/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else here feel nauseous during prayer?

Amoeba
10-01-2010, 12:46 PM
I mean salah or salat or whatever it's called, I see two spellings and don't know which is correct.

I haven't got the hang of it yet. When I'm in congregation I'm fine with it though I don't think it's accepted because I have a tough time memorizing lines, so I can't remember what to say. But when I'm trying to do it at home I'll take a little longer than usual because I'll be looking at a book every so often (again I don't expect it to be accepted because I'm making mistakes and have to pick up a book every so often). Anyway when doing it alone at home I feel nauseous, and I get a slight headache that lasts for a while after I'm finished giving prayer.

I was wondering if this is normal and this is supposed to happen?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
PouringRain
10-01-2010, 07:19 PM
I am curious if you are aware of what point you are becoming nauseous? When I read your post I wondered if it is a blood pressure thing. Perhaps when you are kneeling/sitting with your legs folded under you for a period, and since at home you say it takes longer, so you may be down there longer, then when you stand up it may be causing a sudden drop in your blood pressure. A form of neurally mediated hypotension. If this is the problem, and it is not occurring when you are praying faster/ shorter time period, then I would suggest asking the members here to explain how you can pray seated or in another way. I am no expert on that, but I have read that a person is permitted to alter how they pray if necessary for medical reasons. It may be something you should look into. I hope some of this helps!

Yanal
10-02-2010, 03:11 AM
:sl:

I recall that this something similar occured to me once, a few years ago(the only difference is that I fainted). I was sitting down for a Khutbaah,when it was time for Salaah,everyone got up(including me) and I was dazed. My head was spinning,eyes flashing open and close,feeling drowsy. I was fine for 10 seconds into the prayer,after that I collapsed...It was because it was hectic inside,and I had low blood pressure..Perhaps you should ask a doctor.

Amoeba
10-02-2010, 07:25 AM
Well I didn't think it was serious enough to ask a doctor, though if it could be a blood pressure thing I might go ask about it.

It feels more like a psychosomatic thing, out of being nervous. When I get nervous it can sometimes be followed by nausea and stomach aches, or headaches.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
tango92
10-02-2010, 07:53 AM
try praying sitting down on a chair, or just sitting on the floor. if it helps then you know where the problem lies....

Snowflake
10-02-2010, 09:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amoeba
Well I didn't think it was serious enough to ask a doctor, though if it could be a blood pressure thing I might go ask about it.

It feels more like a psychosomatic thing, out of being nervous. When I get nervous it can sometimes be followed by nausea and stomach aches, or headaches.
I'm thinking the same thing. Also make sure you're not really hungry when to go to pray. That could also make you feel nauseous. The other thing is when you pray in congregation, there are certain rules which need to be followed. For instance, when not to recite but only listen to imam and follow the actions etc. Hopefully, bro Hamza will have some helpful articles on this issue inshaAllah.

try praying sitting down on a chair, or just sitting on the floor. if it helps then you know where the problem lies....
must say that's a good idea.. try that inshaAllah..

abdussattar
10-02-2010, 09:43 AM
Do you feel like that only during sijdah or all the time?

Amoeba
10-02-2010, 10:03 AM
It's usually just before, during and after the whole prayer. Like a feeling of nervous anticipation.

abdussattar
10-02-2010, 10:08 AM
Hmm try sitting like you sit in prayer whithout actually doing the prayer, (such as sitting on your legs as you sit during prayer, and then getting up, outside the prayer)

Alpha Dude
10-02-2010, 10:37 AM
As long as you're in a state of learning and sincerely trying, even if you make mistakes, you will be rewarded inshaAllah.

Hamza Asadullah
10-04-2010, 12:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amoeba
I mean salah or salat or whatever it's called, I see two spellings and don't know which is correct.

I haven't got the hang of it yet. When I'm in congregation I'm fine with it though I don't think it's accepted because I have a tough time memorizing lines, so I can't remember what to say. But when I'm trying to do it at home I'll take a little longer than usual because I'll be looking at a book every so often (again I don't expect it to be accepted because I'm making mistakes and have to pick up a book every so often). Anyway when doing it alone at home I feel nauseous, and I get a slight headache that lasts for a while after I'm finished giving prayer.

I was wondering if this is normal and this is supposed to happen?
Asalaamu Alaikum, take things easy and do not over do things. Allah only wants you to do what is in your capacity so take things slow. It is clear that you are causing yourself stress and that is why you are feeling this way. Take time out to learn the Salaah properly and keep practising it for practise makes perfect. So keep at it and know you will eventually get there inshallah.

In regards to whether it is Salaah or Salaat:

In the Arabic language when the sentence stops, there are cases where a word ending with 't' sound becomes 'h' sound.

For example,

Salaat at the middle of a sentence : As salatu khairun minan naum.
Salaat at the end of a sentence: Hiya 'Alas salah.

Middle ------------------ End
Salat---------------------Salah
Zakat--------------------Zakah
Shariat----------------Shariah
Ekamat--------------Ekamah
Zannat----------------Zannah

Both are correct in their appropriate places.

In regards to Jamaat(congregation) then know that it is in fact very easy. Even more so than praying alone.

Firstly you make intention in your heart that you are going to pray this Salaah for the pleasure of Allah. Secondly when the Imam does Takbeer tahreem which is the first takbeer where he says 'Allahu Akbar' then you also say it with him raising your hands touching the top of your thumb on the bottom of your ear lobes.

Then you recite: 'Subhanakallahumma' until 'A'udhobillahi minashaythanirajeem Bismillahirahmaniraheem'. Then keep silent and let the Imam do the rest. You only recite this at the beginning of the first rakah and not again after the first rakah.

When the imaam says Allahu akbar and goes down then repeat the same and go down with him. Just follow what he does. When going down to Ruku say 'Subhaanarabiyal Adheem' 3 times and then when going up say with the imaam 'Sami Allah huliman hamida rabbaana lakal hamd' and then go down to sajdah with the imaam and in the sajdah(prostration) you say the 'Subhaanarabiyal A'ala' 3 times.

For the second rakah when you are standing with your hands folded you don't have to recite anything at all for the imaam is reciting for you and for all those who are in the congregation.

Then when you go down after the second sajdah (prostration) of the second rakah you stay kneeled on the floor with the imaan and recite 'Athahiyaathu lillahi' upto 'Ash hadu allah' when you raise your finger. If you are praying Fajr then you continue and finish it with the durood and the dua after the durood but if you are praying the othr prayers with the imaam which have more rakah's then you get up with the imaam and do exactly the same with the rest of the prayer.

Towards the end of the Salaah when you stay kneeled you recite the same 'Athahiyathu' and continue until after the durood and the dua after the durood and then say salaam with the imaam.

You will get used to it do not despair. It will take time and practise but Allah understands and knows you are making effort. He will reward for your efforts inshallah so do not think that he won't. He is most understanding and generous and wants you to be closer to him and that is why he has given you an inclination to fulfill your obligatory prayers.

Take things a day at a time and take things slowly and gradually build up. Do not worry if you forget or make mistakes for we all make mistakes even those who have been praying for years. Allah knows you are trying and he never wants to burden anyone beyond their capacity. You will get there eventually inshallah and you have our support to so please continue to ask us if you have any questions or need any help at all.

Here is a very beneficial Islamic E book which i would like you to read which is for beginners and tells you how to pray with English transliteration and also tells you of how to do proper Wudhu, ghusl etc as well as of the basics of Islam and much more. It is a very easy read and a brilliant book to start off with:

http://www.islamicbulletin.org/free_...m_children.pdf

If you have any questions or help that you are wanting with anything at all then please do not hesitate to ask. Please remember me in your dua's.

selsebil
01-17-2011, 04:00 PM
Assalaam Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh,
I recommend to take the advice of your doctor.Also read only short surahs.

Rukh
09-27-2016, 11:30 PM
Salaam I realise this thread is old but I also get headaches usually across the left side of my head moving towards the back of my head. However I get the headache when ever I hear the qu'raan recited. That could be in Jamaat or at home. In the car, where ever. It gets so bad within a few minutes that I begin to feel sleepy. As soon as the recitation stops I too cease to feel any pain and I'm wide awake again.
I've left my daily salaat for over 1 year and I now miss my prayers and previous devoted life to which I'd like to return too. Hence my message, I am at a loose limb, if anyone has advise I would greatly appreciate it.

darkbro
09-29-2016, 09:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rukh
Salaam I realise this thread is old but I also get headaches usually across the left side of my head moving towards the back of my head. However I get the headache when ever I hear the qu'raan recited. That could be in Jamaat or at home. In the car, where ever. It gets so bad within a few minutes that I begin to feel sleepy. As soon as the recitation stops I too cease to feel any pain and I'm wide awake again.
I've left my daily salaat for over 1 year and I now miss my prayers and previous devoted life to which I'd like to return too. Hence my message, I am at a loose limb, if anyone has advise I would greatly appreciate it.
I'm sure it's jinn.

Perform a ruqyah, the simplest could be reciting ayat kursi (reciting, not reading) and al falaq and an nas while placing your hand on the left side of your head.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned this.. so soft sciences arent that famous in the west..

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!