/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A couple of Questions

Ummu Sufyaan
10-03-2010, 03:35 AM
:sl:
First one is about necessity..

Consider this excerpt
2. Patience in abstaining from eating harâm meat, carrion and blood, when the alternative is death and starvation. Tawus and Ahmad ibn Hanbal said, “Whoever has no choice but to eat carrion, harâm meat and blood, but refuses to eat it and dies as a consequence, will enter Hell.”
from this post: http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...ml#post1308253

does that mean it's a sin/impermissible to not take the concessions Allah has permitted (even if they aren't life threatening)? for example remaining standing in prayer even though you have a valid excuse to sit down? is it actually a sin if you don't implement what you are permitted when you have the excuse to?

--------------------

also what is the Islamic ruling on Seeking medical help?
this is matter that has me confused. Is seeking medial assistance permissible? i know its permissible, but this hadith
'Atta Bin Rabaah reported that ibn 'Abbaas (ra) told him,
"Do you want to see a woman from the people of Jannah (paradise)?" He said "Yes". He said "It is this black woman. She came to the Prophet (saws) saying, "I have (epileptic) seizures, and I get exposed, so supplicate to Allah for me." He (saws) said:
"If you wish, be patient and you will attain Jannah; or if you wish, I will ask Allah to cure you"
She replied, "I will be patient! But my body gets exposed (because of the fall), so supplicate to Allah for me that I do not become exposed." and he (saws) did." [Bukharee and Muslim]
is it preferred to be patient with an illness and not seek help? is there more virtue? if your condition is life threatening, is it sinful to not seek medical help?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muhaba
10-04-2010, 03:06 PM
I don't know about that hadith or what it could mean, but it's not alright to forego medical treatment especially in life-threatening situations. If the disease is life-threatening, it's necessary to get treatment.

There are some hadith about epilepsy that state that the person who dies from it will go to Jannah. I think that is a reassurement because a lot of times the epileptic dies in conditions that seem like suicide, like the seizures might make a patient bang his back against the ground or jump into water (that's what I've heard). So I guess such hadith reassure us that epilepsy is a disease and the patient, if he dies from it, hasn't killed himself.

aamirsaab
10-04-2010, 03:28 PM
:Sl:
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan

Consider this excerpt

does that mean it's a sin/impermissible to not take the concessions Allah has permitted (even if they aren't life threatening)? for example remaining standing in prayer even though you have a valid excuse to sit down? is it actually a sin if you don't implement what you are permitted when you have the excuse to?
The hadith is referring to halal and haram meat dilemmas only.

this is matter that has me confused. Is seeking medial assistance permissible? i know its permissible, but this hadith

is it preferred to be patient with an illness and not seek help? is there more virtue? if your condition is life threatening, is it sinful to not seek medical help?
There's this saying I've read a couple of times that nails these kinds of questions right on the head:

"Have faith in Allah, but don't forget to tie the camel."

Which basically means there is nothing wrong in using medicine or seeking medical help. They aren't replacements for prayer so you should do both.

Snowflake
10-04-2010, 04:09 PM
[QUOTE]
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan

Consider this excerpt

Asslamu alaykum,

I found this in the link you posted.

1. Patience in abstaining from food and drink until death.

2. Patience in abstaining from eating harâm meat, carrion and blood, when the alternative is death and starvation. Tawus and Ahmad ibn Hanbal said, “Whoever has no choice but to eat carrion, harâm meat and blood, but refuses to eat it and dies as a consequence, will enter Hell.”
So that means we should eat it. I heard a scholar explain that if we don't we are being ungrateful to Allah for the mercy He has shown through making a particular concession for us.

--------------------

As for seeking cure for an illness, Abu Dawood; Sahih Bukhari Abu ad-Darda reported that the Prophet said: "Allah has sent down both the malady and its remedy.. For every disease He has created a cure. So seek medical treatment, but never with something the use of which Allah has prohibited."

But it is prohibited to cure a disease by using things that are haram.

Umm Salamah, the wife of the Prophet reports that he once said: "Allah has not placed a cure for your diseases in things that He has forbidden for you." (Reported by Baihaqi; Ibn Hibban considers this hadith to be sound. Bukhari has also related it on the authority of Ibn Mas'ud.)

:wa:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!