/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Psychiatric problems in islam and medication

Ibrahim_K
10-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Asalamu aleykum

Since I turned 18 I have been in contact with the psychiatry. I'm diagnosed with a schizoid and borderline-psychotic personality disorder which shows with blunt affects and instability in my mood and brief psychotic periods. I really don't like other people and I prefer to be alone reading and listening to music. I'm comfortable with being alone although it can make it hard for people to accept my life choises since I don't commynicate my religious beliefs.

I have taken the shahada and everyone knows that I don't eat pork but I haven't told them that I want to take the shahada at the masjid and become a devoted muslim. I'm at a treatment home and they don't know anything about my thoughts and I'm afraifd they will send me to the psyvhiatric emergency ward if I tell them...

Should I openly proclaim my devotion to islam ir just keep it to myself? This is a tricky question I reckon but I hope you brothers and sisters can give me so me advice.

/Azrael

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
M.I.A.
10-03-2010, 03:37 PM
what do you not like about other people?
congrats, i hope you find strength and guidance to make it through your hard times.

talk to them about islam in general, see how receptive they are and what there views on islam are before you make a decision.

Muhammad
10-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Wa Alaykum Assalaam brother Azrael,

Congratulations on becoming a Muslim - All praise is for Allaah (swt) for guiding you to the truth! :)

Even if you haven't declared your shahadah at a Masjid, you are still considered a Muslim because you have firmly believed in the shahadah in your heart and uttered it on your tongue. This is the main thing that is necessary to become a Muslim (see here for more info).

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you are going through. Remember that everyone is tested in this life and people are tested in different ways. But through these tests Allaah (swt) helps us to become better Muslims and removes our sins.

About the question you asked - is there any reason why openly proclaiming your Islam will be a problem? Generally speaking, the people taking care of you shouldn't have a problem with your religious choices, and in fact might even put you in contact with a Muslim chaplain if you ask (although I'm not sure if there will be one available where you are). However, I don't know the specific circumstances of where you are and if you believe that you might be in danger of openly proclaiming your Islam, then you can keep it to yourself and worship Allaah (swt) in private. Then when you feel it is safe, you can openly proclaim your Islam at a later stage. But in any case, you are already a Muslim from the moment you pronounce the shahadah.

May Allaah (swt) keep you steadfast, protect you and give you complete shifaa', Aameen.

P.S. In your spare time, try to read or listen to the Qur'an as much as possible, because the Qur'an is a guidance from Allaah (swt) and a cure. It will remove sadness and fill you with peace and contentment. :)

O mankind, there has to come to you instruction from your Lord and healing for what is in the breasts and guidance and mercy for the believers. Say,"In the bounty of Allāh and in His mercy – in that let them rejoice; it is better than what they accumulate." [Surah Yunus: 57-58]

Woodrow
10-03-2010, 04:09 PM
:sl:

If you are seeing a therapist for regular counseling, discuss this with your therapist first and get suggestions from your therapist about the best way to approach this with your family.

My fear is that your family will not consider your reversion sincere and think it is a manifestation of your illness. This you want to avoid. Speak first with somebody you can trust and who knows a little about your family. If you have a therapist that would be the best person, in my opinion.

If you are not working regularly with a therapist (Your psychiatrist is not a therapist) take a slow calm approach with your family. Begin by discussing Islam in general terms and let them know you have found truth in it.

Do things slow and with the understanding your family is not going to understand at first.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
FS123
10-03-2010, 05:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Azrael
Should I openly proclaim my devotion to islam ir just keep it to myself? This is a tricky question I reckon but I hope you brothers and sisters can give me so me advice.
I recommend keep it a secret at home for now because they might send you for psychiatric care over Islam -- I have heard cases. It could become a problem.

Btw, salat helps me in psychological issues; second, get out in the sun, sports, etc.. that helps a lot. (ps in addition to br Woodrow has said).

Just my opinion

Ibrahim_K
10-03-2010, 07:04 PM
Asalamu aleykum brothers and sisters

I've told my psychiatrist that I am going to revert when we spoke lately and he said it was my own choise - if I feel better with islam it's no one's business. I've also told the personell at the treatment center that I don't eat pork out of religious reasons because both the holy Quran and the Torah prohiibits it. This they have accepted and when another patient overheard this and something along the lines of the holy Quran and the Torah being fairytales they said to him firm that it's OK to follow such guidelines.

They know that I am religious and reads the holy Quran but they don't know that I have taken the shahada and prays in a muslim manners and gives zakkat to the Red Cross and other foundations out of religios reasons.

Great to get some help from you bros and sisters. Tomorrow I'm going to tell them about islam in a calm manner and tell them that my devotion to islam Allah swt and the prophet Muhammad peace be upon hiim is not their matter.

I'll update you.

FS123
10-03-2010, 07:59 PM
Good luck! :)

----------

serena77
10-16-2010, 12:22 AM
Greetings in peace
I wanted to say thank you for this thread - and also in turn those who have replied - i have bipolar disorder and aspergers syndrome ( to me.. one positive ... one negative.. ) When i first started studying somewhat about Islam and even consisdering thinking about reverting it was a big concern for me. As in, how does Islam view mental illness.... would i be accepted though i have mental issues. I have found the answer to be yes, though as one of my friends explained, Yes, as long as, you do what you can to manage it.. I do ... sometimes more sucessful than others.... but it has meant so much to know that i wouldn't be ostrisized. I once had a boss tell me if i believed in God correctly i wouldn't have any problems. Oh if only that were true.

i have not yet reverted but it has made me feel better knowing even w/ bipolar disorder... i would still be accepted.... or.. if some didnt accept me it would be less likely due to the illness :)

as for when you should tell them.. I think I too would be careful who i told and when. one thing you don't want them to just think you wishing to do so is in relation to your illness. If your going through a rough cycle and expect it to subside, maybe wait until that happens. If you want to go to a Mosque could you just tell them you are looking at different religious thoughts and wanted to see what a mosque was like? ( just a thought )

know regardless you aren't alone and a heartfelt thank you.
Peace to you and all here.
Serena

Ramadhan
10-16-2010, 09:41 AM
Allah has made everything in this world as a test for us whether we deserve paradise.
our happiness, our sadness, our failures, our successes, etc etc
We will be judged based on our attitude and actions (efforts) towards everything that Allah has given us.
even our physical and mental sicknesses will count towards expiation of our sins IF we are sabr (patient) and grateful, and keep doing as much as we can to obey Allah SWT.

format_quote Originally Posted by serena77
If you want to go to a Mosque could you just tell them you are looking at different religious thoughts and wanted to see what a mosque was like? ( just a thought )
yes you can. You may want to call beforehand, so an Imam or somebody else can meet you and talk with you.
Or you can just go and see a mosque, just be mindful to cover yourself.
Just a note though, there is almost nothing inside a mosque. A mosque is mostly just a building where muslims can go in to perform shalah in congregration or to find solace in reading qur'an.
You may want to maximise the benefits of going to a mosque by meeting a learned muslims (maybe the imam of the mosque) to talk with you.

Ramadhan
10-16-2010, 09:41 AM
double post.

deleted.

serena77
10-16-2010, 02:01 PM
salaam naidamar
the part i said above about telling them he was just going to the mosque to look around was so the people he was working w/ wouldn't be suspicious of his goals.
That said - as i've never been to a mosque ... thats good to know :)

Serena

Muhaba
10-16-2010, 03:41 PM
May Allah help you and make things easier for you. don't listen to music as it will tire your mind. music isn't good for the mind.

serena77
10-21-2010, 01:17 AM
same topic but different subject.
i'm bipolar and i have high functioning autism.... Lately things haven't been good i'm trying new medications and all for the bipolar... i'm always worried that w/ Islam i will have problems w/ the mental illnesses.. the high functioning autism ( HFA or aspergers ) .. i wouldn't trade. I do always worry though..and I being wrong in admitting it .... do i have to worry that i'll be as told how wrong i am the same as i have been in christianity... IE i had a boss once that told me that if i believed in God the right way i wouldn't be sick.

Serena

جوري
10-21-2010, 02:09 AM
E i had a boss once that told me that if i believed in God the right way i wouldn't be sick

whaaaaaaaaa?

Everyone faces challenges and rejections and annoyances.. it is just life.. folks with Asperger's are actually considered savants -- I can't imagine you'd consider that a problem.. we have a genius member here on board who is also a convert with the same condition...

here is a book that I think might benefit you:

http://www.amazon.com/Genius-Genes-A.../dp/1931282447

people from Einstein, Newton, even Bill gates..

Please embrace who you are whatever religion you subscribe.. and learn to see these challenges as a blessing that grounds you and adds complexity to your person..

all the best

serena77
10-21-2010, 09:48 PM
almost the only time the aspergers bothers me is when i read things COMPLETELY differently than everyone else. It was great for grad. level english classes because i can explain why i see it as such.... the bipolar.... another story.... i know not all religions accept mental illness as real... and honestly i was so thankful when i found out i wouldn't have the same problem if i reverted. Trust me it was one of those moments when your heart just sings (without music of course... ) .... it still worries me at times becase of some of the experiences i've had but i always try and remember that could be the case no matter where i am....
Thank you for your kind words, and the book reference i'll have to look that one up.
Serena

Woodrow
10-27-2010, 01:27 PM
same topic but different subject.
i'm bipolar and i have high functioning autism.... Lately things haven't been good i'm trying new medications and all for the bipolar... i'm always worried that w/ Islam i will have problems w/ the mental illnesses.. the high functioning autism ( HFA or aspergers ) .. i wouldn't trade. I do always worry though..and I being wrong in admitting it .... do i have to worry that i'll be as told how wrong i am the same as i have been in christianity... IE i had a boss once that told me that if i believed in God the right way i wouldn't be sick.

Serena
Mental Illness is just that, an illness. It has no bearing on one's morality or character it is simply a trial of life. The disease is not the problem, but how we handle the challenge can make it either a blessing or a curse. It is a great thing to face the challenges we are given and to conquer them with the help of Allaah(swt). No Muslim will fault any one for having a challenge to face. We all have challenges and in fact it often seems the stronger our belief and trust in Allaah(swt) becomes, the greater challenges we have to face. Perhaps that is only fair as it does take a very strong trial to fully test a pious person.

serena77
10-27-2010, 10:34 PM
woodrow
thank you... this may or may not surprise you... but for many.... its a horrible thing and the people w/ mental illness still today should be locked away. Now don't get me wrong...on occasion I'd love a week in a padded cell.... but i get very little validation like what you just posted and as i am having some serious issues w/ meds and the illness itself... its much apprciated.
Salaam
Serena

Woodrow
10-27-2010, 11:08 PM
woodrow
thank you... this may or may not surprise you... but for many.... its a horrible thing and the people w/ mental illness still today should be locked away. Now don't get me wrong...on occasion I'd love a week in a padded cell.... but i get very little validation like what you just posted and as i am having some serious issues w/ meds and the illness itself... its much apprciated.
Salaam
Serena
Bi-polar disorder is often a blessing in disguise especially if the person is slow cycle. Some noted people who suffered yet probably achieved what they did because they had the disorder.

A

* Rigoberto Alpizar, shooting victim.[1]
* Sophie Anderton, model.[2]
* Adam Ant, musician.[3]
* Emilie Autumn, musician.[4]

[edit] B

* Andy Behrman, author of the book Electroboy: A Memoir of Mania.[5][6]
* Max Bemis, frontman of the band Say Anything, spoke about his diagnosis in an interview with Spin magazine in 2006.[7]
* Maurice Benard, actor. He has discussed his diagnosis with Oprah Winfrey, and has since become active in promoting bipolar awareness.[8]
* Ludwig Boltzmann, physicist and mathematician. He "suffered from an alternation of depressed moods with elevated, expansive or irritable moods." [9]
* Adrian Borland, British musician.[10]
* Russell Brand, comedian and actor. "In a low-key admission at the end of the book, he says he was finally diagnosed with bipolar disorder – manic depression – after he kicked the drugs for good in 2002 which goes some way to explaining his almost superhuman indifference to the chaos and catastrophe that almost lead him to obscurity."[11]
* Andrea Breth, German stage-director.[12]
* Jeremy Brett, actor.[13]
* Frank Bruno, boxer; was hospitalized for a short period and is currently on lithium.[14][15][16]
* Barney Bubbles, graphic designer.[17][18]

[edit] C

* Robert Calvert, former Hawkwind frontman.[19][20]
* Alastair Campbell, press advisor.[21][22]
* Georg Cantor, mathematician. Cantor's recurring bouts of depression from 1884 to the end of his life were once blamed on the hostile attitude of many of his contemporaries,[23] but these bouts can now be seen as probable manifestations of bipolar disorder.[24]
* Dick Cavett, television journalist. "CAVETT: Both in hypomanic, which I have had, and incidentally, one has to admit many patients say I am cured now, I am fine. But I must say I miss those hypomanic states. They are better off where they are."[25]
* Iris Chang, historian and journalist for the San Francisco Chronicle.[26]
* John Clare, poet.[27][28]
* Kurt Cobain, musician. His cousin, Beverly Cobain, a "registered nurse (…) [with] experience as a mental health professional" and author of a book, When Nothing Matters Anymore: A Survival Guide for Depressed Teens ISBN 1-57542-036-8, stated in an interview: "Kurt was diagnosed at a young age with Attention Deficit Disorder [ADD], then later with bipolar disorder; (…) As Kurt undoubtedly knew, bipolar illness can be very difficult to manage, and the correct diagnosis is crucial. Unfortunately for Kurt, compliance with the appropriate treatment is also a critical factor."[29]
* Rosemary Clooney, singer and actress.[30]
* Patricia Cornwell, American crime writer.[31][32]
* Robert S. Corrington, theologist. In his book Riding the Windhorse: Manic-Depressive Disorder and the Quest for Wholeness[33] he gives a personal account of his own struggles with the condition.
* Michael Costa, former Australian Labor party politician and Treasurer of NSW. "Mr Costa said a number of state parliamentary colleagues approached him about their mental health problems after he publicly revealed his battle with bipolar disorder in 2001."[34]
* Vincent Crane, keyboard player of Atomic Rooster.[35]

[edit] D

* Ray Davies, musician: is openly bipolar; also see his autobiography, X-Ray.
* Mike Doughty, musician. First described himself diagnosed as bipolar in 2007 on his blog.[36]
* Richard Dreyfuss, actor, BBC Documentary.[37]
* Patty Duke, actress.[38]

[edit] E
[edit] F

* Carrie Fisher, actress and writer. "'I ended up being diagnosed as a bipolar II,' says Fisher."[37][39]
* Connie Francis, singer.[40]
* Stephen Fry, actor, comedian and writer. "As a sufferer of the disorder, Stephen Fry is speaking to other sufferers to find out about their experiences and visiting leading experts in the UK and US to examine the current state of understanding and research." Stephen has recorded a documentary about the life of the manic depressive which aired on the BBC.[37]
* Justin Furstenfeld, Lead singer of the band, "Blue October".[41]

[edit] G

* Alan Garner, novelist. According to the Guardian, "In The Voice that Thunders (Harvill), a collection of critical and autobiographical essays, Garner casts light on his writing and thinking, and the role that manic depression plays in his creativity".[42][43]
* Paul Gascoigne, English footballer. "His second book, released this year, centres on his therapy - for alcoholism, eating disorders, OCD, and bipolar disorder, among others."[44]
* Mel Gibson, actor and director.[45]
* Matthew Good, Canadian musician. He first disclosed his illness in a personal blog. It was during the writing and recording of Hospital Music that he suffered one of his worst episodes.[46]
* Philip Graham, publisher and businessman. "It had finally penetrated to me that Phil's diagnosis was manic-depression…" Katherine Graham (1997), Personal History, p. 328; Knopf, 1997, ISBN 0-394-58585-2 (book has numerous other references).
* Macy Gray, musician and actor. As documented in an interview with Saul Williams[47]
* Graham Greene, English novelist.[48] Extract from Graham Greene: A Life in Letters]: "Greene was managing the impulses of bipolar illness, involving mood swings from elation, expansiveness or irritability to despair and would quickly be guilty of repeated infidelities."
* Ivor Gurney, English composer and poet.[49]

[edit] H

* Terry Hall, lead singer of The Specials.[50]
* Linda Hamilton, actress. Star of the Terminator movies. Was diagnosed at the age of 40.[51]
* Mariette Hartley, American actress, has publicly spoken about her bipolar disorder.[52]
* Jonathan Hay, Australian rules footballer[53]
* Ernest Hemingway, writer [54][55]
* Kristin Hersh, musician, formerly of rock band Throwing Muses, has spoken about her bipolar disorder.[56]
* Abbie Hoffman, political activist: "Abbie was diagnosed in 1980 as having bipolar disorder, more commonly known as manic depression." [57]
* Marya Hornbacher, writer. Hornbacher wrote Madness, a memoir of her struggle with bipolar disorder, after writing Wasted, which detailed her eating disorder.

[edit] I

* Jack Irons, drummer, formerly of Red Hot Chili Peppers and Pearl Jam.[58]

[edit] J

* Kay Redfield Jamison, clinical psychologist and Professor of Psychiatry at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, who profiled her own bipolar disorder in her 1995 memoir An Unquiet Mind and argued for a connection between bipolar disorder and artistic creativity in her 1993 book, Touched with Fire.
* Daniel Johnston, musician: "Johnston's output in his late teens and early 20s proved to be a symptom of his worsening manic depression." The Guardian Unlimited, Saturday August 20, 2005: "Personal demons", review of film, The Devil and Daniel Johnston:[59]
* Andrew Johns, Professional Rugby League Player. — has gone public about his condition.[60]

[edit] K

* Kerry Katona, English television presenter, writer, magazine columnist and former pop singer with girl band Atomic Kitten. BBC[61]
* Rep. Patrick J. Kennedy has been open about mental health issues, including being diagnosed with bipolar disorder.[62]
* Otto Klemperer, conductor.[63]
* Margot Kidder, actress — self-described:[64]
* Patrick Kroupa, writer and hacker, has been very open about his drug use and mental health issues, after his last heroin detox in 1999. He mentions bipolar disorder openly in several interviews.[65][66][67]

[edit] L

* Vivien Leigh, actress[68]
* Jenifer Lewis, American actress, spoke about her diagnosis on Oprah in September 2007.[69]
* Bill Lichtenstein, print and broadcast journalist and documentary filmmaker, profiled in Time magazine, October 10, 1994.[70]
* Jack London, American author [71]

[edit] M

* Marshall Mathers (Eminem), musician.[72]. Eminem speaks openly in his lyrics about being manic, taking lithium, and taking Seroquel.
* Arthur McIntyre, Australian artist.[73]
* Kristy McNichol, actress. The former child star and teen idol left the show Empty Nest due to her battle with the depression. McNichol later returned to the show for a few episodes during the series' last season.[74][75][76][77][78]
* Burgess Meredith, actor; with cyclothymia (milder bipolar disorder).[79]
* Kate Millett, author, The Loony-Bin Trip (1990) discusses her diagnosis of bipolar disorder, describing experiences with hospitalization and her decision to discontinue lithium therapy.
* Spike Milligan, comedian. [80]
* Ben Moody, musician. The former guitarist from Evanescence.[81]
* John A. Mulheren, American financier, stock and option trader and philanthropist.[82]
* Edvard Munch, artist.Rothenberg, A (2001). "Bipolar illness, creativity, and treatment". The Psychiatric quarterly 72 (2): 131–47. doi:10.1023/A:1010367525951. PMID 11433879. edit
* Robert Munsch, author.[83]

[edit] N

* Florence Nightingale, nurse and health campaigner. BPW "Florence heard voices and experienced a number of severe depressive episodes in her teens and early 20s - symptoms consistent with the onset of bipolar disorder", Dr. Kathy Wisner, a professor of psychiatry at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.[84]

[edit] O

* Sinéad O'Connor, musician. She discussed her diagnosis in a Guardian interview in 2010.[85]
* Graeme Obree, Scottish racing cyclist. World hour record 1993. Individual pursuit world champion in 1993 and 1995. Cited in 2003 autobiography, Flying Scotsman: Cycling to Triumph Through My Darkest Hours and 2006 film.
* Phil Ochs, musician.[86]
* Bill Oddie, naturalist, comedian and television presenter.[87][88]
* Ozzy Osbourne, singer. Lead singer of Black Sabbath and his self-titled band. Cited in VH1's "Heavy: The History of Metal" in 2006.
* Cheri Oteri, actress. Saturday Night Live Cast Member. Cited in Shales T.& Miller A. (2002) Live From New York, A Uncensored History of Saturday Night Live.
* Craig Owens, singer for American band Chiodos.[89]

[edit] P

* Nicola Pagett, actor. Wrote about her bipolar disorder in her autobiography Diamonds Behind My Eyes ISBN 0575602678
* Emma Parker Bowles, model.[90]
* Jaco Pastorius, jazz musician. "Jaco was diagnosed with this clinical bipolar condition in the fall of 1982. The events which led up to it were considered "uncontrolled and reckless" incidences."[91]
* Jane Pauley, TV presenter and journalist. The former Today and Dateline host describes being diagnosed with bipolar disorder in her autobiography "Skywriting: A Life Out of the Blue", which she wrote in 2004, as well as on her short-lived talk show.[92][93][94][95][96][97]
* Edgar Allan Poe, poet and writer.[98][99][100]
* Jackson Pollock, American artist.[101]
* Gail Porter, British TV presenter.[102]
* Emil Post, mathematician.[103]
* Charley Pride, country music artist. (autobiography) Pride: The Charley Pride Story. Publisher: Quill (May 1995). "Pride discusses business ventures that succeeded and those that failed, as well as his bouts with manic depression. He tells his story with no bitterness but lots of homespun advice and humor."

[edit] R

* Rene Rivkin, entrepreneur.[104]
* Barret Robbins, former NFL Pro Bowler.[105]
* Axl Rose, lead singer and frontman best known for Guns N' Roses.[106] "I went to a clinic, thinking it would help my moods. The only thing I did was take one 500-question test - ya know, filling in the little black dots. All of sudden I'm diagnosed manic-depressive."
* Richard Rossi, filmmaker, musician, and maverick minister, revealed for the first time in a live interview on the Lynn Cullen show on June 5, 2008 the link between his artistic productivity and his depression to bipolar disorder, stating that "my father was bi-polar one, and I'm bi-polar two." He spoke of the relationship between creativity and the illness.

[edit] S

* Robert Schumann, German composer[107][108][109]
* Nina Simone, American singer. Interview with her daughter Simone, The Sunday Times June 24, 2007[110]
* Michael Slater, International Australian cricketer, forced to retire because of related symptoms.[111][112]
* Tony Slattery, actor and comedian.[37] "I rented a huge warehouse by the river Thames. I just stayed in there on my own, didn't open the mail or answer the phone for months and months and months. I was just in a pool of despair and mania." BBC Documentary[37]
* Sidney Sheldon, producer, writer; wrote about being a victim of bipolar disorder in his autobiography The Other Side of Me.
* Tim Smith, rugby league player whose career with NRL side Parramatta Eels was ended due to his bipolar condition, and pressure from the media.[113]
* Peter Steele, frontman, Type O Negative.[114][115]
* Patrick Stump, frontman, Fall Out Boy. Record producer. Also see Pete Wentz (below).[116]
* Stuart Sutherland, British psychologist and writer[117]

[edit] T

* Steven Thomas, American entrepreneur.[118][119]
* Gene Tierney, Academy Award nominated actress, Best Actress (1945).[120]
* Devin Townsend, musician, Strapping Young Lad, The Devin Townsend Band. He took himself off of his medication to write lyrics for Strapping Young Lad's album Alien.[121]
* Nick Traina, singer.,[122] "in the last year of his life, he began telling people he was manic-depressive."
* Timothy Treadwell, American environmentalist and bear enthusiast, featured in the 2005 documentary film by Werner Herzog titled Grizzly Man.[123][124]
* Margaret Trudeau, Canadian celebrity and ex-wife of former Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Elliot Trudeau (deceased). She now travels Canada and other countries speaking out against the stigmas on mental illness[125]

[edit] V

* Jean-Claude Van Damme, actor.[126][127]
* Vincent Van Gogh, artist [128][129][130] (among numerous other hypotheses)
* Townes Van Zandt, singer-songwriter[131]
* Mark Vonnegut, author.[132]

[edit] W

* Ruby Wax, comedian.[133][134]
* Scott Weiland, musician. (Stone Temple Pilots, Velvet Revolver)[135]
* Pete Wentz, musician. Fall Out Boy[136]
* Mark Whitacre, business executive described in the true story movie, The Informant.[137]
* Brian Wilson, musician, founding member of The Beach Boys.[138]
* Virginia Woolf, writer.[139]
SOURCE

serena77
10-27-2010, 11:11 PM
you said the major words.... slow cycle. then those are lucky enough to cycle b ut at least have some time to know what they are in for. For me..... its much worse. I can cycle...several times in a day.... and get that cat on a hot tin roof feeling often... you know... can't sit still have to move... i work a job where i have to sit pretty still... for long stretches at a time... andi do my job realitively well and it doesn't always require enough thought to keep my head busy..

My one odd wish... I wish my mania was the lets clean house type as opposed to the anxious and *sad to admit * anger... but at least its never directed towards anyone and for that i have a lot ot be thankful for.
Serena

Woodrow
10-27-2010, 11:28 PM
you said the major words.... slow cycle. then those are lucky enough to cycle b ut at least have some time to know what they are in for. For me..... its much worse. I can cycle...several times in a day.... and get that cat on a hot tin roof feeling often... you know... can't sit still have to move... i work a job where i have to sit pretty still... for long stretches at a time... andi do my job realitively well and it doesn't always require enough thought to keep my head busy..

My one odd wish... I wish my mania was the lets clean house type as opposed to the anxious and *sad to admit * anger... but at least its never directed towards anyone and for that i have a lot ot be thankful for.
Serena
People who are fast cycle usually have exceptionally high IQs and function best in high stress, fast paced jobs such as Air traffic controllers, Doctors, College Professors, Psychiatrists, Animal trainers, Pilots, etc.
Many will soon develop the ability to control their cycle (It becomes automatic) and stay hyper-manic while under stress, but crash for a few hours after work and go into deep depression for a short time, then fall asleep ready and refreshed to begin a new day. The advantage is that while working under stress a fast cycler seems to be immune to fatigue and can carry on non stop for an incredible length of time.

Muhaba
10-28-2010, 08:27 AM
May Allah help you, sister Serena, and give you health. I can't imagine what life must be like having such challenges. It's truly a test and Allah will reward the one afflicted by it, insha-Allah.

serena77
10-30-2010, 05:22 PM
thank you sister muhaba
that means a lot tome....
still having meds issues and i'll tell you sometimes that is a LOT worse than just the ailment itself.
one of my friends in fact refuses to see that there is a problem.. considers there to be nothing wrong and that I'm perfectly fine. Its sweet of him on some levels.. in others... he's a dear friend and all i just wish i could have him for support.
Serena

Muhaba
10-31-2010, 02:43 AM
^Sister Serena, I hope Allah cures you. you might want to read surah Al-fatiha (the first chapter of the Quran) over yourself. It helps cure diseases and i've seen it's benefits myself so it might help in psychiatric illnesses as well. i read a story about bipolar and don't agree with your friend if he's suggesting that you stop taking medications, since in the story a guy stopped taking his medications and did some wierd stuff. I hope I haven't offended you in any way.

serena77
10-31-2010, 03:13 AM
offended? no no....
i wouldn't stop the meds..s. no matter what my friend says... he has always thought it was my living conditions that cuased the problems... and i actually do read al fathia quite often i love the opening sura..... and i'm' working to memorize it in english so i can then slowly work to memorize it in arabic.
i have stopped taking my meds before.... for stupid reasons.... i wouldn't stop w/o knowing i would be safe if i did

no offense taken... at all.... reply is appreciated actually.
Serena

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!