/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why did God give us free will?

Darth Ultor
09-21-2010, 08:28 PM
We were created to worship God, but why did He give such creatures free will? I'm not saying all people are evil but a lot are doing horrible things like war, opression, taking advantage of others, doing whatever it takes get more money, ruining the environment, self harm, and many times, turning away from God. You even have people venerating and worshipping the Devil. Louis Armstrong put it very well: "It's not the world that's ugly, it's what we're doing to the world that's ugly." So why do you think God gave such potentially dangeroud beings free will? Why not create us to be like animals acting on instinct or angels who have no free will?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Yanal
09-21-2010, 11:02 PM
:sl:

Think of it as this "Power is neither good or bad,rather it is within the user of the power which determines its good or bad" likewise Allaah wishes upon his to follow him to see who acts upon Him and who doen't which will eventually determine who is a true believer and who isn't.

Zafran
09-22-2010, 04:48 AM
Salaam

we're given choices in specifc circumstances (i dont like using free will) so that when it comes to the last day we wont have anything to complain about as God has clearly warned us if we follow the dark path where it leads and if we follow the path of light where it leads. All the circumstances in this world are a test for us Humans.

peace

FS123
09-24-2010, 07:57 AM
Islam has a very broad meaning of worship. Everything a person does, if it is inline of the will of God, is worshiping God; God doesn't expect us to pray contact prayers 24/7. Second, I don't think there is a question of freewill, in the eyes of God a human can be higher than an angel because of freewill and we humans do enjoy our freewill.

Lastly, what other way there would be? To do as we please? Even in secular system a person can't entirely do as they please -- there is goal in life, otherwise, a person would be a loser. Similarly in Islam there is goal in life, but with bigger picture and bigger goal.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
aamirsaab
09-24-2010, 02:45 PM
Free will is a tool, much like your hands. Your hands can create things, and they can also be used to crush things. This is the same with all tools - you have the good and the bad, just got to learn how to use it.

tango92
09-24-2010, 08:28 PM
Salaam.

your question is not dissimilar to the question posed by the angels to Allah swt.

quran 2:30 Behold, thy Lord said to the angels: "I will create a vicegerent on earth." They said: "Wilt Thou place therein one who will make mischief therein and shed blood?- whilst we do celebrate Thy praises and glorify Thy holy (name)?" He said: "I know what ye know not."

I think the reply of Allah swt is more succint than any human could put it...

Ummu Sufyaan
09-26-2010, 02:46 AM
So why do you think God gave such potentially dangeroud beings free will? Why not create us to be like animals acting on instinct or angels who have no free will?
it's been proven that free will isn't always dangerous though. what about free will that can be used to give charity or help the weak and oppressed. there are people who work towards cures for cancer or set up foundations to help people with disabilities...and the list goes on.

and if we were created like animals or angels, what's the use in that? how are we supposed to know that we have earned paradise (or hell). what is gods evidence to us that we have earned either?

Darth Ultor
09-26-2010, 10:51 AM
You're right, Ummu, there are many people who use that free will for good. I'll go out on a limb and say what I think. I think we have free will because God wants to reward us for our good deeds and faith.

FS123
09-27-2010, 12:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Boaz
You're right, Ummu, there are many people who use that free will for good. I'll go out on a limb and say what I think. I think we have free will because God wants to reward us for our good deeds and faith.
:sl:

:statisfie

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!