/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Dua

Amoeba
09-23-2010, 07:39 AM
Will my dua be accepted if I'm menstruating?
Do I have to fulfil the other prerequisites for prayer to make dua, e.g. abolition, hijab, etc?
Do I have to say anything in particular, particular phrases, for it to be accepted?

I have had mixed advice on this to the point where I have only ever made dua once and I could feel that it wasn't being accepted because there was a heavy sinking feeling as I was doing it as if I was talking to a brick wall (I had not been menstruating, I had made abolition and I had worn hijab).

Some say "you have to say this big long phrase and that big long phrase and it must be in Arabic and you must do these hand actions blah blah" others say "Just say Allah's name and ask of Him what you need blah blah". I need something CONCRETE so I know EXACTLY what to do.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Tyrion
09-23-2010, 09:57 AM
From my understanding, there really aren't any prerequisites for making dua. You can ask for whatever, wherever, and in whatever language you feel most comfortable in...

Amoeba
09-23-2010, 10:08 AM
Thanks, I appreciate your response. But what I really need is a definite answer from someone who is 100% sure.

Ummu Sufyaan
09-23-2010, 10:18 AM
:sl:
It is permissible for a menstruating woman to remember Allaah by reciting whatever du’aa’s and dhikrs she wants; there is no reason why she should not do that.
Source

I have had mixed advice on this to the point where I have only ever made dua once and I could feel that it wasn't being accepted because there was a heavy sinking feeling as I was doing it as if I was talking to a brick wall (I had not been menstruating, I had made abolition and I had worn hijab).
no ukhtee, dont think like that. you must always be confident that Allah is listening to your dua. always have that faith.

Some other links that may contain answers to your questions:
Ruling on making du’aa’ in languages other than Arabic in the prayer
Why doesnt Allaah answer our duaas?
The Secret in Having Your Supplication Answered

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Amoeba
09-23-2010, 10:34 AM
Thanks for those links they really helped me to realise I had absolutely no idea what dua is! Lol!

So what do you call it when you are just using your own words and not a dua?

Amoeba
09-23-2010, 10:36 AM
Also when I try to repent I always sound like a snotty prick. I don't mean to, I'm just not good with my words especially when I get emotional I start to sound cold and callous.

Alpha Dude
09-23-2010, 10:38 AM
:sl:

Will my dua be accepted if I'm menstruating?
Yes, InshaAllah (If Allah wills).

Do I have to fulfil the other prerequisites for prayer to make dua, e.g. abolition, hijab, etc?
No.

Do I have to say anything in particular, particular phrases, for it to be accepted?
No.

In its minimal form you can simply say (for example) 'Oh Allah help me with xyz, ameen' and it would be considered a valid dua. You do not need to be in a state of ritual purity either.

Note 1: There are circumstances and times wherein out of the mercy of Allah, dua has a higher chance of acceptance. Here are some off the top of my head (there are others):
If someone is being oppressed.
At the time of rainfall
When one is sick
When dua is made in the last third of the night
During ramadan (lookout for the night of Laylatul Qadr especially)
At the time of breaking fast
When drinking the Zam Zam water
On the day of Arafah whilst in the plains of Arafah
The dua a parent makes for his children
The dua of a person makes for his brother (in religion) without the latter's knowledge
Note 2: Whilst dua is valid in it's simplest form as described above and in addition to the above mentioned times/circumstance of acceptance, it would be better if you did the following also, to increase the chances of dua being accepted:
Be in a state of ritual purity (make ablution)
Face toward the Qibla
Don the hijab
Raise your hands to the shoulder with palms facing up
Glorify and praise Allah
Send blessings on the final Prophet of Allah, Muhammad Sallalahu Alaihe Wasalam (peace be upon him) thrice before and after the entire dua.
Try to cry out of sincerity
Be humble
Prostrate (sujood) and beg for what you want
Repent for your sins prior to asking for something
Again, there's more that can be done and inshaAllah others will advise.

The best dua is the one that comes from the heart.

Note 3: A dua will:
i. be accepted in this world and you'll be given what you ask for or -
ii. Allah will not immediately give you what you ask for (due to the wisdom of Allah, he knows that it may not be in your ultimate physical or spirutual benefit) but will remove a harm that would have otherwise befallen you had you not made such a dua or -
iii. the reward of what you ask will be given to you in paradise.
Be patient and persevere. Allah likes it when his servants show humility and show him their dependence upon him.

Alpha Dude
09-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Thanks for those links they really helped me to realise I had absolutely no idea what dua is! Lol!
You do know what dua is, you were right in what you thought prior.

I think you've just been confused by the first link sister Ummu Sufyan posted. That page is referring to the 'dua' that is made during salah/ritual prayer (the 5 times daily prayer).

So what do you call it when you are just using your own words and not a dua?
It's dua. :)

Ummu Sufyaan
09-24-2010, 03:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bedouin
You do know what dua is, you were right in what you thought prior.

I think you've just been confused by the first link sister Ummu Sufyan posted. That page is referring to the 'dua' that is made during salah/ritual prayer (the 5 times daily prayer).
It's dua. :)
I just posted it because of this quote:
It is permissible to make du’aa’ in Arabic and in languages other than Arabic. Allaah knows the intention of the supplicant and what he wants, no matter what language he speaks, because He hears all the voices in all different languages, asking for all kinds of needs.
though the question is asking about dua in salaah, i thought that quote was applicable at all other times as well.

though i can see why it would be confusing :hmm: i think its best i edit that link out as to not cause further confusion :hmm:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!