

This is Mrs... - Isma holi anokhat dimalakum assaiyyida...

I am a high school/college student - Ana taalibun (m.) / Ana taalibatun (f.)

I am from the University of XYZ - Ana min jaami'ati XYZ.

Where are you from? - Min ayna anta? (m.) / Min ayna anti? (f.)

Which country are you from? - Inti min ayy balad?

I am from XYZ - Ana min XYZ.

I am from XYZ city - Ana min madiinati XYZ.

I do not speak Arabic very well - May tekallam arabi zain.

Excuse me, do you speak English? - Men fathlek tatakalam Inglesi? (m.) / Men fathleki tatakalam Inglesi? (f.)

Yes - Na'am.

No, sorry - Laa, aasif.

I did not understand - Ma fahamt.

Can you understand me? - Tifham ley? (m.) / Tifhmeen ley? (f.)

What did you say? - Mahda kolt?

Nice to meet you - Tasharrafna.

See you later - Araka fi ma ba'd. (m.) / Araki fi ma ba'd . (f.)

Good bye - Ma’a salama.

Good night - Tosbeho ‘ala khair (m.) / Tosbeheena ‘ala khair (f.)

Read more: http://www.brighthub.com/education/l...#ixzz10Ao49IJd

BrotherGia
09-21-2010, 03:41 PM
Thank you so much sist! It really helps me :D.
But one thing: what does 'hayyakallah' mean? How to respone it? And when do we say that?

Cabdullahi
09-21-2010, 03:51 PM
'ya ahbal'

if you hear anything like that reply:

'shukran jazeelan'

im just kidding man

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
BintAbee
09-21-2010, 06:39 PM
:wa:

Bro, i might be wrong... but I think Hayyaakallah means May Allah prolong your life, I'm not sure how you reply to this.. perhaps you could say the same :><:

And generally people say barakallah feek. You can reply by saying wa feeka (feeki) baarakallah. Basically means may Allah bless you.

Hope some of our Arab members can confirm...

marwen
09-21-2010, 11:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by BrotherGia
But one thing: what does 'hayyakallah' mean?
Hayyak Allah (Tahiyah = greeting) means : May Allah greet you.
format_quote Originally Posted by BintAbee
but I think Hayyaakallah means May Allah prolong your life
that could be "Ahyaka Allah"=prolong your life, not "hayyaka Allah", am I right?

Huma*
09-22-2010, 01:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by BrotherGia
what does 'hayyakallah' mean? How to respone it? And when do we say that?
Assalamalaykum,

"Hayyak Allah" mean (Allah maintain your life) its is usually said, while greeting someone. It can be reply by saying "Allah Ye-hay-yeek!" الله يحييك

Here are some useful Islamic phrases:

Say "Assalamu Alaikum" (peace be on you) when meeting a Muslim.

Say "Wa'alaikum Assalam" (peace be on you too) in reply.

Say "Insha Allah" (if Allah wills) when hoping to do something.

Say "Subhan Allah" (glory to Allah) when praising something.

Say "Ma'sha Allah" (what Allah likes) in appreciation.

Say "Fi Aman Allah" (in protection of Allah) when seeing someone off.

Say "Jazak Allah Khairan" (may Allah give you the best reward) to thank someone.

Say "Tawakkal-tu-Allah" (rely on Allah) to solve a problem.

Say "Tawkkalna-Alai-Allah" (we have put our trust in Allah) when you wait for a problem to be solved.

Say "La Ilaha Ill-Allah" (there is no god but Allah) when getting up in the morning.

Say "Al-Hamdu Lillah" (praise be to Allah) when you sneeze.

Say "Yarhamuk Allah" (may Allah bless you) when you hear someone sneeze.

Say "Aameen" (accept our prayer) when joining a duaa.

Say "Ya Allah" (O Allah) when in pain or distress.

Say "Rahmah Allah" (Allah have Mercy on him) when you see someone in distress.

Say "Astagh-firu-Allah" (O Allah forgive me) to be sorry for a bad action.

Say "Na'uzhu-bi-Allah" (when we seek refuge in Allah) to show your dislike.

Say "Inna Lillah" (we are for Allah) when you hear about the death of a Muslim.

Say "Fe Sabeel Allah" (in/for Allah's cause/way) when you give charity/help people.

Say "Atqaa Allah" (fear Allah) when you see someone doing a bad deed.

Say "Allahu Yahdika" (may Allah guide you) to forbid sombody to do something indecent.

Say "Hayyak Allah" (Allah maintain your life) when you greet someone.

Say "Allah Aalam" (Allah knows best) when you say something you are not sure of.

Say "Tabarak Allah" (blessed be Allah) when you hear a good news.

Say "Hasbi Allah" (Allah will suffice me) when you are in a difficult situation.

Say "Azhak Allah Sinnaka" (May Allah keep you cheerful) when you seek another Muslim with cheerful countenance.

- Ref: Dictionary of Religious Terms by Dr. Abdullah Abu Eshy & Dr. Abdullah Latif. (Faculty of Arabic and Social Sciences; Islamic University of Imam Mohammad Ibn Saud)

BrotherGia
09-27-2010, 10:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Huma*
Assalamalaykum, "Hayyak Allah" mean (Allah maintain your life) its is usually said, while greeting someone. It can be reply by saying "Allah Ye-hay-yeek!" الله يحييك Here are some useful Islamic phrases: Say "Assalamu Alaikum" (peace be on you) when meeting a Muslim. Say "Wa'alaikum Assalam" (peace be on you too) in reply. Say "Insha Allah" (if Allah wills) when hoping to do something. Say "Subhan Allah" (glory to Allah) when praising something. Say "Ma'sha Allah" (what Allah likes) in appreciation. Say "Fi Aman Allah" (in protection of Allah) when seeing someone off. Say "Jazak Allah Khairan" (may Allah give you the best reward) to thank someone. Say "Tawakkal-tu-Allah" (rely on Allah) to solve a problem. Say "Tawkkalna-Alai-Allah" (we have put our trust in Allah) when you wait for a problem to be solved. Say "La Ilaha Ill-Allah" (there is no god but Allah) when getting up in the morning. Say "Al-Hamdu Lillah" (praise be to Allah) when you sneeze. Say "Yarhamuk Allah" (may Allah bless you) when you hear someone sneeze. Say "Aameen" (accept our prayer) when joining a duaa. Say "Ya Allah" (O Allah) when in pain or distress. Say "Rahmah Allah" (Allah have Mercy on him) when you see someone in distress. Say "Astagh-firu-Allah" (O Allah forgive me) to be sorry for a bad action. Say "Na'uzhu-bi-Allah" (when we seek refuge in Allah) to show your dislike. Say "Inna Lillah" (we are for Allah) when you hear about the death of a Muslim. Say "Fe Sabeel Allah" (in/for Allah's cause/way) when you give charity/help people. Say "Atqaa Allah" (fear Allah) when you see someone doing a bad deed. Say "Allahu Yahdika" (may Allah guide you) to forbid sombody to do something indecent. Say "Hayyak Allah" (Allah maintain your life) when you greet someone. Say "Allah Aalam" (Allah knows best) when you say something you are not sure of. Say "Tabarak Allah" (blessed be Allah) when you hear a good news. Say "Hasbi Allah" (Allah will suffice me) when you are in a difficult situation. Say "Azhak Allah Sinnaka" (May Allah keep you cheerful) when you seek another Muslim with cheerful countenance. - Ref: Dictionary of Religious Terms by Dr. Abdullah Abu Eshy & Dr. Abdullah Latif. (Faculty of Arabic and Social Sciences; Islamic University of Imam Mohammad Ibn Saud)
MashaAllah, thank you so much sist! I think this is what I want ;D. Well, thank you for yo all who has given the comments. May Allah rewards you all :D

'Abd Al-Maajid
10-15-2010, 02:48 PM
How do you say 'I love* my mother.' in Arabic and please provide the transcript too...

marwen
10-16-2010, 01:07 AM
^ Do you mean : "I love my mother." ?

I love my mother = أحب أمي = 'ohibbu ummi'

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!